[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

do antidepressants fuck u up?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

do anti depressants fuck up ur brain, like as in addictive, neurotoxic, etc?

my mom has been a long time abuser of prescription medication, shes recovering now but she isn't the same person. I feel like I can tell her brain has decayed. She took other pills but a big thing was ODing/abusing anti depressants and anti anxiety medicine, and she can't live without them now.

I'm tired of being depressed, it's been like this for several years and has been really fucking bad for a year. I still work, am somewhat productive but I put 100% my energy into work, my room, car, house is a total shithole, when most people would consider me a neat person. I come home and waste time on shitty websites like this until I have to go to bed and work again. My days off I just sleep 12-14 hours. Everything is numb, gray and the days just melt together. total disassociation, feels like shit man

should I stop being a pussy and try anti depressants or is my mom being a major addict a red flag for me to not take them?
>>
Pills are the easy way, mental training is the right way.

You can train yourself and your brain out of a depression but it takes time and willpower.

Of course pills bring side effects, that's the negative side.
>>
>>18351566
just fuck off m8
>>
>>18351541

As always when comes to meds, talk to your doctor. Just tell him that there is tendency to addictions in family and he will take that into account when making decision if it's safe to prescribe you pills.

I'm on antidepressants over a year now, and together with psychotherapy drugs helped me to change lots of things in my life. Medicines may not necessarily fix you, but surely they will give you strength to work on your life and yourself.
>>
I took low-dose citalopram for a couple years

I wasn't addicted but they definitely had an impact on my brain. after all, isn't that the point?

I have really terrible memory of most events from the time that I was using them

they made me able to better cope with my feelings and go about my life but the best way I can describe it is that my stronger emotions were 'drowned', be they good or bad, leaving a feeling of vague placidity in their place

it also killed my sex drive, I didn't regain sexual sensitivity in my penis or erectile function for months and months after I stopped taking it

if I missed a day's dosage, and when I finally quit, I experienced something which I discovered later is called 'brain zaps'. these are like waves of electricity that you can literally feel pass through your brain like a slow-moving static shock. they take you out of the moment and distract you for a second or two. they usually came in groups of two or three and gradually subsided over the weeks/months of not taking the citalopram.
>>
yeah you could come to realise you were happier on drugs than when sober (if this is the case), and you could enjoy "normal sober" life less.
i sure did, but it depends from person to person and depends on state of mind
>>
>>18351541
Saved my life.

Made me quicker, more alert, happier, outgoing once again, hornier, better boners.

Wellbutrin is my nigga

also i agree with>>18352031
>>
>>18351541
They can. They can either help, or they can drive you completely around the bend
>>
>>18351541
Well, they've helped me. I'd go with what >>18352127 said.
>>
>>18351541
Yes. I almost died and spent three years of my life in excruciating withdrawal from SSRI's, Benzos, and GABA analogues that were all perscribed to me by top psychiatrists at Massachusetts General Hospital, one of the most respected psychiatric instutions in the world. I have permanent neurological and muscular damage as a result and won a lawsuit against the instituion and physician for it. The only thing that has helped me maintain my mental health is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and a lot of exercise.
I went to school and studied them afterwards, and the truth is we really don't understand how they work, or what the permanent alterations to the brain are, and their impact on how hormonal systems function is especially concerning. If you do dare to use them, read MERC Manuals, PDRs, and educate yourself, because very few risks will be disclosed to you by medical professionals or package inserts.

There are thousands of people like me out there. Go on youtube and search for antidepressant withdrawal. The videos are endless.
>>
Antidepressants are worthless if you aren't going to a therapist - optimally in the same place as you doctor is.

I'm taking medicine for years and never had any problems. I even changed therapists and then i changed my doctors.
>>
>>18352894
You don't get SSRI withdrawal unless you stop them abruptly or in the case of venlafaxine not on a low dose of a different SSRI in the interim. Benzo withdrawal is dangerous though and if your pdoc took you off of a daily mid-high dose of them without tapering then yeah it will cause issues.
>>
>>18353110
yeah.
I changed my doses all the time I was taking antidepressants (I'm still taking) and I never changed them abruptly.
For example: Let say I as taking 200 of a drug. I would lover it max by 50 and during 2 weeks. So if i would like to go from 200 to 100 I would need a month.
>>
>>18353181
I did it with consultations from my doctor. Sometimes I felt I need more, sometimes I felt I can go down.
>>
Everyone is going to speak from they're own experiences but the reality is there is not any one particular remedy that works for everyone. The most frustrating part is you may need to try several medications and or dosages before finding one that works. You may need to switch doctors to find one that helps.
>>
>>18353110
>You don't get SSRI withdrawal unless you stop them abruptly
This is untrue when they are combined with other compounds, and notice from my first post that I said I was on multiple drugs. The interactions that SSRIs have with other drugs from different classes are not yet fully understood, we just know that soe of them can be incedibly dangerous. For example, Zoloft worsens the effects of clonazepam withdrawal and when taken in conjunction with Pregabalin, can cause seizures that can kill.

