[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sleeping with dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20151117_155416.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151117_155416.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
This is my new puppy: Zaku.
He is 9 weeks old and he begs to sleep with me every night. Let me describe the situation a little more: I have wooden floor in my bedroom, so until Zaku is fully potty trained he can't access my room.
Right now I'm sleeping in the living room, on the sofa, because I want to keep an eye on him, in order to prevent potty accidents. He bags to sleep with me every night, and right now I'm ok with that, because the sofa is ok. The problem is that in the future I don't want him to sleep in my bed, and I don't want to get him used to sleep with me.

I tried to put him in the crate but he came out during night. I tried to lock the crate, but he cried for 30 minutes straight and ended up being crate-traumatized, now he don't even get close to it.

In the future the he will sleep on his own bed, so the whole crate thing is just to get him used not to sleep with daddy.
What should I do?
>>
Stop giving into his demands, even if its sleeping on the sofa with you. You're training him to get what he wants and by coddling him 24/7 he will develop separation anxiety which will be a huge pain.
>>
>>2001892

>I have wooden floor in my bedroom, so until Zaku is fully potty trained he can't access my room.

What? That makes no sense.
>>
>>2001897
>>2001900
No need to insult me, but message received: saying things like "crate-traumatized" is beta.

>>2001910
Got it: I will lock him in the crate and he will deal with it.

>>2001911
Yes, is my first dog. I'm confident in my abilities to learn, even thou I know it will not be easy.

>>2001914
Wooden floor is hard to clean and it gets ruined if I use chemicals.

Thank you all for you advice.
>>
>>2001923
Speaking of socializing: I signed up to a puppy class, for next week, I hope is not too late.

When we go out in the city he looks very scared, but we still haven't met any other dog. Should I keep him in my arms when introducing him the first times, or is it ok if I keep it at leash?

Also, when he starts whining during night, should I give him pee breaks, or is it too "beta"?
I mean: can his bladder even last 7 hours during night?
>>
>>2001928
Please be more specific.

>>2001929
I like on the third floor.
>>
>>2001932
I meant "live", not "like".
>>
File: !.png (3KB, 107x106px) Image search: [Google]
!.png
3KB, 107x106px
>>2001892

Look at him with mean eyes and say no, you're a dog. It always worked for me.
>>
>>2001934
I read that litter boxes give the dog a confused message about where is ok to go potty.
What's your opinion about it?
Will it be hard to teach him not to go potty when I will get rid of the litter box?
>>
>>2001939
not who youre replying to,

but an actual litter box might be too small for a dog. what you really want is a designated spot where its okay for the dog to piss and defecate.

then enforce the behavior that its OK to do its business either outside, or at that area.
>>
I am betting Zaku will end up in a shelter because of the bad behaviors OP has instilled in him.
>>
>>2001945
>>2001952
I think you are making those assumptions because this is my first dog, and I don't have any much knowledge about how to raise him. You read my naive and ignorant questions and you assume that I'm retarded and not capable of taking care of my dog.

He's been living with me for 4 days, I can still fix unwanted behaviors, I'm open to all kind of suggestion from /an/ and other sites, I hired a dog behaviorist starting next week and a puppy class as well. What else can I do?
>>
>>2001966
OP, this is 4chan.

People are going to try to make to feel as terrible as possible.
>>
>>2001966
Anyone who gets a puppy without doing any research IS a retard.
>>
>>2001976
But I did research and I'm doing research right now.
>>
>>2001977

Have you called him a dog yet?
>>
>>2001977
Bullshit. You are asking very basic questions. Questions that would be answered by a quick Google search.
And you are asking /an/ for answers.
>>
>>2001981
You mean like what >>2001937 said?

No offence, but sounds like a sub conscious trick for getting the right mindset. But I got the point: I will not treat him like a human, and I will be as much severe as possible (but not violent) to get my decisions respected.

>>2001982
These questions are things that I realized now that I actually have the puppy, so I'm doing my research right now.
If I search for anything on google, the first results are almost always clickbait sites and yahoo answares.
I think 4chan is a good starting point to gather different opinions about anything, because of it's mixed userbase and anonymity, and then expand my research based on what I've learned.
>>
>>2001943
>>2001934
This can confuse the dog. Use this at your own risk. a puppy that young needs to get taking out to pee constantly. It will gett better as he gets old. If hes not peeing when you bring him down in the middle of the night it means he's started doing it for attention and just stop.
>>
Sigh. OP, people on 4chan can be pretty rude/mean, but it is very apparent that you did not do enough research about raising a puppy before getting one. Basic knowledge on caring for, raising, and training a puppy should be something you already know before you get the dog. A quick google search about puppies doesn't count as sufficient research. That's why people are mad, because you're asking these questions AFTER you got your puppy instead of BEFORE (so you'd have things figured out when you get the dog.)

Anyways, I will try to help you and give you some advice here.

>>2001926
>Should I keep him in my arms when introducing him the first times
Do not do this. In order for your puppy to learn how to meet and interact with other dogs, you need to let him greet them in a natural way. You holding him during greetings is awkward for both dogs and can cause all sorts of doggie misunderstandings, since they rely a lot on body language. He needs to learn to read these things (and express them, too.) You holding him prevents him from using natural dog body language to greet other dogs in a polite/acceptable manner, and it also may make your dog more anxious because you're restraining him in a way, thus he might feel threatened because he can't "get away" from the other dog if he feels like he needs to. On the flip side, the other dog won't be able to get a normal read on your puppy's body language, and you bringing a puppy to them in your arms may give them some odd perceptions on what is going on (is this dog a threat, etc.?)

