[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/ Wondering it there are any computer science majors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Hey /adv/

Wondering it there are any computer science majors here.
How do you like your job? Is it a good field to get into?
>>
>>18352680
Bump. Anyone?
>>
Are you into theoretical cs or rather software developement? If the former, try machine learning
>>
>>18352680
oversaturated so you'll have to work harder on a portfolio, internships, extracurricular activities, and all that good stuff.
>>
>>18352804
keep in mind that when I say oversaturated it's mostly saturated by retards so you don't have to work too hard on that extra stuff, just enough to set you apart.
>>
>>18352778
I'm not sure. Very new to this kind of stuff. I've been wanting to get into cs for awhile, and finally have the time and money to do so. I'm actively looking into it though, that's why I wanted some opinions from people in the field.
>>
>>18352813
Yeah, first create something that's useful for yourself, then opensource it and try to get internships and job with it as your experience.
>>
Software engineer here.

Do you really love computers? Like, are you really curious on how it works? Have ypu ever programmated something before? No matter what, be it a circuit or in some ass old language. Have you even build your own computer?

If so, then go for it. You need a lot of love in technology to be good in this career.

If so fucking tired of people joining the field just because they like to use facebook or because they like their iphones and want to be the nex steve jobs.
>>
>>18353193
I do love computers, built my own plenty of times. The only thing that really bothers me is all the math. People are making it sound so terrible with all of the calc you have to take for it. Definitely not a math person.
>>
>>18353193
Also, any good books you can recommend to get a head start?
>>
>>18353219
Hey, there's no such thing as math person/not math person. Math can be helpful in understanding computers, but isn't ultimately needed. Calculus I'm sure is not required. Just grab some book on algorithms, give SCIP a try - https://mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/full-text/book/book.html

And about practical programming - when you find something that intrigues you - just jump straight into it and code. Good luck
>>
>>18353510
Thanks man. I'll definitely look into that, and practice. Appreciate it.
>>
>>18353219
you might want to look more into a software engineering degree instead of computer science.
>>
>>18353673
Whys that?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.