[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fired from career job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: teardrop.jpg (34KB, 957x541px) Image search: [Google]
teardrop.jpg
34KB, 957x541px
I need some help. Please.

I was basically fired today, seriously, and I feel like killing myself. Technically I've been only a full-time intern, paid by hour with overtime, for 8 months, but was told repeatedly by the boss that as soon as I proved myself I could be moved on permanently. I'm only 22 but I have a job as an actuary. I thought I had been doing a great job. Yesterday the boss scheduled a meeting to see me today so I genuinely thought I was going to be moved to full time or given a project or something. He told me that he had decided to terminate my employment in 4 weeks. He said basically that the project I had been putting all my time into was not really helping the company that much and that there basically weren't going to be any other projects for a few months possibly, so it wouldn't make sense to keep me there and it "didn't feel like a great fit" for me. I was devastated and told him about how I would work harder and get myself on board with whatever projects there are and how my wife and I had just started settling into the area and this was a huge change and big deal to me. He said frankly that I just wasn't as efficient as I needed to be yet. I almost cried but said that it meant a lot to me to be there and asked for another chance. So he said ok, I could try again for another chance, but there really wouldn't be much work to do or much of an opportunity so he wasn't sure if it would work out at all. He said ok, he wouldn't make his decision final quite yet, but that after 4 weeks he would decide finally.

I'm feeling so suicidal right now. I told my wife, who was just getting settled in this area with me and she was just starting to make friends here. All our stuff is here and my pay was good.

I really want to kill myself with pills or a knife right now.

If anyone here could give me any advice, I'd sincerely appreciate it.
I've been crying so much since I got home I can hardly move.
>>
Hey man, don't end a temporary problem with a permenant solution like that.

You're 22 and your career hasn't started yet. Even if you lose this job, I'm sure you'll find other employment opportunities. Think about your wife. She can't lose you to suicide. That would be incredibly selfish of you.

Wrangle up your support system, any people in your life who can point you in the right direction. Jobs are not worth dying over- I'm a construction worker, trust me.

Also toughen up. You can handle this without crying anymore. You need to be strong now. There is always tomorrow anon.
>>
>22
That marriage won't last long and she'll just take your money down the road job or not
>>
>>18519130
This. Does your wife have black male friends?
>>
>>18519123
You're only 22 man. Just learn from this. Talk to your boss, you have nothing to lose at this point. Everyone should know when their head is on the block, so it's kind of surprising to hear when someone gets canned out of the blue. Just ask him why he didn't think your performance was up to snuff. Then take that information and do better next time. But that being said, he probably just didn't like you, or had to cut someone for budgetary reasons and you were the easy fix
>>
You weren't fired, you completed your internship and just weren't taken on afterwards. The two are most certainly not the same. This was just a resume builder, get a good reference from this employer and move on.

You are seriously overreacting if this makes you want to kill yourself, wtf.
>>
>>18519132
>>18519130
No, I'm not as worried about that kind of thing..

I'm just in my room crying
>>
>>18519123
>im only 22

I seriously stopped reading. Thats it right there and you even said it yourself.

Now repeat that to yourself over and over.

Shit happens. Onto the next opportunity. Theres a million. You only dont know about them because you dont know about them. That may seem like an obvious statement but think hard about that, too.

Then go do some hard research on how to make a living. Entrepreneurship, paid education and retraining programs, government employment centers, trades programs. Whatever.

Youre feeling high and dry right now. Pull through.

Youre young and your brains still developing [citation needed.. Exists though] youre still.absorbing new information and skills at an insane rate. Take advantage now.
>>
>>18519123
You're a guy? Why are you crying so much? Cry when your mom dies, sure, but why are you crying over the loss of a job, a job that you haven't even lost yet? Get in touch with recruiters and consulting companies in your area. There are plenty of jobs. Do NOT tell anyone you were fired, just say you were temp and the project ended and you wanted to see what else was out there.

