[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dog/ - Dog General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 46

File: Mr._Pickles.png (102KB, 272x299px) Image search: [Google]
Mr._Pickles.png
102KB, 272x299px
Ask dog questions that don't deserve their own threads here.

Dog Kibble and Wet food ingredients/nutrition guide:
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

Dog breeds:
http://www.justdogbreeds.com/all-dog-breeds.html

Previous thread:
>>2003654
>>
>>2010218
First for it's perfectly fine to adopt a puppy at 8-12 weeks, don't listen to that faggot with his arbitrary rules who says 12 weeks is the minimum.
>>
>>2010222
Can we please not have this discussion anymore?
>>
>>2010226
This board is one of the slowest i've ever been to. Any discussion is welcome if it means bumping the thread.
>>
>>2010227
There's no need to rehash the same arguments for 300 posts like the previous thread. Allow it to be bumped by real questions
>>
Everyone IRL I have talked to has recommended Science Diet, and my dog has done well on it. TL;DR he's had a series of problems and Science Diet was the food he did best on. I can elaborate, but it's long. I'm not here for anyone to bitch at me about how shitty Science Diet is though.

I know Science Diet isn't nutritionally very good, though. I'm thinking of switching to Taste of the Wild. Does anyone have thoughts on that particular brand? I honestly don't trust dogfoodadvisor that much since they still think Blue Buffalo is good.
>>
>>2010222
>being this desperate for your opinion to be right

I'm not even saying if you're right or not, just that this is getting embarrassing
>>
>>2010257
>says the little faggot that gets upset if people don't heed his advice
>>
File: shut up.png (213KB, 1543x937px) Image search: [Google]
shut up.png
213KB, 1543x937px
>>2010222 You're right.

>>2009889
It says IDEALLY not A STANDARD.

>By seven to nine weeks, puppy is refining his physical skills and coordination, and can begin to be housetrained. Puppy has full use of senses.
>By eight to 10 weeks, puppy experiences real fear involving normal objects and experiences; puppy needs positive training during this time.
>By nine to 12 weeks, puppy is refining reactions, developing social skills with littermates (appropriate interactions), and exploring the environment and objects. Puppy begins to focus on people; this is a good time to begin training.

Notice how the start of this paragraph begins with training? 8 weeks is a standard as well because this is when training starts. You just need to socialize the pup more when it's younger than when it'd be older. That's why they say it's ideal.

>>2010238
Since anon or you couldn't read my google search, here's a highlighted one.
>>
>>2010255
What's wrong with blue buffalo?
>>
>>2010265
It's good on paper, but most dogs just don't agree with it in my experience. Even my vet friend has said almost all of the dogs that he's seen that have developed allergies did so after being put on blue buffalo
>>
>>2010261
I'm not even the person you obsessively argue with you moron

just saying you needing to immediately piss all over the thread with this and continue the argument makes you seem incredibly desperate
>>
>>2010268
There is a grain free one I found though, unless it's not grain allergies you're talking about?

Either way, my pups are on Acana. Their coats are amazing, teeth are amazing, and poops are solid.
>>
>>2010273
not sure what allergies, he didn't discuss it in depth, just came up in conversation.

>acana

I've never even heard of it so I doubt it's available where I live...
>>
>>2010275
What country are you in?
>>
>>2010277
america, but I'm in a shitty part of denver. never seen acana when I go shopping.
>>
>>2010281
http://acana.com/store-locator/?location=Denver%2C+CO%2C+United+States&longitude=-104.990251&latitude=39.7392358&country=United+States&radius=25
>>
>>2010281
You should be able to find it in Denver.
>>
>>2010284
>>2010273

>15 lb bags retail at >$40
hot damn anon, how much money do you make?
>>
>>2010297
m-minimum wage full time. But I live with another person who's dog it is also, they make more than me. I handle all food costs for pets and us, he handles rent and payments. Rent is really cheap for us right now though.
>>
>>2010269
>A discussion abruptly ends with each new thread
How new are you faggot?
>>
>>2010300
what's the point of having a sugar daddy if you have to buy the dog food

make him do it
>>
>>2010311
He's not a sugar daddy :o
he's b-bf.
>>
>>2010312
q-quit typing out stutters -_-
>>
10.5 week old Border Collie female pupper.
Got her at 8 weeks.

Cuddley as fuck in the morning but a real little bitey nippy hyper shit otherwise.

How do YOU guys personally deal with the puppy biting/pulling/herding/nipping shit?
Redirecting doesn't work half the time because she wants my fingerflesh instead of whatever of the various toys/chewables I give her.

Can't wait for the vaccine shit to end, I feel like she'll probably go stir crazy soon if she doesn't get to go on a real outside walk.
>>
>>2010321
Pups taken form mom too young often have biting issues. This is exactly why pups should stay with mom until 12 weeks old.
>>
>>2010321
I know this feel too well. From what i've researched, they eventually grow out of it if you're consistent with saying no every time they do it and turning away from them.

Also,
>8 weeks
Prepare to have the thread autist give you shit

Oh wait, here he is

>>2010323
Puppy biting is perfectly normal behaviour regardless of how long a puppy stayed with their mother you complete imbecile. You literally only have 1 source as opposed to the many others stating that 12 weeks should be the minimum.
>>
>>2010230
>Bumped by real questions
Real questions only to be answered by that one smug cunt that feels the need to tell everyone they're byb scum?
>>
>>2010327
I never said 12 weeks was the minimum. I have stated all along that it is ideal.
>>
>>2010330
>>2010326
>For at least 12 weeks
>At least
Nice backpeddling faggot
>>
>>2010327

Alright.
I've been saying "No" and "Leave It", it doesn't really work, but I also either push her back gently (I wonder if that might be encouraging the behavior) or put my hand around her harness (this actually works pretty well until I let go and move any limb).

In her defense, she's teething hardcore right now.

Combined with the weather making my skin dry as fuck, my hands look like they've been through some Vietnam shit.
>>
>>2010332
I still never said minimum 12 weeks.
That quote is from the Humane Society, not myself.
>>
>>2010334
You advocated 12-18 weeks for a puppy to be adopted and said anything less is byb tier despite it being perfectly healthy and normal. Don't go backpeddling even further now.
>>
>>2010335
Nice try putting words into my mouth.
I said 12 weeks was ideal.
I said I knew breeders that kept small breed pups up to 18 weeks.
No where did I say 12 weeks was the minimum.
No where did I say 12- 18 weeks was the minimum.

I stand by what I said. I have been saying the same thing this entire time.
>>
>>2010337
Too bad there is no evidence that 12 weeks is ideal except for your one shitty source that you keep parroting.

Too bad you are wrong that reputable breeders who rehome their pups younger than 12 weeks are shit

Too bad you were proven wrong about adopting at less than 12 weeks being problematic

Despite all this though, you're clearly still shitposting in the thread with your smug comments like "hurr see your puppy wouldn't have biting problems if he stayed with his litter until 12 weeks!!".
>>
>>2010340
>Too bad there is no evidence that 12 weeks is ideal except for your one shitty source that you keep parroting.
The Humane society is a shitty source? It's more than you have managed to come up with. Would you like to see more info from other credible sources? Or will you simply dismiss those out of hand as well?

>Too bad you are wrong that reputable breeders who rehome their pups younger than 12 weeks are shit
No I'm not. Reputable breeders want what us best for their pups, not the bare minimum.

>Too bad you were proven wrong about adopting at less than 12 weeks being problematic
No I wasn't. You have given up no evidence that supports your position

>Despite all this though, you're clearly still shitposting in the thread with your smug comments like "hurr see your puppy wouldn't have biting problems if he stayed with his litter until 12 weeks!!".
That actually wasn't me. However the comments were directed at me so I figured I would respond.
>>
File: IMG_20151203_003552.jpg (116KB, 806x1075px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151203_003552.jpg
116KB, 806x1075px
Ian Dunbar says 8 weeks is optimal.

Further stay with its mother will make bonding with its new family harder.
>>
>>2010344
A pic of a page in a book is not a credible source.
>>
>>2010341
>It's more than you have managed to come up with
So the human society speaks for all institutes world wide? The rspca is a shitty source? You talk of dismissal as if that's not what you have been doing this entire time, even with this anon blowing you the fuck out >>2010263

>Reputable breeders want what is best for their pups
Despite rehoming at 8-12 weeks having no evidence of producing problems? Despite rehoming at this time being proven to allow the pup easier assimilation into the new family home? Seems like you just have attachment issues.

>No I wasn't
No, you have the burden of proof and so far you have not come up with a single piece of evidence saying adopting at less than 12 weeks can cause problems. A breeder literally has no reason to keep a puppy past 12 weeks other than the reasons stated here http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/whelpingphotos8.htm

>>2010347
Dr. Ian Dunbar isn't a credible source? Keep sticking your head in the sand you deluded faggot, i think we're done here.
>>
>>2010347
Not sure if troll, but here's a link to the Google Books scan if you want to verify the source.

https://books.google.ca/books?id=qHTR6DwRPV4C&lpg=PR2&dq=Ian%20Dunbar&pg=PA29#v=onepage&q&f=false
>>
>>2010318
O-oh... soooorry
:3
>>
>>2010321
I watched a youtube video to stop my puppy from biting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9KQegi4r8k
This guy is pretty good. He uses plenty of positive reinforcement and the dogs he teaches catch on really quick with his methods.
>>
>>2010349
I'll indulge you and post some credible links tomorrow.
>>
Hi animals.

