[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some advice, I'm looking to become a pilot. To

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 299446.jpg (3MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
299446.jpg
3MB, 2560x1600px
I need some advice, I'm looking to become a pilot.

To preface, I'm 24 years old with no post secondary education. I've been a working actor for 5 years, getting walk-on roles here and there and padding my income with background work. It's a living, but if I have to spend another 10 years doing this and hoping for my big break I'm going to shoot myself.

So I figure I take my money and stop buying anime figures, magic cards, antique watches, and whatever other garbage I spend money on, and put it into an education in aviation. Most places rent their aircraft for $200 an hour, instructors are another $75 an hour, and if you want a commercial license you need 200 hours minimum, more like 500 hours to actually work. Helicopters, which I am more interested in, are more like 300 an hour without the instructor.

Flight schools bundle all this plus your exam fees and whatnot for something like 60 grand. My hope is to skip this process, do "ground school" by studying on my own, take out a loan and buy a plane.

To my peers, this sounds insane. I would be taking out something like 30k to buy a small plane, and theoretically get my 200 hours in 5 weeks. Insurance and hangar cost would be minimal assuming I only keep it for a month or two, I just have to worry about operation costs, should be doable since I can keep my regular job going during this time. At the end of the process, I sell the plane and have basically cut 40-50k off what most people are paying for their license.

At 200 hours, you have to beg for what is essentially intern work until you get 500 hours total. From there you get shitty backwoods jobs until you get 1500 hours like 5 years from now and can start working for a reasonable wage. I figure if I do keep the plane, I could try to use it to fly people around while gaining hours, but.. the loan wouldn't be paid off fast enough, and I wouldn't make enough to pay off maintenance and operation costs. If the plan works, it feels like a steal. Am I delusional?
>>
>>18523067
I don't know anything about flying, but it sounds unsure to me. But also like possibly a good idea. I remade your question here:

>>>/n/1091291
>>
File: handshakedad.jpg (22KB, 612x408px) Image search: [Google]
handshakedad.jpg
22KB, 612x408px
>>18523067
"It's easy, son. Just walk in there, speak with the flying instructor, give him a firm handshake, and ask him to let you start flying. All there is to it."
>>
To be an airline pilot, you basically need to have military experience. Vets get priority hiring.

To get a commercial pilot's license, though, costs closer to $20 grand than $60. See https://www.afa.edu/resources/pilot-training-cost/ for costs for various types of licenses.
>>
>>18523067

no, you already made one bad decision with the acting thing, lets not make another one.

I wouldnt do it unless there is some guarantee. Because any of what you said in the plan could go wrong and become an expensive mess.
>>
Hahahhahahahahahha your a gag dude where do you think all the military's pilots go after a tour? Civilian sector and even that is saturated so haaaa
>>
>>18523067
What's the interest on the loan? Also consider how easily you'd be able to sell the plane if you really needed to. Just do some plugging and chugging in excel to create a clear financial picture
>>
>>18524231
i'll keep an eye on it, thanks

>>18524398
>>18524433
Canada doesn't have a military so this doesn't apply as much. I would ideally like to fly helicopters, it just sounds more cost effecient to get a fixed wing license and transition over later, and I've heard helo pilots are in high demand, The issue is the companies that have a minimum 1000 hour requirement for their pilots. I'm not sure it's worth the investment

>>18524405
Acting worked out for me and I live comfortably, I'm just looking for something more interesting. It's certainly a slippery slope if I fuck it up at any point though.

>>18524453
The places I'm looking at are 20% on personal loans, but I've heard of some lower. I'm trying to find out if I can pass it off as education/work related expenses to get more money for less but I'm not having much luck. I can probably resell the plane for 20% more than I bought it for, if I'm lucky. Hangar costs are cheap but I don't want to hold onto it for longer than I have to. The interest rates I'm seeing are all annual so it screws me a little bit, I thought I could find something monthly that would completely fuck you at like 50% annual if you didn't pay it off in time, but no dice so far.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.