And pull your fucking self together, man. It's a fucking job. Killing yourself over a job at 22.... God, kid.
>>
>>18519144
I really honestly believed I would be working here and living here for the next 10 years with my wife and possibly start a family. We were settling down and she was just starting to make friends here.
>>
>>18519145
I was temp, even though I didn't realize it, so that's true. I just really believed >>18519148
is all.
>>
>>18519148
Ill clarify.

Im 30. University educated. Much job experience in many fields. Ive also been suicidal over dead ends many times.

And yet i still find myself in bigger and better positions. And literally an hour before I found the next opportunity, id have told you it was hopeless, and a year before each opportunity, if you told me id have been doing that job, id have laughed and said "nah i dont know anything about that."

Ive learned the most painfully obvious/most misunderstood thing in life is this:

You are not psychic, you dont know your ability until you're thrust into a situation, and you won't find it unless you keep your ear to the ground.
There are a million places that are 100% perfect for you that will hire you tomorrow and youll be set for life, experience and education or not. You just don't know about them. Do not let that scare you, and keep learning about the world around you, and where your pie is.

Its hard af, but you can do it. So what, your fucking plan crumbled. It was a great idea and would.have been wonderful. Its gone now. Find and execute the next great idea.

Ps. Remember how im uni educated?

Im now.working the most fun best paying job of my life and i just put in an offer on buying a house. I am a carpenter. Would have been hired with grade 10 math.

Not saying that's for you. If its not, something else is.
>>
Bro, same thing pretty much just happened to me last year. I'll skip all the details (unless you want to know) and just say that its all for the better. This forced me to apply around and see what else is out there, and I'm at a much morw enjoyable job. Granted, I make much less, but in the end I'm happy I didnt stay.
>>
>>18519133
Well he's told me.
After 2 months into the job, I met the boss for the first time. I asked him why my internship had no end date and he said that was intentional, that he would check my performance occasionally and move me up if he felt it was a good fit. A few months later, he reviewed me and said I simply wasn't bringing in enough client hours and gave me a goal for client hours. I met and slightly surpassed that goal from the day he gave me that review. I worked hard.

Today he pulls me in and I thought he would move me up for passing that review but instead he told me that the project I was working on was not actually making the company enough money so even though I had listened to his previous review thoroughly, I still wasn't making the company enough money and wasn't necessary. He said today that this was mostly his fault for not telling me that the project I had been putting all my time into was basically a dud for the company.

But then he said that over the next few months there won't be many projects so it probably won't work out.

After my talking, he agreed to give me a second chance.
>>
>>18519169
I sincerely appreciate your advice.

I'm just sad imagining having to tell my parents that it didn't work out the way they thought it would.
>>
>>18519185
Trust me.
They also know shit happens.
>>
>>18519123
>I've been crying so much since I got home I can hardly move.

Geez, you're over-reacting. It's not world-ending.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average worker currently holds ten different jobs before age forty, and this number is projected to grow. Forrester Research predicts that today's youngest workers will hold twelve to fifteen jobs in their lifetime.

In other words, today's economy is much more fluid and reactive to changes. A lifelong position in a corporation is what your dad's generation did but that was before globalization, lightning-fast information exchanges, world-wide competition and razor-thin markets, industry-changing technologies and so on. Expect to get hired and fired many times.

Your jobs could hinge on a project-to-project basis or some MBA in some far-off office decided to trim budgets by outsourcing or there could be stupid office politics raging... welcome to corporate life.

Make finding another job a priority. Approach it professionally, systematically: ask around (even in your company), join professional groups (Linked In, etc). You can even use headhunters if you need to. You will probably end up in a better position somewhere. Don't be afraid to move; go where the action is.
>>
>>18519305
It's hard to move when you're just getting settled in but I'll try this.
>>
>>18519305
>28 and held at least 15 different jobs
:|
>>
>>18519132
I have an idea, maybe you should kill yourself instead
>>
>>18519123
Suck it up buttercup. Most people don't get a decent paying job until they are to to 20 years older than you. My advice is don't think the world is going to automatically hand you millions of dollars and a house. No one owes you anything and you just became of age to trust to buy alcohol yourself a year ago.

