[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/snake/ General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 71

File: blackrat.jpg (187KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
blackrat.jpg
187KB, 1024x768px
>snakes you have
>snakes you had
>snakes you want
>snakes you like
>questions about snakes
>commentaries about snakes
>pictures of snakes

legless lizards also welcome
>>
File: 6036578_orig.jpg (346KB, 1100x728px) Image search: [Google]
6036578_orig.jpg
346KB, 1100x728px
An interesting snake: the Opheodrys aestivus, also know as rough green snake, only kills its prey by strike and has one of the longest tails among snakes. About the third of its body length. They mostly eat insects and you can find them as far as upper Canada. I hear some people also keep them as pets
>>
File: greentp.jpg (127KB, 800x622px) Image search: [Google]
greentp.jpg
127KB, 800x622px
>>
File: trs.jpg (138KB, 800x564px) Image search: [Google]
trs.jpg
138KB, 800x564px
>>
>>2070781
it kills it's prey by just swallowing it alive, not striking. Also doesn't have nearly the longest tail.
>>
>>2070791
A third of the body length is still fairly uncommon among snakes. By strike, I just meant that it didn't constrict or use venom. It incapacitates its prey with a strike.
>>
Hey I'm planning on a getting a reticulated/burmese/tiger python. I could have the space to give him his whole room, but I've heard they would feel more secure in a smaller enclosure. What do you guys think?
>>
>>2070923
It is more about having a hide that they can feel safe in. You are aware that it will take multiple people to safely handle a large constrictor?
>>
Snakes are my passion. I hope to have a pretty nice collection some day, I've only got three of the buggers while I'm still trapped in my parent's house. I wish it wasn't viewed as unsavory as it is, but whatever. Won't stop me from getting a serpent tattoo in a few months.

>>2070781
Another interesting thing about Opheodrys is that they will turn bright blue upon death. Those are always interesting ID requests.

Pic related is one of my next hopeful acquisitions. I'm a big boa & python fan and have an obsession with some of the less common species in the trade. Also looking at more Morelia, Liasis, Aspidites, Corallus, and Candoia.

What about you guys?
>>
File: image.jpg (90KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
90KB, 600x900px
I'm getting one of these adorable fuckers as soon as I get my own place
>>
>>2070934
Yes my gf would be up to it. What you're basically saying is that a room is ok as long as there also is a hide in it? Aren't there chances that it tries to strike me when I enter the room?
>>
>>2070948
So the Opheodrys is even more interesting than I thought. What a cute fella.

Also, I feel you anon. The first thing I did when I moved out of my parents house was to buy a snake. Snakes are such low maintenance yet fascinating animals. I really like lizards but they poo everywhere and most be fed everyday for most of them.
>>
>>2070972
Must be*
>>
>>2070951
Hognoses are cute, but I find them too small. Of course, they're the best snakes if you want something that stays small and they're also supposes to be the tamest snake out there. I heard they have extremely mild venom too. Do they kill prey with it?
>>
>>2070969
yes, there is a chance you will get struck whenever you enter the room. Two people are not enough for a large retic either. Depending on who you ask, its 1 person for a six foot snake and then another person for every 3 feet after that. Big snakes also strike pretty hard, the physical force of them launching their mouth at you is pretty impressive. What experience with snakes do you have up to this point?
>>
>>2070986
Well my uncle used to have this huge ret when I was a kid, and I've had some snakes over the years, but I think you're right and I should settle with a smaller python since my gf is not very tall or strong.
>>
File: IMG_20150125_120008_277.jpg (1022KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150125_120008_277.jpg
1022KB, 3264x1836px
>>2070988
I have carpet pythons, honestly they're a pretty nice combination of ease of care and not large enough to really hurt you.
>>
File: 1433519372.jpg (586KB, 1024x643px) Image search: [Google]
1433519372.jpg
586KB, 1024x643px
>>2070988
Look into superdwarf retics, anon. All the neat morphs and intelligence of mainland retics, but in a much more manageable size. I'm a pretty small grill myself and I would adore a mochino or goldenchild so dwarfs are pretty much my only option since none of my friends or family will touch these guys, let alone help me handle one.
>>
File: cpctj-female.jpg (150KB, 877x494px) Image search: [Google]
cpctj-female.jpg
150KB, 877x494px
>>2070989
I'm not really that inclined to take many pictures. Here is a caramel tiger jaguar, in a five gallon bucket.
>>
>>2070989
>>2070990
I can't find superdwarfs in my area though. I was thinking about a macklot python actually
>>
>>2070976
I'm going for a corn snake too, but I've always loved hoggies. Their faces are hard to resist.

Heh yeah, but it's a mild venom; they use it to incapitate toads. They're rear-fanged anyway, so one would have to really chew on you for there to be much of an issue.
>>
>>2071035
Oh I see. They are also supposed to only headbump you instead of actually biting which is pretty cute honestly.
>>
What company would be the best for snake shippings? I only know of bhb and LLL
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>2070951
>>2070976
want
>>
>>2071285
>bhb and LLL
Both are terrible. Finding reputable breeders is going to depend a lot on the species you are looking for. Check their business or name on the Board of Inquiry on FaunaClassifieds before buying from anyone.
>>
File: snek.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
snek.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>
Do ball pythons have teeth? My little sister was "booping" her snake's about and it struck her, but there was no bleeding. I also don't see any teeth when it yawns.
>>
File: shoot self.gif (2MB, 390x285px) Image search: [Google]
shoot self.gif
2MB, 390x285px
>Had a cornsnake when I was a teen cause grandfather basically let me get whatever pets I wanted
>Only knew very basic care of food, heat, and water
>Never took care of it right, always used light/top heater and rarely could get the under the tank pad to work right
>Never did any research
>Was a fucking stupid teen so would forget to feed it for a month, or sometimes just completely forget to give it water until it's bowl was bone dry and the snake was active in the cage looking for water
>Felt hella bad the few times that happened and immediately filled it's water bowl and gave it food
>Mfw I still have nightmares about not feeding the snake and forgetting to give it water, but it's always alive when I panic and go to check on it

Luckily I had to give that snake to a friend when I moved out and they take much better care of it. I still want another corn, but my god I wish I had owned a fucking computer back then and been able to use google.
>>
>>2071468
It was probably just a warning bite, but I'm pretty sure all snakes have a row of tiny teeth or can at least cut with a good strike.
>>
File: python teeth.jpg (14KB, 236x360px) Image search: [Google]
python teeth.jpg
14KB, 236x360px
>>2071468
They do have a nice set of teeth on them, but they fold back if they aren't intent on using them.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2071480
>keep having reoccurring nightmares about my ball python
>it's usually either the snake getting mauled by rat, or getting bad sick from something (usually my fault)
>only nightmare ever to make me wake up from a dead sleep
She's my first snake and has been fine up till now. But every time I have a nightmare about it, I get a bit more paranoid that I'm gonna screw up bad down the road
>>
>>2071491
You aren't feeding snek live prey are you?
>>
File: tumblr_o38c1cSxq41thlncwo1_1280.jpg (327KB, 1080x1091px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o38c1cSxq41thlncwo1_1280.jpg
327KB, 1080x1091px
>First time owner of a BP that i got down at NARBC a year and a half ago
>Just got him a bigger tank and moved him up to small rats
>Look up signs of a stressed Ball Python
>Shows none
>Sheds perfectly almost every time
>Never refused food
Feels fucking good man, i was so fucking worried for a while there!
>>
File: 1428616057710.jpg (191KB, 1262x854px) Image search: [Google]
1428616057710.jpg
191KB, 1262x854px
>>2071546
She stopped going after frozen thawed once she'd gotten ahold of a live hopper. I plan to try again with the frozen, though I'm not sure if I can get her to grab them
[spoiler]apparently she's learned to associate food coming with the garage door opening and closing so that might be the trick[/spoiler]
>>
can snakes be friendly
>>
>>2071952
They can be docile and curious. In fact most captive bred snakes are. 'Friendly' is more of a social animal term.
>>
File: drink me.jpg (154KB, 880x667px) Image search: [Google]
drink me.jpg
154KB, 880x667px
I like the tiny snakes that live in my backyard. They're easy to pick up and hold. When I'm done, I can put them back down and they'll take care of themselves. It's a good arrangement.

