[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to do a personality 180?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Currently
>addicted to sitting in front of my PC all day every day after work, lose sleep on procrastinating while sitting at my PC
>SOMETIMES get into playing a game, interest and actual entertainment value ranges from 5 minutes to 5 weeks' freetime straight
>lazy, unmotivated, fat, friendless, contemplate existing on a daily basis

What I've wanted to do for a long time, but lack discipline/motivation/understanding how/courage/how I often imagine a happy life to be/etc
>get outside
>get fit
>sit in a forest by myself, chill with music and some nicotine
>find friends, do fun shit with them
>become able to run a marathon; endurance has always been humanity's greatest asset, and i see endurance running as the peak in human survival and how we got so far spanning thousands of years back
>become confident and genuinely friendly
>get over my ex and find someone that actually would appreciate me this time

I'm addicted to my PC but can't dare to get rid of it. Sunk cost fallacy etc.
>>
I'm just like this
>>
You can't do a complete personality 180 overnight, you'll just relapse.

The trick is to build habits that will help you reach your goals, slowly and surely. Start by making one change, like limiting your PC use or going for a bike ride in the morning. As you become accustomed to these changes, add other ones.

At some point you will probably relapse and be forced to start again, but you will have accumulated experience. Basically, the more time you spend sitting in front of your computer, the more you'll want to keep doing that. Slowly tearing away yourself from it will help you change your overall lifestyle
>>
>>18599271
But see Anon, I did a test just earlier this year, or even slightly earlier than that.
From about the 10th of December 2016, throughout all of January 2017, I actually did have my PC packed down, stored in a nearby room, inaccessible.

What happened was that I would still just feel like doing nothing, I'd sit in my room and just look at my phone instead, and just complain to myself that I'm doing nothing when I could at least be playing something or even just browse the internet more comfortably on my PC like I'm used to.
I'm fucking ridiculous. I know it, and I can't seem to help it. People tell me to kill myself daily over these issues I have.
>>
>>18599256
indeed it is entirely possible to do this. But you need to have the willpower and drive behind it to do such a thing. Or put yourself in a situation where you can't bitch out and go back to your old ways of living. I'm not telling you that this is the only way, but I found that joining the military re-wired my behaviors and made me so much more than what I was prior to serving. You will be forced into a lifestyle for a duration while in training that you can't stop until you are done. This will help you significantly.
>>
>>18599256
You can't do a 180, you have to start small. I set timers when shit needs to get done, pathetically small ones because I'm not very competent. I set a timer for 7 minutes to clean my room, and I can usually get it clean in 7 minutes of focused effort. Shit like that works when you're trying to claw your way up from the bottom. That 80s training montage where you get your life together in 10 hours aint gonna happen I'm afraid to say.
>>
>>18599256
>personality 180
No. You are who you are. You can't change your personality. But you can change your lifestyle and it requires motivation and first, then perseverance and hard work. Then you'll start enjoying.

Generally in my case I want to do something for a long time and suddenly one day I say "fuck it" and start doing it. Problem is that you have to find your way of consistently keep on doing that. For example, I start doing something with motivation and then I start forcing myself with schedules and timers so I don't forget to do the stuff.

>what I wanted to do for a long time.
From your list, the easiest by far is the forest one. Since you are 24/7 on your pc find a nearby forest and go spend the day there.
Next one could be getting fit, but that depends on how you see it. If the forest is actually close you can kill almost every point of your list by walking/running to the forest and back.
The friends part is tricky. It highly depends on how do you manage yiurself in social situations and you must do some social activity so that you meet people there.
>>
>>18600235
I'm actually surrounded by forests.
>>
I did do a complete 180, but I think the will to change has to come from within. You can't manufacture it. Your interest in turning over a new leaf has to reach the critical point, then you can help nurture it as well as work to become comfortable with the kind of behavior your new needs require.

For me, I woke up one day and realized I wanted to be an independent, social person who's comfortable making friends and dating. The urge was there so I started working to accommodate it. Started working out and running for my own benefit, forcing myself into social situations, and focusing on completing projects. I didn't turn into a TV host overnight, but pretty soon I was able to get what I wanted when I'd leave the house.

Also, based on this thread I'd be looking into tools to manage depression. "I just want to sit around" is a sign you're in a mild depressed state. I'm not talking about pills (unless it reaches that point--despite what 4chan says, short term SSRI use can dramatically help people) but behavior. Increased sunlight, exercise, and healthy eating can have a huge impact on your biochemical balance.
>>
>>18599278
>What happened was that I would still just feel like doing nothing, I'd sit in my room and just look at my phone instead, and just complain to myself that I'm doing nothing when I could at least be playing something or even just browse the internet more comfortably on my PC like I'm used to.
>I'm fucking ridiculous. I know it, and I can't seem to help it. People tell me to kill myself daily over these issues I have.

I dated a girl like this. Unemployed and didn't feel like she could do anything but watch anime. We broke up and that was one of the reasons.

I shit you not, a couple years later I ran into her and she had a company job and was a traveler. Antidepressants.
>>
I have a similar question. I want to actually start going to the gym to be in an environment where I'm motivated to get in shape, but I can't drive due to poor vision and there's not one nearby.

What is the best way to get to one in my situation?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.