[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /an/ alot of times when I walk to work a magpie swoops at

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: magpie455be6ad.jpg (25KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
magpie455be6ad.jpg
25KB, 650x366px
Hey /an/ alot of times when I walk to work a magpie swoops at me.I understand this is seasonal but would giving it food help tame it?Just curious or will it always be a cunt?
>>
>>1999379
If it is an aussie magpie like the one in the pic, it's probably attacking/warning you to keep you away from its kids/nest/territory.

If they are half as intelligent as "normal" magpies, they'll probably get nicer if you feed them.
>>
>>1999381
It is an Aussie magpie I thought birds were smart enough to recognize people?What type of food should I give it?If it continues to despite trying to show I'm no threat I'll just walk the long way around that street.
I think its just the same one that normally swoops me never seen too many together in the street I walk.I have seen a smaller one one some wires near a tree though.
>>
>>1999382
Not sure what to feed them. I've heard that white bread is a no-no. Some people claim that whole grain bread is good, however, and that's what I use when I feed birds.

Try starting out by simply dropping crumbs on the ground when you pass by, and see if their behaviour begins to change.
>>
>>1999384
Okay I might google a bit.It's generally one on its own that swoops me will the food distract it?Generally there are no other magpies near it.I will try feed other ones near the street if I see any.Some are actually alright and just walk around on the ground further up the street don't even fly away when they see me walk by.
>>
>>1999386
I think it'll become friendlier. The concept of "befriending" wild animals is perhaps a bit too anthropomorphist(although there are many indicators that corvids have complex emotions, similar to mammals), but at least, the bird will consider you useful. As soon as it realises the causality behind you always dropping your food when you pass by, it'll probably realise that you're feeding it.

Also, you might not want to overdo it, since the magpie's changed behaviour might make it more dependant on humans, leading it to pester and possibly steal food from other people as well.
>>
>>1999388
Interesting things to consider. I don't even see it every time I go so I definitely won't try to overdo it.I get that it is still a wild animal.I would hate to make it dependent on people.Although I hope I see it again!Will post results if it maims me or eats.thanks for the insight very interesting.
>>
I fed several generation of magpies during the drought after one pair lost their babies to starvation (at least I assume starvation. The dead one I found was in horrible shape). It only took a few weeks before they'd come when called and eat out of my hand. Every year after that them and their young from previous years would nest around the neighborhood and swoop everyone but me. Befriending magpies was awesome. They are at least smart enough to recognize people and not go to strangers looking for food.
>>
>>1999398
Just wondering what did you feed them?
This site says meat mince is alright should I do it cooked or?I can look around pet stores for insects although I live in a small city so I'm not sure how many there are.
http://wildbirdrescues.com.au/feeding-native-birds/feeding-common-garden-birds/
>any pics of the magpies?
>>
File: EKSTER-Marokaanse-20090209_01.jpg (145KB, 800x570px) Image search: [Google]
EKSTER-Marokaanse-20090209_01.jpg
145KB, 800x570px
>>1999398
That sounds awesome. Are you Aussie, too?

I'm European, so i only get the Eurasian magpies. They are lovely, but I hope to see their north African subspecies one day.
>>
>>1999400
Pretty much whatever meat I had on hand. Raw mince meant for pets,dry cat food and mealworms meant for my lizards most often. I used to have a ton of photos but the hard drive they are on doesn't seem to work anymore. I'll look around for my physical photos and scan them.

>>1999401
Yep. Australian magpies. I think european magpies are a lot prettier though.
>>
>>1999406
>I'll look around for my physical photos and scan them.
You don't have to if it's too much of a hassle and thanks for the advice on what you fed them.
>>
Why don't you deck it? If any animal attacked me I'd smash the fuck out of it especially a little bird
>>
>>1999429
>"I hate all living things!"
>"I know! Let's hang out in a board dedicated to discussing animals!"
>>
>>1999429

>Guaranteed responses.

It's Australia, faggot! All of the animals are venomous and descended from criminals!
>>
all the one's near me have been really friendly, I was able to hand feed one outside a cafe just the other day. the only times I've seen them swoop this year have been people on bicycles
>>
>>1999432
Criminal koalas.
>>
>>1999379

Nope. I used to have a family I fed. The next year hey had more kids and started swooping me.

It will always be a cunt. Wear a cap and don't let it near your eyes.
>>
>>1999379
If you look at it then it will stop swooping. Don't look away and it will just keep its distance.

It will always be a cunt (just like everything else on this fucking island)
>>
>>1999429

You've never been to Australia have you?

You can not "deck" a flying bird. You'd look like a fucking moron trying to punch the air above you.
>>
>>2001312
This explains why they are always high
>>
>>1999382
Mate do not feed the magpie. It will be forever bothering people for food. Im from Australia too, dont feed it. It will just harass people for longer.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.