[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, guys, I need to know pros and cons and hear some recommendations.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Hey, guys, I need to know pros and cons and hear some recommendations.

See, I'm kinda hating my life here on this little kitchen job that will probably never give me a raise or a promotion.

I'm very deeply considering joining a branch of military (Air Force, Navy, Marines, Army, etc.).

I always felt people coming from these at least had a direction in life that went sideways-yet-up, on top of the benefits they gain from being in these branches. The people coming from these places seemed to have gotten far better off than regular losers (kinda like myself).

Should I try to join one of these branches to change my life for the better or just keep working at this job until I miraculously get my raise? I can't exactly get another job just yet, as I need to finish 5 more months to get my experience ready for the other kitchens.

I heard you never really need experience in the military, you just need to endure until you win and leave on a good note.
>>
Become a programmer:
1) save up $6k
2) Take a programming bootcamp
3) The bootcamp will place you in a high paying junior position when you graduate.
4) change jobs every 1.5-3 years to get a bump in pay.

Actually, being promoted isn't how society works anymore. It's understood you need to go to a new employer if you want a pay raise/promotion.

Same applies to your job (if you actually enjoy working in food). Work at one place for 6-12 months. Move to the next place. Say, "I know how to do this and this, pay me more".

You can still move up in society. You just need the right mindset.
>>
>>18368285
annon speaks truth.
You need a skills based job or you need to run your own business otherwise you will be stuck in shitty dead end kitchen jobs forever

military is a good choice if you don't mind taking orders and don't have issues with authority
>>
>>18368285
>become a programmer
Uhh...me not good in da computerz.

I thought I was till I fell for the CS meme in Community College. Still, this sounds good, but the biggest problem is that I don't exactly know how my savings will last during the time I attend. I unfortunately had to buy a studio apt to gtf away from my worthless family, so I unfortunately heavily rely on this shitty job to keep my building, electrics, internet, and more paid.

Still, I'd kill for a bump up in life. If this is the way to go, I'll go ahead and scrimp and save to my last dollar to enact this plan.

I truly hate working here and it turned me off from the kitchen forever. I'd much rather kill for a desk monkey job OR something more rewarding than this. This position is humiliating and unthankful. Literally anything else is better than this (except burger flipper)

Anyway, that's sad to hear. I always thought you get promoted from within rather than just hopping back and forth to jobs. I always heard job hopping is bad to do, but if it's the way up, so be it also.

>>18368295
I'm okay with strictness so long as I can move ahead in life.
>>
>>18368251
I was Army. Its a bunch of bootlicking, rah rah Murcia bullshit but if you can put up with that, and a good sampling of the worst kinds of people (esp in the Army and USMC) then it can be a good option.

Know going in:

1) the military doesnt give a fuck about you (I was unwittingly exposed to small amounts of nerve gas - late 90s, early 00s, and have adverse effects to this day)

2) you will deploy if you are in combat arms, and many support positions. operation constant war is still in full swing

3) get into decent shape if youre not. run. a lot.

4) your recruiter is full of shit. if it isnt in writing, it isnt happening...and even then, who knows

5) try to pick an MOS that can lead to something decent in the civilian world, i.e. not a trigger happy combat vet who gets hired by the local PD for 35k a year

thats all i got at the moment. look hard at the USAF and USN, less bullshit. still lots, but less and more tech jobs
>>
>>18368320
Consider it an option, but you need to expand. You've identified your problematic carrier, that's good. Now you need to look forward and choose a path. If not computers, then maybe trades, machinist, carpenter, HVAC tech, electrician, etc.. they pay well and are always in demand.

Or look at jobs that benefit people who generate results like sales. Stressful job often, but if you're good at it you can move up quickly and make lots of money.

Office jobs are also not a terrible way to go if you can survive being a bureaucrat.
>>
>>18368320

Firstly, kudos for venturing out on your own to get away from your shit family. Takes some guts.

Knowledge based jobs will be the only jobs in the near future.

If you've already tried programming (I find whether people love it at first sight or not depends heavily on the teacher), you can also get into more of the design aspect of the web.

If you don't want to go that route. Have you considered the trades? Certain ones pay well and there aren't many job hazards. There is room to move up quickly in those, especially because society has been telling kids to go to university instead of trades for a couple decades now and all the old tradespeople are dying/retiring. HVAC is great money. Electricians make bank.

