[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can't find a job in my field. I KNOW THEY'RE THERE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

>I'm 24 and 6 months out from finishing my degree. BS in computer science.
>GPA is 2.8, and I'm trying to get at least a 3.0, but these classes are hard af.
>Applied everywhere for the summer to get some experience in coding for big corp.
>Only got one recruiter to talk to me and says it'll be October before they'll consider me.
>Still living at home, worked 4 years of retail before quitting because the people they hired on as managers were complete dicks to me.

Basically there's something I'm doing wrong here, either with my approach to applying online or my GPA, or my resume.

I would like to work as a civilian under the navy cyber warfare dev group, or even doing anything in coding for government contract.

Hell at this point, if I can't get a job by the time I graduate, I'm seriously considering enlisting as an officer in the navy or airforce and doing 4 years of tour just to get security clearance so I can have an edge up in the government workforce.

At this point I just really need some job experience in my field and can't catch any. Any tips?
>>
welp. I'm fucked. /adv has no advice for me. Guess I'm going to OTS.
>>
>>18443241

How are you side projects?

You should put your GPA off your resume. The rule of thumb is anything less than a 3.3, you just leave it off.

Finding a summer job is a little tough right now, mostly because companies usually find college grads before summer break.

Best advice, do side projects, pad the fuck out of your github and put it on your resume, give brief bullet points on your hardest/biggest projects. Using school work is totally fine.
>>
>>18443241
Also referrals take you super far. I got most of my interviews by just asking around friends and acquaintances if they can look at my resume.

Good Luck :)
>>
>>18443328
I've got 2 projects listed on my resume, one for kit kat development and one for SQL webhost dev under linux systems.

And hell no I ain't putting my gpa on there.

I however DONT have a git hub. Probably should work the hell out of that.
Got a linkedin though at least.

>>18443329
How about research professors? I have classes with 3 tenure profs this fall. I'll work on connections too then.
>>
>>18443342
Yeah definitely put research on your resume. Github is important to have on your resume. My resume has my github linked at the header and the link to each repo for each project I mention
>>
>>18443355
Alright that's something I can work on. I have to learn up on more Java this summer so I might as well do some Java projects and shove them on there.

>>18443328
>>18443329
Thanks a bunch for the advice.
>>
>>18443378
Yeah no problem homie, do even project euler questions. I have a repo that just has every project euler problem.
>>
You should probably be doing projects that mimic the requirements of the job you want. Pick something specific for now, like full stack web dev, mobile development, game dev via c++, etc.

Practice and learn version control with git and svn. Create local repositories, commit to them, push to remote ones. Create a portfolio of projects based off the type of job wanted.

Research and get familiar with latest technologies, frameworks, libraries for the job type.
>>
>>18443410
Did some svn with a stupid intro to game programming course. Fuck that class, the engine was created by a professor at my university and had absolutely no documentation with it. I get the gist here though. Do some substantial projects over the summer, push versions as I progress.
Gotchya!
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.