[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

I am studying to be a Private Investigator but what they are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (87KB, 630x479px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 630x479px
I am studying to be a Private Investigator but what they are teaching me is pure garbage. I am interested in more technology based investigation and of a lot of which I already know. There are more complicated things that maybe people here can give some advice on.

Let's say there is a criminal selling stolen goods on Kijiji and Craigslist one at a time. You monitor his ads and notice that slowly he is offloading things and at that pace he will take a year to get rid of everything BUT then he stops. So obviously he offloaded the good earlier. How would you investigate the previously sold goods if you have his email and phone number. Search engine cache is long gone and obviously you can't get a court order because you are a PI and can't go to police without more evidence. What else can you do legally as a PI?

Also lets say this criminal has a Facebook account but it is private and you can only see his image. You try friending him but get denied. Reverse image doesn't turn up any other leads on his facebook profile pic and doesn't seem to have other online prescence BUT is obviously using aliases. What else can you do?

This topic can also be turned it information sharing for other PI here if others have anything to add to help each other out.
>>
>>18090401
Maybe acquire some certifications in digital forensics?
>>
There is very little you can do as a PI other than gather information, and even then, you have to gather it in a way that doesn't invalidate it as evidence if it does become a criminal case. They've probably taught you that at some point in your course, but you clearly think you know better than them and weren't listening.

Also stop romanticising a pretty useless job. PIs spend their time investigating cheating spouses, not busting major criminals
>>
>>18090409
That is part of our education but the information given is at least 10-15 years old. They hardly talk about social media.

>>18090419
Ok, so let's say some housewife thinks her husband is a drug addict that steals and sell junk on classified for drug money and then goes and bangs a hooker. The OP would be relevant.
>>
>>18090475
>Ok, so let's say some housewife thinks her husband is a drug addict that steals and sell junk on classified for drug money and then goes and bangs a hooker. The OP would be relevant.
Not really, that's beyond your jurisdiction. No one thinks "I suspect my husband's engaging in illegal activity, better call a PI!"
>>
>>18090483
Well this is just made up stories. The lessons learned are more important then what I am saying in this story.
>>
>>18090496
There's no point in making up shit that's never going to happen.

I get that you want to be some sort of secret spy who gets the bad guys in the end, but that's not what you're going to end up doing, not in a million years. This course you're doing is absolutely pointless too, PIs these days are almost always ex-cops and ex-detectives whose 'education' is years of practical experience.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.