[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have these mushrooms growing in my backyard. Anyone help identify

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 8

File: 20151118_143340.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151118_143340.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I have these mushrooms growing in my backyard. Anyone help identify them? Are they safe to digest?
>>
File: 20151118_143346.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20151118_143346.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
picture of the bottom
>>
>'my backyard'
wow that sure helped to pinpoint it down to only a few million species.
>>
At least give me a genus?
>>
>>2000722
you didn't even bother to provide a location.

there's mushroom identification tools for pretty much any country.
>>
>>2000693
best way to identify them is to eat them.

post results.
>>
>>2000730
A botanist would be able to tell us the location based on the plants in the pic.

Too bad we don't have a botanist around.
>>
>>2002291
that would work with anything besides grass.
>>
>>2002301
>only sees grass in that picture
>doesn't notice the two other plants
>pretends to be a botanist
>>
Pull it up by base. Show full underside including stem and stem base. It could be a Pleurotus species, but I cannot tell if that has a stem or not.
>>
>>2002301
I'll give you a hint.
there's wild strawberry and pin oak in the picture.

the mushroom appears to be an oyster.

I'm not a botanist, and neither are you.
>>
>>2002392

Can't be strawberry - the leaves are too round.
Right on the pin oak, though.
I'd put my money on the eastern US.
>>
File: image.jpg (107KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107KB, 800x536px
>>2002392
>>2002403

Looks like ground ivy to me. I have it in Maryland. Smells terrible, spreads everywhere, and bees love it.
>>
>>2002392
looks more like a potentilla or something.

this isn't a TV-quiz, if you don't provide the information I'm not going to look for it in order to find out.
>>
This really won't add anything of value to the thread, so I'm sorry OP, but this is ridiculous.

There is Poa pratensis, Quercus palustris, Acer rubrum and Waldsteinia fragarioides in this picture. Not strawberry, not G. hederacea, not potentilla. But kudos to the people who said strawberry and ground ivy, because it's way closer than any species of Potentilla.

>>2002392
I get the point you're making, that bugguy sucks at plant ID, but a botanist would likely not be able to help on this ID... A mycologist would be able to. Fungi tend to fall outside the realm of what most botanists study (in detail, at least.)

That being said, a picture of the entire stem, and close up of gills, as well as location would be helpful to those that are trying to narrow it down.
>>
>>2003597
>I get the point you're making, that bugguy sucks at plant ID, but a botanist would likely not be able to help on this ID
no, my point is that a botanist would know the general location by the plants in the pic.

and bugguy clearly isn't a botanist, something he demonstrates daily.
>>
>>2003599
Actually, it's a rather broad geographical range, especially considering the fact that all of the plant species I listed above are widely available for sale in the horticultural trade. That being said, I would put the location to be somewhere in south central Canada (likely southern Ontario,) or the northern-most central states (i.e. New York state). Though it's equally possible they are located at a similar latitude somewhere in Europe.
>>
>>2003599
And at least we both can agree that he is not a botanist...
>>
What's the location? These plants can even be found in Australia. Unless this is bait, of which at this point is very likely.
>>
>>2003605
>he imagines identifying plants is all a botanist does
nice projecting.

I got better things to do than identify plants for strangers, hence why I need a location or I won't even bother.
>>
>>2003859
By "identify plants," you mean "google image search until you find a plant that sort of looks like the posted picture, but in reality is the completely wrong family."
>>
>>2004081
if you think there's more to identifying plants than flipping through some pages or using google you're delusional.

maybe you should get an actual degree yourself and stop frontin' on mine ;')
>>
File: 1442952331595.jpg (500KB, 1280x1707px) Image search: [Google]
1442952331595.jpg
500KB, 1280x1707px
>trusting the judgement of posters on a Himalayan salt-harvesting bulletin board system regarding the safety of wild mushrooms
>>
File: IMG-20151026-WA0005.jpg (379KB, 1111x597px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20151026-WA0005.jpg
379KB, 1111x597px
>>2004523
>Himalayan salt harvesting
>>
>>2004105
If this is what you think trained botanists do, or the only way they learn their skills, then I have some bad news for you... Though I can tell you do think this way, because that's how you try to identify most pictures. Like I suggested in a previous thread, become familiar with the morphological characteristics of common families, especially large ones like Rosaceae, so you aren't just googling wildly, and will have a clear idea of whether your ID is even remotely correct. It's evident you don't closely check the characteristics of most plant structures in detail, for instance, confusing W. fragarioides with a Potentilla sp. Or did you just suggest that ID to be contrary to the people who said it was a species of Fragaria? (Blah, blah, blah, you had the correct family, but only by luck because Rosaceae is so huge...) If you can be a little humble, you could actually learn something in these threads.

Also, I have several degrees, and although I can appreciate that you have one as well, it is clearly not related to the study, or science, of botany. ;-)
>>
>>2004105
>maybe you should get an actual degree yourself and stop frontin' on mine ;')

>bugguy's passive-aggressive defense response literally fully triggered

interesting development
>>
>>2004105
After reading this post, I actually had to doublecheck whether this was the real bugguy, or his double.

What does that smiley even mean?
>>
>>2004704
>What does that smiley even mean?
it means please don't ask to see my degree! Please please please don't ask for proof!
>>
cantharellus cibarius, 100% edible

Trust me, I'm a scientist
>>
>>2004800
Do not trust this guy. I'm not a mycologist, and those aren't chanterelles.
>>
>>2004845

Ayy
>>
>>2004847
Don't Ayy me, mushrooms kill some many people. Don't misidentify those.
>>
>>2004878

Ayy
>>
File: the internet made me sad.png (17KB, 601x695px) Image search: [Google]
the internet made me sad.png
17KB, 601x695px
>>2005018
>>
>>2000693
The white gills means it's one of the numerous edible species in genus Amenita.
>>
>>2000693

Brown recluse
>>
File: 1426021576953.jpg (73KB, 490x276px) Image search: [Google]
1426021576953.jpg
73KB, 490x276px
>>2005055
>>
>>2000693
My dad likes to look for mushrooms innawoods occasionaly and he has always told me, Little brown mushrooms, don't bother. White mushrooms with white gills don't bother. Both groups have a lot of mushrooms that look similar and can be difficult to identify correctly.
>>
File: image.jpg (550KB, 1914x1382px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
550KB, 1914x1382px
>>2002392
>>2002301
Twice in one week
>>
its not edible there are roughly 20-40 mushrooms that are edible and less then 10 you can eat raw which this is not one of
>>
>>2004523
>Himalayan salt-harvesting bulletin board system

When did this meme actually start?
>>
They are fine, pack that bitch and stick it in your pipe!!
>>
>>2006562
This is beautiful
>>
>>2006562
>My post made it into a bugfaggot compilation
I've never been so proud
>>
>>2006562
sage all bugguy posts
report all bugguy posts
hide all bugguy posts.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.