[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best parrot species to start out with? I want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

File: cockatiel_care.jpg (71KB, 347x346px) Image search: [Google]
cockatiel_care.jpg
71KB, 347x346px
What's the best parrot species to start out with? I want to eventually own other birds like a conure or Senegal, and maybe a cockatoo if I was in a position where I could properly care for one
>>
Nothing will prepare you for a cockatoo except a cockatoo. While parrots in general are a big responsibility, I would never recommend any 'cockatoo' species to anyone except cockatiels. Really, OP. Yeah theyre cute and funny in some videos but even experienced, long time parrot owners tend to avoid them because they are a huge hassle.
Senegals are a no-go if you plan on owning any other birds in the future, and they tend to be violent towards other animals as well. Some are 'ok' with it but it's not a risk you should take, and it would not be fair to force it.

Conures(particularly green cheeks, but i have known some relatively quiet sun conures) are a good 'beginner' parrot if you're looking for larger parrots in the future. While they aren't that much of a hassle, I still see them as a sort of in between when it comes to responsibility and care. You can also leave them for a few hours without them losing their fucking minds. Caiques are also great, lovely, funny guys from what I hear but I do not have personal experience with them.

Here's an example of a green cheek and just how interactive and playful they can be. While they may not look as impressive as a bigger parrot, the small/medium ones tend to be more playful like this. Ignore the weird parts where he is touching under the tail.. Do not do that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8QwBpj9hgA
And here is a caique having a good time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-4KArFR08
>>
you don't really start out with parrots, as they all live a really long time.
>>
File: Snapchat-3588324791678858766.jpg (549KB, 1440x2413px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-3588324791678858766.jpg
549KB, 1440x2413px
get a parrotlet, same personality of a parrot but the bites are tolerable and they are not loud..
>>
>>2080289

Cockatiels are bro tier.
>>
do some research and see what kind of parrot best fits what you want in a pet, cuz this >>2080321
is completely true, birds are a commitment you can't really get one thinking "i'll start with this and then end up with a bigger one" cuz you'll likely still have the one you started with and a larger bird probably won't be good to keep around with whatever you decided on...

cockatoos really don't make good pets, most larger birds don't unless you have a lot of time, money, and possibly 60 years to devote to them... as cool as they can be, it's really not fair to the bird to keep it in most cases

i don't have a ton of experience with different kinds of birds, but i have 2 budgies and a green cheek conure... both kinds make good pets, though my conure is significantly more affectionate, and the difference in size makes things like finding harnesses and such easier so taking her out is more doable... i had a few budgies before the 2 i have now, and they're really underrated birds... and my green cheek is exactly what i wanted in a pet that's more of a companion... she's sorta like a really small dog with feathers

a lot of people in my family have kept birds so i've been around macaws, a cockatoo, cockatiels, and a quaker parrot... and of those i preferred the cockatoo, but i also didn't have to live with it... and it did shit like scream for a solid hour every time it had to go to bed... sweet as fuck, but the noise was a huge issue... the quaker parrot was easily the meanest piece of shit bird i've ever been around, and i think cockatiels are sorta boring... macaws are nice and all, but their beaks are capable of too much damage for me to feel comfortable with them (same with any larger bird really, and birds do bite so that's something to consider)

if you think you'll want multiple birds in the future, some species tolerate that better than others, so check that out first
>>
>>2080718
>it's really not fair to the bird to keep it in most cases

But it's okay to exploit cockatiels, parrotlets, conures etc. because they don't have any feelings?

I don't understand people like you. It's like you use arguments geared by vegans trying to dispute the concept of pet ownership entirely but possess severe cognitive dissonance toward the species you happen to care about.

Fact of the matter is all pscittacines are extremely intelligent and a moral.argument can be made against owning any parrot species in general. You can't just cite welfare of the bird in one instance and then do the exact opposite in practice. You're depriving any and all pets you own from ever experiencing nature or more than one or two members of its own species for the sum total of its life, and that's true whether or not it's a cockatiel with a lifespan of 20 or a Hyacinth Macaw with a lifespan of 60.

