[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question: What would you do? My 2 year old pitty was staying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: Fat Black Cats_7.jpg (156KB, 900x799px) Image search: [Google]
Fat Black Cats_7.jpg
156KB, 900x799px
Question: What would you do?

My 2 year old pitty was staying at my mom's house. While she was leaving the bedroom, he pushed past her and grabbed a hold of my 18 year old cat. He killed her instantly. My poor mother had to watch her cat be killed. and she had to clean it up afterwards.

So, now we have this dog and don't know what to do with him.
I have found a trainer so hopefully he can learn some damn manners & have a little more self control.

Have you every had experience with a strong prey-drive in your animals? Did any specific training help?

I'm feeling sad and confused. HELP!
>>
What are we going to be able to tell you that a trainer can't? You have a dog from a known aggressive breed kill your mother's cat, I imagine most people would get rid of the damn thing.
>>
>>2003918
Get rid of it, too many negative emotions now. You and your mom will resent him forever. Never get a pit bull again.
>>
>>2003927
>>2003921
Giving the dog to someone else is not fixing anything, it's just handing off a problem dog to someone else. Don't make the dog someone else's problem.
>>
>>2003936
>Don't make the dog someone else's problem.
Ok then kill it. That's what I meant anyway. There's plenty of pits out there, this isn't a special snowflake that needs to stay alive for any reason, OP might as well take it to the shelter, pretend it won't get euthanized and was adopted out to a nice loving catless home. The end.

>Welcome to 4chan where people have opinions.
>>
>>2003939
>Ok then kill it. That's what I meant anyway.
Same.

OP, you have a dangerous dog, if it goes to a shelter then it'll rot there or get put down like all the other aggressive dogs those places have. No one else is going to take the problem off your hands - either it's your problem that you fix by training the thing not to tear up other people's pets or you make it nobody's problem and put it down.
>>
1) Never put the dog in a scenario where he can accidentally hurt another pet again

B) Euthenize him
>>
You guys who say euthanize must have never had a dog before.
I'm not giving him away.
I'm training him which i should have done in the first place.
>>
I strongly feel like this is bait, honestly
>>
>>2004404
The fuck do you want from us then?
>>
>>2003939
uh, I work at a shelter and a dog killing a cat isn't nearly enough to have them euthanized here. usually they have to have committed an at least level 4 bite on a person to even be considered an option, or a REPEATED history of killing other animals. but even then, usually it won't actually happen unless the dog massacres a fucking colony of cats. dogs with a history like that can and are adopted to no cat homes. it's people aggression that's the huge deal breaker.
>>
>>2004434
It's not a stretch to assume a pit that flips and kills an elderly cat would likely attack a human at some point.
>>
>>2004447
not really. prey drive driven instances and aggression towards people are two wildly different things. hence why 9/10, dogs who kill cats aren't labeled dangerous dogs or PDDs
>>
>>2004447
Not to mention that yeah it's just an elderly cat, but OP's mom probably thinks that dog is a monster for killing its precious baby. :(

OP's mom is the real victim here.

>>2004404
>You guys who say euthanize must have never had a dog before.
Yeah, /an/ is just a bunch of pet-less neets that like to post pictures of their imaginary dogs and baw threads.
If you wanna go through the trouble of picking up the pieces then by all means go for it, but don't project your feels onto other peeps when this is clearly your fault & since you didn't train your pit in the first place and now that you have a dead cat and a problem you wanna do something about it.
>I'm not giving him away.
Ok.
>I'm training him which i should have done in the first place.
You're an idiot, pls go.
>>
>>2004531
Thank you for your opinion.
>>
>>2004531
Because I knew when we got him that this would happen?
75% of people would have given up on him.
>>
>>2003918
>leave a pit alone with an old,defenseless cat
>what a surprise!
Did you think that all those babies killed were just an hoax or something
>>
>>2004549
Did we leave him alone with it? No.
Your reading comprehension is very poor, my friend.
>>
>>2004546
>Because I knew when we got him that this would happen?
You clearly didn't since you didn't train it and you left it alone with a cat.
>>
>>2004551
I DIDNT LEAVE IT ALONE WITH THE DAMN CAT. He pushed past my mother & attacked the cat. He was closed in a totally different room.
I bet your parents didn't expect you'd cause so much trouble with the damn computer they bought you.
>>
>>2003921
I highly doubt 'pit bull' here is referring to APBT. Pit bull refers to roughly 60 dog breeds, which includes labs and boxers, and all of their mixes.