I am soon to adopt an 8 month border Collie x blue heeler. He has been trained well, reacts to commands and recalls almost immediately. My yard is pretty decent and has some stairs that go up to a lawn and fenced off pool area it's not a redundant square. I was wondering what I should leave him with during the day? I'll supply all the chew toy friends he needs but was thinking maybe get him a little shell bath to play in and a sand pit incase he wants to dog or roll about and play dog games. He will be sleeping outside (I live in Australia) but I'll leave the laundry open and if he wants his bed in there that's fine too :)

Is there anything I might be missing that he needs?
>>
>>2010361
Alright, have your full day of desperately trying to find limited sources that prove your point, despite you ignoring a large portion of my post and >>2010352.

Still, it's fucking hilarious how you attempted to dismiss Ian Dunbar as not being credible lmao. Guess you really can't take being wrong.
>>
>>2010371
food and water, friendo!
>>
>>2010371
Oh my god Anon, you can't just take an 8 months old dog, you have to wait until he's 12.
>>
>>2010310
kek, I've been posting on here long before you came along and started your overly aggressive puppy age debates

/DG/ is has been pretty nice until this this shit storm starts. new thread, could've been pretty great, but no, you had to jump on it and piss on it like a dog marking a trash can. you're looking for a fight, don't act like you're doing anything different. RIP thread

>>2010321
I have a 6 month old husky/staffie from a rescue, when I got him at a similar age he was the same way. if redirecting didn't work I started making a short, extremely high pitched squeal if he got me. it breaks their concentration on biting you and usually makes them pause and stop, it's like mimicking how they learn bite inhabition from littermates. additional I'd actually put apple cider vinegar on my arms and fingers, puppy bites hand and gets a nasty taste, learns that doing it isn't a fun time. you can use anything that tastes awful but is nontoxic, like bitter Apple spray from the pet store. and of course reward her for polite play with an occasional treat. if he was so worked up he didn't care about the taste I would give him a short time out if he started biting, then try again after a 10-15 second time out. puppy sees this eventually as nippy play = playtime stops. it may seem short, but for young puppies it is ideal. now he only gets bitey when he's extremely worked up, but if I give him his regular amount of exercise for the day he's fine. and many herding breeds in general tend to become bitey and shit if you don't nip this in the bud (but border collies tend to become extra neurotic in my experience)

there's a chance she'll just grow out of it, but a bigger chance that if you don't work towards it that she'll turn into one of those extremely mouthy asshole dogs, so start right away. good luck
>>
File: $_27.jpg (46KB, 640x375px) Image search: [Google]
$_27.jpg
46KB, 640x375px
>>2010371
>border Collie x blue heeler

Does your puppy look like this?
>>
>>2010389
/DG/ has always had it's fair share of debating you fucking newfag. If they're not arguing about age, they're arguing about BYBs, get the fuck out of here with your self righteousness.
>>
>>2010392
last one was pretty nice until you him started going at it, don't act like all debates are an equal level of shittiness

and why so many buzzwords anon? lie down and count to ten, you might feel better
>>
>>2010395
There's been multiple people involved. Besides, debates are debates and they happen regardless especially on 4chan, get the fuck over it, this isn't your hugbox.
>>
>>2010398
>ignoring that you're the instigator
>ignoring that youre shitting up the thread
>>
>>2010401
>Talking about dogs
>Shitting up a thread about dogs
Cry more faggot, if anything you're the one shitposting.
>>
>>2010402
>relying on buzzwords when you have nothing of value to retort with
nice one
>>
>>2010406
>Muh buzzwords
>Nothing of value to retort with
Ironic. If you're not going to talk about dogs, then seriously shut the fuck up.
>>
>>2010388
Lol I laughed.

>>2010391
Maybe when he was young. He has thr body of a stumpy cattle and the face of a Collie / almost kelpie. Super cute. Can't post photo at this time. He's grey and white with lots of spots
>>
File: pupper.jpg (15KB, 236x353px) Image search: [Google]
pupper.jpg
15KB, 236x353px
What's a good hypoallergenic pup for a first time dog owner?
>>
Can you a teach a dog two different commands on the same visual cue, but on different hands? Like making a mock mouth with the left would mean "growl" while with the right it would mean "bark".
>>
>>2010329
Real questions like the useful diet discussion and the anon asking for advice with his nippy pup above..
>>
>>2010518
>Nippy pup
Not him, but when that person asked that question, the first reply was the peta douche telling him that he wouldn't have that problem if he didn't buy a byb pup, so anon was right
>>
>>2010519
he also got three replies with useful advice.
>>
>>2010371
>BC X Blue Heeler
>leaving it alone outside all day

No matter how many stimulating activities you leave him with, he will not entertain himself to the point beyond boredom because both of those breeds are designed to work closely with their masters pretty much all day every day. With the setup you've described you're going to end up with an incredibly bored dog who will compulsively bark at any and all activity he can see and dig the ever-loving shit out of your yard to make up for a lack of stimulation.

Only get this puppy if: you can dedicate a few hours daily to varied, intensive training and exercise and will be spending your free days/weekends involved in working/obedience trials.
>>
>>2010488
Yes, but it has to be done in a very precise, consistent manner to avoid confusing the dog.
>>
File: 8675912993_6e35378e2b_b.jpg (521KB, 1024x674px) Image search: [Google]
8675912993_6e35378e2b_b.jpg
521KB, 1024x674px
>I don't know these puppies.
>>
My dog is about 1.4 years old, and his nose has changed colors, used to be dark black. I prefer it black but this color suits him as well. There can be many reasons for the change and it still seems healthy, but the weather isn't very cold here in southern California and he's mostly inside.
Anyways, it's fine right?
>>
>>2010389
>if redirecting didn't work I started making a short, extremely high pitched squeal if he got me.
I can't really do that unfortunately. My voice is super low and deep. Like James Earl Jones level of that shit. I can't reach any even remotely higher pitches before my voice breaks.

>additional I'd actually put apple cider vinegar on my arms and fingers, puppy bites hand and gets a nasty taste,
I thought about getting Bitter Apple spray and doing this, but I was afraid it'd create negative connotations with my hands, and she'd try to avoid them altogether or something. I'm probably overthinking though huh?

I'm so paranoid about raising her correctly. I haven't really ever raised a puppy before. Last dog was 2 years old when I got him.

>>2010355
Will check out when I get home. Thanks buddy.
>>
File: CBF5ScT.jpg (79KB, 780x707px) Image search: [Google]
CBF5ScT.jpg
79KB, 780x707px
>>2010679
>>
Can someone suggest a name for a female Labrador puppy?
>>
>>2010907
Labia

Because it's a lab and a girl
>>
How do you stop a dog whining when you go to bed and he sleeps outside. We have carpet so we don't want it getting kneaded into the floor. He usually stops after I growl at him but is there a better way? Apart from this he is super disciplined and a great mate.
>>
>>2010534
Wrong again pious ass hole. Do you ever get sick of telling strangers on the internet what you believe the world would be like?

OP, if they have a good temperament and you take it hiking and walking daily like you said they would he will be fine. Sources ; owning cattle dogs my whole life and having similar life style to yours. Never had a hole dug nor had barking complaints and I've asked the neighbours. I found hanging a tennis ball up on an elastic rope kept them going well.

Actually I lie, he dug holes ad a puppy, put his face in them a couple times and he never did it again. He only does it in the sand pit now.
>>
>>2010938
>Pious asshole
This board is full of them anon. I remember one time an anon was telling us about his remarkably well trained 8 week old pup that was potty trained, yet those same pious dipshits gave him shit because his dog is apparently "too young" to be adopted.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-06-07-39-30.png (2MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-06-07-39-30.png
2MB, 1080x1920px
Bumpin the dog thread
>>
So I'm gonna pick up my puppy is a couple of weeks and the drive is going to be a long for 4 hours. Fortunately I have family living half way between where I need to go and where I live. I am debating on toughing it out and going the 4 hours back home, or spending the night at my uncle's house. He has two friendly dogs and the supplies to take care of a dog, but I don't know if I am rushing into socializing.

I've heard people say to socialize as soon as you can and others say gradually build up to it to reduce anxiety.

