[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have made a mistake One of my coworkers took my phone and was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: sad.jpg (4KB, 284x178px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
4KB, 284x178px
I have made a mistake
One of my coworkers took my phone and was prying into my personal information when I didn't want them to
They went behind a busted door which was locked, so I grabbed a prybar and hit the door to get in because it was busted anyway
They were up against the door and it ended up hurting their back pretty bad
If I saw them there I wouldn't have swung at the door
Could I be brought up on charges for injuring a person inadvertently?
>>
>>18519558

the charges would be dropped as soon as you can file charges for theft. it doesn't matter if they were doing it to be 'funny' or whatever. they literally stole your phone to steal your information, doesn't matter if they were going to give itb ack.
>>
>>18519561
Could there be any charges on me for assault with a deadly weapon if it was unintended?
>>
>>18519561
That's not theft.

>doesn't matter if they were going to give itb ack.
Uh, yes it does. Intention to deprive the owner of the goods is part of the legal definition of theft.
>>
>>18519564

again, they would be dropped once you file against them for theft. the laws vary from place to place, but as a general rule the law actually allows you to physically assault others who are trying to steal from you. its not assault, its literally protection of property.

look up your local laws, but you are probably safe, and if not its likely going to be too petty for the mto try, and if they do try you can still threaten.

>>18519566

>that's not theft

stealing someones item, with the further intention of stealing someones private information is definitely theft. if you were right than any one who has ever stolen anything could claim 'i was going to give itb ack'. when you give permission for someone to borrow your car, it is still legally 'stolen' if they do not return it by the agreed upon time.

even if you can argue it was 'borrowing' it'd be pretty difficult to find anyone who to side with the guy who was stealing the phone because there is no way for him to prove that he was going to give it back.

he took something that wasn't his. the law literally does not require OP to know what is in the thief's mind.

im by no means a lawyer but i took street law, once in guam and once in america.
>>
>>18519570
>im by no means a lawyer but i took street law, once in guam and once in america.
>>
>>18519573

are you implying you are a lawyer? or that you took better classes?
>>
>>18519575
I actually do have a law degree and I am soon to be a lawyer, yes. But if OP wants to take advice from someone who took 'street law' then that's his prerogative.
>>
>>18519570
OP here, the context was it was more of a joke, but still demanded it back and in was no way joking before I started hitting the door
>>
>>18519581
What about>>18519564
I didn't see the individual, they got injured through the door
>>
>>18519578

pics or it didn't happen.

>>18519581

doesn't matter if someone does something 'humorously'. you told him to give it back and he ran off with it instead. that is theft. don't let the guy pretending to be a lawyer on a friday night fool you.

the cops are not dumb enough to pursue this if he tries, and if he is insistent there is no judge dumb enough to side with him, let alone a jury.
>>
>>18519588
>pics or it didn't happen.
I'm not going to argue with you, I'm not interested in arguing with fuckwits. I don't care if you believe me or not.

OP, my advice is not to listen to >>18519588 but at the end of the day, I don't know you and it doesn't make a difference to me what happens to you.
>>
>>18519558
You realize that you can just lock and encrypt your phone, and not leave it laying around like a faggot, right?
>>
>>18519624
Did that afterwards
Thanks for the advice
>>
>>18519578

alright faggotron you're gonna get indicted for perjury because you don't know your shit and you're a liar.

>>18519558

not sure if a claim of theft will fly, but if you do get a letter in the mail you tell them to STFU and mention 18 U.S. Code § 2511 1a. (assuming you're in the US)

In any case, I would file a police report.
>>
>>18519694
>18 U.S. Code § 2511 1a
That's about wiretapping, Mr Street Lawyer.
>>
>>18519703
>>18519694
My biggest concern is not the phone, but whether I could be charged for assault, I never intended to injure the person in question with a weapon
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.