This is a rough earth snake. I've also seen blind snakes, but they haven't seen me.
>>
File: Angery reactin.jpg (17KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
Angery reactin.jpg
17KB, 160x160px
>got first ball python when 15 from petco or some shit
>Mom wouldnt let me get a snake until she saw it in person for some reason.
>Loved her to death. Named her Martha
>she peed a lot and it was a really strange color
>I was a tard so didnt think much about it
>five days later she died
>mfw

fucking fuck petstores they are satans asshole
I have a new, much healthier snake but im still pissed the fuck off
>>
>>2071952
I would say it's all mostly interpretations but they truly can recognize you to some extent. My snake never wants to stay for long on my gf and always crawls back on me after some time. Maybe he's just more used to my smell but it's still pretty cute
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Look at this cute fucker
>>
>>2071778

You can use tongs to wiggle them around. My corn stopped taking f/t, but I was likewise worried about her getting hurt. Solution for me was to pre-kill her mice. Quick and easy, and they smell more mousey than f/t so she'll take them enthusiastically. Honestly it's more humane to the mice than feeding live as well, a quick snap is less distressing than being crushed.
>>
>>2071971
>tfw have slowly watched bearded dragons and corn snakes die over a week or two because only managers are allowed to give the sayso on putting animals into the hospital room in the back of store and they all refuse

Seen us lose about 60 fish over 2 weeks due to untreated ich aswell.
>>
I've seen hundreds of black ratsnakes and never seen one coil up like that.
>>
>>2071468
many snakes to faux strikes. It probably didn't even open up it's mouth, just bopped her with its nose.
>>
>>2072184
call someone...
>>
>>2072193
The photographer must have pissed it off prior to taking the picture.
>>
File: 3.jpg (2MB, 1536x2495px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2MB, 1536x2495px
>>2071546
My 19 year old Corn won't eat anything other than live. Am I a bad person?
>>
>>2072184
Put in an anonymous call to animal control. They can seize animals from store if conditions are bad.
>>
Any of you familiar with spining the rodent in a plastic bag prior to feeding? I will probably never live feed but won' the mouse be able to strike even if it's dissoriented?
>>
>>2072254
To strike? I meant to bite.
>>
I don't (yet) have a thermostat for my UTH but it's fairly far from the bottom which gets around 100 degrees. I know it's hot but the top of the substrate is a lot cooler.
I take it the snake is smart enough to go where it's appropriate for him? Is there a chance he stays on the glass and gets too hot?
>>
File: Fixxxxxed.jpg (2MB, 2322x4128px) Image search: [Google]
Fixxxxxed.jpg
2MB, 2322x4128px
My sneks a year ago, theyre both about 15x the size they were when i got them
>>
>>2072235
Try what >>2072254 said
>>
I used to love snakes when I was a kid, watched them on the tv constantly I was obsessed, but as I got older I got more and more scared to the point where I can't even sit next to somebody handling one.

I have other reptiles (couple of leos and a beardie) and I want to be able to appreciate snakes like I did when I was a kid. What's the best way to get over this fear and progress one day to hopefully owning one?
>>
So quick question, I have some extra peat moss from filling my new tarantula's enclosure. Would it be safe to use with my Ball pythons or BCI?
>>
File: sneks.jpg (222KB, 1000x603px) Image search: [Google]
sneks.jpg
222KB, 1000x603px
>>2070779
>>2070779

The snakes in the photo are the only current ones I have.

In the past I've had multiple colubridae. Including garters, kings, corns (other than the one I still have), hog noses, milk, and fox snakes. I actually worked a long side a conservation breeding Butlers garters and successfully bred 3 females for them. I got out of them within a few years though because it was just too much work. Colubrids are just shitting, musking machines. I'm just more fond of larger snakes.

I still would love to get my hands on another brazilian rainbow, a white lip, a retic, some bloods, and etb or an atb.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2072835
If anyone cares i solved the problem by buying one of those $7 dimmers at home depot. I just cut the wire and put it directly in the line.

I now have temp control by the degree so I would say zoomed's 35$ rheostats are complete rip offs.
>>
I keep finding speckled kingsnakes outside and they're so friendly. I pick them up and they have never shown any interest in biting me and haven't sprayed musk on me.
>>
>>2070948
doooont do it man! had a golden phase one that was cbb and only 3 months when i got him. had him for 2 years and he never calmed down at all even with constant handling, it was seriously a chore to keep him. wonderful to look at but even something as simple as cleaning his cage was a nightmare. black phase is supposed to be even more defensive.
>>
>>2074213
>catching the iridescence of its scales

hnnnnnng
>>
>>2074328
Oh, yeah they also sell corded dimmers that you don't have to manually wire. Lutron Credenza and similar. Those are about $10.
>>
>>2070951
I want one too, but not the nominate form, and they're still too expensive.
>>
>>2071285
Anyone that uses shipyourreptiles.com as the shipper desu. Do not buy from LLL, they are notorious for wild-caughts (unlabeled) and mites
>>
>>2072254
It's worked for me when I've had to live feed with snakes who won't accept FT prey. The rodent gets dizzy and disoriented
>>
I've always wanted a pet snake. Are they hard to care for? can they show affection? What's a good beginner snake?
>>
>>2075018
I have not seen those at my local hardware store unfortunately. But since I'm a total amateur with electrical stuff I did enjoy the wiring a bit.

Also, my first try was with a ceiling fan dimmer but it didn't really work so watch out with what you're using.
>>
>>2075217
Snakes are mostly easy. You set up the tank with the appropriate temperatures as listed in the care sheets for your desired species. Feeding consists of thawing out frozen rodents and offering them to snake about once a week (age and species determines frequency). Cleaning/changing out soiled substrate as needed etc.

Reptiles don't in to affection.

Beginner sneks; colubrids (corns, kings, milks), rosy boa, kenyan sand boa, western hognose. I don't think ball pythons are the best choice for first snake; because of their fussy feeding and humidity requirement.
>>
>>2075217
They can recognize you but they don't show affection and that's the point. It will never be bored, sad or dissappointed of you. Once you have the setup correctly arranged, snakes are really easy to care for. Food once a week, spot clean once a week, clean the enclosure once a month and change the water every few days. No UVB lights or vitamins like lizards.

If you want a beginner snake, look into garter snakes, cornsnakes, hognoses and ball pythons. They're all tame and stay under 6'.
>>
>>2075257
>>2075262
Thanks anons!
>>
>>2075249
Was meant for >>2075100
>>
>>2070790
The colour on this animal is incredible. Is that some kind of bullsnake? I've never seen red and white in such patterns.
>>
>>2075287
It's a texas rat snake.
>>
>>2075262
>it will never be bored, sad or dissappointed of you

This is one of the things i really enjoy about reptiles. They have their own thing and aren't (usually) dependent on you for stimulation beyond making sure they have plenty of hides and climbing apparatus in their tank to use as they wish. Sometimes reptile keeping feels like having very quiet little aliens as roommates. I love that.
>>
>>2070779
Je
>>
>>2075043

Yeah, she's a lot larger now so I will try to get a better photo. Getting her to hold still is my issue. I have a 31mp camera now too that was shot with a shitty iphone. BRBs are just gorgeous animals.
>>
>>2075400
Tu
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x2448px
>>2075399
Yeah I love my pet snake. I consider him my quiet little curious and shy friend. He really seems to enjoy being handled.

I mean look at this beautiful yellow coloration. What a nice pal.
>>
File: snek.jpg (592KB, 1512x2672px) Image search: [Google]
snek.jpg
592KB, 1512x2672px
Just finished his first shed (for me anyway) today and looking good.
>>
>>2070779
I once had a pet snake, it tried to eat my dog so we had to kill it wasnt too sad I find it to feel bad about reptiles there is just something nonhuman about the way they look that makes me feel indifferent to them.

So I ask you faggots why do you own snakes? Are you aware that reptiles cannot love anything as these vertebrates will eat their children randomly and have no concept of most mammalian emotions. Trying to bond with one is a waste of time as it cannot comprehend wtf you are trying to do to it beyond feeding it so this is ultimately a waste of time on your part as the creature doesnt give a flying fuck about you.
>>
>>2075717
It seems you only seek love from pets. It turns out this is not what I was looking for when I bought a snake. They can recognize you and are very interesting animals to watch and to have crawl on you. They are also extremely low maintenance and the fact that they don't require attention is a plus for everybody in here. Do you also assume all people that own fish are idiots?

Nobody expects love from a reptile.
You can now go be a faggot in an other thread.
>>
I dont have a snake, but my aunt had the same ball python for years. He was" free living and would just go around the house most of the time, he even slept with her. One full seek instead of curling up beside her in bed, he would stretch out beside her. She got concerned and took him to the vet...turns out he was sizing her up to eat her. So I love snakes...but I am good.
>>
would a 36 inch tall, 18 deep and 24 inch long exo terra be suitable for a green tree python? I know they say that horizontal space is more useful than vertical as they mostly stay on the top perch and climb along it, but a 36 inch tall one is literally 5 dollars more than the 24 inch tall one at my local pet store and I'd make it a nice display tank.