The puppy is a female Blue Heeler if that helps at all.
>>
Is it bad that my 12 week old puppy can hold in his bladder/poo all night? (6 hours)

I read online that they can only hold it in for 1 hour per month of their age, so my puppy should only be able to hold it in for 3 hours.
>>
>holding 5 week old lab puppy at a breeder
>puppy shakes because she's nervous

Is this normal?
>>
>>2012203
They hold it longer when they're asleep, calm, and it's night.
>>
>>2012215
No, that's not normal. Pups that age should have been introduced to dozens of strangers by now.
>>
>>2010462
Standard poodle, but don't subject it to that awful haircut though.
>>
How do you guys get in touch with reputable breeders, and what exactly defines a reputable breeder? I've really only looked up on the AKC site, but I figured that wasn't the end-all list of them. Getting a dog in a couple months and I just want to make sure he comes from someone who isn't pants-on-head retarded.
>>
>>2012225
Should I be worried?
>>
So I'm looking to adopt and a live in a dog friendly apartment that has a fenced area on the roof and there are several parks within walking distance. There are some restrictions against breeds deemed aggressive but there are no size restrictions.

I don't own a car and I walk/bus everywhere, in the summers I spend some weekends doing light hiking and camping.

What breeds should I look for?
>>
>>2012288
Yes. If they are cutting corners n socialization, I would have to wonder where else they were cutting corners.
Ask to see certificates stating that the breeding dogs have been health tested. Don't take the breeders word for it, ask yo see paperwork from the Orthapedic Foundation for Animals. You can also look up any registered dog at their website-
Offa.org
>>
>>2012266
Check out the breed club for info on finding a reputable breeder.
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 1974x1476px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 1974x1476px
>>2012266
>>
>>2012571
>>2012456
I've had dogs all my life, but this is my first dog that I am not getting any help with, because I moved a little while back.
I think I found someone that looks really good for a BC. And they said they are having a litter winter 2015. Can I post breeder websites to see if anyone can find a red flag?
>>
>>2012605
Sure thing.
>>
>>2012619
http://www.juletoo.com/
For their most recent litter, they say that Structure and Temperament are two qualities they bred for, if I'm not going to be actively using them to herd or compete, is that a problem?
>>
>>2012455
Hey dummy, where's your abundance of sources showing how adopting puppies at minimum 12 weeks is best?
>>
>adopted 3 year old Pug/Chihuahua mix
>only knows how to sit
>been trying to teach her shake for 3 months
>still stares at me blankly, only raises paw if I nudge it
>other dog learned tricks within a week, knows 5 and working on more

Is this because she's still adjusting/a rescue or because I'm a shitty trainer and my other dog is just smart? Or is she retarded?
>>
File: Corgie Cardio.gif (460KB, 500x317px) Image search: [Google]
Corgie Cardio.gif
460KB, 500x317px
>>2010222
>>2010257
>>2010261
>>2010269
>>2010310
>>2010330
>>2010332
>>2010334
>>2010335
>>2010337
>>2010340
>>2010341
>>2010344
>>2010347
>>2010349
>>2010352
>>2010361
>>2010386
>>2010395
>>2010398
>>2012803
>ITT: people who care very deeply about being right on an anonymous image board
You don't suppose "8-12, but it depends and 8 might be a bit on the early side" would be good enough answer? Every dog is a unique snowflake, and owners have different priorities and schedules. Just get over it for all our sakes. Here's a cute doggie gif to calm you down!
>>
>>2012809
It's part chihuahua.
Of course it's retarded.
>>
Ok an riddle me this.

I see alot of responses on not to smack your dog when it's naughty ect and to use tone and commands instead.

But how would you stop a dog from doing things like whining when you go inside and it's alone? Or if you come home and find out its been barking all day?

Are these things better addressed such as leaving it different toys because it's bored? What about when you go to bed? That can't just he a case of boredom if you were just playing with him.

General problems with dogs and the fix methods?
>>
>>2012819
Jesus dude, for someone poking fun at "caring too deeply", you seem to care enough to go through the whole thread and highlight every post related to the discussion
>>
>>2012837
I smack my dog when he bites/lunges at me, which i believe is the only exception to hitting a dog. Did it a few times and he hasn't done it since.
>>
Can you kind anons please post a typical day for your puppy?

Example;
7am: wake up, take him out to potty, play time in the backyard
8am: Feed
9am: Crate time
11am: Play time
12pm: Feed

etc etc.

I need to know because i feel bad for keeping my puppy in his crate *most* of the day and want to know if i'm doing it right.

Also, he's a terrier mix (super energetic) and after being in his crate all day he goes fucking nuts. Aside from playing a tug-a-war, how do i burn off the energy since i can't walk him yet?
>>
>>2012845
I have a 4 month old terrier, I didn't keep her in a crate though so she's got a bit more freedom.

Good way to tire them out is to just throw toys down your hallway or something, the longest area you can. Do this over and over for a while and she'll get puffed out.
>>
File: IMG_20151202_170503_362.jpg (1MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151202_170503_362.jpg
1MB, 1836x3264px
Reposting

Ok /an/, I'm going to start this with "We've fucked up"
My family has a chocolate lab (female, 10 years old, not spayed) and we never really socialized her with other dogs.
Just got back from her annual vet checkup and needless to say I am embarrassed by her behavior, I'll greentext the important bits
>Every time someone came in she was trying to pull me over so she could check them out, if they came by she'd smell them and be fine, so that wasn't too bad
>Dog comes in and she immediately starts whining and becomes a 70lb ball of anxiety until they're out of sight
>Every time she looked over at the posters with dogs on them she'd get anxious too, yes it was ridiculous
>State trooper picks up his young black lab, when they walk by our dog gets really riled up and whining like mad
>Little girl and her dashund standing nearby with her carrying him, our dog keeps pulling to get closer and she jumps up and both of them snarl at each other (Was filling out paperwork at the time, but I kept her leash tight)
>Vet puts her on the table, she doesn't make a peep nor causes any fuss
That being said I don't know how to tackle this issue
When she's in her own yard and another dog meets her at the fence or wiggles into the yard she's fine, but on the leash she gets real worried about everything
Pic related, the seat she chose on the way home
>>
>>2012632
Their website doesn't look too bad, the only red flag to me is you are not looking for a highly active dog and herding/agility BC's are as active as they get. It looks like they have a few dogs who compete in lower-energy activities like Rally, Obedience, and therapy work; so if you are willing to participate in those activities you can ask if they plan on producing more puppies with that kind of temperament or if they have another breeder they'd recommend with puppies that better fit your lifestyle.

So far, though, they look pretty good. I like the fact they are part of the national breed club's breeder referral program. You'll still want to do your due diligence when it comes to checking out their health clearances:
http://www.caninehealthinfo.org/brdreqs.html?breed=BCO
And any pairing should be between dogs with "titles on both ends" A.K.A. both conformation and working, not just one or the other, and again ideally in lower-energy activities.
>>
>>2012852
Will give this a go, especially since he's started getting the hang of fetch (He doesn't bring it back yet lol).

Gotta love terriers though, they're great
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 550x788px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 550x788px
>>2012845
This was the schedule when I first brought Admiral home, IIRC we stayed on this schedule for about a week and then I was slowly able to lengthen the time between potty breaks.

If you're home he doesn't necessarily need to stay in his crate but he does need to be somewhere you can directly supervise him 100% so he properly learns how to behave in the home and doesn't accidentally pick up bad habits like chewing.

For tiring him out, it'll be easier than you think at first, puppies grow so quickly the first few months that they'll be using a lot of their energy just for growing. During the times when he's out of his crate you can vary the activities which will keep him more stimulated and engaged, and he's definitely at the age where he can start training which is very stimulating for little puppy brains. So between crating maybe one session chasing after a ball, one session tug, one session free exploring in your yard, a couple training sessions, etc...
>>
>>2012866
Start your own thread, fucktard.
>>
My dog injured his back a few weeks ago and now he has trouble using his back legs. The vet said he has a slipped disk so they put him on steroids. He's been showing some improvement but is still far from recovered. My family can't afford surgery for him, so if the steroids don't work he will have to be put down. What are the chances that my dog will recover, /an/?
>>
>>2012885
50/50, either he recovers, or he doesn't.
>>
>>2012809
Your dog is just retarded. My dog learned shake in like 2 minutes (he's probably too smart because sometimes when I'm eating he comes and paws at me.)
>>
>>2012918
Some dogs are insanely smart, but don't take kindly to tricks. Had a friend with a greater swiss mountain and despite being quite intelligent, would pretty much tell you to fuck off if you played around with him too much with trick shit. He just liked patrolling the house/yard and figuring out new ways to get into shit.
>>
>>2012877
Fine, Jesus
>>
>>2012920
Good point!