Most people shouldn't own pets in general, but they do anyway.

Ideally OP would get zebra finches.
>>
>>2080731

cockatoos need more attention and care than most people can provide, not to mention space... it's different than keeping a smaller bird... they're also more prone to neurotic behaviour cuz of their extreme requirements when it comes to mental stimulation and whatnot

most smaller parrots, while needing plenty of attention and shit, don't have as many issues when kept as pets... so it isn't the same... when i say it isn't fair to the bird, i'm saying in most cases the kinda care that a cockatoo needs isn't something most people can provide... yes other parrots are highly intelligent, and all that, but there is a difference...

also having a pet that you provide for during yours and its lifetime isn't the same as having one that will likely be around after you're dead, and then who cares for it? sure shit can happen, but the difference between shit that can happen in 20 years is huge in comparison to 60... cockatoos are the most frequently rehomed birds for a reason, and that isn't fair to the bird at all to not have a stable environment throughout its life...

there are some people who are capable of keeping a cockatoo, and i see nothing wrong with it if they can... but that's not most cases, and when you get a pet that requires a longterm commitment you need to keep that in mind

when people say things like "budgies only need an hour of out of the cage time" or "conures only need 4 hours a day" in my experience neither of those things are true and they all require much more time and attention than that on a regular basis, which my birds get and they're very happy... but cockatoos need even more of everything, in addition to being so loud i've heard of people needing to get rid of them due to noise complaints... it's just not the same

it has nothing to do with "depriving them of nature" or any of that shit you're going on about (none of which was said by me)

before you go getting all pissy why don't you actually read?
>>
>>2080742

+ when i say cockatoos don't make good pets, i'm saying it cuz of the issues people have when keeping them... i've heard (from cockatoo owners btw) that they don't make good pets... that's not me saying "they belong in the wild" it's me saying, "they can be cute and fun, but actually dealing with them day to day isn't even for most people who like keeping birds"
>>
>>2080289
OP whatever you go with I wouldn't recommend a cockatoo. www.mytoos.com/ can show you what they're like in a non YouTube cute animal video way. They bond with their owner in a way which means they get frustrated when they come to sexual maturity.

I have a caique so if you're curious do ask.
>>
>>2080338
Finally another parrotlet anon here. I had one and it was fucking great, affectionate, playful, quirky and qt as fuck
>>
>>2080742
>glossing over the care requirements a smaller bird needs because "its m-muh bird"

typical

continue abusing your animals anon ;)
>>
>>2080289
Tiels are easy if a bit boring and budgies are dead easy if you have at least two of them. My favorite is GCCs though, they're more like what most people expect out of a pet, a cuddly companion that's easily trained and handled.

Cockatoos are one of the best large bird pets but that just makes them the top of the bottom, large birds make for shit pets.
>>
>>2080806

my birds are far from abused... why would you say otherwise when you know absolutely nothing about their care?

i wake up every day when they do to let them out of their cages, i cook for them and make sure their food is fresh and changed every couple of hours... same with their water... if i go out i come home after a couple hours to change their food, clean up their cages and let them fly around before i go back out or i wait 'til after their bedtime to do anything, they have a set routine, they get to go outside, their cages are fully cleaned at least once a day, sometimes more... i have health issues and can't work so i have tons of time with them, and most days i spend hours with my budgies (almost the whole time they're awake) and the entire time she's awake i'm with my green cheek (or my s/o is), i've gotten my budgies tamed down to the point where they will fly to me, and go in their cage when i ask etc, and my green cheek knows a few tricks and i spend time with her every day teaching her things (she's currently learning colours and counting) and playing with her (i play with the budgies as well), they all talk a bit, they all respond to me when i make noise or talk to them, they all song and chill with me when i play guitar... my green cheek will cuddle with me and lay in my hands to be pet... they bathe frequently, i take them to the vet, they get new toys all the time that i rotate and move around their shared playground etc etc etc, i changed a lot of things in my life around for them...

