[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: doggo.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
doggo.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
my dog of 18 years died recently, and I really want a new one. I have no idea what breed I should get. I want low maintenance on grooming, but I'm fine with having to walk the dog often. Medium sized is best and no breed that looks disabled. What do you recommend?

Pic kinda related, I like the idea of a shiba inu
>>
go to the shelter and see what they have there
>>
OP here, I don't really want a shelter/rescue dog because I want a puppy without any issues
>>
>>2076734

Then go to a shelter or rescue. They get puppies all the time.
>>
>>2076731

you should wait some time before you get a new doge
>>
>>2076731
>I like the idea of a shiba inu
no, you like the meme idea of a shiba inu, they're nutoriously hard dogs to train and socialize. plus they shed like a motherfucker

like other anon said, see what puppies your local shelter/rescues have. petfinder is a good tool
>>
>>2076731
Shiba-anon here, I own and 6 and a 1/2 month of shiba and I'm telling you right at this moment in her age, she needs an hour long walk/jog mix a day (I split it into 2 walks) at least. Then another hour throughout the day of attention/playing and cuddling to keep her happy, and a half hour of training throughout the day to keep her smarts and polite.
She actually sheds more frequently than you'd think, I'm constantly covered in dog hair. This is probably because spring is coming and then twice a year they have a very heavy shed all at once to get a different coat.

How about a dog that grows hair? Like a miniature or standard poodle? Maltese? Grandma dog?

Though I do not regret getting this meme dog, the exercise is nice, and I have time for the training. And she's hilarious and makes funny expressions and loves to play tag. Plus her neck fur.... OOOH SO GOOD.
>>
>>2076824
didn't you come home to find your dog covered in blood because your memedog attacked them
>>
>>2076847
That's some tripfag.

This is anon.
>>
Get an Italian Greyhound dude. Its fine to get a pure bred puppy. Just make sure you get it from a reputable breeder.
>>
>>2076857
>That's some tripfag
>Calling themselves the exact same thing you do
o-kay
>>
Doge looks like a seal :D
>>
>>2076847
>>2076857
No your right, I was that tripfag.
Not going to trip anymore, I'm pretty much the only person here with those two dogs anyway. Plus there's a reason it's called trip"fagging".
But yeah, those aggression issues were sorted out with correction training and now they love each other a lot.
>>
>>2076743
By recently I mean around 4 months ago
>>
Most shelter dogs are not abused or neglected. Most shelter animals are there because their owners ran out of money, had to move to no pet living situation, or landlord told them to get rid of them. 1-2% of animals that enter shelters are actually abused/neglected. So there's a 98% chance you won't get an abused dog.

That being said, you can spend a few grand on a breeder but I always hesitate to mention breeder because, just like shelters, 98% of people do not go to a reputable breeder when buying from a breeder. They are harder to find than you think. I need to a minimum of 4 hours to get to a reputable ckc spaniel breeder and they aren't even breeding dogs right now
>>
>>2076908
A lot of shelter/rescue dogs do have separation anxiety though. But there are also tons of breeds that just have that issue ingrained in them too (think weimaraners).
>>
Get an english staffy, they're cuties.
>>
Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

Awesome dog, doesn't shed.
>>
>>2076909
>A lot of shelter/rescue dogs do have separation anxiety though
that's why you ask the staff about their behavior?

and OP said he wanted a puppy, he's going to have to train them to be okay alone regardless
>>
>>2076731
Whippet/ex racing greyhound to be honest
>>
>>2076909
Puppies can grow to have separation anxiety too, and non-shelter dogs can also develop it. Anxiety is a bitch, but one a dog owner has to realize they may have to deal with
>>
>>2076734
Their are tons of puppy litters at shelters with nothing wrong and you are saving a life. Adopt don't shop
>>
>>2076731
shibas are not low maintenance in grooming. they blow their coat like 4 times a year and your need to vacuum your house daily for weeks. even with a furminator you brush out hair endlessly.
>>
>>2077351
Hey brian
>>
Australian cattle dog! High energy, but fall right to sleep when its time to sleep and play when its time to play
>>
>>2076731

Get a labrador.

