[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand names on this site

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0425.jpg (289KB, 1242x1221px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0425.jpg
289KB, 1242x1221px
Sorry, not sure if this is the right place.

But why is it frowned upon to use the name field here? But I also see some users being called by specific names - wouldn't they have HAD to use the name field for them to be so prolific? although, many are plain white girls so I guess since they post pictures they get attention and can just say their name in their post.

Anyway, I'm just curious as to why using the name field is frowned upon while posting photos of yourself frequently is not - they are both identifiers, negating the premise of being anonymous, and signs of desiring attention.
>>
Picture is worth a thousand words
>>
>>18369853
Sorry, English isn't my first language. I understand this is a popular quote but what is the relevance here?
>>
poop
>>
>>18369839
A face is often required to make an advice related call, but it is still anonymous in how it's so generic. It's up, it's forgotten about - do you remember every face you meet in your day-to-day?

Namefags try to cultivate an identity here, which is pretty faggy. An identity is not anonymous.
>>
>>18369839
This is an anonymous image board. It's part of the culture. Tripfags are basically screaming "look at me, I matter".
>>
File: 1463680635405.png (111KB, 1125x681px) Image search: [Google]
1463680635405.png
111KB, 1125x681px
pic related OP.

on other forums hwere you have a username it becomes less about the conversation and more about the history. the 'popular' users get all the responses and newbs will post a thread with something interesting and get no response at all.

worse, it cuases a lot of drama between users who can hold grudges. one disagreement can turn to a board war.

here on 4chan anytime you talk to someone, its anonymous, and we treat them like its our first time ever talking to them. in one thread you can be shit talking someone for being the worst person ever and in another thread be E-hugging them and talking about how you guys would be bros irl.

as a result, people trying to ruin this by using names when no one else is are shunned. whats worse is they use names knowing no one else does, essentially saying 'i deserve to be acknowledged and others don't.

tripfags claim to not want the attention that they do it for 'other' reasons but time and time again this has been proven to be false.

the reason the name field DOES exist on SOME boards is because it can be used to make things less confusing, but generally only within a thread.

for instance osmeone claiming to be a lawyer and giving advice in an /adv/ice thread could have the thread ruined if someone else pretends to be a lawyer and gives shitty advice to troll. so he might create a name so people know its truly him giving real advice.

in other boards where this sort of identity isn't needed for more than one thread, they might have IDs.
>>
>>18369941
Good explanation! Thanks.
>>
>>18369941
Very very good post ...I come here to give advice from the hood.....raw advice maybe too raw for some but I will tell you straight up from my perspective
>>
>>18369941
I like this :)
Originally I intended to make a trip to answer some anons about math career, and academia general (what to expect, how to study, the path (textbooks) to go through etc.) so that they can distinguish my post from others.

But now I see that it is unnecessary, since typically math threads in adv have no noise or shitposts (unlike sci) and only two, three posters. Funnily relationship threads in sci have similar quality (before it's deleted)
>>
>>18369985

yeah i wouldnt worry about it, dont use a trip until theres a reason to use a trip
>>
>>18369839
How do I make spoilers tags?
>>
>>18369839
Its only frowned upon to use names if you contribute jack shit to the board and/or threads.
If you want to use names, but you do something like storytimes, or distributing valuable information to other anons, or are developing something, it's perfectly fine to use a name. If you act like a giant faggot who can't make a post without some FOTM anime girl, and "pretend" to be retarded while replying to every post int he thread with a name, you can fuck right off to Reddit or another place that requires logins.
>>
>>18370012
[spoiler]Do this on supported boards which /adv/ is not.[/spoiler]
>>
what's the tattoo say on your right arm?
>>
>>18369839
The idea is that all posts should be anonymous because they should be judged by the quality of what they've said rather than influenced by someone's gender, past reputation, race, etc.

By eliminating your anonymity, you are expressing a dislike for the system that governs here when there are plenty of other sites that satisfy your need and thus you don't belong for many reasons which I won't get into here.

tl;dr Your posts should be able to stand on their own without the need to identify you.
>>
Because only attention whores use them. Same with pictures, but in many cases the picture is related to the post so that's fine.
>>
cause the whole point is anonymity here and anyone using names is seen as an attention whore. thing is if you pay attention sometimes you can pick people out based on content, posting style, and personality.

so like dementia poster, for example, is really easy to pick out and they've never used a name or posted a pic. reddit spacing and crazy content with a personality quick to anger.

on the topic of pictures most people never specifically say they're pictures of them unless you're on /soc/. you can never really be sure if a picture is of someone unless you have something to go off.
>>18369853
true.
>>
File: dying laughing.gif (500KB, 500x252px) Image search: [Google]
dying laughing.gif
500KB, 500x252px
>>18369955
I'm sorry man I don't mean to laugh at you but I read that in Icecube's voice lmao
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.