I'm not sure if anon's chi/pug mix would have that attitude though. Chis like to show off and pugs are eager to please normally.
>>
>>2012875
What is "Admiral...?"
>>
File: image.jpg (120KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
120KB, 900x600px
I need some badass sounding german names to call a rottweiler puppy.
>>
>>2013017
Wilhelm

"Will"

or pronounce it correctly "Vilhelm"
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 650x434px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 650x434px
>>2013018
Solid. Doesn't have to be a name could be a bad ass sounding word.
>>
>>2013004
Meals I think? I don't remember anymore.
>>
My dog still wags her tail, but her throat is really irritated. If she drinks water, she coughs. If she eats any type of grass, she coughs/hacks/heaves. Whenever she eats, she coughs out big chunks. Never ends up vomiting though. She is salivating a lot more often now to the point where her mouth just drips now, and it's not the usual stringy saliva when she sees food; drips like water droplets. To top things off, she has gotten really unbalanced, to the point where she is scared of going on the couch now. One time she was on the couch and she almost fell. I noticed she was about to fall so i held my hands open at her side so she wouldn't fall over, but then she squeeled. Her bark is a lot more raspy than usual too. It seems like her neck is sore too, which explains why she squeeled when i saved her from falling. I can't give her a good rub allover her body now, i can only give her a belly rub.

Initially I thought it was kennel cough. But when I took her to the vet the vet said that there's nothing wrong with her, that she's just getting old. Vet says that if she's eating dog food (she is) and drinking water (she is), its okay. But what about her throat? Her neck? Her balance? Is this seriously what an old dog goes through? I know that dogs get arthritis just like humans, so perhaps her sore neck is the result of arthritis. But everything else?

My other dog is showing early signs of the same cough. He's hacking and coughing now, not as often as my female dog, but he's catching something. Only difference is that he's actually throwing up. And he's having diarrhea very often. His diarrhea has blood in it, a bright red.

I took him to the vet too, and his vet said the same thing that the other dog's vet said -- that if he's eating (he is) and he's drinking water (he is), then that there's nothing to worry about. But what about his diarrhea?

What do I do? Thank you in advance.
>>
>>2012875
Dude were you really walking him up to 5 times a day?
>>
>>2013327
More, she would get walks after each meal. I was in an apartment then, if I got a puppy now they'd just be regular potty breaks and not full on walks.
>>
File: IMG_0014.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0014.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Fucking puppies, man.

This has to stop. She still doesn't respond to my commands when she starts hungering for flesh. Redirection is such bullshit too, half the time I try she goes for my hands instead anyways.

She's only like this at night at least.
>>
Breeding dogs.

>female tries to mount male, male growls and runs
>male tries to mount female, female sits down

How to I get these dogs to mate?

The bitch is in heat, they both want to fuck each other, it doesn't happen.
>>
>>2013389
(cont)
They're both virgins.
The female's gone through at least 3 heat cycles, it's been more than a week since heat started, they're both at a good age, they're both healthy, etcetera.
>>
>>2013393
>>2013389
Fuck off BYB.
>>
>>2013345
Oh that makes sense, fuck owning a pup and living in an apartment would be a hassle
>>
File: 100_0374.jpg (1MB, 2848x2134px) Image search: [Google]
100_0374.jpg
1MB, 2848x2134px
I adopted this guy about 6 months ago from the animal shelter here in town. He's a 2 year old border collie mix, and they said he was a stray. Anyways, he's a great dog, but has a few bad behaviors due to his old life. He has separation anxiety pretty bad, and he freaks out when I leave to go to work. At first, he would just spin around and bark all kinds, but within the last month he has started to nip at me too when I leave. He hasn't broken my skin yet, but he has bruised it pretty bad a few times. I know that nipping in border collies can be instinctual, but does anyone have any advice for deterring this nipping shit?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>2013402
Try draining off some of that energy before you leave the house. Play ball or whatever, a tired dog is a well behaved dog.
I know that may seem unrelated to the nipping, but I also have a bc mix. When she doesn't get enough exercise she is more prone to acting out. She will suddenly (but gently) bite the top of your foot, or she will grab your hand with her mouth (again, gently). It's not painful, but it scares people. It's just a bad habit.
>>
>>2013404
I walk him sometimes within an hour before I leave, but I'll try to wear him out more by playing with him at home too. Some people have told me to try spraying him with a squirt gun, but that sounds kind of mean. Would that be worth trying?
>>
>>2013404
we do some weird things with our dogs
>>
>>2013387
I know this feel. I've started hitting my dog now with my slipper. Not hard, but enough to get a message across. He doesn't bite anymore, which makes you wonder how shit redirection and "positivity" is. Probably the people saying this shit are the same people that would never discipline their child.
>>
>>2013449
With the extremely higher intelligence that humans possess, punishment to reinforce behavior does in fact for a very large majority of the time, fuck up the children. I reiterate, fuck up the children.
On the other hand, positive reinforcing can very well lead the child to grow up motivated.

>be me
>be psychology major dropout
>>
>>2013472
Punishment is critical especially in the earliest stages of moral development where young children are only to interpret things as "do something wrong = smack". When they become older and are able to comprehend WHY what they did is wrong, then yeah physical punishment is not needed.

>Criminology with some psychology classes
>>
File: esq-giving-toast-0212-lg.jpg (52KB, 460x450px) Image search: [Google]
esq-giving-toast-0212-lg.jpg
52KB, 460x450px
Owning a medium - large size dog is like being in charge of a slightly dumber, more aggressive human child with claws and sharp teeth. People who own cats, small dogs, birds, chinchillas and the like will never know what a challenge owning one of these animals is. Pets are like accessories to these irresponsible, lackluster people.

Here's to you, /dog/, and all that you have learned.
>>
>>2013478
Try owning a small terrier faggot.
>>
>>2013449
>>2013477

Its not shit. I'm going to struggle to say this without being overly insulting: you're actually an idiot. Whenever people like you make blanket excuses to justify whatever uneducated behaviour you engage in ("positivity and redirection is dumb, hitting my dog works"), it makes me ill. This statement shows a profound lack of understanding of canine behaviour. There are several levels of reasoning to why physical punishment doesn't work on dogs. The first level is the equating your dog to a human ("the people against this are 'probably' the same people that wouldn't discipline their child - you're make an assumption backed up by an assumption.) The dog behaves "badly" and you respond with physical punishment under the assumption that your dog can accept physical punishment as a form of communication. It cannot. Dogs are not children. Children are not animals. Your GOAL as a dog owner, as the owner of an mid-level animal, in size AND intelligence, that can potentially do damage to people and property in society, is to learn the unique language of human-canine interaction. This language is made of a number of tools are your disposal: body language, sounds, repetition, games, and food. Of the tools NOT useful in communicating with your dog is PHYSICAL PUNISHMENT - physically reprimanding your in any way results in confusion and distrust, every. Single. Time. And it completely undermines any real ability you can have to control your dog. It's also immature and lazy; a cruel method of placating your own frustration your own frustration rather than imparting discipline.
>>
>>2013493
In case you couldn't read, we were talking specifically about biting.
>>
>>2013496

SO? In case YOU couldn't read, the point was hitting your dog is the wrong way to teach them anything.
>>
>>2013477
The same thing can be said about doing something right ( = reward).

>>2013481
>I'm replying to this
I mean a majority of humans. It's like saying "fish swim." Not all fish swim, for one reason or another, but a majority swim.

I've built rockets, and I've built fires. I went to summer camp and the family I'm close with like outdoors stuff.
One of the mentioned family has a tiny dog despite how they can't take care of it well.
>>
>>2013497
Because physical reactions are not present in dogs? Because the concept of dogs communicating physically is non existent in dogs? Don't be so retarded anon.
>>
>>2013493
>Own a cat
>Buy puppy one day
>Puppy keeps jumping on cat and nipping at his ears
>Cat responds with a quick claw and hiss
>Puppy learnt and never fucked with cat after that

If you think physical punishment is not a form of communication, then you're stupid as fuck. Besides, the only way to form distrust and fear in your pet is if you literally beat your dog or smack to inflict pain.
>>
>>2013506
>>Puppy learnt and never fucked with cat after that
Yeah, I'm certain that your puppy totally doesn't have a distrust of the cat now.
>>
>>2013510
Nice assumption faggot, those two are almost inseparable, the puppy just knows there are boundaries. But hey, whatever fits with your *shitty* argument right?
>>
>>2013387
>>2013449
How old?
>>
>>2013583
4 months
>>
im not evrn reading but here queer https://youtu.be/CQLhu55mxz4
my dog is satanic
>>
>>2013583
12 weeks.
I'm trying the squeal sounds followed by NO followed by ignoring. It's worked more this morning than usual...
>>
>tfw I think dogs are extremely cute
>tfw can't own them as preys because they're too energetic for me
Life is suffering
>>
>>2010693
hes qt
>>
>>2013389
>>2013393
Still here.
>>
>>2013693
Still a shitty BYB.
Fuck off.
>>
>>2013700
Not fucking off.
>>
File: STEE0889.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
STEE0889.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
Pupper
>>
>>2013498
No one said positive reinforcement wasn't useful either. Can't just have one or the other.
>>
File: Rocky,_Lurcher[1].jpg (110KB, 745x605px) Image search: [Google]
Rocky,_Lurcher[1].jpg
110KB, 745x605px
Is using Lurchers for ferreting a thing in the US? Curious because every video I have seen of it on Youtube has been from England
>>
>>2013808
>Lurchers for ferreting
what do those words even mean
>>
>>2013387

My hand and wrist are just as scratched up. I tried the whole "impersonate a yelp" thing or just making a sudden loud noise and going limp and it just doesn't work for my pupper at all.

