[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/, my pitbull killed one of my hens. How do I keep it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 4876.png (306KB, 852x435px) Image search: [Google]
4876.png
306KB, 852x435px
Hey /an/, my pitbull killed one of my hens. How do I keep it from doing it again?
>>
Kill it?
>>
Pitbulls are high prey-drive dogs. Keep it away from your chickens, and make sure your coop is secure.
>>
>>2011915

Nah, s'good dog. I stuck his nose in it and whacked him at the same time, though I'm not sure that'll be a permanent reminder.

>>2011918

Yeah I was out and I left the gate to the chicken's area unlocked. Fuck me. Was a good hen too, laid a lotta eggs.
>>
>>2011921
>I stuck his nose in it and whacked him at the same time
Just fuckin' give him up already.
>>
>>2011913
Get rid of your shit dog
>>
>>2011923

Damn relax man it's not my first rodeo. My primary concern is that he doesn't harm humans, and he's very good with humans. Take him out for walks every day. This is the first incident in the two years I've raised him.
>>
>>2011926
You're just like my dad. Why did you hit it?
>>
>>2011913
Tie the dead chicken around his neck till it rots off. He wont ever do it again.
>>
>>2011913
Replace your memedog with attack hens.
>>
>>2011921
> I stuck his nose in it and whacked him at the same time, though I'm not sure that'll be a permanent reminder.
yeah, give up your dog to a rescue, and never have one. any kind.
>>
>>2011921
>I stuck his nose in it and whacked him at the same time
You shouldn't get mad or punish your dog for acting on natural dog instincts. Pit bulls have a lot of prey drive.

That said, what you did (shoving his nose in it and hitting him) is not something he will understand. It might make sense to you but he's not going to make the connection there. He might even become MORE reactive to the chickens because of that bad experience, if he associates "chicken" with "pain." See where I'm going with this? It might seem obvious to you what you're trying to get across, but it's not obvious to a dog.

Doing that sort of thing displays a lack of comprehension of how to train dogs and understanding how they think, which is why other anons are saying give him up, don't have a dog, etc.

Anyways. How do you stop this from happening again? Keep him away from your chickens. Keep your chickens' enclosure secure. That's really the only sure way of preventing this sort of thing. As an additional measure though, train your dog to have excellent recall to increase the chances you'd be able to call him off if he ever ends up with the opportunity of chasing one of your hens again. Also, you can also work with him to get him to ignore the chickens at least to some extent (reward him for being calm and non-reactive when he sees them; reward him for focusing on you instead of the chickens, reward him for obeying commands when the chickens are a nearby distraction, etc. All of this is gradual work, mind you.)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.