[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/adv/ I cant decide if I should major in math and physics or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

/adv/ I cant decide if I should major in math and physics or major in math and minor in philosophy? what should i do to help me figure out how to make this important decision?
>>
>>18087210
take some intro philosophy classes and see if you enjoy it. I minored in philosophy to help me write better papers and take tests. It helps me with my current work as well since it is highly analytical..
>>
>>18087210
Philosophy is garbage. Yes its interesting, but its worthless. My brother majored in it and now him and half his class flip burgers.

Stick to STEM building blocks.
>>
>>18087210
I've attended lectures in most STEM fields and a fair few humanities (protip: you can literally just walk in and usually ppl don't give a shit) Philosophy isn't something you can't just read on in your own time, and the one on one sessions are apparently not much better than drunken DMC.
>>
math and physics for sure. you can totally read philosophy in your own time. even more employable would be physics and CS. Math is fun and all but not respected (nor as employable) as much as Physics or CS
>>
>>18087577

though take the honors sequence of real analysis if you can. Most of the other upper div math classes feel like fluff in comparison
>>
>>18087222
>Philosophy is garbage. Yes its interesting, but its worthless.
I know, but along with the math i feel like it would be a good break
>>
>>18087577
Is Physics even more employable than Math in the finance market? My dream is to eventually become a prof, but I want to know if my options are open if that fails
>>
>>18087654
>>18087222
Philosophy should just be a minor or a co-major. It's a very small degree and not hard to get. I wouldnt say it's worthless though. The direction and choices of your whole life flow from your value system and grip on basic belief systems. There's been a ton of people who were engineers or scientists who got themselves killed over things like religion. It's amazing the extent people can compartmentalize knowledge and end up wasting their lives on beliefs in ghosts and gnomes.
>>
>>18087656
I've mostly seen Maths and Engineering graduates go into finance. Those jobs seem to be looking for people who can solve differential/difference equations, Physics doesn't prepare you for that.
>>
>>18087731

I'm an applied math major. I've talked to banks hiring in finance. They respect physics more than math. As a math major we learn how to derive and prove really complicated theories, but we don't get that much experience (as undergrads) with implementation. Physics majors can work in labs where all they do is implement dif EQs in Matlab and what not. That's way more employable. If you want to go into finance in a math capacity you'll be expected to know your probability theory and differential equations very well. But from a strictly brainy pov, physics is respected more bc they have more experience with modeling.
>>
>>18087210
Major in physics and minor in both math and philosophy
>>18087656
Yes, there are a fair number of physics majors in finance. It has both the strong math base and incorporates abstract reasoning. Physics majors are also prized as analysts by alphabet soup agencies in DC
>>
File: hobbes.jpg (89KB, 729x768px) Image search: [Google]
hobbes.jpg
89KB, 729x768px
>>18087210
Hello OP, I'm a philosophy grad, hope I can help you with this

I did just philosophy (in the UK btw, and we choose "majors" before we start uni), but I had people on my course who did philosophy and physics, and one guy who did philosophy and maths.

Let me tell you where we've all ended up:

Me: Web developer (I did some computer science modules in my first year), but currently NEET
One guy who did philosophy & physics: Did a masters in "sustainable development in the third world" or something and I think he might work for a charity now
Other guy who did philosophy & physics: Did a physics masters
Guy who did philosophy & maths: I think he became a maths teacher

My recommendation to you would STRONGLY be this: think about your employability. PERSONALLY, I *desperately* wish I had done a STEM subject; taking web dev courses at uni was my best compromise. I wasn't able to take any actual STEM shit at university, because I hadn't done STEM in my last two years of school (which was a stupid mistake).

But it's up to what you think you will go into. I notice people here are saying "you can do philosophy in your spare time", and that is true I suppose. If you do STEM subjects you instantly have lucrative skills that engineering companies will hire you for. If you do philosophy, then you have to work a bit harder to sell that to an employer, because the skills are less obvious.

I always used to say on this subject "take STEM, because it will make you employable; philosophy is fucking useless". But actually I think that's just what 4chan has made me think. In reality, a humanities degree *does* make you employable, just in different things of course. Like I said, one of those people works for a charity now. Here are some other things my classmates have gone on to do: law conversion course; journalist in a major national newspaper; working at an ad agency; working at a catering company; another teacher; working at National Rail.

(contd)
>>
File: 1479189479156.jpg (41KB, 277x351px) Image search: [Google]
1479189479156.jpg
41KB, 277x351px
>>18087222
>shaping your mind is worthless garbage
>>
>>18087210
Here's an easy way to do it.

>Do you want a job in the field?
They both are very different.

>do you want a job?
Then don't go to college or be a code monkey.
>>
File: my greek nigga.jpg (245KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
my greek nigga.jpg
245KB, 800x1000px
>>18087210
>>18087654
Continuation from here: >>18087782

I mean yeah, the main question is, what do you want to do.

In a very real sense, STEM gives you very bankable skills that you will have for your entire life. Meanwhile I just have a philosophy degree, which is sort of useless, and the few modules in computer science I did. So part of me does want to say to you that you should stick to maths & physics. As I say, I desperately wish I had done STEM. I could have got a sweet, well-paid job as a mechanical engineer or something. As it is, I've been a web dev, which is WAY less cool, not as well paid, way more nerdy, and just generally way less prestigious.

