[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it okay to hold a dog or cat by the scruff? Will a dog correct

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: dog.gif (22KB, 298x398px) Image search: [Google]
dog.gif
22KB, 298x398px
Is it okay to hold a dog or cat by the scruff?

Will a dog correct their bad behavior better or see you as the pack leader if you hold it by the scruff as a form of punishment ?
>>
Hold yes, carry no.

Dogs don't have the bullshit "pack" mentality. It was bred out of them centuries ago. Train your dog properly.
>>
>>2004068

No.

And it hurts like hell as well.

Mothers use it to carry babies, but not adults. You'll just piss off the dog.

Correct bad behaviour by positively reinforcing good behaviour. It's a dog, it has no idea what it's doing.
>>
Cats dont have the elastic skin in the scruff as adults that they do as kittens, and they weigh a hell of a lot more. trying to lift by the scruff is a good way to harm your cat
>>
>>2004125
Sounds like you're the dick.
>>
>>2004068
My cat was seriously injured a big ass pallet fell on top him and the vet carried my cat like the image. Never understood that maybe he did it so the cat would not attack him.
>>
Couple years ago before new year there would be fireworks couple weeks prior and couldnt walk the dog (golden retriever)

Only way i could get her with me and stop her laydead or running sporadicly

Dont see when else you would she was really crazy at that time
>>
>>2004137

and probably a pussy once the cards are down
>>
>>2004176
if working with animals has taught me one thing over the years, it's that people like you make shitty owners. enjoy making your pet's behavior worse

it's a thing that should only be done when absolutely nessecary with cats. usually with injured cats and that's the only way you can move them without getting injured yourself. and absolutely not with dogs, risk of injuring them or teaching them bite by doing it is too high
>>
>>2004176

>look at mr tough guy

I don't "take shit" from my pets either because they're actually trained you incompetent fuck.

>I'm a vindictive ass, but not a dick.

You're also not very good at English. Someone who is incredibly vindictive would easily be classified as being a dick.
>>
>>2004068
Puppies and kittens for short periods, never adult dogs. I still pick my cat up by the scruff on occasion, but its only for a few seconds and usually when he's jumped up on the table (where he isn't allowed)

If you're going to hold an adult cat by the scruff for more than a few seconds, put your arm under their feet to support their weight, and simply don't pick a fat cat up by the scruff.
>>
>>2004068
I have always grab my cat like that and he has never ever complained or shown any sign of pain
>>
>>2004608

Sometimes animals don't move at all when in shock. Kind of like how some babies go into shock during circumcision. All because they don't move or make noises, it doesn't mean it doesn't discomfort them.
>>
I can tell you right now that "Caesar Millan's" version of discipline doesn't work. It opresses your dog.
I've seen the "pack" at work when I worked as a daycare attendant in a dog facility. Grabbing by the scruff and biting was seen as dominance but it is the same thing as spanking your kid.
Fear works, but not as well as respect. Grabbing the scruff for a dog makes them see you as the dominant one. Either they will submit (like a child submitting to a parent who is known to hit) or they will challenge you, and there will be a fight.
Grabbing a cat by the scruff forces them to calm down but not appropriately. It's more like when someone is shouting at you to STAY CALM OR ELSE. The cat will still be scared/angry/fearful what have you, but they won't be moving as much sonce the scruff is an area that mothers use to grab the kittens to move them. It's in the same sense that a human baby is "lulled" to sleep by a mobil. The baby isn't calm, it's just evolution saying that the mobil is an eagle so if they want to live, they better shutup.
Same shit.

TL;DR Positive reinforcement is best, but the scruff is the safest place to grab when your cat/dog is in a fight (wouldn't recommend grabbing them anyway but..)
>>
>>2004068
Don't hold the cat in the air by the scruff.
It is not safe and likely painful. It can be done as kittens but it isn't recommended.
You can grab them, but lifting them that way is stupid and shouldn't be done under normal circumstances.

Don't do it with dogs.
>>
>>2005170
>The baby isn't calm, it's just evolution saying that the mobil is an eagle so if they want to live, they better shutup

is this true?
>>
>>2004135
>Never understood that maybe he did it so the cat would not attack him.
Yeah it's a good way to subdue feral cats
mine had a tendency to claw at my computer wires and turn the computer off so I always grabbed him by the scruff (never lifted him completely off the ground to avoid hurting him)
haven't done it in quite a few months mainly because he got the message to knock it off and he weighs a lot more now
>>
Grabbing a cat by the scruff is fine - it's just loose skin. At most I may use it to lift the front end of ornery cats off the ground to reposition them.

It is never acceptable to lift a cat off the ground by the scruff. Even if one was going batshit insane trying to murder me I'd still use a hand to support its ass.
>>
>>2005170

>Scruff is the safest place to grab when your cat/dog is in a fight.

Wait, so you don't actually use the wheelbarrow method?

You grab the dog from his hind legs and lift him up like grabbing a wheelbarrow, then turn him around to stop facing the other dog, it takes two people to do it for both dogs, but that position does not allow a dog to bite you.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.