Job hopping is bad, but it's only counted as hopping if you don't stay for very long. That's why you should figure out the average length people stay at jobs in your industry. For tech it's about 1.5-3 years. You can quit after 1.5 years multiple times and nobody will bat an eye.
For food industry, it's about 8-24 months, from what I gather. Higher turnover rate.

But yeah, it's not worth sticking in the food industry unless you want to be a sous chef or chef.
Bartenders actually make good cash. And there's the option to move into the premium cocktail/high end industry if you live in a big city.

Do some research on google. There are a number of entry level jobs that pay better and aren't as harsh as working in a kitchen. Not many of them have career advancement opportunities anymore though, so it's better to invest in some knowledge industry asap.
>>
>>18368325
1. Knew that from the beginning. Only fellow grunts might respect each other, but even then, it's only implied.
2. Goddamn it. Well, it's extremely likely I'll be in the combat position given my wide frame. If I actually did work out, they would instapick me there.
3. Just run? Well, if that's it, I'll see if I can make weekends out of it. Thing is I've gotten rather hefty, so it's not as easy as it was before.

Oh, and weights and shit would be a problem unless I splurge 50 bucks a month to the nearby gym to train my ass off for said weekends.
4. Always knew this as well. It was thanks to my scumwad of an aunt that I learned if it's in writing, it's trustworthy.
5.I'm not exactly bright in finding such positions, but I'll see if I can pull tricks from my sleeve to get in one.

Air Force is cool to me because I always wanted to fly. Navy is...something I don't truly know. All I know is the people who come back are pretty much the fittest fiddles or the more chilled-out types.

>>18368330
>>18368349
I always wanted to attempt a trade position. HVAC looks cool, Electrician seems somewhat dangerous, but extremely worthwhile. I always wanted to play with tools though, like with welding, machinism, etc. Even carpentry and landscaping seem comfy, and these jobs involve being in the sun forever or extensive lifting.

There are so many cool things to do with trades, but they're also a bit far for me to go to.

I'll research what's right for me in this area, because I always hear good about these jobs.

...I always wanted to be a farmer, though. Problem is that job is extremely risky and not totally rewarding. It is comfy, though.
>>
>>18368392
Don't listen to >>18368325, the other branches are very different from the army and marine corps.

I'd recommend navy or air force, don't know much about coast guard but I assume it's similar to the navy sans aircraft carriers and such. I thought the idea of being a pilot was cool too, but from what I've heard it's pretty hard. The only pilots I know are like career military people who like went to school for that. It's hard but not impossible. But keep in mind that every branch of the military has pilots.

I've had friends join the navy, talked to others but never enlisted myself. They still require basic training so they make you get fit, and the work is usually pretty dull from what I've heard. But often you get to see the world, etc. The chair force sounds chill but I'm sure they can be intense too.

I've heard having some college helps, and if you have a degree you're an automatic officer. But they might ask you to take like an aptitude test and place you somewhere random. The military owns your body for your enlistment time so you have to live how they say for very little pay in some cases. While learning a trade might be easier and more lucrative. We live in a knowledge economy.
>>
>>18368435
>navy/air force
Always felt I knew these were better.

For dull work to see the world...that's genuinely interesting! I always wanted to travel, but never had the time nor money to be able to.

>some college
Hope they don't mind a dropout like me
>degree means auto officer
...hmm.

>military owns your body for enlistment time so you have to live how they say for very little pay in some cases.
...Thankfully, I'm only considering and am not totally on the idea yet.

And I still would kill to learn trades, but this seems tough in my position. The programs I've just researched need 8000 hours alone to go anywhere. I don't know if they can actually disburse fulltime positions for newbies, nor if they could actually even take a newbie like me straight from the void.

Well, either way, thanks for the idea. Navy it is!
>>
>>18368435
>i didnt enlist
> dont listen to the guy who did and said go navy or AF
>join the navy or air force

neck yourself civilian
>>
>>18368435
>degree
>automatic officer

non militaryfags, as usual, dont know what they're talking about.
this isnt true. You have to go through officer candidate school after college or rotc in college.

you enlist with a degree you are automatically E-4. Your fellow trainees and the drill sergeants will hate you.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.