[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

lying on resume

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 1465710552334.gif (966KB, 500x391px) Image search: [Google]
1465710552334.gif
966KB, 500x391px
So on my resume I am about to lie saying I volunteered somewhere and got tons of experience

odds of them finding out?
>>
Depends on what you are applying to.

Regardless the odds are probably pretty high.
>>
>>18525723
its a job at a lab

how can they find out?

i have some legit volunteer work, just not the one i am going to lie about
>>
the more hours you put down the more suspicious it gets
>>
>>18525722
A lot of these places keep records so employers can verify it. Probably a bad idea.
>>
>>18525722
Does volunteer work actually help with a resume?
>>
>>18525895
Definitely. Doing it shows that you care about the community and are willing to do things you're not forced to. It shows some of your character that they might prefer. But lying about it will get you thrown out if not worse if they figure it out.
>>
File: handshakedad.jpg (22KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
handshakedad.jpg
22KB, 612x408px
Why lie when you could simply show up, speak with the manager, give him a firm handshake, and tell him you want the job? It's that simple, Champ.
>>
>>18525901
Ok im not op but i was just wondering. Im having a hard time getting my career started so im planning on volunteering at my local nursing home. Im an electrician and construction worker so i can probably do some maintenance and heavy lifting for them. Plus im really good with old people. What do you think?
>>
>>18525722
They'll probably find out. The key to lying is to lie in such a way that you can't get caught. Now, if you actually volunteered there, you can say that they gave you tons of experience. But if you didn't, I wouldn't put it on the resume.
>>
>>18525916
How can an electrician have trouble finding work? I'm an electrician, and I've been flown out all over the country for power plant and boiler room operator jobs. This entire summer has just been a series of mini vacations that I haven't had to pay a penny for.
>>
>>18525975
No work experience
>>
>>18525987
Then how are you an electrician, if you have no experience in the field? Skilled tradesmen typically go through apprenticeships, not schooling.
>>
>>18525989
Trade school and i plan on leaving here one day to find work, i live in Alabama and we already have too many tradesmen. Who are you working for?
>>
>>18526008
Started off at Boeing as a sheet metal worker. A year or so into it, they saw that I had a knack for reading blueprints, so they offered me an apprenticeship for electrician. Became an apprentice, worked there for 2 years until I got my Journeyman's, then I started looking around for power plant jobs. Snagged one in a small town in Kansas. It was a cut in pay, but an even bigger cut in monthly expenses (2 miles to work, rent is 400/month instead of ~2k, and the apartment was better). Stuck it out there to get my Masters. Now, I just look for work every summer, and have the luxury of being picky.

This summer, I've been flown out to Montana, Oregon, Colorado, Texas, Kentucky, and Massachusetts. That's just since May.
>>
>>18526008
Anyway i dont really care anymore. Im constantly getting fucked and have no idea why. Its been three months and im about to give up on it. If i find something then I'll take it, if not then who cares. Two years of busting my ass for absolutely nothing. Still going to remain productive at least.
>>
>>18526080
Have you bothered opening up the yellow pages, and asking if local electricians are hiring apprentices/journeymen?
>>
>>18526084
Every single one.
>>
>>18526086
Start calling people in Kansas. Back when I moved out here in 2013, people were saying that, "Over the next 3 years, one-third of all electricians would retire." Dunno if they managed to find a way to fill that need, but it wouldn't hurt to call around and find out.

https://www.hrepartners.com wouldn't be a bad place to start, but those are just city/county workers.
>>
>>18526095
How cheap are apartments in Kansas?
>>
>>18526104
Depends on where you live
>>
>>18526104
Depends where you live. I would say that. The bigger cities are going to be more expensive, obviously, but even they aren't too bad, especially when comparing them to real metros.

https://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/Kansas/Wichita/

Wichita is probably the biggest city in Kansas. And the rent is pretty reasonable. Other big cities include Salina and Kansas City (although I would steer clear of that city).
>>
>>18526118
Is 500 a month average
>>
>>18526104
I would recommend looking in Wichita, first. If you are just starting off, this would be the best place for you, price-wise. You're looking at around 400 per month. https://buildersinc.com/apartments/pawnee-park/

>>18526125
Average is misleading, as there are places like what I listed, where the rent is 400, and there are rentals that have 6 bedrooms, 3 baths, 2 car garage, storage shed in the back yard, etc that will go for a couple grand per month.

You need a studio or a 1 bedroom. That shit is cheap Pawnee Park even throws in cable, water, electricity, and trash for free. At ~400/month, that's a great deal.
>>
>>18526129
I'll look into it then, thank! Got any recommendations on companies?
>>
>>18526134
Wichita is literally nicknamed the Air Capital of the World. Think of an air company, and they probably have some factory out there. I would start with Spirit, Learjet, and Hawker Beechcraft.

But there are tons of private electricians in and around Wichita. Look google maps of Wichita, and look in all the surrounding towns. There's Newton, Derby, Maize, Bell Plaine, Clearwater, Goddard, Mayfield, Wellington, Oxford, Winfield, etc. Just remember that the highways all go 65-75 mph, so even if it looks far away, it wouldn't be more than 30-40 minutes from Wichita (and places like that have even cheaper rent).
>>
>>18526134
I literally just did a search for this.
https://www.indeed.com/q-Electrician-l-Wichita,-KS-jobs.html
>>
>>18526160
Okay, hell i'll just plan a road trip and start handing out resumes
>>
>>18526169
Don't hand out resumes. Most of these places let you apply online. Bigger corporations will literally tell you to apply online. If you refuse, they'll take your resume, and scan it into their computer system. Apply online for corporations. Apply online for smaller businesses if you can, and then follow up with a phone call.

If you get interviewed, write and mail them a hand written thank you letter. Don't call more than once every 2 weeks unless they tell you something like, "Call back next Monday."
>>
>>18526180
Actually ive thought this over. I'm going to hold off on some big move for a while. My career can wait, there's something more important I need to take care of first.
>>
>>18526523
Ok. Don't expect those jobs to stay open forever, though.
>>
>>18526530
I won't, but I know what my problem is now.
>>
>>18525726
well they can check your references for one

many work places however never check references but frankly mate if you need to lie for a job maybe you should be applying for a job

volunteer experience probably wont be the difference between an interview and no interview so just make your life easier and don't lie, just be confident and likeable during the interview
>>
>>18525722
Lying on a resume is encouraged. The only thing you can't lie about is your education. Everything else is part of the game.

If you get caught you'll be fired so at least know what you're talking about.
>>
>>18525722
if youre talking about volunteering for like a charity or homeless shelter, i doubt they could find out. just have a few answers prepared if they ask about it. but you seem to be talking about volunteering at a job. thats more risky.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.