Alternately I could get the 36 x 18 x 36 exo for an extra 60... I do have the space.

Regardless of size I want to set it up naturalistic and bioactive. Lots of plants.

What would you fellas do?

Pic for your viewing pleasure. not my snake.
>>
>>2075729
Lies. You really think snake measure their victims before eating them? This is a well known urban legend.
>>
>>2075729
0/10
maybe 2/10 for it being funny to picture that with a ball python
>>
>>2075729
Topkek. 1/10 for making me giggle at the stupidity of your story.
>>
>>2075745
Obviously, more space is always better for snakes except when they're very small, so I guess your first choice would be OK but if you have the money and the space for the bigger one, go for it.
>>
>>2075745

The 36 x 18 x 24 should be good. The larger one would be fine too but it's not necessary.
>>
>>2076016
>>2076015
okay I guess I'll get the little one. In the mean time, this little guy is going to be just a baby. I know basic husbandry requirements, and everything I look up says a bin, 85-80 degrees, 80 humidity, but I'm not sure how to effectively heat a plastic bin. Could I just stick a heat mat on it if I used a thermostat? I know they all say not to do that on the package. Should I buy heat tape? Would a small aquarium work?

All the articles I've read are for breeders and they have rack set ups with heat tape on the back/sides but this is just for one snake.
>>
>>2076024
I would recommend an under tank heater (UTH), but since it can't really get further than 35 (too hot for the snake), it's almost impossible that it would be able to heat all of your enclosure. If it's the case, then there is no problem, but you probably will have to also buy a heat lamp (ceramic bulb, infrared or UVA is fine) to get to the right temperature.

Also, you can control your UTH with expensive rheostats, or you can use a normal dimmer which you can buy at any hardware store.
I did this >>2074328 but anon told me I could also do that >>2075100

It's up to you man. As long as you can reach the right temp at any time there isn't really a better way than another. Well, this is assuming your snake will get belly heat.
>>
>>2076039
well it's a green tree python so it'll be perched. I don't know how I'd go about setting up a heat lamp in a bin, really. The whole enclosure would need to be heated.

I'd rather have a thermostat (one of the hydrofarm ones) for 50 dollars to account for dropping night time temps, to be honest.

Also maintaining 80 percent humidity with a heat lamp and good ventilation sounds impossible. Kind of stuck on this one.
>>
>>2076043
You're right. I didn't think about the fact that it was made out of plastic. Just buy a whole lot of heat tapes in that case. And I hear there are some DIY misters that you can build, but they also sell some at online reptile stores. Don't worry anon there is a ton of ways to heat enclosures you just have to find the right one for your situation.

Apart of that, your plan sounds pretty good.
>>
>>2076050
Thanks anon. I'm still hoping someone who's had a baby without a rack system has some ideas.
>>
How long does a rat snake grow in average in its first year with a meal once a week? I know some get to 6-7' but is that more like 10 years or 3?
>>
I always wanted a big awesome snake, but I'm too squeamish about feeding them because I also love rats.

Why aren't there herbivore snakes?
>>
>>2070779
Girlfriend and I currently have 11 snakes, 8 ball pythons we breed, 2 corn snakes were hoping to breed, and my Asian vine, along with all the arachnids and chameleons.
>>
>>2070951
Dont, I have breed them in the past and there aggressive little shitbags who strike at anything

>Inb4 unexperianced breeder
>Gf and I have our DVMs with Hematology as our main focus
>>
>>2076803
>aggressive little shitbags who strike at anything

But that's the best part. They act tough as balls, hissing, convulsing and striking, when they're small, but they can't do much. Mine will calm down after a couple attempts at eating my finger.

Who wants a lump like a BP?
>>
>>2076674
This snake >>2070781 eats insects but stays quite small. Rodents aren't that bad. Just think of them as meat.
>>
>>2076674
I'd it's pretty easy to dehumanize frozen rodents (for lack of a better term).
I keep mice anf feed off a shitload of frozen ones.

You can always have a snake and just not feed rats though. Take your pick of mice/quails/chicken/guinea pigs/rabbits
>>
New snek.
And no, this obviously isn't his cage. I just stuck him in here to settle down so I could get a decent picture.
>>
File: Fucking dork.webm (256KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Fucking dork.webm
256KB, 320x480px
I love my bairds rat
>>
File: pepe.webm (2MB, 408x720px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.webm
2MB, 408x720px
>>2076998
cage looks fine to me, put a water bowl in there every now and then
>>
>>2076808
Exactly. Hoggies are all adorable drama as kids and develop in to silly goofballs as adults.
>>
>>2076998
Python? Which one?
>>
Currently got:
Yellow Anaconda
Reticualted Python
Boa Constrictor Imperator
>>
>>2076674

Well, the large ones eat rabbits or goats.
>>
Why so sneaky mr snake
>>
File: 20160308_211605.jpg (3MB, 4608x2592px) Image search: [Google]
20160308_211605.jpg
3MB, 4608x2592px
This is my snek

Anyone have shedding tips? Given her a nice high humidity hide, 70%, rest of her tank stays 50-60%. Tried soaking her just before/during sheds. Regardless of what I do for her, she never sheds in one piece, always comes out in patches. Do some snakes just have bad sheds, or am I doing something wrong?
>>
>>2075717
>>2075721
I dunno mang, maybe I'm just a lonely faggot and humanizing my snake, but she's super curious and looks around everywhere, nuzzles me when I scratch her neck, and she'll wrap around my neck and put her face to my lips like she's giving me a kiss :3
>>
>>2078091
Don't get me wrong, I give a lot of love too to my snake, speaking to him like he understands etc. Mammals might gice live back, but the importance about keeping pets is caring for them and givibg them love whatever they are.
>>
>>2078118
I fuckin hate to write with my phone.
>>
>>2078090
How long do you soak? You may not be soaking long enough, or you may be soaking too often. Can I get a pic of your setup?
>>
>>2075696
Damn, you must have really small hands!
>>
My snake just escaped for the first time. I have absolutely no fuckin idea on how he did it and now I'm scared to death. The poor little guy was really cold when I found him :(

I guess I'll be checking on him 5 times a day until I get a new enclosure.
>>
>>2078364
picture of the enclosure.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2078368
He must have gone through the floor because the lid is secture, the lamp is on it and he's only a tiny 1,6' rat snake. I admit the glass floor is actually a piece of cardboard, but it fits so tightly I could not get it out. I taped it everywhere outside and inside the aquarium but I feel it makes little difference.
>>
>>2078379
>I taped it everywhere outside
looks like there's a heat mat on it, that tape isn't going to hold it's grip for long with heat applied to it.

that's probably how it got out.
>>
>>2078379
>the lid is secture
I doubt it.
>the glass floor is actually a piece of cardboard
?
??
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2078381
That might be a clue. I'll just buy a piece of plexiglass as soon as I have some time. I do have another, bigger enclosure, but I'm worried it's too big for the snake to feel secure at his current size.

Here's the bugger
>>
>>2078390
just measure what you need and have some glass cut by a professional, plexiglass is a pain in the ass to cut and it's probably going to cost you more than the glass anyway because stores generally only have huge sheets of it.

if it's too big just put rocks or cork in it to waste space.
>>
>>2078393
I'll look into it. Thanks a lot anon.
>>
>>2076998
is that a fucking anaconda
>>
>>2078393
>plexiglass is a pain in the ass to cut

Yes i learned that the hard way once trying to diy it. Always get harware store to cut your stuff for you. Saves a lot of hassle and stores will do this free of charge usually.
>>
>>2071381
>bhb
>dont be dissin my nigga brian now
>>
>>2070779
>>snakes you have
trousah snake
>>snakes you had
one time picked up a lil stringy snake, kept him for like a day to show my girlfriend then i let him go.
>>snakes you want
bionic snake like arms, 2 on each side
>>snakes you like
i think snakes are super beautiful but i like caecilians more because i think they're more evolutionarily interesting. did you know they were recently discovered to pull off their own skin and feed it to their babies, a unique behavior in all the animal kingdom?
>>questions about snakes
how often do you have to clean up nasty snake dumps with a big snake? I've seen snakes take some DISGUSTING shits, UGH
>>commentaries about snakes
my dog walked over black snakes 2 times now and both times he didn't even see it
>>pictures of snakes
,.----.__.o
>>
>>2076803
>I have breed them
>there

DVM, right.
>>
>>2079116
It might be typos or the guy isn't an english speaker. You're not impressing anybody anon.

