[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

College Troubles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_7175.jpg (37KB, 338x328px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_7175.jpg
37KB, 338x328px
Right now I'm attending a CC. I'm on my second year. During my first I fucked around not knowing what my major was and went with one that my parent's suggested because I'm "smart." Turns out I wasn't fond of it, failed numerous classes (failed a class three times, dropped out of another, have only received two As). I switched to a new major. I'm doing better than before, but not as much as I should. Lately I've skipped a lot of classes (it has gotten worse over time) one of which I believe I was unofficially removed from which has fucked with my financial aid (but my parents don't know). My parents, who are tired of my shit, want to know if I will graduate this year if ever. I apparently need 63 credits and have 31 right now. I was planning of transferring but I don't know where to go or if I even can. I feel so unmotivated and pathetic and scared. I look around at other family and friends and realize how much of a failure I am.

Please help. How fucked am I? Can I transfer/graduate? Can I get my professor to remove the "unofficial drop?" What should I do?
>>
>unmotivated
I can tell. It sounds like your parents didn't really give you a chance to settle into your own before enrolling you into college. You're not pathetic, you're just overwhelmed right now. I don't blame you, it's a lot to take on all at once. If you're not studying something you want to do (or something that'll apply to what you want to do) in life, then you're wasting your time and theirs. Not the mention the financial shit which ultimately parents shouldn't care about more than your happiness/wellbeing.

You know who you are. What do you like to do in your spare time? What do you see yourself doing in 5 years? What task could you imagine yourself waking up everyday and being totally OK with doing? Feels like thats a good place to start but when it works, I'll let /ad/ know.
>>
>>18153126
>It sounds like your parents didn't really give you a chance to settle into your own before enrolling you into college.
No, not really. I kept being told to find a four year school that matched my interests but was affordable. My parents do work really hard to maintain our standard of living, but it wasn't enough and I couldn't find a place in time so I settled for community college. I knew what major I wanted but was met with skepticism (Visual Arts) and told to go with Engineering. I do feel like a lot of this is my fault though. I should've gotten a job and scholarships to lessen the load. Too busy wasting time listening to everyone who said "don't worry, you still have time." I don't know what to do now.
>>
>>18153206
>Still have time
Technically, you do. I've noticed that we tend to think of college as this finite goal that can only be accomplished during a certain time in your life and then after that, you miss your window. It's just not true. You have the rest of your life to go back to school, or drop out of school, or do whatever you want to. Honestly though, I think that might've been sound advice about the visual arts thing BUT I will say this-- people have stereotypes of each major and sometimes those stereotypes are wrong. Every actor in Hollywood constantly brings up positivity and determination, because everytime you tell someone "I want to be an actor" or "I want to be an artist" you hear "Thats stupid! You'll never make it! Its a hard field! There's no jobs!" etc. If everyone listened to those criticisms, those fields would be desolate wastelands and art would cease to exist because everyone got disheartened at some point by a bitter asshole at a frat party. "Doing what you love", on the other hand, doesn't always prove the most reliable source of income in the future. Engineering is a tough degree to do just for shits and giggles. The only people who make it through that degree are the ones with a SERIOUS passion for that kind of shit and even then, its about 50/50 because most drop out anyways. You have to have grit to stick it out in whatever you choose. It has to mean that much to you in order to satisfy these particular concerns, but in my opinion you don't have much to worry about in the moment. If you don't like that you don't work, you can get a job. If you don't like the financial situation, you can work something out with your parents. If you think you're not ready to continue your education, you need to tell them that so they can save the money they're spending while you wait and figure that out. They won't be thrilled but they'll appreciate how mature your concerns are.
>>
>>18153206
Also I will say this--

If I had a dime for everytime I heard one of my friends in high school say "I'm going into engineering because that's where the money is!" I'd be a goddamn millionaire. My mom works in that field and she's the one who told me to wait to go to school until I found an alternative. The jobs are being shipped overseas at an ALARMING rate. Even her low level tech jobs are being outsourced. The future for that industry looks bleak as fuck for American workers. If I were you, I'd look into the job growth of the thing you love before studying it at length. People claim "STEM" is growing but NASA has been facing the threat of budget cuts as well. Gotta keep tabs on things like that because you'll spend thousands on a degree in a dying field and then end up working a job that doesn't even require a degree to pay off the student loan debt!
>>
>>18153072
College isn't for everybody.

Note I did NOT say you're not good enough for college. College is designed to give certain learning to certain kinds of people. College may not be good enough for you.

There are many respectable high-paying careers that do not require college, and there are many paths other than college to them.

What do YOU want to be when you grow up? Do you really need college to get there?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.