She's steadily getting better, and has got to the point where she'll cut out of medium hyper (ie, jogging up to you or obviously up to no good) if you sternly give a sit and start going through obedience stuff, but if she'll full on hyper then I end up going through a process of trying that, trying to distract and then just picking her up and giving her a timeout in another room when all else fails.

Sometimes I feel like jumping into obedience stuff when she's hyper might be encouraging her since I use treats, but she's been pretty good so far with just abandoning messing around and jumping right into doing what I say because she knows I expect it every time. I had to learn the hard way that pushing her down, trying commands louder and trying to simply distract her with toys doesn't work when she's properly wound up. She'll keep going for skin every time, and even if it works initially she'll grab a toy and bring it over to your foot and casually try to migrate chewing the toy to chewing your foot, or just go for clothes.

When she can't be distracted or calmed then I end up putting her out of the room for a timeout (listening for mischief or crying) and keep trying until she enters calm and will go for a toy and leave our skin alone. I'm just constantly having to worry about what I'm communicating as play to her and that I'm not setting enough time aside that I can play with her. I'm just now able to walk her, which is good because it tires her out, and she's good with sit, down, leave it, paw and even high five, but sometimes when I try to initiate play with her she'll just get too hyper and ruin it. I have an idea now when she's chewing things because of teething and when she's just being mischeivous and I can usually play with her during the former.
>>
>>2013389
>they both want to fuck each other
Apparently they don't.
>>
File: Waterlily Pond, 1899.jpg (105KB, 700x687px) Image search: [Google]
Waterlily Pond, 1899.jpg
105KB, 700x687px
>>2013808
Beautiful pic, like a Monet painting!
>>
>>2013995
>Apparently they don't.
They do, they just don't know how to have sex.
Maybe I should try showing them some dog porn.

http://sciencenordic.com/do-dogs-see-what%E2%80%99s-happening-tv
>>
>>2014008

>Maybe I should try showing them some dog porn.

>"Y-yes officer, that's the reason why a passerby saw explicit animal sex on my television..."
>>
I recently adopted a second dog.
Here are their stats for reference:
>Resident dog: Papillon mix, M/N, 4-5 yo, 18 lbs
>New dog: American Eskimo, F/S, 5-6 yo, 19 lbs

This is my first time owning two dogs at once.
What is considered "normal" as far as activity between the two dogs?
My male resident dog really wants to smell her and go up to her but every time he tries to she will growl or snap. He has gotten the message and has been keeping his distance for the most part, but still tries on occasion.
Tonight in particular she reacted really strongly and he got scared and yelped, but she didn't actually bite him.
She hasn't really initiated anything with him as far as her trying to smell him or go up to him.
Will it just take time? Should I correct the new dog for growling or snapping at him? Is most of this fairly typical?
>>
>>2014070
They might just need some time to get used to each other and figure out who's higher in the hierarchy.
>>
File: 00F0F_eW9C54SdT9e_600x450[1].jpg (21KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
00F0F_eW9C54SdT9e_600x450[1].jpg
21KB, 600x337px
Ad says the dogs are a maltese/poodle mix. met the owner and saw the puppies and they are obviously tiny. owner said they will grow to be 8ish lbs

I'm not worried so much about the actual genetics, but I haven't seen the parents and I just want to get a better idea of whether or not this size estimate is accurate
>>
File: 00H0H_5yLCgvQG8gZ_600x450[1].jpg (28KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
00H0H_5yLCgvQG8gZ_600x450[1].jpg
28KB, 600x337px
>>2014139
>>
>>2013387
My puppy used to bite a bit too hard.
Then an older dog I know warmed up to her, and they started playing together loads. A week later, it was already better. Now she barely bites at all and barely ever hurt, mostly it's when she tries to move her mouth/I move my hand and scrape against her pointy baby teeth.
>>
>>2014142
oh goodness. those are some of the cutest puppies i have ever seen!
>>
>>2014202
What did your older dog do to reduce the biting? Snarled at her? Taught her bite inhibition? Or just kept her occupied?
>>
>>2014218
Well the first week, the older dog didn't want to interact much, and then, they just started play-fighting together a lot, not sure what they did exactly, it was some time ago already. They play tug-of-war together too, it's 2cute. They've started running after each other outside, too.
The older dog did growl a lot, but that definitely was play growl. Only ever saw her really snarl at the pup when the puppy approached her food bowl (but that was just once, never snarled then again, probably had her favorite food that day, who knows) or when the puppy comes too close and the older's dog lazying on the couch.
>>
When should I feed my puppy twice a day, she's 4 months old atm
>>
>>2014246
You really have to let the dog decide. I think my dog was around 5-6 months when he just neglected his second meal. I know some people who have adult dogs that still eat three times a day. Just comes down to what works for you and your pup
>>
>>2014116
Yeah that's what I was thinking.
But none of that behavior sounds abnormal right? I just want to be sure the new dog isn't going to terrorize my current dog.
>>
getting a puppy, about 10 weeks old. how do you recommend leaving him home alone while i am at work? I do come home for an hour lunch every day
>>
File: Snapchat-609357028225690830.jpg (734KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-609357028225690830.jpg
734KB, 720x1280px
This guy showed up at my house last night, can you guys help me figure out what breed he is so I can make some posters for him?
>>
>>2014280
Why would you get a puppy just to abandon it for eight hours a day?
>>
>>2014284
because I'm literally hitler
>>
>>2014288
Hitler's wife and house staff took care of his pups when he was away, man.
>>
>>2014139
>>2014142
No way to be sure with mixes. Also really doesn't help that they don't have the parents around to see. They look about 3-4 weeks in those pictures, if that helps at all
>>
>>2014288
Hitler was a much better dog handler than that, you know.
>>
>>2014142
Don't buy a pup from this BYB. It will end up a genetic mess.
>>
>ask dog questions

Does this mean questions a dog would ask?

Or are we asking a dog questions?
>>
>>2014301
I asked my dog if you were a moron, she said yes.
>>
>>2014299
so i either buy a $3000 "reputable breeder" dog, or pick up a mutt from the pound

no thanks
>>
>>2014281
Your best bet is to not write a breed down, he looks like a mutt anyways. It may mislead people if you say he's a Husky/pit mix and their owners are thinking their dog is an Alaskan Husky. Write posters, post on facebook and lost/found dog forums etc about finding a black(brown?) and white dog, put that picture up so people can determine if it's their dog. I would suggest posting that you require proof of ownership, which can literally just be the people having a photo of the dog, so scum bags don't jump on this as an opportunity to get a free dog.
>>
>>2014303
What do you want in a dog? Because it sounds like you just want a cheap dog and that is exactly what pounds are for.

There is no guarantee that dog won't get 30 to 40 pounds especially if parents are there, and there is a damn good reason they won't show you the parents.
>>
>>2014308
Look how tiny the puppies paws are. You're stupid as fuck if you think the dog reaching 30-40 pounds is even a possibility.
>>
>>2014319
An idiot is mixing two breeds with lots of known health problems. Those breeds happen to share quite a few of those genetic problems, so the pups are almost gurenteed to be unhealthy. Anyone stupid enough to sell poodle/Maltese mixes sure as fuck isn't going to do the nessecary health tests.

These pups are at an extremely high risk to develope-
- luxating patella
- juvenile cataracts
- cancer
- bad elbows
- bowed legs
- dental problems
>>
File: whitefeet.jpg (32KB, 505x404px) Image search: [Google]
whitefeet.jpg
32KB, 505x404px
>>2014324
The animal isn't even weaned yet. Don't try to count on feet until the dog is at least 6 weeks old. All young puppy feet look small. Also feet is not accurate at all. If you think a dog will be 50 lbs based on feet, assume anywhere from your guess to double that guess. There is no theorem on measuring a dog's paw to guess it's adult size for a reason, you know.

Paws are a terrible way to guess on a dog so young.

Pic related, an 8 week old dog with tiny feet. It's double the age of the other white dog, it's feet to body ratio, which you claim to be an accurate decider of adult size, is the same; the paws just melts right into the leg, no big thick floppy paws.
>>
>>2014326
>Extremely high risk
Where is your sources that say so? Just because a breed is susceptible to certain health problems, it doesn't mean they're at a "extremely high risk" of contracting them. That is an extreme and idiotic exaggeration. Besides, maltese and poodles are known to be quite hardy dogs anyways, given their health risks.
>>
>>2014319
Both breeds have over-lapping health problems, meaning the resulting puppies have actually a bigger chance of receiving these genetic issues from their parents than their pure bred counterparts. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand how punnet squares work
>>
>>2014332
See>>2014333
>>
>>2014335
That doesn't answer my question dumbo. What sources say they're at an extremely high risk (i.e. pretty much guaranteed) of contracting those health problems?
>>
>>2014337
PUNNET SQUARES YOU FOOL
>>
>>2014339
You're still not understanding the question you fucking idiot.
>>
File: punnet squares.png (9KB, 530x490px) Image search: [Google]
punnet squares.png
9KB, 530x490px
>>2014332
Let's do punnet squares, pal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Punnett_square
>>
>>2014346
>>2014343
>>
>>2014343
I think the issue is you don't actually understand the answer
>>
>>2014281
did you take it to a shelter or vet to get it scanned for a chip?
>>
>>2014343 BTFO BY >>2014346
>>
>>2014349
>higher risk =/= extremely high risk
Comprende?
>>
>>2014351
>>2014352
Retards i swear
>>
>>2014350
>>2014281
Apparently some pet stores will scan for microchips too

>>2014352
You're trying to pedal the conversation your way by making an argument that can't be beat by using subjective descriptions that you can change at will (because it is subjective) and impossible implications by 'guarantee', to say in theorem something will be guaranteed to happen without being genetically manipulated in a lab type setting.