Also, doctors in general don't have the best grammar from what I've experienced.
>>
>>2071970
careful, friend
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My snake likes to stick his head out of the substrate like so. I mean, just look at this clown.

I guess he's trying to ambush its prey or something? He does that everyday at 7h30pm until the light goes off at 9.
>>
>>2079766

Muh Boa does the same shit. He likes to pretend to ambush shit even though he knows exactly what day he gets fed.
>>
File: Yellow-bellied racer periscope-.jpg (419KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Yellow-bellied racer periscope-.jpg
419KB, 480x640px
>>2079766

folks in reptile keeping usually call this "periscoping".
>>
>>2075287
>The colour on this animal is incredible. Is that some kind of bullsnake? I've never seen red and white in such patterns.

I've had a couple of Texas rat snakes, and they all have slight variations on this theme. Some are darker, and some have more orange/white/brown. One female I kept had quite a bit of yellow/orange along the edges of her scales. More than this one.

They're pretty temperamental compared to other species of rat snakes, though. Not as bad as water or ribbon snakes, but more so than kingsnakes.
>>
>>2070793
>A third of the body length is still fairly uncommon among snakes. By strike, I just meant that it didn't constrict or use venom. It incapacitates its prey with a strike.

"Incapacitate" is a strong word. A lot of the stuff is still wriggling when they swallow it it, heh.
>>
File: AmbushAdder.jpg (476KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
AmbushAdder.jpg
476KB, 750x500px
>>2079850

max stealth version
>>
>>2078379

Looks like a 10 gallon tank. You can get those for 10 bucks at walmart. People on Craigslist practically give them away.

If you don't have any money, then I'm sure whoever you live with that does would be willing to shell out 10 or 20 bucks to ensure a snake isn't roaming free in the house.

It's how I convinced my parents to buy me better tanks for my snakes.
>>
>>2079857
Wow the eyes look almost fake
>>
>>2079859
It's a 20 gallon tank actually and I do have another 60 gallon tank but I cannot take it quite right now.
>>
>>2079829
>>2079850
Yeah some days my snake will only move under the substrate going from hide to hide unnoticed. It's pretty funny to see his tail at on end while his head pops out somewhere else.
>>
Guys, my snake just swallowed little bit of aspen bedding. I usually feed him outside the terrarium, but he would come out so he snapped the mouse out of my stick.

He swallowed just a tiny piece and now I'm scared he's going to have an occlusion. If he doesn't poop in a few days, I guess I'll just put him in a warm bath to help him defecate?

I can't believe snakes die in nature for swallowing a tiny piece of wood.

Any of you guys familiar with occlusions or just snakes swallowing substrates?
>>
File: cozy.jpg (25KB, 447x529px) Image search: [Google]
cozy.jpg
25KB, 447x529px
Absolutely adore snakes, especially big boas and pythons and anacondas. Few things more comfortable than sitting on the couch draped and wrapped in the coils of a Burmese.
>>
>>2080228
>no chest
>lmao1snek max
>>
Hey guys. Just got a 4w ZooMed UTH for a 10 gallon tank. Temp right now on hot side is 80-83°. Cool side 75°. I'm using an alcohol based glass thermometer on each side. Have a 60 watt day bulb (blue) and 60 watt night bulb (red).

My question is, is a mere 4w UTH going to be enough? My goal is raise ambient temp about 5-10 degrees. This is for a 4 month old Ball Python. I also got her medium sized mice based on her overall thickness. Dumb shit ass previous owner who works at PetsMart fed her a pinky a week.

Also, will my tank crack if I sit it w/ 4w UTH on a dresser? Should I raise it up? Will it fuck with the temp of my tank? Covered 75% of the top with plastic bag. Substrate is hard wood mulch + Aspen shavings + shredded dry peat moss you use for potting plants. I rinsed and boiled everything completely.

I'll post a pic of snake when I get home.
>>
>>2080420
4w UTH says meant for 5 gal. I'm really really careful with this shit as I just got her and the UTH does not have anything to control its temp ATM.
>>
>>2080226
Is it aspen shavings? Shredded aspen? Or paper aspen? It depends on the size if it really is small it should be fine. I'm assuming you have a water dish. Drinking the water should help. Digesting with the mouse should help. Be more careful next time. Also, how would the snake had gotten the mouse in its enclosure? You should've kept the food out, wiped off substrate from the mouth and fed your snake when it was completely out. You should also use bark as substrate. Aspen doesn't hold in enough moisure and you need that humidity for your snake. I went to a store and bought hardwood mulch and mixed it with peat moss. Boiled it for 30 min to kill any parasites and rinsed out toxins. Don't used dyed mulch. Red mulch, black mulch, brown mulch. All dyed. Make sure it's natural.
>>
File: 158_6887832099_4556_n.jpg (46KB, 384x512px) Image search: [Google]
158_6887832099_4556_n.jpg
46KB, 384x512px
>>2080365
How many snakes can you handle at once?
>>
>>2080226
He'll be fine.
>>
>>2080426
Shredded aspen. The reason why he got to his mouse is pretty dumb. He was to jumpy to get him out of the eclosure without him muskin on me and be stress out.

The last time he refused to be handled on feeding day, I lured him up his branch with his food and picked him up while he was too concerned with the mouse. I was not fast enough this time, he managed to take the mouse from my chop sticks felling onto the substrate.
>>
Short tail pythons are best sneks, I want to get a T- brong and name him Sotek

I only have a hognose right now though. Hes a derpy little piggy and I love him<3
>>
File: IMG_1030.jpg (888KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1030.jpg
888KB, 3264x2448px
Every time she poops she gives me this fucking look.

Today she did it right before I had to be at work.
>>
anyone in the birmingham, UK area looking for a viv? 90x45x45
>>
File: MilkSnakeSinaloan.jpg.cf.jpg (82KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
MilkSnakeSinaloan.jpg.cf.jpg
82KB, 600x399px
Is it normal for a snake you just brought home to hide when you come into the room or go up to its cage.
I just brought home a little baby peublan yesterday and hes a skittish lil dude. I know youre supposed to leave them be for about a week. Should i put up a towel or somtjin around his viv. He hides every time he realises im in the room. Is this normal. Also can anybody give me some advice on helping him get comfortable
>>
File: ball_python_510.jpg (37KB, 510x383px) Image search: [Google]
ball_python_510.jpg
37KB, 510x383px
>>2071468
They have pretty large teeth, 4 rows on the upper jaw, 2 rows on the lower jaw.
Same as every Python species.
They are hidden in the gums, when they bite, the gum gets pulled (or shoved really) back and the teeth stick out.
So maybe the snake just didn't bite hard enough to use the teeth

I hope I explained it understandable..
same concept with pretty much every reptile (to a certain degree) and teeth-baring fish.

pic is a big ball python skull
>>
>>2081171
Bump for reply
>>
>>2081171
completely normal, don't worry
it will get better over time.
But he/she won't come up to you like fish waiting for food.

as you said, just leave the snake alone for about a week (but don't forget to always change the water)
>>
guys, could you please help me?

Which regius morph should I get next?
high white pied,
desert ghost,
enchi bumblebee,
banana spider
or a BEL?

I know, many morphs to choose from but
I just can't fucking decide..
>>
>>2081386
Thank you
>>
>>2081392
Desert ghost fo sho
>>
File: Pastel-Axanthic-HUH.jpg (65KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
Pastel-Axanthic-HUH.jpg
65KB, 720x720px
I never really was into morphs but did you know about the pastel axanthic ball python? This has to be one of the most beautiful reptiles I have ever seen.

And this is coming from a guy who doesn't appreciate ball pythons that much either.
>>
>>2081392
Make sure to google adult bp of the morphs. Many bp morphs fade considerably over time. My favorite ones for long term usually have a predominantly white base with darker patterning. The pattern will lose some of its darkness with age but the end result is very nice.
>>
>>2081461
yea, thank you.
That's why I chose these specific morphs (+lesser ghi) look fantastic as adults (for me?
Some fade out, some "brown out" that's the problem.

I like the morphs that have a high contrast (adult Desert Ghost, etc..) and the ones that do not look like classic bp (eg. BEL, Spider-morphs, everything with pinstripe etc..)

>>2081451
holy shit, is that really an axanthic pastel? This animal is beautiful
but usually the axanthic morphs brown out as adult, do you know if thats the case with axa pastels too?
>>
>>2081521
oh, I forgot something.
Is it possible that some Desert Ghosts get morr "grey" than others?
I've seen some that were extremely light yellow but some had a beatifol light grey, pretty much like juvenile axanthics.