Unfortunately when it comes to mutts, you don't know what you're getting. It's obvious that the dog has a high prey drive, which does not mean he will kill or attack people. Many dogs have prey drives, like huskies and beagles. Does not mean they are bad dogs, but they shouldn't be left in a position where they could hurt or kill 'prey'.

Prey drive is hard to train out; you'll need to modify behavior. It's not like a simple command you can teach. You will need to be persistent and very patient, and I would still never recommend leaving your dog alone with a cat. I would suggest calling a dog behaviorist to help, because I think people can easily fuck up or not quite understand what they are doing when reading books and watching videos. But hopefully this will help for know - remember google is your friend
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMl8H-PqDyI
>>
>>2004560
Thank you!
>>
File: jUng4CJ.png (145KB, 500x361px) Image search: [Google]
jUng4CJ.png
145KB, 500x361px
>>2004560

>which includes labs
>>
>>2004554
That's even worse, honestly.
>dog steals sandwich from counter when you leave the room
>dog knocks you out of the way to steal the sandwich as you're making it
Both sandwiches get eaten and both dogs are bad but the first dog at least respects you enough not to do it when you're right fucking there.
>>
poor cat
>>
>>2003918
Kill it. All pits should be put down.
>>
>>2003918

OP you are the reason that pitbulls have such a bad rep.

Fucking moron.
>>
>>2003918
>not training your dog
>not training a vicious killing breed
>owning a vicious killing breed
>>
>>2003918

>dog with prey drive
>cat
>in the same house

Who thought this was a good idea? Dogs can smell better than you can see. It knows there was a cat in there.
>>
Adding to the resounding logical choir of putting that naturally bred killer down.

Training it is a waste of money, it won't change.
>>
>>2004404
I have two dogs anon, and I know for a fact that one of them WOULD kill both my cats without hesitating. I also know that if he killed either of them, he would be being euthanized. I adore him, but this is not a question.

A dog with a prey drive that high is a liability and it is a liability that I live with and manage every day, but it is not a liability that I would blithely hand off to someone else. I also know that a dog that kills a domestic pet in my country is usually enough to be euth'd by law. Because he hasn't done it yet, he hasn't been, but I manage him extremely carefully, and there are always two doors and a gate between him and the cats so there can be absolutely no mistakes.

You either need to be extremely careful with the dog and keep it muzzled at all times out of the house (where there will be small animals that WILL trigger prey drive) and muzzled in the house if there are small animals that might be vulnerable to the dog, or if you don't want to deal with the liability that is your pet, you need to have that dog euth'd.

>>2003939
I would agree. People are too inclined to keep things alive just because they think they are special but this is not the case. All things die eventually anyway, and it is in everyone's best interests to put a liability dog down if you are incapable of managing it. They don't find new homes -- there aren't magic farms that will take in your badly behaved, dangerous pet to live out the rest of its days in peace. That is a fiction -- it will spend the rest of its miserable life in a cage, so put it down.
>>
File: 1442183147024.jpg (86KB, 356x374px) Image search: [Google]
1442183147024.jpg
86KB, 356x374px
>letting a large untrained dog notorious for its high prey drive, aggressive tendencies, and strength stay in the same house as fragile, elderly small animal

You and your mother both brought this on yourselves.
>>
File: 1419861776114.jpg (20KB, 412x352px) Image search: [Google]
1419861776114.jpg
20KB, 412x352px
>training the prey drive out of an adult pit bull
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.