[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mum put a large sum in an investment account for me when I turned

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: observe.gif (2MB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
observe.gif
2MB, 480x480px
Mum put a large sum in an investment account for me when I turned 20, and it was a gift for when I finished college.
I found it easy over the last couple of years to withdraw money from there to pay for food, trips, clothes, etc.
I realized half a year ago how dickish and stupid this was and I stopped with the promise that all of my earnings from when I got a job would go to the account until I'd repaid in full what I took, which was around 7% of the total amount (a lot I know, I was stupid).
Anyway, mum's buying a house soon and she's been asking me about the account. I know for a fact she has available all the money she needs for the house, so I doubt it's specifically for the house, but I don't know where her new interest in that account comes from.
I told her the truth about how much is in there (slightly less than original sum because of my withdrawals) but didn't tell her WHY the amount was lesser, and while she was slightly surprised, she just attributed it to fluctuations in the economy (like once before)
However, she just asked me again (like 4 days later) to check how much money is in there and I'm guessing she has some sort of plans for that money since she didn't really care for it for around two years.
I don't know what if anything she plans to do with that money which was supposed to be mine for when I left college. It's not that I care about not having that money since I don't even deserve it. And since it's uncanny that after two years there's LESS than she originally put in, I'm worried that she might find out, and if she does I'm going to be in VERY serious trouble.
Any advice on
a) what to tell her
b) how to pay back that money ASAP.
>>
>>18599231
I thought about selling my laptop and iphone and saying I got mugged and putting the money from the sales into the account, which should be roughly half of what I owe.
Ideas?
>>
>>18599237
Seems very little money, just get a job and pay it back, dont sell your shit that you will have to buy again later anyway at higher expense
>>
>>18599257
Paying back over time is not a real problem, but if she asks for the money soon and asks questions about why there's less now I could find myself in serious trouble.
>>
>>18599279

> I could find myself in serious trouble

How do you know this? It doesn't seem that big an amount from my perspective, could be a reasonable thing to do if you were covering basic expenses with it (food and clothes count for this IMO).
>>
Surely she'd be able to look up transactions?
>>
>>18599309
No, it's all in my name and thus is privileged information.
She could still find out if she asked me, though, because I have no good reason (other than what I've done) to not show her the transaction history or whatever.
>>
>>18599308
It was beyond basic expenses, though.
I didn't for groceries and a jacket for the cold weather but for eating out and buying clothes as a luxury.
>>
>>18599308
As for knowing I would be in trouble, it IS a rather large amount, at least to spend in stupid shit.
Also, she made it clear it was not money for me to spend (even though she made it explicit once I'd resolved not to take anymore, from the beginning I was aware that she did not want me spending the money).
>>
>>18599332
For those wondering it's something like 2,300 USD.
>>
File: 1500268628201.png (234KB, 328x469px) Image search: [Google]
1500268628201.png
234KB, 328x469px
>>18599336
>$2300
>large sum
>>
I still don't think the amount spent is that big compared to the total, or the excuses for it totally unreasonable. It is a harsh life to only buy the necessities for 4 years and almost never buy anything beyond, especially when you have 30k ready to dig into. I doubt you should use this reasoning when talking to your mom, but for the record that's what I think. You should also definitely keep doing what you're doing and show more restraint, but again I don't personally think what you did is the worst thing ever, as long as you don't continue.

Ultimately you know your mother better than any of us and how she'll respond. But even if she did find out and lashed out at you I wouldn't let it bruise your ego, I think what you did was reasonable given you were probably living as a poor student, as most students do. In fact I'm sure a lot people in your situation would have done worse.

If you do find yourself having to explain this to her, I guess one thing you can do is assure her you haven't spent anything in the past 6 months, and that the novelty of having that much money has worn off and you're not as tempted by it anymore.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.