Or do they grey out when they get older?
>>
Lets see if somebody can help me here:

I have a "baby" carpet python (spilota ssp) since October, it was eating perfectly since the first day I bought it until one month ago, when he decided to stop eating. He just gets agressive against food and would also accept, and only sometimes, live food.

No change on substrate or temperatures, everything has been the same since the first day, so nothing "stressed" him.

I know that for Regius owners this is quite common and wouldn't worry at all, but with the spilota genus is quite weird to see them refusing food and even more weird that they get defensive against it, specially being a year old.

Thank you in advance
>>
>>2070948
I don't know if you're from Europe or America, but good luck finding a CB meriodionalis. I'm from Europe and it's almost impossible, there are some breeder who can't even produce them regulary and prices go to more than 1000 euros per animal. I would pay the price but nobody breeds them.
>>
>>2081543
might be helpful if you would give us some parameters (Size of enclosure, temp., humidity etc)
Did you drop the humidity in winter?
Also, is it a male or a female?
How old/what size is it exactly?
>>
>>2081546
saw a male last year for sale for 700€, but I can´t remember if it was CB or not
>>
>>2081589
It's a year old female, since it's still small I have it on the standard Ikea ¿45L? tub, I don't exactly know the size but it's what I've used with all carpets with no problem.

>>2081599
Leiopython.com has one WC for 650 right now. The problem is finding them CB. A bit similar of what happens with Boelenis
>>
>>2081602
Sorry, I deleted part of my message.

Temps are 32-24 and humidy 45-60. The only problem that I saw with this particular one before is that is really really active all day and end ups being cold many times
>>
>>2081602
Strange.. usually carpet pythons only go off food during the mating season (at least sometimes), but a year old female?
I don´t think so

If it doesn´t eat for another month or so I would visit a Vet if I were you.

Exactly, that´s the problem, only WC animals.
Beautiful animals none the less.
Well, they are not really easy to breed apparently..

Really? Leiopython.com has one?
Oh boy, might have to check that out in person, because it´s pretty close to where I live

yea, boelenis are absolutely stunning too, I´ve never seen a CB one, they are more commonly available than meriodionalis though (still only Farm raised)
But these pretty expensive (the ones that I saw were >2000€)
>>
>>2081638
There's a guy, I don't know if german, that is currently breeding succesfully boelenis and selling them. So there's already a line of pure CB Boelen's python in Europe (most of the CB Boeleni have that consideration just to avoid exporting restrictions)

If you want I can find the name of the guy easily, I know a guy who recently bought him a 1.1. He didn't say the price but I guess it's about 3000 for the pair.
>>
>>2081451
>>2081521

that actually isn't just a pastel axanthic. It has a certain other gene that doesn't have a name yet.

Source: http://jdconstriction.com/stormtrooper-is-going-to-the-darkside/
>>
>>2081818
Thank you.
I cried a little upon viewing these beautiful snakes.
>>
>>2081706
Wow, yes please!
it really would be great if you could give me the name of the breeder
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2078393
>>2078379
I just bought a piece of plexiglass as I said and put it right under the tank. It's 100% escape proof now and only cost me 10$.
>>
>>2082199
Look for Fredrik Essinger Reptiles on Facebook, I said he was german but he's swedish, my mistake
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
I named her Molly.
>>
File: hJI1fsQ.jpg (415KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
hJI1fsQ.jpg
415KB, 720x960px
>>
>>2082407
awesome, thank you very much
>>
File: Snapchat-696077695096987685.jpg (890KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-696077695096987685.jpg
890KB, 1440x2560px
My new adult male rainbow boa in the picture shown has been having some issues that I hope I can get some help with.
Since I got him about two weeks ago, he has been spending most of his time in his water bowl. He also is generally very angry and unwilling to be handled. I'm mostly worried about his constant soaking, as his temperature and humidity are at the right levels, and his water bowl has nothing resembling mites in it. He also is showing no signs of shedding. He hasn't eaten in at least two weeks, as I was told to wait before feeding him for the first time.
Any ideas regarding the causes of his behaviour?
>>
>>2082591
Beautiful snake. Maybe he just feels more secure in his water because he's stressed out? It might not be it since you seem sure of yourself, but soaking is almost always because of bad temp, humidity or because of mites.

I would say to wait another week without disturbing him to see if he changes his behaviour.
>>
>>2071466
Did he died?
>>
>>2070779
Hey /an/, Ive got a 2 year old pet rock and, as Ive heard they are prone to doing, he has stopped eating for the winter (or rather, he stopped eating some time in November). When should I expect him to start eating again? Ive heard BPs pretty much wont eat between november and july. Is this true?
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
My baby Jungle Carpet Shag, she's the most docile baby carpet I've ever handled, and she's very inquisitive and has a stellar food response, love her
>>
File: IMG_5990.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5990.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
i got a corn snek https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DWRWhkdy4c
>>
>>2082874
Im jealous as fuck anon.
I tried to sweettalk my gf into letting me have one for fucking half a year but she was afraid It'd eat her untrained little shitter of a dachsund.
Ended up spending $215 on a firefly ball since they are relatively similiar looking.
>>
>>2082930
Carpets, imo, are much much better than BP. More active, more curious, react better with handling and almost never have problems with food. You should have bought one as a baby and she'd end up thinking that it's cute as fuck, even more with 200 dollars.
>>
>>2071466
Classic, Viperkeeper feeding Elvis
>>
>>2071466
Isn't it a tiny cage for a cobra?
>>
>>2082903
And you also have a massage chair?
>>
Anyone have experience with renting apartments with your snakes? I desperately need to get the hell out of this house and I've got my 3 buddies to take with me and plan to get a lot more.

Do you bring it up at any point during the application process? Do you keep them there even if pet policy mentions cats/dogs only? Do you hide your enclosures during inspections, etc.? Does the leasing office even give a shit if they find out?

My tactic so far has mostly been to ask whether "aquarium pets" are allowed and leave it at that. I feel like if bust right out with "I have a collection of large constricting snakes" they'll never say yes. But at the same time I don't want to be found breaking the lease.
>>
>>2084001
How large are they? Pets usually include cats and dogs since they can be loud and shit on the property. Check your local laws about pets but you should be ok.
>>
>>2084001
>Do you bring it up at any point during the application process? Do you keep them there even if pet policy mentions cats/dogs only? Do you hide your enclosures during inspections, etc.? Does the leasing office even give a shit if they find out?

holy moley. you don't have much life experience , do you?

here's what happens if you hide the fact that you have pets: maintenance comes in to fix something one day when you're gone, sees your snakes. you get charged the pet fee for each snake for each month you lived there, and given a short time to comply. if you do not comply you are evicted and sent to collections.

sounds fun, doesn't it?
>>
>>2084194
Oh fuck off you self important little faggot.

>>2084192
This, usually its only animals that can cause damage that landlords worry about. It varies though from person to person, and I'd guess that people could be iffy about snakes because "super scary ew". Be freindly, do your best to come across as respectable and trustworthy, and just politely ask if they would be bothered by animals such as snakes and reptiles since they're contained in a tank. You may also want to start looking in to rehoming them though, as harsh as it sounds, they can't be the only thing keeping you in a bad situation.
>>
Owned a snake for 7 years on various apartments here. My advice:

Dont tell them you have one. I havent seen a single fucking apartment in the USA that will allow them. Even if they are "pet friendly" they pretty much always have a big fucking list of not OK pets. Snake will always be on it.

Ive kept mine in a terrerium in the closet so no one can see it. If i know maintenance is coming i usually pile up laundry over it to hide it. Maintenance shouldnt have any business fucking around your closet.

Make sure your blinds are closed when you take it out so nosey neighbors wont see.

Seven years and about 9 different apartments ive lived in and no one has ever discovered. Just keep that shit a secret.
>>
>>2080567
We all know Sotek is a divine titanoboa
>>
>>2084001
Don't say anything. Disclose cats and dogs. If you must, say you'll keep aquarium animals. Stick the cages in a closet or put them in cardboard boxes when maintenance is over. Most apartment complexes can't give two shits about what you do in there as long as you pay rent and don't annoy neighbors. No apartment complex is going to be cool with exotic animals unless it's some normie thing like a parakeet regardless of their potential to damage the place or any sort of logic. You can't deal with people's deep seated fear and delusion of either the animals themselves or all the deaths they'll definitely cause under their management.

I've kept up to 8 snakes ranging in size from a foot to 12 feet and dozens of venomous arthropods in apartments. Also various small animals that weren't explicitly allowed past the cat limit. I see people here with giant dogs that aren't allowed, so fuck it.

