[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a partner really help a mentally ill partner? My boyfriend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4602.png (22KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4602.png
22KB, 612x491px
Can a partner really help a mentally ill partner? My boyfriend thinks he can help me, but I don't think so. He got frustrated at me once, but I don't think he realizes that changing is hard.
>>
A partner can offer stability and support, but if he isn't a health care professional, no, no really should go see someone else to help with your receovery.
>>
A partner can help a mentally ill partner, but not medically.

A partner can be patient with their partner's behaviors, offer support, offer compassion, and all that loveydovey stuff.

A partner can not play doctor, or therapist.

However, you must know when the mentally ill partner's behavior is being destructive. Unfortunately, many people stay when their partner becomes destructive because they cling onto the minimal hope that 'one day it'll go back to normal.'

If you're bipolar, and take meds, and still have some mild 'down' sessions and require isolation for days, a partner should understand that.

If you're bipolar, or schizophrenic, refuse to take meds, and do destructive behaviors like purchase $5000 in plants on an "up" session, or listen to "bad voices" then a partner has to leave.

Show love, and know when it becomes too much.

I dated a girl who had diagnosed anxiety, depression, and saw a therapist weekly. The only thing I could do is offer her comfort, and support during her attacks, and rides to the clinic.
>>
My boyfriend doesn't care to help me even while I'm seeking help. He thinks meds and therapy is a meme.

Feels bad senpai.
>>
>>18604307
do you happen to be a hypochondriac?
>>
>>18604307
That's, uh, a pretty huge red flag right there.
I mean, for me & most people I know that'd be grounds for breaking up.
>>
>>18604310
I don't know. I don't expect much in relationships and we were already on bad terms when he said that so I kind of pushed it to the side. Can't pretend it didn't hurt though.
>>
>>18604313
You aren't presenting a very strong argument for staying together.
>>
>>18604369
The heart wants what it wants anon.
>>
>>18604373
Fair enough.
But don't ever fall into the trap of thinking that you don't deserve to be treated with respect. You can have a talk with this guy about your needs in the relationship. If he's unwilling to give you what you want, think hard about what you are getting from the relationship.
>>
Changing is hard but not impossible. You only change if you want to.
>>
>>18604382
Well I haven't necessarily treated him the best in the past either so I can't blame him throughly. I hope that beginning my treatment can kind of start things fresh and if he is still treating me poorly then I'll know what to do from there.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.