But philosophy can be good. Emmanuel Macron, currently favourite to be the next French President, studied philosophy. If you have your heart set on something like public service, philosophy can be a good degree for that. Philosophy teaches you how to debate well, really. That can be useful, even if you do become an engineer, especially if you aspire to become a leader. Employers might well see it as something that makes you more well rounded.

I used to say to my friend who was contemplating this same thing; if you do philosophy, you will only be able to go into non-STEM jobs. Whereas if you do STEM, you'll be able to go into ANY job; the STEM jobs *and* the non-STEM jobs.

From that perspective, I think STEM probably is a shrewder bet. It does depend on your personality; if you have your heart set on being a politician, or a marketing person, or to work in media, or to be a journalist, or to be a teacher, then philosophy would probably be better; but given that you are definitely taking maths and/or physics, I'm guessing you're a STEM-type person.

What are you thinking that you probably want to go into?
>>
File: propositional logic.jpg (44KB, 503x415px) Image search: [Google]
propositional logic.jpg
44KB, 503x415px
>>18087787
Philosophy grad here, and if you don't have a plan of how you're going to make money with your philosophy degree (e.g. you want to be a teacher, a lawyer [but that requires extra study, and you should just do law in that case], something else humanities related), then DON'T DO A PHILOSOPHY DEGREE. IT'S A WASTE OF MONEY. AND TIME. AND YOUR ONE CHANCE TO GO TO UNIVERSITY.

STEM will give you much more bankable skills I guess. Much more solid skills. That you will *always* have. Yes philosophy does give you skills too, argumentative skills, writing skills. It really does depend on what you want to go into.

I think I'm biased towards STEM because I am a technical person, and doing a philosophy degree made me realise that (I took every module I could in formal logic; it's like algebra, but for arguments. Pic related.)

But if you're an outgoing sort of person, or you have your heart set on a job that involves arguing, or debating, those sort of people skills or soft skills, then philosophy can be a good degree. Teacher, lawyer*, marketing person, politician, etc.

*I think in the US, law can ONLY be taken as a postgrad thing, right? In which case then philosophy would be a good undergrad I guess. But if you can take law for undergrad (like you can in the UK), then literally go for that, because otherwise you are adding MASSIVE expense, and time, by delaying your law study to postgrad level. E.g. someone on my philosophy course, he's now doing the conversion course for law, but he doesn't get any student loans for that. He should have just done law for undergrad, which his student loan would have covered.
>>
>>18087797
>What are you thinking that you probably want to go into?
Graduate studies and then academia hopefully. I'm Canadian so the job market still isnt that bad for academic jobs, or so I hear, since the population is just generally smaller than the US and UK.
>>
>>18087806
>academia
Interesting. That's not something I've ever wanted to go into, but some people are attracted to that to be fair, and I knew people who went from my degree into doing a masters in philosophy, and being philosophy tutors.

What area of academia? And will you be able to go into that area of academia if you have only minored in it?
>>
>>18087210
Theres an actual other thread right now I just saw where a philosophy fag unleashed caps theory warning not to take philosophy so.. There you go.

Your program will likely require some arts electives. Take philosophy to fill those credits if youre so interested.

Or you can take poli sci as your art. Then you can join me on any and all political debates on 4chan and cringe at both sides of the spectrum and how wrong they have absolutely everything.
>>
>>18087855
Philosophy grad here, that wasn't me, but as I've said in this thread, STEM probably is a better idea because

Also I did some political philosophy at uni, that was one of my favourite areas, but I don't think it really enlightens you to politics that much. Most of the political philosophy I read was either ancient stuff that talked about politics in pretty vague terms (Plato), or it talked about really fucking specific issues that I didn't give a shit about (Nozick, Rawls, those cunts)

However, my favourite political philosophy is definitely Hobbes (shown here: >>18087782), because I think his view of the state of nature is bang on, and I think his view of society as a social contract is bang on as well. And his analysis of rights is spot on too - you have your natural rights (your ability to do whatever it is physically possible to do, like kill a man, or rape people, whatever), and by living within a society, you are tacitly agreeing to forego some of those rights so that some of your other rights, determined by the state (property rights, or your right to live without being killed by someone else), can be protected by the state.

Basically Hobbes is the most redpilled philosopher of all time, in my book.
>>
>>18087930
>STEM probably is a better idea because
Guess I forgot to finish my damn sentence

Because it gives you more job options. I'd only really recommend philosophy as a degree if they're dead set on being a journalist or a politician or a marketing person. It's an interesting and fulfilling course, yes, but a STEM degree is probably far more useful and can open way more doors to you. You can still be a journalist if you have a STEM degree. But you can't be a mechanical engineer with a philosophy degree. Just isn't possible.
>>
>>18087841
Well I want to go into math or physics, but I am interested in philosophy because I'm interested in the foundations of math/model theory
>>
>>18087930
Yeah I can see that. I did political science though. Modern stuff.

Why is there war? Why hasnt there been a war as big as WWII since? What are paradigms (subjective person to person world views)? Why isnt anyone acting on climate change? What is balance of power?

That kind of stuff. Simple enough to google but the more you go in depth the more you realise how useless and showey all the tv political debates are and how little the public actually knows.

And why it isnt all some big conspiracy but just the way it has to be.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.