Just don't be an idiot and start showing off your snake to neighbors, taking it on walks or letting it free roam without supervision.
>>
>>2084194
>>2084217
>>2085874
I'm glad to live in Canada.
>>
>>2085978
What do apartment policies have to do with countries? Why would it be any different in Canada?
>>
File: IMG_20160320_212853395.jpg (4MB, 5344x3006px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160320_212853395.jpg
4MB, 5344x3006px
Ball Python I brought home last night. Any ideas for a name for her?
>>
>>2086224
albert fish
>>
>>2072184
Unrelated to thread as a whole, but friends and I once got a few goldfish from walmart to stock a small pond.
Dumbass employee tried to net them and put the little guys in the bag BEFORE PUTTING WATER INTO IT.
When we casually suggested she might want to, you know, PUT FUCKING WATER IN THE BAG BEFORE THE FISH, she filled it up halfway with UNTREATED TAP WATER.

large chain stores fucking suck.
>>
File: not sure if groovy.jpg (21KB, 325x300px) Image search: [Google]
not sure if groovy.jpg
21KB, 325x300px
>>2086224
Ashy Williams
>>
>>2079724
Careful of what?
>>
>>2086208
Well I don't for sure for the rest of Canada but in Quebec the Régie du logement (housing regulation department) will only include pets that can cause prejudice to the property or people when landlords demand no animals. For that matter, any medium snake or small reptiles can be kept as pets no matter what, but he could go to the regie's tribunal in case of large pythons. He wouldn't even be certain to win. The whole process takes a few months before anything can happen and in no way extra money can be asked.

When I was younger some friends used to have pythons and I never heard of issues with the landlords. I think people are just more inclined into coming up with an amicable agreement from the start. This is partly due to the bureaucratic process of expelling tenants.
>>
Anyone here own venomous snakes? To you I ask: Why?

I'm genuinely curious; I love snakes, but with a few exceptions, it seems like most venomous snakes I've seen people keep are either really bad-tempered, or haven't had enough generations of captive breeding to be trustworthy.

Most of the "hot" owners I've met have all been either the obvious "I have a forehead tattoo and I feed my snakes live mice cuz it's sick dude" types, or have been in denial about the danger of such an animal (that viperkeeper guy on youtube is a good example.).
>>
>>2086309
Snakes are not toys, wheter venomous or not.
You keep venomous snakes for viewing only. Most of them have marvellous colors/shapes and remarkable behavior.

Also, I don't think that Viperkeeper denies that they are dangerous.
He just sometimes seems a bit careless, but I'm sure he is not.
>>
>>2070779
are there snakes that only eat small fish or insects that can be kept as pets?
>>
>>2086415
Gartersnakes can do well on fish
>>
>>2086415
rough green snakes eat insects, but they are very shy, so nothing you can handle for fun. they are also less tolerant against suboptimal parameters

garter snakes eat fish, worms, slugs, mice. that kinda stuff
>>
>>2086309
True fascination about the animal, just that.

I do not like to put myself at risk, I hate that idea of feeling alive, I do not free handle and I do not live feed if it's not absolutely necessary. I do not have any tatoo, neither a motorbike and if you see me you'd think that I'm a loser that works as an accountant (both things would be true). I do not even tell people and if I say it here is just because is anonymous.

But they're not bad tempered (they can be of course, also can be a ball python or a corn snake), you need proper training, read and read a lot, understand what they do and why they do it. For me, it's just about fascination about the animal.

And they're pretty dangerous, that's true, but if you know what you're doing the risk is really really low in 99% of the animals.
>>
>>2086432
BTW: Viperkeeper is a cunt. Never listen whatever he says and never think it's true.
>>
>>2070976
I've been chewed by Hognoses, never been inseminated with venom.
>>
Mai waifu is a snake
>>
>>2086436
I let my tiny male chew my finger for 5 minutes a few years ago and got an envenomation. It kinda sucked. Finger got swole, throbbing pain, lasted a couple hours. After that, I had joint pain in my hand for about 2 months. If I cracked my knuckles or fingers after a while of no pain, it came back for a day or two more.

A heavy evenomation is supposed to be even worse. Saw a guy's article about it and his whole fucking forearm got huge.
>>
Would it be a good idea to try to keep a wild brahminy blind snake as a pet? I keep finding them under shit and they seem like they'd be cool, easy pets. It sounds easy enough to capture ants, termites, and other small stuff to feed them regularly. If I tried to keep one captive, would it adjust well/eat and drink?
>>
>>2070779
my ball hasn't eaten in almost 6 months. temp and humidity seems legit. guy that i got her from fed her live, said she took f/t once. been strictly trying to give her f/t, have tried every trick ive found. struck twice but missed one time, then didnt want anything to do with it. should i just give in and drop a live in there? wat do?
>>
>>2086309
My friend who owns a few hot snakes equated them to fish.
Very pretty and pleasing to look at but don't touch them.
>>
>>2072128
how do you pre-kill your rodents, and what is the best way plox
>>
>>2086548
Most people gas them with co2 (even in the case of euthanizing pet rodents) but it's an awful death unless it's done with a lot of care in stages. If you try to suffocate them all at once, the co2 burns their lungs, nose, eyes and sends them into a state of panic/shock.
With "a quick snap" I believe that anon was probably referring to breaking their necks or dislocating their heads from the spine. It's pretty easy to just pull them apart, and it doesn't actually break the skin. I've heard some science shit about how the brain is still active for a bit after doing this, but like they said it's probably better than the stress of being locked in a tank with a predator and slowly crushed to death. I've only seen tutorials for rabbits, but I'm sure you could find one for rodents.
>>
>>2086545
some balls don't eat from about september to february, mostly males

is she/he loosing weight significantly?
>>
>>2086309
Nah, viperkeeper guy just wants to insure a bond with his animals, that work well with the less aggressive. He doesn't squish their head down and keeps a mutual respect thing going. He knows they're dangerous. He just doesn't want his snakes to fear him every time he has to deal with them to keep them stress free.

I'm a little curious as to what he does with them though. As in why he has them. I think it's more than just a hobby. He works in the science field, maybe he likes to document info in certain species we wouldn't normally have?
>>
File: IMG_20160322_033154.jpg (803KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160322_033154.jpg
803KB, 2592x1456px
Here's Cleo. Got her about 2 weeks ago. She is an average BP and a bit snappy. Currently 5 months old, what I'm told.
>>
File: IMG_20160322_033030.jpg (684KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160322_033030.jpg
684KB, 2592x1456px
>>2086744
I have a few questions about her.

-Are young Ball Pythons usually snappy? She strikes the glass whenever my hand moves to do something in the closet she's in.

-Is 15 min a day enough to tame her? Especially with the snappiness. Sometimes I spend about 30 min with her. Sometimes I leave her alone for a day, especially after she gets nervous and strikes at everything. I'm giving her time.

-Is the environment ok? You can barely see in the pic, but the digital thermometer + hydrometer says 72% humidity and 81°F/27°C. On the other side with the regular thermometer is about 88°F/31°C. There's a heat pad under her hide. I was wondering if the environment is making her stressed... Right now humidity dipped down to 69%, 72% was a bit high. Probably going to clean out the cage and mix in more aspen shavings.

-
>>
>>2086749
I have also been feeding her outside of her tank. Apparently it helps aggression. Even though she's more fearful than aggressive, I do this more to associate leaving the tank with good things.
>>
>>2086751
I would put some plant cover in the tank so she still feels somewhat secure if she decides to explore
>>
>>2086752
Ah! I was just thinking of that earlier today. Maybe also a log. Except my oven broke so I can't bake the parasites off. I'm assuming plastic plants are best.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-03-22-04-21-13.png (164KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-03-22-04-21-13.png
164KB, 1280x720px
HOLY SHIT
>>
>>2086765
yeah that sounds about right. Sunsets are pretty expensive at the moment. Lot of potential in that morph though IMO.
>>
>>2086224
Is it shedding?
>>
File: IMG_20160303_170420.jpg (4MB, 4128x3096px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160303_170420.jpg
4MB, 4128x3096px
Me and my snek
>>
So here's something weird:
I keep my rosy boa in a tank near my desk. A few weeks after I got her, I noticed that whenever I played chill, bassy trance music on my speakers she calmed down significantly and stopped most of her "first-acquisition aggression" and handling anxiety.

