[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uh

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Guys, I think I managed to accidentally kill my betta.
So the poor bastard was originally a zoology lab test subject. We used him to study his reaction to various stressors (look, if you stick a mirror next to him, he gets really pissed!), and at the end of the lab the TA asked if anyone wanted to take one of them home. So I took him, fed him when I got home, then the next day got a tank and stuff and prepared it for him.
Problem is, I've never owned a betta before, so I took him straight from the little cup he was in straight to the warm water. It's been a few hours, and so far, he hasn't moved, doesn't respond to taps, and doesn't move when I get him out of the water. I think he finally kicked the bucket, just as he got a new home. He was moving when I put him in the new tank, so I think I just managed to finally shock him so badly he just said "fuck it."
I'm going to leave him there overnight, and hopefully when I wake up, he'll just be all "dude I was asleep thanks for the new home" but I have a feeling he's gone to the giant Mekong Basin in the sky. If so, at least he died freeish, with the right and proper flushing down the toilet for his final send-off.
RIP little buddy. I named him Wang Chung. I'll miss him and the two whole days we had together.
>>
>>2002226
nice job.
you could try again but with water conditioner and the right temperature of water and maybe a cycled aquarium if you like.

read up, you'll do better next time!
>>
>>2002227
I had conditioned and warmed up the water, but I didn't warm his cup water up, so I think the shock of the temperature change finally did him in.
I hadn't figure on him lasting terribly long anyway.
>>
>>2002228
depends how warm the water was I suppose. They can handle small temperature changes, and the water shouldn't feel warm to your hand. The right temp feels neutral or a bit cold to most people.

but you might as well give it another try since you got him a tank and whatnot. They don't cost much, and they can live a few years usually.
>>
>>2002230
Yeah, Petco will apparently have their freshwater fish for half off for Black Friday, so I'll grab another one, and not screw up this time. They're cool fish, and I like that they're pretty damn easy to take care of. Maybe I'll grab a plant for him too.
>>
>>2002226
How to NOT kill a betta

> Get at least a 5 gallon tank with filtration. Do you want to live in a closet with no air vent? He doesn't want to be in a cup.
> Cycle the tank. This takes at least 2-3 Weeks
> Test the water every couple day until it's good to do
> Add a heater and a thermometer. They're cheap and important in Winter.
> Tape the beta's cup shut with duct tape (no top holes open)
> Float the cup for 20 minutes
> Carefully take off the lid and pour off as much cup water as possible. Pour through a net in case he gets any crazy ideas.
> Put the cup into the water and he'll swim out.

Fish is now likely to live.

Enjoy.
>>
>>2002235
Actually, looking at my rental policy, I just realized they don't even allow fish without a 200 dollar pet deposit. So yeah, fuck it. I'll just go get a plant or something.
Fucking apartments...
>>
File: water-hyacinth.jpg (149KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
water-hyacinth.jpg
149KB, 768x1024px
>>2002241
That sucks. On the bright side a betta cup is perfect for planting a Water Hyacinth. Nice little aquatic flowers for your home.
>>
>>2002235
Cycling isn't necessary if you use seachem stability properly. Done this twice in large tanks and no fish have died, and the tank is fully cycled now. Didn't need to wait for so long.
>>
>>2002268
disinformation.
stability isn't a replacement for cycling, it's intended to speed the cycle by culturing bacteria.

it works, it speeds it up by about two days in a 1.5 month long cycle.

your fish didn't die because fish usually don't die when you cycle a tank with them in it. You just didn't realize you were cycling the tank because you can't read and you're not very smart.
>>
>>2002274
Whatever old geezer.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.