You can find out how a genetic issue (or any genetics that is not sporadic) may occur by using a punnet square and the genes you want to test. You're just too stupid or you haven't passed 7th grade yet.
>>
>>2014356
Stop trying to sound smart faggot, you made an objective claim that they're at an extremely high risk of contracting those health problems yet you can't even provide sources for your idiotic claim. The only thing you've said that is agreeable is that they're at a higher risk than their purebred counterparts, no shit, yet that doesn't answer my question which you're desperately trying to avoid.
>>
>>2014360
My claim was not. They are at a higher risk, that is true and testable. You're talking to more than one anon, perhaps. You don't sound smart or convincing when you lose your temper. Your question can be answered by
>>2014346
>>2014339
>>2014333
I'm honestly dumbfounded that you are not understanding this. I'm not avoiding the answer, you're avoiding seeing it.

Do you need an example? I can give you an example if you need it. Give me any two dogs and what genes we are testing for, and I'll show you how it works. But I'll need payment if I'm going to tutor you.
>>
>>2014364
>>2014326
>these pups are at an extremely high risk to develop
>My claim was not
Nice back peddling, but I think we're done here. Keep beating around the bush though if you'd like.
>>
>>2014350
Just got back from the vet, he has no chip in him sadly. Any ideas on where to go next?
>>
>>2014368
You're quoting the wrong anon.
You are argueing with at least two people.
>>
>>2014373
>You're quoting the wrong anon
Then fuck off from the argument if you don't even know what's being argued you stupid fuck
>>
>>2014368
>There's only one other person on /an/!

Hmmmmm
>>
>>2014376
See >>2014374
Another fucking retard
>>
>>2013983
She's being pretty crazy this morning. If I play with her she goes too nuts and starts biting hands and toes hard. If I ignore her for this behavior she's apparently developed a new habit of whining and ballistically searching every place she can reach for something. No idea why.
Maybe I should sign up for a puppy class. Designed to help her socialize with other dogs and help with behavior. She might just be needy for interaction beyond my abilities.
FUCK I WISH THIS VACCINE SHIT WAS OVER WITH.
>>
>>2014370
I guess the next thing you can do is post ads on craigslist and other social media and maybe hang flyers. Or just keep the dog as your own if he's cool
>>
>>2014374
I'm the person you started shit with. I stopped replying because you are either an idiot or a troll.
>>
>>2014386
You stopped replying because you can't provide sources for your claim and you had the other idiot doing all the arguing for you despite him not knowing what the fuck is being argued. Case closed.
>>
>>2013389
>>2013393
>>2014008
Still here.
The dog porn didn't work, I guess it's because I couldn't find any HQ dog on dog porn with sound.
Both Pit Bulls, by the way.
It seems like when the female tries to mount and hump the male, the male things that she is trying to dominate him, and then he growls and runs.
And when the male tries to mount and hump the female, she thinks that he's trying to dominate her, and she sits and submits.
>>
Need help /dg/

I own a terrier pupper, cutest little guy. If i don't socialise him with cats AT ALL, will his prey instincts kick in when he's older and he'll attack any cat he sees?

Let's just say there's this cat that keeps shitting on my lawn that i want him to... subdue..
>>
File: its time to stop posting.jpg (88KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
its time to stop posting.jpg
88KB, 500x375px
>>2014377
So you don't want to argue with either of us because you just found you're wrong. GG dipshit
>>
>>2014400
That's a good way to get your puppies shit fucked up.
>>
>>2014387
You're really grasping now. It's OK if you didn't graduate yet, but all of 4chan is 18 or over, not just the porn boards.

http://www.biology101.org/studyguides/punnett.pdf
>>
>>2014405
>>2014408
>He keeps posting the punnett square
Lmao, good job on proving my point
>>
>>2014406
I've seen terriers kill snakes, what makes you think some little bitch nigga cat has a chance against my dog when he's older?
>>
File: IMG_20151209_193851988.jpg (2MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151209_193851988.jpg
2MB, 2592x1456px
>>2010218
Should I trim the fur that grows in between my lab's toes?

>pic related
>i know the pic isn't necessary but i love her paws
>>
>>2014498
Why would you need to trim the underside of their paws?
>>
What does /an/ use for their dog treats, do you dice chicken, normal dog treats? I'm open to suggestions because I'm getting my first dog this weekend.
>>
>>2014390
>Both Pit Bulls

pls don't do this
>>
File: mmnnn.png (80KB, 169x238px) Image search: [Google]
mmnnn.png
80KB, 169x238px
Fuck.

My pupper just broke one of her upper baby canines. About a millimeter of the tip. Looks like I can see the pulp. Bleeding was very minor and stopped shortly after. Obviously some pain but she's acting no different than usual.

I'll probably have to get it extracted tomorrow. Fuuuuuuck.
>>
>>2014498
It's not necessary. If she slips on your floors or something and it bothers her or you, go ahead but otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Oh, I guess if you go out in the snow a lot, trimming paw hair can be good for that too to prevent a lot of ice from sticking to the fur between their toes.

But the fur on her paws doesn't even look that long so it's probably not necessary either way.
>>
>>2013389
>>2013393
>>2014390
>>2014400
"It's not the breed, it's the owners"
>ITT: "those" owners.

>>2014337
>>2014343
>>2014354
>>2014360
>>2014368
>>2014374
>>2014377
>>2014387
>ITT: an angry retard
>>
>>2014617
I've got a 13 year old Pom that dislodged a front tooth while rough housing and cost me 700 for extraction. Ugh but I love her so whatever.
>>
>>2014599
I have to.

>>2014654
>>ITT: "those" owners.
I'll have you know that I'm an extremely highly capable individual.
>>
File: 1313458273607.jpg (38KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
1313458273607.jpg
38KB, 640x512px
>>2014657
>extremely highly capable individual
That feel: when you were all earnest and concerned, but then slowly realize you were being trolled all along. This 4channer salutes you: GR8B8M8!
>>
File: cowman.jpg (145KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
cowman.jpg
145KB, 2000x1000px
>>2010218
>>
I have a question.

I have a friend who has his mutt. He's really cute. He's just not trained at all. He's so shit on a lead, he pisses himself every time someone walks into the house. He gives him like big slices of raw chicken. The thing is terrified of water but he throws him in the pool and tries to swim with him to 'get him used it it and love water'. It eats everything around the house when he isn't home. How fucked is this dog? Or is this normal for like a 6 month old puppy.
>>
>>2014707
He's going to end up at a shelter.
>>
>>2014709
Hah yeah, back to the one they got him I reckon. Poor little guy. As long as he has fun I guess. Would he even be trainable in a years time?
>>
>>2014711
Yes, but it will take much, much longer to undo a bad habit than to prevent it from forming.
>>
>>2014654
What's there to be angry about? Those retards had no rebuttal lol
>>
>>2014654
I'm one of "those" owners for asking how to terrier a terrier? Nice one dipshit
>>
Anyone here heard of barkbox.com?

It kinda seems like a neat idea. A box of new toys, treats, and chews every month.
I'm just wondering if its actually decent shit.
>>
My neighbors dog is pretty friendly, and I give him headrubs sometimes when he sticks his head through the fence. He's a little overweight and really old, he's going grey.

Sometimes though, he whines a lot when I'm petting him. I'm wondering if he's extremely bored and wants to play or something? The neighbors have a pretty small yard and I never see them walking him. He doesn't whine till I start petting him, and I'm pretty gentle about it. It's not a sharp pain whine, but rather that bored dog whine.

