[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

More an occasional lurker of /an/, but recent family situation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

File: hares.jpg (195KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
hares.jpg
195KB, 720x1280px
More an occasional lurker of /an/, but recent family situation got me to post this. I'm home for a few days with family for reasons, and I learned that they've adopted two small hares to raise until they're ready to be set free. The situation is that my dad was plowing some land with his horse (he likes doing oldtimey stuff with horse), and discovered he ran over a hare burrow/den/nest/thing. These two were the only survivors. On sister's pushing they're trying to rear them to safety for releasing now, like said. They're currently giving them some goatbased milk "for small mammals" 4 times a day, and mum mentioned that she doesn't know when to move them to solids. Anyone know more about this/experience with hares? Likelyhood of succes? Also general saving wild animals general I guess?
>>
File: hares 2.jpg (193KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
hares 2.jpg
193KB, 960x1280px
A topdown pic of their current box. They're on lap whilst they get bottlefed
>>
File: hares 3.png (44KB, 144x150px) Image search: [Google]
hares 3.png
44KB, 144x150px
And finally a shot of one of the cuties trying to climb over my chest/shoulder after feeding
>>
>>2082373
Dunno too much about wild animals or hares, but here's this:
http://www.orphanedwildlifecare.com/rabbitandhare.htm

They seem to be under 2 weeks, maybe someone else will weigh in on that. Pick up a heating pad, should be just $10 and will help a lot.
>>
>>2082373
It is very difficult to keep them without them panicked and having heart attacks. In fact that's probably the most common death for me. They can die from 'fear' just from hearing a lawn mower or plane outside and not having anywhere to go. Also they shouldn't be handled for fun; momma Rabbit only comes to the nest to feed, as to not attract predators. Unfortunately the momma Rabbit could still be guarding the nest if her babies were not taken away. Anyways they should only be held for feeding, which should happen every 2 hours including night until they are weaned. In the wild, momma Rabbit only feeds twice during the dawn and dusk, but we don't have commercial rabbit milk and you will have to settle for goat's milk instead. Becuase of the nutritional difference, goats milk needs to be fed to baby rabbits every 2 hours to sustain them, or they will slowly drift away. They also need to be kept warm. A heated water bottle wrapped in a towel does well, just continue to replace it every feeding. When feeding, make sure you aren't going too fast. If milk comes out of the nose, then you are choking it with milk. There is a Heimlich for small animals, however that would break a rabbits back. So if that happens you just have to hope a baby bunny can survive with milk in its lungs because there isn't much that can be done for it.

Or you can find small animal rehab in your area by contacting the DEC

In the future, put the rabbits back where you found them even if momma Rabbit can't be seen (she shouldn't be able to be seen), because momma Rabbit just watched all of her babies die.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.