[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

So I work in production and my line is being told it needs to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 20170225_142934.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20170225_142934.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
So I work in production and my line is being told it needs to raise output by 33% while our materials quality drops

None of the engineers seem to have a real solution on how to make it happen other than work more hours

What do I do to fight this/should I jump ship and find a new job
>>
If you can think of a solution come up with a presentation and you will be looked at for the next promotion as long as your company doesnt have a nepotism problem. Otherwise your bosses are retards who want to get blood from a stone and this will be the first of many problems like this.
>>
If it were easy, anyone could do it
>>
>>18084767
It's seemed to me like the blood from a stone theory. The line was only designed for 10 units a week. We were doing 10 a day when I started and I helped bring it up to 20. Now they want 30 with no excuses

They keep hiring minority immigrants and I'm pretty sure I work in a sweat shop but have no way out to better/similar wages
>>
File: 20170128_101442.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
20170128_101442.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
So I've been working here for a year, think there's any chance of getting a better job if I leave?
>>
>>18084781
Are you sure you're an engineer? Because you don't seem to understand percentages very well.

If there are more hours that the line can run, then obviously this is not asking for blood from a stone. That's a real solution. If they're expecting that everyone work longer hours without extra pay, or you (and other employees) don't want to work those longer hours because it will degrade your quality of life, then say no. Management can hire more people to run an extra shift or whatever.

If they're asking that necessary maintenance be skipped, I would point that out and that management is fucking stupid. Being somewhere that is mismanaged is ALWAYS a cue that you should look for another job. You can try to fix what's wrong, but that requires that someone up the chain isn't a dipshit and will understand and permit things to be fixed.
>>
>>18084843
I'm a production worker not an engineer 33% was just something I was told

We already work 9 hour shifts and to squeeze out 10 more units a day would mean constant 12hr shifts or more. We don't want to do that but management says we HAVE to get 30 a day from now on. So it's basically meet the new number requirement or get on the chopping block

There's got to be some way to protect myself or get compensation for getting fired if it comes to that. I've been joking about unionizing to a couple people but I doubt that'd really happen
>>
>>18084861
Going from 20 to 30 is a 50% increase, not a 33% increase.

You didn't bother to say where you live and your math skills suck balls, so I assume somewhere in the USA. A lot of states permit employers to require employees to work an unlimited amount of hours, as long labor laws are being followed (e.g. cannot demand you work through legally mandated break times), wages are paid properly (cannot demand you work for free, and pay overtime if required), and it is not negligent of safety.

If they want to only hire people that are willing to work 15 hours a day, and your location permits it, then that's their right. It's likely that they will have to pay into unemployment for anyone they fire who refuses to do this though, because requesting that someone routinely work that much is not reasonable.

What they're likely to find though is that they're going to lose good workers and only keep shitty ones who can't find another job. That they've apparently signaled that sacrificing quality to increase production is ok, you already know this place is on a downward slide.

You should be looking for another job.

In the meantime, why not unionize? This is exactly the sort of situation where unionization is useful. Contact a labor organizer if you need help.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.