[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wasps and Stuff

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 05F Red Wasp.jpg (322KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
05F Red Wasp.jpg
322KB, 1280x960px
Alright /an/ I'm not here to stay (hail from /k/) but is there a certain time you can keep wasps frozen with-out killing them? I need to know because I have a couple of undesirable nests and I don't want to let the little red fuckers go to waste. Is freezing the entire nest the best way of passivized them for long periods (at most 4 days) or is there a better way that will keep them alive and passivized for longer?
>>
>>2009002
Jesus Christ you can't even lose the trip cross boarding. You're the worse kind of scum. Kill yourself or go inject yourself with cazador venom.
>>
>>2009010
Or you could stop from shitting up another thread. I'm asking a legit question for once so cool your tits. Or would you rather me take this to /k/...?
>>
>>2009020
>shitting up am the thread
You did that by tripping.
Contain it to /k/ you limp wristed wasp freezing faggot
>>
You could potentially freeze them into being slow and unable to fly but I don't see a way to keep them frozen without killing them for days. You could keep freezing them but I think it would eventually kill them
>>
1 day, much less than 4 days - would kill them.

Insects that recover from the freezer either are already naturally adapted to survive low temperatures by producing a sort of cryoprotectant(think antifreeze) to prevent/minimize freeze damage to their body fluids or they weren't frozen solid to begin with.
>>
>>2009044
Alright so if I were to bag a nest I would only have a max of 1 day until they died? Would anything bad happen if I put multiple different wasp nests in close proximity to each other? I plan on gathering at least 5 nests ranging from 2" wide to 5" wide.
>>
>>2009025
Please keep your /k/ autism on /k/, I'm trying to learn things from /an/. It's you that's shitting up an /an/ thread.
>>
>>2009071
I wouldn't even say 24 hours max, even less. I think after an hour, MAYBE two at most is incredibly risky depending how thick/insulating the nest is. But it's probably moot because most of them will not stay inside it for warmth. They aren't honeybees. Pretty much all their colonies die off in the winter with the exception of queens, who live on to continue new colonies. Queens hide away while everyone else dies off from starvation or exposure.

I suppose you can just cool them down significantly somehow without freezing them, though. But you'd have to put more effort into it, even if it's just a cooler on ice. I don't know how long you can keep them in their 'stupor' though, or if they will have enough energy to recover from it depending how long it's been.

>Would anything bad happen if I put multiple different wasp nests in close proximity to each other?
At best they will ignore each other because they're confused and freaking the fuck out about what the fuck is going on, at worst they will kill/cannibalize each other. Different colonies don't merge.
>>
>>2009086
So I have to move fast then. Alright. Are there any other ways of making them passive for any amount of time like smoke or pine? I need to keep them alive but I also don't want to be keeping a bagful of angry red wasps near me for long periods of time either. Also what's the best way of containing an entire wasp nest with minimal harm? I don't want to put it in a ziplock back because then no air and barely any room for the wasps to move around.
>>
>>2009099
Smoke will probably just piss them off and suffocate the queens because the queens will likely stay inside the nests, and the rest will swarm.

Don't do any of this in the day, by the way. At night they will be more passive, all inside the nest, and will be slower. As for how to move it, google it. There is plenty of 'humane' wasp/bee removal stuff around, but I've never done it because I just fucking destroy wasp nests.

As for containing it, again, you should google it. A very quick search brought up this, interestingly enough, but I can't tell you how reliable it is. You may want to google around 'paper wasps as pets' and such. Whatever you find will probably be safer(for the wasps) than freezing or fucking with their temperature resistance in general.
https://livingwithinsects.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/wasps-as-pets/

Now, since I probably have no further valuable information for you and anything beyond what I've already said is out of my hands unless I take the time to do all the googling for you(i won't): Why are you doing this?
>>
>>2009106
I'm doing this to partial conquer my fear of wasps and to just keep them handy. But thanks a million for the information you've shared already.
>>
File: gold.jpg (91KB, 800x518px) Image search: [Google]
gold.jpg
91KB, 800x518px
>>2009108
>keep them handy
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.