How do I cheer him up? He tried shaking hands with me out of the blue today when I called him a "good boy", so I guess he has some basic training. I doubt they've taught him fetch or anything like that, considering they just keep him staked up on the front porch or out in the back.
>>
>>2014827
He's probably just frustrated that he can't actually get out to play with you. My neighbours dog and my own whine at each other through the fence sometimes.
>>
>>2012441
Literally any, except huskys and Aussie shepherds really. If you don't mind about breed I suggest rehoming a young mix up.
>>
>>2012809
Look at it... Now look at your question... Now look back at that fcked up little dog...
>>
>>2012837
You have about five seconds to punish/reward a dog after the behaviour. Comin home after leaving it all day and beatif it for barking might make you think you're doing good, but you're just a cunt in that dogs eyes. It has no idea what it's being beaten for. To sort out behaviours of when you're not there you just need to discipline yourself and practice everyday for ever increasing periods of time.
>>
>>2013410
I have a collie, it's mental tryna tire them out, you had to be on it, or you can jus initiate endless play mode
>>
>>2012837
Teach him you always come back.
Go out, come back right away, go out, come back right away, etc. Until he stops whining, then start going out for a bit longer before coming back in, and eventually, he'll understand you always come back and it's not necessary to stress over your absence.
Helps too if you give him toys like a Kong or some intellectual stimulation stuff.
>>
>>2013875
Working words, you frivolous little yank.
>>
>>2013808
No, America have next to no working dogs. Retrievers for shooting... And ones to lick peanut butter off of testicles
>>
Rather than make a new thread, can anyone weigh in on Boston Terriers?
Like experiences with them and any food concerns.
>>
Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone have experience with dogs having seizures, and more importantly, giving them Keppra?

My dog will be 6 in about a week, he's had seizures nearly all his life, but his absolute worst one happened this morning (it went on for about 8 minutes, as opposed to his normal ones, which only last around 2-3) I took him to the vet and they prescribed him with Keppra.

He seems to be doing alright now, although he's very tired/listless. He hasn't moved from his bed and doesn't even look up at me, that's normal after experiencing a seizure, right?
>>
>>2014868
>no working dogs
>just retrievers

>what are cattle dogs, collies, shepherds, gun dogs

or do you mean working breads that were developed in america?
>australian shepherds, foxhounds, coonhounds, curs, water spaniels, huskies
>>
>>2014906
Why aren't Australian shepherds named American shepherds?
>>
>>2014906
>working breads
working breeds, I mean.

regardless, I haven't really heard of ferreting at all in the US, and 'lurchers' are more of a british thing.
>>
>>2014909
>"It is not clear where the name "Australian" came from, although a theory suggests that they were named for those imported sheep that they herded. It is also possible that many of the dogs coming from Australia were blue merle and the adjective "Australian" became associated with any dogs of that coat color.[7] The Australian Shepherd was initially called by many names, including Spanish Shepherd, Pastor Dog, Bob-Tail, New Mexican Shepherd, California Shepherd, and Austrian Shepherd."
>>
>>2014909
Because the were used to work sheep from Australia.
>>
>>2014914
>>2014916
Well that's just misleading lol learn something new everyday i guess
>>
>>2014918
Same thing with Labrador Retrievers, isn't it?
>>
>>2014817
My sister did it for 6 months and said she enjoyed it.
>>
>>2014919
Wait i don't get it, what's misleading about labs?
>>
>>2014688
>>2014663
This
>>
My dog constantly pulls on her leash; she used to be fine, but my dad started taking her into the woods and let her off the leash while in there. Now I essentially have to retrain her to not choke herself, but she's stubborn as fuck. Advice?
>>
>>2014926
To me, the name implies they are from Labrador, but they are really from Newfoundland.
>>
>>2014960
Trust our parents to always fuck up everything. My dad took my puppy out for a walk the other day even though i told him to fucking wait until he's finished all his vaccinations.
>>
>>2014966
Holy shit why do people take their animals out without vaccines?

A friend of mine recently bought a husky puppy; she got fucking parvo within a week. Thankfully she survived but seriously why.

And yeah, it's really frustrating. In generally she's not bad; she listens when I tell her to sit and "leave it" when we're out on walks, but all notions of "heel" have just gone out the window. It kind of pisses me off because we were training her to be one of those CGC dogs (go to hospitals to sit with kids and old people and stuff) but because of the "heeling" issue that's probably not going to happen.
>>
>>2014968
Simple ignorance and not being educated. I feel for all the puppies that are going out as gifts this christmas and all the shitty uneducated owners they'll be going to.

What made your dad start unleashing your dog anyways? Your best bet would be to never unleash her out in public again (until she gets used to it at least).
>>
>>2014972
His more or less was planned, but he's had her for 2-3 months now and she's still barely puppy-pad-trained. And trust me, I agree with you. There's a reason shelters get full after Christmas.

And he just likes letting her run around the woods; he had a dog growing up and they had 140 acres to let his dog loose; I don't think he intends anything malicious by it, he just doesn't understand that it fucked up her "heel" commands. And yeah, I don't unleash her in public except for in our yard (she understands not to go past certain borders) when someone is out there with her. In general, if she's outside (especially on a walk) she's leashed (unless my dad takes her in the woods)
>>
>>2014711
Yes but no one will adopt an older, untrained dog with bad habits. RIP Fido.

>>2014724
You sounded pretty colon crushed, pal. Probably why no one wants to talk to you. Internet bullying kills

>>2014817
If you have a dog that isn't picky, it has neat stuff. Too much money for a box of stupid shit for me though.

>>2014899
After a rough seizure like that, he may be off his game for a while. The medication may also make them a bit more lethargic as a side effect, but I think it would be too early to tell right now.

>>2014960
Use an easy-walk harness for the time being. Your dog is pulling because she learns that if she pulls in a direction, she gets closer to the direction she is pulling. Esentially, what you have to do is stop and wait for slack on the lead, or turn around and walk in the opposite direction whenever she pulls. This way, she is not 'rewarded' to pull by going in the direction she wants to go, but instead she has to cease walking or go a different way when she pulls. This will be frustrating and require a lot of patience, and it may have to start at home, then your back yard, and so on - too much stimulation (new things) can make training nigh impossible.
At least try that, that's usually why I've seen dogs pull in my experience
>>
>>2014979
>hurr muh butthurt
Go shitpost elsewhere
>>
>>2014817
My sister got this for me for my birthday and it's neat I guess, the toys are cute and sometimes follow a theme

If you get it "accidentally" give them the wrong address, just fuck up a single number or something, enough that it's clearly an error but not so far off that it won't still get redirected to you, if you do this and then complain about it you'll get a couple of extra months for your "trouble"
>>
File: wojak trying to keep it together.jpg (977KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
wojak trying to keep it together.jpg
977KB, 2560x1920px
>have a lab puppy
>not even 6 months yet
>already 50+ lbs
>paws are gigantic
>limbs are thick as fuck

S-She's going to stop growing eventually right
>>
>>2014997
>50 lbs at 6 months
That's straight up scary family.
>>
>>2014997
50lbs and she's not obese?

That might not be a lab.
>>
File: pup.jpg (345KB, 1821x829px) Image search: [Google]
pup.jpg
345KB, 1821x829px
>>2015007
She's 6 months in January

>>2015008
She's a purebred lab, and I don't think she's overweight, she gets walked every day and I play with her indoors and in the yard
>>
Is a 40in x 26in (101cm x 66cm) cage large enough for a Border Collie?

>>2015009
oh now that's a cute pupper
i had a chocolate too
>>
is 1/2 cup of kibble, 3 times a day, enough for a 2kg pup? Or should i go less/more? Some meals he looks like he could go more, occasionally he can't finish his meal.
>>
File: weary wojak illuminated.jpg (75KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
weary wojak illuminated.jpg
75KB, 645x773px
>>2015010
>had
>>
File: 1445204157376.jpg (22KB, 340x340px) Image search: [Google]
1445204157376.jpg
22KB, 340x340px
>>2015014
He's alive, I just moved out of the house.
He's 12 now though..
>>
>>2010218
Is there such a thing as spending too much time with your dog? Had border collie pup for couple months now, spent literally every second with her, longest I've been away is a day and a night. No separation anxiety to speak of, two minutes of whining and looking for me when I'm gone apparenlty then back to normal.
>>
>>2015012
google your puppy's estimated calorie requirements and go based on how how many calories are in his kibble.
>>
File: Smart_Dog.jpg (21KB, 210x400px) Image search: [Google]
Smart_Dog.jpg
21KB, 210x400px
>hang a bell on the knob of the backdoor of my house to know if someone is coming in or not.
>old dog rings it with his nose when he needs to go outside for the bathroom
>never purposefully taught him this
>he associated the bell sound with being able to go outside for the bathroom
>never an accident in the house with that bell

>fast-forward a few years
>old dog RIP
>new puppy in house now
>still leave bell on door
>puppy eventually associates the bell with going outside for the bathroom
>she uses her nose to ring bell to go outside
>no more accidents in the house

Anyone have something like this happen to them?
>>
Hey dog lovers!

I've been fantasizing about a dream dog for some time but I'm not sure what breed would be just right for me. Anyone able to think up one with the following qualities all bundled into one adorable package?

-I love the look of huskies & northern dogs but their exercise needs seem a bit excessive for my lifestyle
-best if easy to train and good with kids/family/generally friendly
-medium sized so I could go hiking & jogging & swimming with them
-prefer if not excessive shedders. Willing to dedicate some time to grooming if needed but the less the better.
-would like to be able to cuddle with it and have it on the bed without it getting confused about who is dominant
-be able to live with cats

I know this is a tough bill to foot but if anyone has suggestions would appreciate! Thanks!!
>>
>>2015070
No, but if a bell helps as much as you say it does then fucking hell i'm going out to buy one as soon as I can.