and that was exactly my point, they're 2 budgies and a green cheek conure, both of which are less prone to issues than a cockatoo, but they need all still need plenty and are a lot of work... a bird like a cockatoo is even more work, and i'm not the only one who said that... and yet i'm the only one you're talking shit to, while you put words in my mouth and shouting "abuse" at
>>
>>2080869

sing* my bad...

i never once glossed over small bird care, as a matter of fact i said in my experience what people claim is "the minimum" is far from enough of what the actual minimum for a bird is...
>>
>>2080742

Anon what the fuck is wrong with you? Coming on here ranting about this shit. A pet bird would NEVER survive in the wild. Would you rather it just sit in a pet store or with a seller for the rest of its life? Quit acting all high and mighty and go somewhere else, you're easily the biggest sperglord I have seen recently.
>>
>>2080869

>health issues

Autism is not a "health issue", birdboy
>>
>>2080890

physical health issues aren't autism

>>2080887

show me where i said that birds bred to be pets belong in the wild
>>
>>2080901

I don't want to go.sifting through your novel full of whiny bitching again to find it. Sorry to deny your autism.

And anon your health issues are probably bullshit or you're milking them. You're just a loser who can't be bothered to work.
>>
>>2080912

eh, even if you sifted through my "novel" you wouldn't find it was my point... never said it

as for my health issues... i can't change what you've already decided to think of me, and i really don't care to either... it's alright that you've decided that you know me intimately after a single interaction where you didn't read most of what i said, and decided to be insulting immediately... it says more about you than it ever will about me so it's cool...

have a nice day and shit... i'm gonna, today's been pretty fucking lucky so far...
>>
>>2080939

Why don't you tell us what you're "suffering" from then instead of being a vague little bitch?

It's obvious that you're just some beta faggot who would rather collect disability than actually work for a living.

I hope you have a shit day for being a liar and taking advantage of the system.
>>
>>2080948

lol you should consider writing, you build characters quickly... i mean, i'll be honest this one is stereotypical, and not very well thought out, but i'm sure you could work on it...

sorry you're so bitter that you feel the need to hope for bad things to happen in other people's lives cuz you've decided you don't like them after speaking to them once, and not at all paying attention to what was said... and honestly i'm sorry that you're the kinda person who judges people that harshly while knowing fuckall other than things you've made up based on stereotypes and caricatures of people... that shit's sad as hell... must be hard being you

i'd tell you what was wrong, but i feel no need to talk deeply about something like that with you... or everyone... and even if i did, what difference would it make? you've already decided who i am and what i go through so the truth won't change that... i know i could be completely honest with you about my life, and you would decide you were right anyway... you're not here to see it yourself, so there's nothing i could say that'd make a difference, so why bother? think what you'd like, i don't give a damn, you've made an awful first impression and it's unlikely we'll talk again so it's exactly the same to me whether you know the truth or not...

you can be "right" if you want, it's fine with me
>>
>>2080959

>all this denial

You won't tell me because deep down you know it's not a legitimate problem. if you provided an actual case as to what is wrong with you, I would probably believe it. But instead you just vaguely talk about how you have "health problems" which leads me to believe that you're just a liar. So tell me what's such a problem that you can't work?
>>
>>2080961

what difference does it make to you? you've already decided i don't have a legit one and that i also take advantage of the system, you've already decided i'm a loser... and you've already decided my reasons for not telling you are different than what i've explained to you

at no point have you and i discussed anything i've actually said, so why am i gonna bring myself down by opening up about something with a stranger who's already displayed awful qualities and an immediate distaste for me...

i'm sorry you're curious about my personal life, but again... you're gonna make shit up regardless of what i say, so it's pointless...

i didn't go on about my health issues, i stated that they were physical when you called them "autism" and i mentioned them in passing when i explained that i have a lot of time to take care of my birds... there's no need to harp on any of it, and maybe i don't feel a need to open up about intimate details of my life with an instantly hostile stranger on the internet

invent my problem yourself, you seem to be good at doing that
>>
>>2080961
I can vouch for knowing he has some pretty shitty health, but yeah it's not something all of /an/ needs to know about.