>>18353181
>>18353190
what you also need to understand is how different drugs have different half-lifes, and that each person's nervous system responds to foreign compounds differently. Waht may be just fine for one person may kill someone else.
>>
>>18352143
how are you now without celexa? I'm taking 30g /day, but I'm thinking of switching to something or totally getting of ssris period. I've made a lot of progress in my life where I don't really feel depressed or anxious as much anymore. Also side effects like sexual dysfunction are starting to take a toll on me
>>
>>18351541
Yes.
I am not accustomed to being not-depressed. I made stupid decisions with little or no chance of success that I would have normally passed up and ended up wasting a lot of time and money. Maybe if you know how to live not-depressed they're fine but once everything fell apart I just stopped taking them. They did me absolutely no good.
>>
Was on prozac for half a year and then quit cold turkey. This was last year. Could I potentially still be dealing with side effects?
>>
>>18352695
sometimes pills don't work for some people.

i took a genetic test and found out that i could only take pristiq without heavy side effects. butrin made me attempt suicide blah

so OP, maybe you should try but be very very careful
>>
File: 1494638068649.jpg (134KB, 640x639px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1494638068649.jpg
134KB, 640x639px
>>18351541

Antidepressants are not addictive nor are they neurotoxic. They have side effects such as sexual dysfunction (usually a hard time getting orgasms for men), increased bowl movements during the first few weeks, sometimes changes in heart electrical conduction (may be serious), blood chemistry changes, etc. Severe depression however is even riskier, especially when people enter the spiral of not eating, seeing others, low hygiene, suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts, etc. They can also interact with other drugs/meds. It's a matter of discussing the risks and benefits with your doctor and creating an action plan together. They are never to be used in self medication as they demand proper medical surveillance. Antidepressants work best when associated with psychotherapy however.

Anti-anxiety meds however are easily addictive, can often provoke overdoses, induce memory changes when used continuously for years or decades, etc. Most work on the same brain receptors as alcohol. They can be useful at times but have a worse profile in terms of risks/benefits especially with people who are prone to addictions.
>>
>>18352894
1. Benzos and "gaba analogues" are anxiolytics used for EMERGENCY situations in extremee panic or anxiety, not depression. They should never be used more than 8 weeks at a time as 50% of users will get addicted.
2. SSRI/SNRI withdrawal only happens only if you quit cold turkey. Anti depressants are not addictive. Take double or triple the dose of Buproprion and you'll get a seizure. Not so nice, right?

>>18353110
Venlafaxine is an SNRI though and can cause toxic reactions combined with certain SSRI. The same story why you shouldn't mix Wellbutrin with Paroxetine. But I agree with you.

OP, it's all about finding the right medication, mix and dosage. Talk about it with your psych. IMPORTANT: FIND A GOOD PSYCH.

>t. tired and overworked forensics student
>>
>>18351541
I'm severely fucked up without meds but I do not abuse the meds. I am someone who has panic attacks daily that cause me to dry heave and throw up from all the stress my body is out under from the panic attacks. I also have very bad paranoid thoughts off meds. My symptoms are a combinations of being abused as a child and genetic predisposition. Don't listen to these dumb asses who say you can change yourself without meds. Real mental disorders that are severe cannot be 'cured' with excercising and dieting. I tried being med free for years by eating Healthy and excercising many times a week it did not work. Some people are actually insane without medical intervention so if you have severe issues meds are worth trying.
>>
>>18355246
I am aware it's an SNRI but it was the best example I had for something that sucks balls to get off of even slowly and disregarding any interactions taking a small dose of fluoxetine for a couple weeks while stopping effexor helps with the discontinuation syndrome and yeah you don't mix bupropion with any med that's metabolized by CYP2D6 with the exception being in much smaller doses.

>>18354432
I still have persistent anhedonia despite stopping the medication that caused it 4 years ago.
>>
>>18355246
>1. Benzos and "gaba analogues" are anxiolytics used for EMERGENCY situations in extremee panic or anxiety, not depression. They should never be used more than 8 weeks at a time as 50% of users will get addicted.
Top psychiatrists from a world renowned hospital pit me on combinations of them when I was 14 and had me on them for many months. I am currently engaged in a lawsuit with them.
>2. SSRI/SNRI withdrawal only happens only if you quit cold turkey. Anti depressants are not addictive. Take double or triple the dose of Buproprion and you'll get a seizure. Not so nice, right?
Everyone here knows exactly what they're talking about right?
>>
>>18355804
>giving a 14 year old anxiolytics and anti depressants
No they didn't unless you were an immediate suicide risk.
>>
>>18356124
>No they didn't unless you were an immediate suicide risk.
I wasn't, just had a fuckload of really bad ticks and was nervous as hell. I was given lexopro and Seraquil at age 8 and age 10 as well. You have no clue how fucked this shit is man.
>>
You're on /adv/ so this probably doesn't apply, but if you have an active sex life antidepressants will fuck it up. Prozac has ruined sex for me, I can get it up and stay that way, but it takes me more than 2 hours to cum. Bad meme.
>>
File: 1495743358849.jpg (28KB, 491x387px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1495743358849.jpg
28KB, 491x387px
>>18356124
I was giventhem since I was 11 (I'm 20 now), they give that shit out like candy. It's gotten even easier to get them nowadays.

>>18356548
They fuck your dick up bad, just about the only time I can cum is wet dreams. My gf loves the sex though lol
>>
I've been on Zoloft for four years and thought I should try getting off of it because my anxiety was almost completely gone. I tried three times to get off of it, but the brain zaps as mentioned by >>18352143 were so intense that I went back to taking them every time. After tapering down to 6mg, I'm now off of them with minimal brain zaps on my 4th try. However, my anxiety never really left, it was just masked by the medicine the whole time. I'm super panicky and have self doubt about all my choices and my relationships that I never had when I was on my medicine
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.