>tfw trying to get dog shit out of the carpet
>>
>>2015071
Golden retriever
>>
>>2015074

There probably was more to it; old dog and puppy would be punished if they made an accident in the house. Old dog would be outside all day in the yard (which he never liked) if he did something bad in the house, and puppy was put in her crate when she made a mess.

They both must have figured doing their business outside means no punishment and freedom to be inside the house, and the bell=door opening and shutting to make the connection.
>>
>>2015084
I thought the crate wasn't supposed to be used as punishment? I'll give that a go then as well as the bell, thanks heaps man
>>
Can I get some advice from /an/?
>~4 years old Labrador Retriever.
>Almost died when he was a puppy and had to be hospitalized for 2 weeks or so.
>He got lost for one night when he was ~2 years old.
>My brother and father miseducated him to be particularly nervous and aggresive, to the point he couldn't socialize with other people or other dogs.
>With time he got more calmed and finally can socialize with people, but whenever he sees another dog he runs aggresively towards it and attacks him.
How can I change this ? I want him to be your regular Labrador, but I don't know why he gets so anxious about the slightsest things, and my family doesn't help at all.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (65KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
65KB, 425x282px
>>2015088

It's a mild one for time-out; I don't leave her in there for very long and she'll willingly still go to sleep in it at night.

It's just to give the point of 'something I did put me here and I don't like it'. She doesn't like her playtime impeded on by having to sit in her crate for peeing on the floor, even if it is for a couple minutes.
>>
File: IMAG0211(1).jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0211(1).jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
Can anyone reccomend an actual durable toy for our dogs? Axl (I didn't name him), the big white one, can destroy just about any toy we've thrown at him.
>>
can a basenji be trained to walk off leash?
>>
>>2015100
I don't think you should. Wasn't it originally a hunting dog?

If it's smart as fuck and has a chill temperament, i'm sure it's doable.
>>
>>2015009
Take a pic of her standing up, Anon, it's easier to see if she's 2fat then. But with a puppy, it's very very unlikely.
>>
>>2015099
The Kong Extreme line, maybe? The black ones.
>>
>>2015099
Holy hell the one on the left is adorable. I'm guessing you've tried Kong toys? Maybe a big bone but take or a way when it's too wet so it won't splinter?
>>
File: IMAG0181.jpg (2MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0181.jpg
2MB, 2688x1520px
>>2015111
He likes bones, but he's apparently chipped his tooth on them before so he's not allowed to have them (again, not my decision).

We have some kong toys, but he's never been too into them.
>>
File: IMAG0146.jpg (833KB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0146.jpg
833KB, 2688x1520px
Also, just posting one more cute pic.
>>
>>2015112
Try antlers! They don't splinter and are safe for dogs, and my dogs absolutely love them.

Depending on what kind/cut you get, they can be softer and easier to chew or can last them quite a long time.

I get mine in bulk from this website for a good price: https://www.elkusa.com/antler-chew.html

You can get different sizes and antlers from different types of deer/moose (some are softer, some are harder.) You can also get ones that are sliced in half so they have exposed antlers which also lets them go through them quicker (but it's nicer for older dogs with sensitive teeth)
>>
>>2015115
exposed marrow*
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikYEftuuA3c

Does anyone else think working dogs are the coolest motherfuckers on this planet.
>>
>>2015112
Have you tried putting bits of bone (glued in with cheese or whatever) inside the kongs?
>>
>>2015071
I was going to say greyhound, till I saw the cat bit.

Good luck though.
>>
>>2014906
They have he breeds but not te work
>>
>>2014968
Everything is reversible, just grab your nuts and decide not to be a lazy cunt and get the training back on track. You sound like you've just given up and will put up with pulling for the rest of it's life
>>
>>2015117
Absolutely! Border collies in particular, do you know the gene people have been selectively breeding into them is the same gene that developes our brains cognitive function, I saw it on a Neil degrasse dog program where a collie had memorised hundreds of you names.
Seeing a well trained Collie work sheep is like poetry, and the malinois doing takedowns! Coolest shit ever
>>
>>2015071
almost all of your wants are conflicting but this
>would like to be able to cuddle with it and have it on the bed without it getting confused about who is dominant

is just plain stupid.

huskies/northern dogs have really high prey drive, high grooming needs, and high exercise needs, so those are out.

anything with a high prey drive is out, so no herding dogs or sighthounds.

sounds like you'd like a labrador.
>>
>>2015093
>She doesn't like her playtime impeded on by having to sit in her crate for peeing on the floor, even if it is for a couple minutes.
she doesn't associate "peeing indoors" with having a time out, now she associates "peeing" with having a time out. enjoy now having your dog hiding and peeing instead.
>>
>>2015197
Not him, but all reputable trainers say to discourage accidents indoors (either with a stern "no" or timeout) whilst praising going potty outdoors. That's how my dog was trained, i'm pretty sure they're smart enough to differentiate. What the fuck makes you think you're an expert?
>>
>>2015198
He probably works in a shelter. Almost everyone that works in a shelter on this board are a bunch of snarky know it all cunts.
>>
>>2015090
You'd need a behaviorist. I'm not even going to attempt to give you advice without seeing the behavior because it could put a dog's well-being at risk, and it's a lot harder to try to explain what to do in words vs just showing you what to do.

>>2015198
That's funny, because all the reputable trainers I know say to take the dog outdoors if caught peeing/pooping indoors, and to praise them if they continue to pee/poop outside. And they advise against punishing for accidents indoors because they may learn to associate going to the bathroom when you're around as a bad thing, which makes house training extremely difficult.
>>
>>2015200
Most anons that claim they work at a shelter on this board seem pretty nice to be quite honest family. I haven't seen one yet call somebody a cunt or faggot, which is more than I'd expect from the average 4chan user.

Unless you're assuming everyone who disagrees with you is working at an animal shelter
>>
>>2015215
The easiest way to spot them is by their condescending attitude and smugness, especially in response to anons that are genuinely seeking help, or not being aggressive at all.

>Enjoy now having your dog hiding and peeing instead
>Enjoy your BYB
>Enjoy your shitty dog with genetic defects
>Enjoy your dog with behaviour issues

Like for real, just help anons out, no need to add the cuntish comments at the end of every post. At least your average 4chan user will be a cunt straight up to your face, these niggers however will do it slyly and subtly.
>>
>>2015217
So you're completely assuming these people work at an animal shelter.
>>
>>2015220
Nope, i've had a few explicitly say they worked at a shelter and/or is a breeder.
>>
>>2014961
Labrador is part of Newfoundland m8
>>
>>2015221
A few. That doesn't mean most shelter workers/breeders said that or most anons that say that is a shelter worker/breeder. It means a few have.

You should make less assumptions and take things at face value sometimes, anon.
>>
Bumpin this shitty thread to limit
>>
>>2015264
Time to make a new one!
>>
>>2015250
That's not the point, the point is they become easily detectable after a while. Don't know why you're so desperately trying to defend them, you must be one of them.
>>
>Discussing training methods
Guys, seriously?
Read just one trainer's, odds are he'll contradict himself if you read long enough.
Read from two, and you've got three different conflicting ways to do everything and nothing with your dog.
>>
>>2015399
It's not even about training methods. It's about the "pussification" of humankind where people are too scared, or have been lead to believe disciplining or telling your children and your dogs "no" for undesirable behaviour is a bad thing. It's literally common sense.
>>
>>2015591
For you, maybe. If you can get the same results without hitting your dog why wouldn't you?
>>
>>2015596
What the fuck, where in my post did i say I hit my dog? If you even bothered to look up, what was being argued was whether it was okay to say "no" or put your pup in timeout for having an accident inside. Good lordy.
>>
>>2015591
>"pussification" of humankind where people are too scared, or have been lead to believe disciplining
Sorry, I've heard too many people who talk about discipline, and just use it as a nicer word for hitting their dog
>>
>>2015611
>Implying the only form of discipline is hitting
See >>2015610
>>
I have an Australian shepherd/blue heeler who has 2 strange behaviors IMO.
1. She doesn't have any interest in tug toys. She will play fetch and return the ball to about 5 feet away, toss it up, and bat it at you with pretty decent accuracy.
2. We got her a squeaky ball with a tail... it resembles a skunk. Anyhow. For her the toy and she played with it for 10 minutes then stopped and didn't touch it for 2 months.
I came home from work one day and she had taken said toy to her bed and cuddled up around it. Thought she wanted to play so I grabbed it, threw it, and she whined, chased after it, very gently picked it up by the "nape" and returned it to her bed where she began crying .
Like... idk what to make of it other than she thinks it's dead. But then why the 2 month break?-
>>
>watching pet tutorial vids
>"If they do X then you are going to want to discipline them" or "teach them not to do that"
>wait to see an example of how to discipline them
>moves on to the next point

Can someone tell me how to discipline a dog for doing something they shouldn't?
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 46

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.