Since then, I've made some tracks consisting mostly of soft "wubs" at varying frequencies to signal feeding time, cleaning time, handling time, etc.
Is this because boas are viviparous and it reminds her of an in-vitro heartbeat? discuss.
>>
>>2086918
That's some trippy shit anon. Maybe he's just concentrated into listening to the vibrations of the music? Snakes are extremely sensitive to vibrations.
>>
>>2086765
Yeah that happens sometimes with difficult to produce morphs. The pricing is really about protecting the gene pool for a little while until several breeders are producing them and the morph drops in price. It was the same with Palmetto corn snakes.
>>
File: IMG_20140209_125752.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140209_125752.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
took this pic at the St. Augustine Alligator farm
>>
>>2086914
i don't know how to explain this, but you just LOOK like you'd be a snake fan
>>
that feeling when you want to find a green anaconda of any size for sale but everyone is hoarding them because of the ban.

Anyone know someone with a female for sale?
>>
>>2086722
my ball stopped eating in November. He has been eating about once a month since then, but Im still worried.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Not as cute as pythons but rat snakes still have awesome faces!

He looks like an alien from a movie or tv show but I can't say which one.
>>
>>2087258
Depending on where you live and the people you know along with how ok you are with breaking the law you could order a farm bred hatchling from backwater reptiles and just drive across state lines

The catch is you gotta order from backwater with that plan. I'm sure someone out there is still breeding them though.
>>
>>2086749
please don't handle her everyday
this can lead to her not eating.

Three times a week should be enough, if she is used to it, you can handle her more often.
>>
>>2086754
where do you live?
usually, baking the stuff you want to put in your tank is not needed.
I honestly don't know why almost all americans think that's necessary..

what are the chances you get snakemites with something you found in the woods?

These mites usually stay on/close to their host.
Also, some mite species die in too hot and dry conditions.
>>
>>2086823
looks like stuck shed
>>
>>2087311
as long as he is not loosing weight, it should be OK

Check your temp/humidity, just to be safe
>>
File: 1387132725752.jpg (50KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1387132725752.jpg
50KB, 500x375px
snek
>>
File: cyanea.jpg (92KB, 736x498px) Image search: [Google]
cyanea.jpg
92KB, 736x498px
>>2087390
There's nothing more cute than a Cyanea.
>>
>>2086725
He works for a company that produces scanning electron microscopes. He breeds some species and sells the occassional snake to hobbyists and zoos. He actually has a few rare animals as well.
>>
>>2086316
>>2086432
>>2086547
>>2086725

I get your points, they're pretty much the same things I tell people who ask why I own a reptile at all; interest in the animal, more hands-off, etc.

I suppose I just lose patience sometimes with it since reptile ownership gets kind of laden with dick-measuring contests; people scoff at more commonly owned snakes and start handling their hots, and when they get injured/injure others you get more pushes towards legislation like the one in South Carolina that tried to ban ownership of all venomous snakes and a bunch of other reptiles.

Do you guys know that your venomous snakes are captive-bred? Do any of you guys breed them?
>>
>>2087518
Yes, I know it's a bit hypocrite from my part, but for ethic reasons I just buy CB animals.

In my country it's not very legal keeping hots, so if you keep it you do it illegaly and if they bite you, you have to pay all costs plus courts and fines, that without considering any harm the animal can do. In case of any scape you face the same that you would trying to kill someone and dealing with 50kg of coke at the same time, so dick-measuring contest are basically unexistent, people who is in are just for pure passion. And it's really really really hard to find things, you don't find one and think it's cool so you just buy it.
>>
>>2087404
As much as I hate them, does backwater even have them?
Green condas can be shipped over state lines, at least assuming the shipper is a member of USARK
>>
While looking at these snake pictures i wanted to edit them with a little hat it would have been so cute, but i'm on my phone, also i'm lazy
>>
File: 1382584586415.jpg (39KB, 545x456px) Image search: [Google]
1382584586415.jpg
39KB, 545x456px
>>2087435
>those eyes
weebsnake
>>
>>2087581
Backwater did have them until rather recently and are sold out at the moment, same with yellow anacondas.

They only ship to califonia though.
They have a wide variety of shit, but if you notice some of them they specify are captive bred and other things like all their crocodilians dont specify, which I assume as wild caught

Still blows my mind you can order a crocodilian online
>>
>>2087113

The snake is a dead giveaway.
>>
>>2087411
Idk, because I don't want bugs in my house? I did shit like this when I was younger and turns out, the log I brought in had a whole any colony in it.

Not that stupid/naive anymore. But Idk I hate crawly bug things man.
>>
>>2087411
And I live in Kentucky, USA.
>>
>>2087918
Ant*
>>
>>2087411
Never undersestimate the chance of getting mites, it's easy to avoid them and a hell to eliminate them, specially if you have a big collection.
>>
>>2074213
is the top right a male or female? Also how old?
>>
>>2070779
I've a ball python fire morph who just ended his hunger strike!
Yay food!
>>
File: 2882WhiteSnake2cb2002.jpg (137KB, 885x590px) Image search: [Google]
2882WhiteSnake2cb2002.jpg
137KB, 885x590px
Leucistic hognose is a cute.
>>
I sometimes pretend I'm a snek
>>
>>2086542
I've heard stories of people keeping entire colonies of blind snakes on dwarf white isopods (Trichorhina tomentosa, common in the terrarium hobby), but I tried that with a trio I caught a few years back, but they died on me within the next 6 months or so. However, I think it's certainly worth trying.
>>
File: weejee2.png (2MB, 1594x896px) Image search: [Google]
weejee2.png
2MB, 1594x896px
This is my son, Ouija.
>>
>>2072254
>late to spot this one
I've been doing this ever since my BP got bit at 6 months. The method kinda works and kinda doesn't. On the one hand, the rodent will be in enough of a daze it won't know it's coming; on the other hand, the rodent's still gonna try to resist and bite once it works out it's being strangled to death.

To counter this, I keep one of those flat popsicle sticks ready and once the snake bites and coils, I go ahead and jam it in the rat's mouth, giving it something to gnaw on besides the snake.
>>
>>2088930
the popsicle stick seems like a really good idea

I feed f/t rats, so I don't need it
but for someone who feeds life, this idea has the potential to safe (snake-)lifes!
>>
File: IMG_20160326_135643390.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160326_135643390.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>2070779
Does this guy look malnourished to you guys? If so, how much?
>>
>>2089196
You're not a professional photojournalist aren't you?
A picture of the whole snake with some lighting would be nice for starters.
>>
>>2088914
>referring to yourself as an animal's mother/father

Absolutely pathetic
>>
>>2089210
Not the guy you replied to but I think you're pathetic for turning this uninspiring commentary into something bigger. I mean, you gotta have some issues for taking the time to insult somebody for loving his pet.
>>
>>2089221
>muh snakes
>muh lizards

Literally nothing more repulsive than a person who owns a reptilian
>>
My bp hasn't eaten in about 3 months, I'm aware this is common but when should I be worried
>>
File: IMG_20160311_201939264.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160311_201939264.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>2089209
This is as good as its gonna get, bub
>>
>>2089780
Is your flash broken or something? The only thing I can tell you from the picture is that sand isn't a great substrate.
>>
live feeding is a shitty meme perpetuated by rednecks and the ignorant

just keep the food at body temperature and make it moist. snakes only give a shit about the smell, the scent, and the temperature. most species are too blind to give a fuck about movement. wiggling is hardly ever necessary.

90% of the time even a wild snake will go for it and ive dealt with shitloads of wild snakes
>>
>>2089829
is it sand?
I think it looks like paper

But you are right, sand is shit/dangerous

>>2089780
how heavy/old is your ball python?
>>
>>2089837
100% true
>>
>>2089900
You're right, I was on my phone and it really looked like sand. Also, the water bowl is quite small.
>>
>>2089837
Maybe this varies, but both of my snakes DO give a fuck about movement and will absolutely ignore a dead mouse that's just sitting there. They won't give it any attention whatsoever until I move it around.
>>
>>2089837
i thaw the rats in a warm waterbath, but the rats themselves are in plastic bags, so they don't come into contact with the water.

This works great (for me)

Why let them get wet?
The substrate sticks much more to wet rats.
>>
>>2089829
It's felt on top of crumpled newspaper which I mist daily
>>
>>2089900
My BPer is about 18 months / 2 years old. For reference, that rank is 1m long. I normally cover the mesh top with towels to help with humidity retention.
>>
>>2089837
While I certainly agree frozen/thawed is the preferred method of feeding, some elements make it a bit problematic.