They are as easy as dogs ever come. Just don't feed it too much.
>>
File: images.jpg (11KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
11KB, 183x275px
Get a german shepherd

He'll help you with invading Russia
>>
>>2079632
ugly
>>
>>2076732
>>2076738
>>2076758
>>2076908

dont listen to these guys

if you want a puppy with a guarenteed adulthood temperament and reliable health you want to go the purebred route.

puppies' temperaments, whether sheltered or non sheltered are always just that: puppy temperaments. any dog will be significantly more keen and exuberant as a puppy bottom line; meaning that their puppyhood temperament usually wont reflect on their eventual adulthood temperament.

that being said, i will concede that it is relatively easy to select ADULT dogs as viable pets in shelters because their behavior/temperament has plateaued/matured.

with a sheltered puppy it is definitely hit or miss due to its questionable genetics and undeveloped temperament.

no matter the breed, if you want a puppy that will train easily, possess reliable health throughout its life and be more likely to become an overall "good dog", i strongly suggest you make the investment and find a registered akc/ckc breeder within a 1-2 hour drive.

while adopting rescues is an objectively good deed, you are one person. plenty of other people will come in and adopt recues in lieu of yourself. stay especially away from shelter pups.
>>
>>2081703
>if you want a puppy with a guaranteed adulthood temperament
bullshit. the temperament guarantee from breeders lasts for a very very short period of time because it is mostly how you raise them. you can get a lab from the best breeder in the world, and they will still turn into an aggressive shit if you fuck up raising them

>you are one person. plenty of other people will come in and adopt recues in lieu of yourself
you really don't understand the concept of a big picture, do you? mentalities like yours are how we get widespread issues in the first place, not just shit with dogs
>>
>>2081703
You will have to travel much farther than that for a decent breeder. Had to travel 4 hours for a reputable beagle breeder, and I live in a very populated state.

Temperament is NOT guaranteed in a puppy past 2 weeks. It is only to cover that the dog won't come home and be a terrified mess or incredibly aggressive. It does not cover throughout the animal's life, because people are more than capable of fucking a puppy up
>>
>>2081764
>it is mostly how you raise them.
>>2081843
>people are more than capable of fucking a puppy up
It's almost like the breeders understand that temperament is a matter of training, not breeding....
>>
>>2081843
>>2081764

yeah of course the deciding factor is training. solid raising should be implied as common sense. the temperament guarentee means that they wont be fucking unpredictable and nonreceptive once you start raising/training them and with proper training have a higher chance to thrive after rambunctious puppyhood.

while training heavily influences temperament, its not a coincidence that purebred dogs of the same breed share similar behavior in adulthood. if you raise a purebred dog correctly, they will grow into the adulthood behavior that was literally selectively fucking bred into their genes. there is a reason why the majority of purebred adult standard poodles act like POODLES and not labradors. the same goes for any breed.
>>
>>2082316
>implying the breed standards for behaviors aren't a whole lot of interpretation and shit shilling by KCs
same reason so many people swear by the "intelligence" of some breeds when it's just their assumptions and not based on anything scientific

beyond that, most purebred dogs from prestigious lines don't even get a chance in the show ring, because their behavior doesn't fit the "breed standard"
>>
File: 1457875339368.jpg (188KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1457875339368.jpg
188KB, 720x1280px
Um... Guys do you think it's bad if my dog never bark even if there's a cat or some random people or anything. But he will bark at carrots(I have no idea why)
>>
File: golden-retriever-5141c47638eb7.jpg (86KB, 1280x852px) Image search: [Google]
golden-retriever-5141c47638eb7.jpg
86KB, 1280x852px
Golden Retrievers are absolute bros. You like playing? This motherfucker here loves playing.
>>
>>2082711
clearly carrots pose a bigger threat than other animals

post more photos of your corgi please of the love of will arnett
>>
>>2077407
all dogs have separation anxiety. They're dogs.
>>
File: 021.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
021.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
shetland sheepdogs are great, super smart and loving. good if you have a family with kids.

shelties rule! R.I.P Dewey
>>
Beagle or coonhound. Generally friendly, healthy and basically no grooming requirements. The only thing is they follow their nose and tend to not give a shit what you're saying if they smell something good, so they generally have to stay on leash.

My two were very easy to train. Learned to be quiet in their crates within a month, learned to shit and piss outside before they could physically manage that. They're very food motivated, which made training pretty uncomplicated.

You'll probably like whatever breed you get.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.