[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, very quick question: is it worth going to a psychologist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 434839.jpg (44KB, 960x723px) Image search: [Google]
434839.jpg
44KB, 960x723px
Hey /adv/, very quick question: is it worth going to a psychologist to work out some issues without wanting to be medicated?
I have some problems, which i talked about with a friend and he suggested going to a psychologist to get meds but i'm afraid of going on meds because it could fuck me up mentally
>not American
>>
>>18146518
Why is there always a stigma about taking meds. Do you treat antibiotics the same way? Cough syrup?
It is a way to help treat an illness, that's it
>>
What kind of symptoms do you have?, not all meds are that bad or sometimes you won´t get secondary effects from them.
>>
>>18146518
Not all shrinks impose meds on you. In fact most would rather use talking to get you through your problems, and only turn to meds when the patient demands quick fixes.
>>
>>18146518
>is it worth going to a psychologist to work out some issues without wanting to be medicated?

Is it preventing you from functioning in day to day life? If it does, tell a doctor and ask what he recommends.

Secondly, unmedicated therapy only works if you are willing to change, capable of trust and if you wish to alleviate your distress, you'll have to be able to share honestly and not be a control freak. In other words, your issues can't be too severe.
>>
>>18146518
Never think of doctors as gods who can do no wrong. Many are money hungry shills who don't even know what's in the drugs they prescribe you, let alone whether it's actually suitable for you. Why else do you think there are more deaths from meds than from illegal narcotics?
>>
>>18146543
Anxiety, self-loathing, suicidal thoughts, loneliness and the occasional mood swings. Some of them, i can kinda see where they come from, some of them not. Besides, meds wouldn't be cheap and 3 therapy sessions would almost cost half the scholarship/mo
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.