Also, I'm not convinced you are a real actuary. Usually people only can be certified as an actuary after about 6 to 8 years.
>>
>>18519543
Yes I know. I'm studying to be an actuary, so I'm an actuarial analyst at the moment only working on my 3rd test. I'm not an FSA or even ASA yet, which is even more concerning because I don't have that under my belt if I'm fired yet. I'm still at the bottom of the ladder.
>>
Failure is a part of life. Thomas Edison said, "I did not fail making the light bulb 700 times, I succeeded in finding 700 ways that it didn't work." With that said, you are young. You are young until the day you die, actually. Why are you not planning on your next move? Why are you throwing in the towel after the first hurdle that is presented to you? I am 26 and finishing up a bachelors degree in Media Production. I originally thought I wanted to be a lawyer until I tanked my GPA from 3.9 to 2.7. Why did I give up so easily? Because I didn't really want it. But film? A band just released a music video I directed for them. I won some money recently for a film I made. It is exciting. But guess what? When I applied for a media internship I didn't get it. But you know what I did? I spent all of the next semester making as much work as I could, and you know what happened? Something crazy. I made a ton of friends in the community. I met a lot of talented musicians and artists. I really did a lot of cool stuff. How did I do that? I tried. I put in effort for the first time in my life, and guess what? After that semester of working myself crazy I got not just one, but three internship offers, and people are contacting me for freelance work. So I'm making money doing what I love. And I realized something. When 50 Cent said, "get rich or die trying" I always thought he meant get rich or die while doing something while trying to get rich. But what he really meant is get rich, or spend your whole life chasing that dream. And that is how we should regard our work. Your field, if you really are passionate about it, you will chase that until the day you die. For me? I have no expectations, I just want to ride this thing out and see where I end up, but at the same time I am willing to work harder at this than I have ever worked at anything my entire life. Why do you not feel the same way? Why is this not a sign to work harder? To make this happen?
>>
>>18519552
>>18519123
>An actuary is a business professional who deals with the measurement and management of risk and uncertainty.
>measurement and management of risk and uncertainty.
>risk and uncertainty.
Seems kind of ironic that you didn't see this coming.
>>
>>18519609
I'm just a recent graduate who loved mathematics and found this as my least worst option out there for employment. First time paying rent on my own and having to take care of myself. The idea of not having some kind of income to keep supporting myself and my wife with terrifies me.
>>
>>18519123
Did you pass any of the exams yet and what did you major in in college?

What kind of actuary?
>>
>>18519836
I passed 2 exams and my major in college was mathematics. I am currently an actuarial analyst in consulting, with a focus on life.
>>
Are you being laid off or fired? Cus there's a difference and you can file for unemployment either way. Stop being a pussy and move on. Be sure to ask for a letter of recommendation.
>>
>>18520086
Like I said, I'm technically an intern even though it's been 8 months there and they told me pretty much that I would be there permanently so I didn't complain
>>
>>18519615
Sorry man but moving out before you had savings to back some unforseen issue like this, is your bad.

You should have enough saved for this to ne a non-issue. Move back in with your rents and try again.

People will only think less of you if you dont and bury yourself in debt while paying rent you cant afford.
>>
>>18520098
Did you fill out a w4? Were you paid? Then you were employed and are eligible for unemployment. It's literally job search money
>>
1. crying that much isn't normal. get to a doctor and get some testosterone. and work out too. 2. were you incredibly sheltered as a kid? did you get awards just for showing up? did your parents give in to your temper tantrums? I'm truly amazed how you are over reacting to a minor set back. is this the first dose of reality in your whole life?
I unironically wish I got fired. I dislike my career and have for 6 years. I'd like to start something new. I make great money and have a pregnant wife and a kid to support otherwise I'd just quit.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.