Search about dog body language (a good term to look into is "calming signals") and read about it a lot, watch videos of dogs interacting (slow motion videos with explanations are really helpful.) This stuff is important to know and will help you understand your dog a lot better.
>>
(continued from >>2002317)

>>2001926
>Also, when he starts whining during night, should I give him pee breaks
No. You should absolutely take him out for pee breaks at regular intervals at night (he's young and can't hold it that long--probably 3 hours or so) but this should be done on a time schedule, NOT when he is whining. If you use his whining as cue to take him out, he will learn that whining will get you to let him out/give him attention. This is setting him up for bad behavior throughout his life because you are essentially teaching him that he can get what he wants if he just makes enough of a ruckus. Same thing for letting him out of the crate when he's crying, or letting him up in bed with you when he's badgering you--don't. If you want to allow him in bed with you, that's fine, but train him that you do it on your terms, not his. Only upon your invitation, and only when he's behaving politely.

Read more about crate training, how to get him to enjoy being in his crate, the "dos and don'ts" (for example, DON'T let him out or give him attention when he's whining/crying/begging to come out of the crate!) etc.

As for litter boxes/puppy pads, in my opinion you should not use them. They can confuse the dog, and are also kind of pointless/gross in my opinion. Don't be lazy--just take your dog outside when he needs to go. Right now he is a pup and needs to go out more frequently, but he will be able to hold it longer as he grows up. Taking him out regularly and praising him heavily for going to the bathroom outside will get him potty trained. Remember that if he has an accident indoors, it's your fault for not taking him out on time, not his fault. When you do take him out, be sure to play with him only AFTER he's gone, or else he will stall/fuck around because he wants to play, instead of going to the bathroom. Playing AFTER he goes not only rewards him for going potty outside, but also teaches him that if he wants to play, he needs to do his business first.
>>
>>2002317
>>2002322
Thank you very much for all your advice, it's super useful.
I did research as much as I can before getting the puppy, but some situations come up only when your are experiencing the life with your dog.
For example, about crate training, all the guides I found on the internet suggest to use either toys or food treats to ease their getting used to stay in the crate. But my dog won't play with toys unless he is already in the playing mood. And even when playing, he will quickly ditch any toy, because he rather play with me. I tried with ropes, bones, squeaky balls, but he seems to lose interest after few seconds with every toy.
Also, I can't find any food treat that he likes, I tried different ingredients, but no way. He will only eat his regular dry food for dogs, during his food brakes.
I still haven't figured out how to properly "bribe" him.

Anyway, last night (after writing this thread) he slept in his locked crate, whining less than the last time.

I have one general question:
is it better to risk to get him traumatized about something, or risk to be too much of a push over?
e.g. When we walk on leash, after few minutes he starts crying and looks visibly frighten.
Is it better to take him back home, and avoid to associate walks with bad feelings? Or is it better to keep walking even if he is scared, because he should learn to respect my authority?
This is just an example, but I would like to know your opinion on the general matter.

Again, thanks a lot far all your help. I appreciate it.
>>
>>2001928
>>2001929
not sure if thiis is just one person making douchey comments rapid fire, or if you're all assholes. for a bunch of men, you all sure have a really fucking passive aggressive attitude, shit. it's a dog, not fucking rocket science
>>
>>2002355
use very small chopped up pieces of hotdog as treats. the size of your pinky nail

and at only 9 weeks old you shouldn't be taking him on normal walks down the street. first train him inside that his leash and harness (because yes, you should be using a harness) is a good thing, then reward him for calm behavior when having it put on, then let him get used to walking around the house with it on. with puppies how you introduce things to him is key. and you really shouldn't be letting him on the ground outside of his potty area until he's had his second round of vaccines anyway, especially if there's a high risk of parvo in your area.

and traumatizing your dog won't make him "learn to respect your authority", dogs don't work like that. you really need to google how to socialize a puppy to situations before posting here. you say you researched, but the nature of your posts heavily conflicts that
>>
>>2002355
If he likes his dry food, then use that for treats for training. That's a great idea. You can still look for other things he likes, but there's nothing wrong with using kibble as treats.

Also, if he's not too interested in toys, try chews like nylabones or antlers (my dogs love antlers.) Or stuffed kongs--see if he'll take interest in a kong stuffed with yogurt/peanut butter and kibble and frozen. If so, great--this can keep him occupied for a long while.

Also, for your other question, this: >>2002373

I'm gonna be honest OP, it really doesn't sound like you did enough thorough research on dogs/puppies because you seem to lack understanding of the very basic concepts of raising/training dogs and how they work. It's good that you're trying to learn now, though!

Also, something to keep in mind: Yes, you should absolutely NOT force your dog into frightening and overly stressful situations. Instead you need to introduce things to him gradually, building up positive associations. If he's having trouble, distract him, redirect his attention and take a step back to where he's comfortable, and continue working gradually from there. You want to set him up for success. This is how you properly socialize him. Note that this is NOT the same thing as giving in to his begging/crying/whining behaviors (for instance if he whines/paws at you to beg for food, or is crying to get out of his crate--these things are not him being "traumatized" they are him testing boundaries to learn what works and what doesn't work to get him what he wants.) Forcing him into scary situations has nothing to do with him "respecting your authority." You get him to respect your authority and obey you by training him and teaching him what behaviors are good to choose, and motivating him to WANT to listen to you. It's not a matter of forcing your will upon the dog.
>>
>>2001892

>9 weeks

the dog is fucked. enjoy your pissy ill mannered no discipline shit fucker the next 10 years
>>
>>2001892
That's no Zaku boy, no Zaku!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.