Ok back in topic you fags. I hear that green cheeks are cuddly but you can only pet them on head. Because to let under their wings or their back causes them to get horny and frustrated. That doesn't sound like a good "cuddle" pet, is it true?
>>
>>2080970

Whatever anon for all your talk you're just a lying piece of shit faker, you're afraid to say what it is because you know it's a bullshit excuse.

>>2080971

Sorry Russian Faggot Guy, but unless you know him outside of the Internet you don't know shit and you're just falling for his lies.
>>
>>2080971

they are cuddly, but you do gotta keep it to like preening their neck and touching their head... but they cuddle with you, they'll sit on your shoulder and nuzzle your neck or like crawl inside your sleeve and shit... it doesn't really change how cuddly they are, it just keeps them from seeing you as a mate

>>2080979

do you really need to keep telling me you think i'm full of shit is necessary? i got it the first time, i acknowledged it several times, you don't need to continue saying it... i get it, and i'm sure everyone else gets it too...

christ i feel sorry for whoever you fucking nag in your actual life... not even kidding, you're fucking relentless with made up accusations... and already sure you're right

it's kinda funny at this point, but fuck i'm about to feel bad and embarrassed for you that you're still going with this... i know i'm responding, but it's mostly just cuz i find you sort of amazing

at first i didn't like you, but i'll admit you're growing on me... tone the hateful bitch shit down, and if you're cute i might even like you... not that you care, but i'm trying to imagine you being cute cuz if you're not holy fuck i feel bad for you

just thought i'd share that with you while we were talking about our imaginations
>>
>>2080992

You're damn right I'm cute af but I'm already taken.

And I don't nag anyone really I just have no problem calling people out when they can't back up their claims.
>>
>>2080992

fucked that first sentence up my bad... i meant to make "is it necessary?" a separate question... got shit going on, sorry about that... i'm sure i fucked up other shit too, but i've already given up... with any luck your editing will be as good as your imagination... and you'll fix it all for me
>>
>>2080995

you're the one claiming i don't have health issues, back it up... what the fuck do you want me to do for you? spend the day with you so you can physically see what a normal day is like for me? like i said, you've already decided

and yeah i'm sure you don't nag that unlucky fuck... lol i mean like i said, pretending you're cute makes this all better for me, but i never believe anyone who calls themselves cute as fuck...

but yeah, this is really none of your business, and you should really chill with prying... i don't care if you believe me or not, is the thing... you care what it is, but i don't care what you think, and i don't need to tell my life story here or some shit to you... or anyone here, and you demanding it doesn't mean i owe it to you... now i don't feel like telling you cuz you seem to think you deserve it, and really... unless you were standing right here and actually attractive this isn't really worth it, so chill already
>>
>>2081003

+ for someone who gives a shit about backing up claims, i don't see any pics so...
>>
>>2081006

+ i mean... unless you wanna openly be a hypocrite on top of the other shit you've displayed... up to you, i've got my imagination whether or not you're actually a tolerable person... and right now i think you're fucked if that's not actually something you've got going for you... so in a way imagining you is probably better than the real thing... i really don't want to feel bad or embarrassed for you, it's a nice day otherwise...
>>
File: magpie21.jpg (3MB, 3000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
magpie21.jpg
3MB, 3000x1500px
>>2080979
>faggot
Damn bro, I've never been talked to like that before. I like it.
>>
Cockatoo
>>
>>2080289
>>2080321

If you don't want a bird that will be your best friend for 15-20+ years, or even live longer than you, go and adopt an older bird. They're just as great, and they need the loving too.
>>
>>2080349
What did you just say?
>>
>>2080995

confirmed ugly
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.