In my case (might have gotten mentioned earlier in the thread), my snake associates the garage door opening and closing with food coming. While that's not too big of a deal, it means if I don't immediately start thawing out the rodent once I get in the door, she wont go for it when I present it. I still need to test just opening and closing the garage to see if that alone will work, or if it requires more stimuli like the car actually driving up.
>>
>>2090220
I usually take the snake out or put a box in is enclosure to feed him to be sure he doesn't eat substrate. I heard freezing the rodents dries them out a bit so the wetness might help with that.
>>
>>2090337
I didn't know snakes could be thus much responsive to stimuli
>>
>>2091622
Not that anon but I've heard of one guy whose ball python suddenly became aggressive after he got a new washing machine. Wasn't even in the same room but after he moved it or it wasn't in use suddenly it was back to its normal calm self. They are really sensitive to vibrations and a lot of people's garage, when opened, can be felt throughout most of the house. If he normally feed him at that time, I'm not surprised if it associated the two.
>>
File: ballpython123.jpg (35KB, 400x208px) Image search: [Google]
ballpython123.jpg
35KB, 400x208px
I have a Ball Python who is about four months old. He eats like a champ,is healthy, but he's still fairly small. His girth is slightly bigger than a hopper mouse. How long will it take for him to really start sizing up, and get to a size close to pic related? He eats one mouse a week, he wont eat two a week, so it's not like i can size him up that way.
>>
>>2091959
>feeding your 4 month old BP mice

Well at that rate he'll be stunted and underfed until you switch him to appropriate food.
>>
>>2092015
Everyone just says that the food should be about the size of his widest girth area, which is what i've been doing. He's growing, just really slowly. What would you suggest?
>>
>>2092018
rats, mice are not a good food.

As >>2092015 said, they won't be nutritious enough for your snake to grow properly

Never even start a BP on mice, newly hatched (after the first molt) BPs can eat rats of appropriate size, so why start them on shitty mice?
>>
File: 1446108074790.jpg (780KB, 2028x1968px) Image search: [Google]
1446108074790.jpg
780KB, 2028x1968px
I used to breed Emerald Tree Boas (northern). Had 11 at one point. I got out of that trade, sold them all, paid off a medical bill. Right now I have a single Great Basin Gopher Snake. She's about 4 years old, 4'11" long. Big scaredy cat.

I have an emotional attachment to it, unlike all my ETBs. She was a bit of a rescue and I have lots of stories about her shenanigans. Starting with the day I brought her home - she escaped in the car and I had to chase her all around the caverns beneath the folding seats and stuff. The fun never stopped from there.

Pic is Koru. One of my young ETBs that was just finishing the transition from red to green.
>>
>>2075306
Do they get more snappy as they grow? I have a texas rat snake hybrid and I can handle him pretty much everyday. If he tries to bite I just leave him alone a few hours to calm down and then I can take him.
>>
>>2090226
>>2090225
nobody got any input...
>>
So what's wrong with /herp/
>>
Hi /snakes/

Which snakes are cheap and beginner-friendly?

On sunday is a terrarium convention in my city and I would like to know which snakes I should especially pay attention to.

Of course I won't buy one there, I just want a first impression.
>>
>>2093022
Corn snakes and rat snakes are the cheapest and are usually tame or they will be. Hognoses and ball pythons are also tame but a bit more expensive. Depending on where you live, you could also look at grass-snakes and such north american common snakes
>>
>>2072235
>,
yes
>>
I'm getting my nephew a snake for his birthday but I'm not sure what to go for. The only experience I have with reptiles is from a bearded dragon I had as a kid so I'm pretty clueless. It needs to be relatively small and preferably docile. Thanks for any advice.
>>
>>2086434
How so? the only time I ever saw him being questionable was when he was talking about how people should burn people rather than shoot them
>>
>>2086542
They dont seem to take well to captivity and seem to die awfully fast.
>>
>>2093192
animals are not gifts
please reconsider your choice

nephew's age?
>>
>>2093244
He is turning ten, and it wouldn't be a random gift. He has been hinting at it and I know he can take care of it, his birthday is just a good time to give it to him.
>>
>>2093251
I you really think he wants to care for an animal for the next 15 to 20 years, get him a cornsnake.
But always remember, snakes are not toys, if he handles it too much, it might refuse to eat or die of stress.
Corn snakes are relatively tolerant to stress, but they get angry sometimes and as I said, don't handle them too much.

Alsp, make sure he knows how to care for this species, he has to know everything about the care of corn snakes and has to set up an enclosure at least a week before he gets the snake, so he can monitor Temp. and humidity.
He might have to change a few things here and there to optimeze the parameters.

And again, Animals should not be a birthday/christmas present (there are exceptions)

If I were you, I would buy him corn snake books for his birthday, maybe even a terrarium and equipment/decorations, depending on how much you are willing to pay.

Or maybe you can convince his parents on buying him the before mentioned stuff.
Then you could tell him you will buy him the snake, but after he has learned everything he needs to take proper care of it.

That would also be a great example on how to properly teach kids to care for animals. (in my opinion)
So, get good infos first, make sure you are able to/willing to care for it the proper way throughout it's whole life.

Don't rush anything, making a kid happy for a short period of time is not worth the suffering of an animal.
>>
File: 05052906PD_gophersnake.jpg (72KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
05052906PD_gophersnake.jpg
72KB, 600x400px
Hey guys, I've only ever owner garter snakes and a Florida Kingsnake, and I'd like to perhaps get a gopher snake in a big naturalistic habitat. Is there any particular part of their care I should know more about?
>>
>>2093292
If it's captive bred, it won't be much different from ratsnakes or kings. Standard snake care.
>>
Okay guys so I'm 70% sure I have just acquired a juvenile green water snake
Guys at work were going to kill it, but I decided to take him since I've been wanting a snake for a while, and have most of the stuff needed already

So my question to you guys is what should I Make sure to have in my tank for him? How big a tank should I have? Can't post picture because I'm at work, but he or she is brown with a darker brown pattern, round head, and yellow underside. Tail had nothing on it, and looked like it's about to shed
>>
>>2093354
Ok about 80% sure it's a diamondback water snake
>>
>>2093354
The general rule for the enclosure is width+length=Snake's length. But this is the bare minimum. A snake, unless it's very small, will always prefer a bigger enclosure.
>>
>>2093354
Just put it back in the wild where the damn thing belongs. It's wild animal loaded with parasites with zero human contact. You don't even know what species it is. The poor thing will die of stress when you can't get it to eat the amphibians and fish it requires. And now the ecosystem you removed it from lost one more predator / prey. Is it so fucking hard to save up money and buy a captive bred snake?

Anon please put the damn thing back.
>>
Hi /snakes/, I have a few questions :

I'm interested in holding a Boa constrictor imperator (the smaller Boa variant)

And talked to a breeder today.
I don't know if he told me bullshit to make me buy things.

He said a 90 gallon tank would suffice.

You can use heat panels or hest mats under the substrate (wood granules), heat mats are fine and cheaper-per-watt

You can use normal or LED lights, since they're night active and don't need UV light.

Is this about right?
>>
>>2093846
an aquarium is a stupid container to buy for a snake.
you don't need a light at all.
>>
>>2093848

Sorry, English isn't my first language.

I meant a terrarium with 120cm x 60cm x 60cm (LWH)

So, the light is only there so that you can observe the snake?
>>
>>2093849
120x60x60 is too small for an adult B. c. imperator

the minimum of the cage is in my opinion:
1×0.5x0.5 times the length of the snake, hight depends on the species

also, I don't like heat mats, i use bulbs instead, just the normal spots from your standard hardware store, but it should have enough watt for heating the Tank as you want.

even if some say: snakes need belly heat!

where do you think the heat comes from in nature? right, the sun heats up the ground, as does your light bulb

But I don't say that heatmats are shit, I just don't use them
>>
>>2093882

Would 150cm length be enough?

Also, which bulbs do you use(wattage)?
>>
>>2093895
if you get a male, it might work, but you can use the 120x60x60 for the first few years.

for a 120x60x60 I use 60 to 65 watt bulbs, one per terrarium.

don´t forget the protective cage around the bulb, you can even build it yourself if you want
>>
>>2093933

Not OP, but I've also got a question

I've heard Boa constrictor imperators are the smallest of the boas, even so the males.

Do they really need a terrarium with 150+cm?
>>
File: 2292219117_5bbcda2787.jpg (167KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
2292219117_5bbcda2787.jpg
167KB, 500x375px
kingsnake best snake
>>
>>2093970
boas are a bit more active than Ball pythons for example, so yes.
It may be doable in smaller "containers" over in the US, but here in the EU, we have to have bigger enclosures by law.
For B. c. it's 1x0.5x0.75 times the lenght of the snake, that would be the absolute minimum, which is, in my opinion, really thr minimum size
>>
>>2094386
Do you have some kind of license to own a snake as for dogs in Germany if I'm not mistaking?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.