[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any animals more boring than bivalves? >no discernible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (68KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68KB, 500x338px
Are there any animals more boring than bivalves?
>no discernible features besides a primitive "foot"
>basically just a blob of innards and muscle
>fairly immobile

At least stuff like sea sponges have crazy regeneration abilities. Convince me that bivalves are cool, /an/.
>>
>>2079651
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/10/071029-oldest-clam.html

they can get super old
>>
boil em, mash em, stick em in a stew
>>
File: swimming clam.gif (240KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
swimming clam.gif
240KB, 250x188px
>>
>>2079654

Where he going
>>
>>2079654
How is it doing that?
>>
>>2079663
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQHg6M7-Du0

they just flop their shells around
>>
Well he fact that such a simple organism has been so successful over millions of years is pretty impressive in itself.
>>
If they weren't so tasty, there'd be no point to them.
>>
>>2079654
Ah nuts, I totally forgot they could do that. Pretty cool
>>
>>2079653
What's... "bivalves"?... precious...
>>
>>2079687
Not very impressive. I can do that and more in a swimming pool.
>>
File: pearls.jpg (23KB, 500x284px) Image search: [Google]
pearls.jpg
23KB, 500x284px
Bivalves are delicious and they can make jewelry.
>>
>>2079757
Can you survive for years feeding only on tiny amounts of ocean detritus? No?

Scallops 1, Anon 0
>>
What about those scallops that look like blue sparks are moving over its clam body
>>
>>2079984
first time I saw my flame scallop do that I thought I was going crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dnddcLqo7E
>>
>>2079919
>feeding on ocean shit
>an achievement

Brachiopods do that as well and look cooler than bivalves.
>>
>>2079663
Big adductor muscle.
>>
Yes, placozoa!
>>
oysters are delicious and one of the few farmed animals that actually help the environment they're produced in
>>
File: zb0uv264ueu4clz7qkhj.gif (1MB, 636x288px) Image search: [Google]
zb0uv264ueu4clz7qkhj.gif
1MB, 636x288px
>>2080999
some neat-ass shit
>>
>>2080981
placozoa are amazing to me just because they're so boring. they're like living scabs.

they're also weird because it's uncertain how basal they are, even though they're so simple. they're probably the closest relatives of animals with true tissues, but no one is really sure.

they could very well be larvae that randomly became their own free-living species.
>>
>>2081002
Woah
>>
>>2081002
I was expecting them to jump to the other tank somehow, but this is cool too.
>>
They are so boring that they don't even have a nervous system. Some vegans can even eat them, because they might as well be vegetables.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=312Hu3AvaH4
>>
File: 1451615992637.jpg (114KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1451615992637.jpg
114KB, 720x960px
>>2081002
they clean up all the shit from the water then people want to eat them with all the dirt inside
>>
>>2079655
Home.
>>
>>2079663
Read up about scallops.
I'm pretty sure, but could be wrong, that scallop meat is just the adductor muscles that they use to do this.
>>
>>2083993
Thats literally what Catfish do too. And people love them
>>
>>2079651
I dunno, this anon is asking about fucking slime molds, which i feel are slightly more boring than clams and stuff.

>>2084770
>>
>>2083993
Things that eat filth tend to have really soft bodies, and everybody knows the softer something was in life the tastier it is in your mouth.
>>
So one time I was in the marine organism lab, trying to see if I could get a predator/prey response from one of the big old clams. Like this really huge fucker, who was chilling in a tank with some anemones and a couple of rogue Oscars and whatnot. I had some slime from an anthopleura? I think. And I was really trying to get in there because as soon as I started getting near the mantle it started retracting, and that was more reaction than I had gotten from anything all day.

...Well after a few seconds of this I clearly pissed it off because it shot a jet of water at me so hard that I thought it was going to clamp down on me and it startled one of the Oscars into actually attacking my hand.

tl;dr bivalves have cooler behaviours than you think
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.