[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job Application Bullshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 3

File: Man.jpg (9KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
Man.jpg
9KB, 300x250px
I recently finished school and am going through the hell of applying for jobs. But I haven't gotten any responses, and I don't really know what the fuck I'm doing wrong.

I'm a physics major with math and economics minors, so I've been applying to technical positions. And I've been thinking to myself "These are technical people who aren't going to be impressed by bullshit," so I've kept my resume very short and sweet. My degree, my minors, other subjects that I have experience with and the corresponding credit hours (chemistry and computer science), and one sentence saying I can learn independently, work by myself or with groups, communicate clearly and comfortable, and have a strong analytical mind. It's a short resume, but I think that's really all that's relevant to the work I'd be doing.

Was I wrong? Should I be piling on the bullshit after all, writing a couple of paragraphs about what a smart, amazing, hard-working person I am, even though literally any idiot can write all of that and nobody can prove otherwise? Should I be listing all the activities I've done that have nothing to do with the jobs I'm applying to?

If I was looking for people to hire, I would just be annoyed at all of that and see it as wasting my time. But is this the kind of bullshit that employers want to see?
>>
I'm gonna give you a protip without the life story of experience: Get the fuck out of the chemistry major if you're not a woman or a minority.
>>
Bump...
>>
my sister applied to 700 jobs and now makes 80k a year, the application process is indeed hell, and it took her two years to find a job.

just don't give up
>>
>>18079072

I don't have a chemistry major or even a minor. Just 15 credit hours. Anyway, I'm done with school, at least for the next few years, so it's not a question of getting out of anything.
>>
Do you have ANY work experience at all, or is it just a bunch about what you've studied?
>>
>>18079080
also if you haven't done any internships and are in some sort of STEM field, you're fucked.

the easiest way to get work experience is as a student.
>>
>>18079033
You have to realize that in a lot of places, the first stop for resumes is HR, and HR are almost never technical people.

Having a bunch of puffed up bullshit on a resume is not necessarily going to be useful, but if there's nothing there that indicates that you might have the aptitude for doing the job, that's bad.

Are you including a cover letter specific to the job you're applying for? Your cover letter can be your argument as to why it would be worthwhile to have you come in for an interview.
>>
>>18079082

I worked at a science summer camp for kids teaching the very basics of programming, and I worked the counter at a shop at a golf course, and I worked as lifeguard.

But no, I have no experience doing any kind of real 'technical' work outside the classroom.

Like I said, I didn't even include any of those jobs on my resume because I didn't think anyone would give a shit that I know how to swim.
>>
>>18079096
>Like I said, I didn't even include any of those jobs on my resume because I didn't think anyone would give a shit that I know how to swim.
You'd be wrong. If you're right out of school, they need some sort of proof that you're a reliable employee. It doesn't matter that it's not relevant to the jobs you're applying for, you should be putting these jobs down.

Honestly, it sounds like you need to scrap your ideas of what they're looking for in your resume and start again.
>>
>>18079099

Does it matter that the only boss I had that might even remember me was the science camp one? I barely even interacted with the other two, so if they call them asking for a reference or something, I don't know what they would say.
>>
File: 1487128312579.png (115KB, 850x800px) Image search: [Google]
1487128312579.png
115KB, 850x800px
My resume looked like complete shit out of college. I didn't realize it either. Make sure you have someone who knows their stuff review it. Also, consider software development if you haven't already. It's what I transitioned into. Relatively easy to code some stuff up and stick it on GitHub for padding resume and talking points.
>>
>>18079118
I don't think so. They need your permission to contact your references, and even when interviewers have asked me if it's okay to, they never did actually contact my references.

To summarise what you need to do:
>flesh our your resume
>add in your work experience
>consider adding in a key skills section at the start, and perhaps an achievements section to highlight your accomplishments
>>
One trick that MIGHT work, a professor once told me he tells his student to submit a CV(when applicable) with key words in white text near the bottom so its invisible. He says some companies use a sort of program to filter applications that include key words. They pick those to read.

Also, he said to write your CV as a sort of questionnaire response to the "requirements". Like if it says "needs to lift 50 lbs, good communications". You can write."I am a good communicator that is capable of lifting 50 lbs". Make it flow though.

I too like to keep it short and sweet. My resume includes 3 positions I've held with little descriptions. Then I have a "other experience" where I just list off places.

Last tip, fake it till you make it. Everybody lies on the resume. Lies in the interview. Lies in their experience, responsibilities, or goals. Make up how you see yourself as an associate director or whatever within the company in 5 years. How you like to bike ride and run a little league team in your spare time.

Best of luck
>>
HR is going to filter you based on keywords. Make sure your resume not only includes important terms from the position you're applying for, but is formatted to be easily uploaded into a plain text field. Hiring managers don't get a stack of designed resumes on their desk anymore, they get the pre-screened stuff and an application that the system let through.

You should pad your resume with something that gives you depth as an employee. We're not hiring robots, and often the things you need to do for a job are outside of your job description upon applying. The more you know, the better.

I hire people in tech for a Fortune 500 company if that helps.
>>
One more question. If I completely update my resume, can I submit it again to placed I already submitted my old one to? Or is that a no-no?
>>
>>18079199
Generally wait 3 months before re applying to the same place.
>>
>>18079199
The worst they can do is say no again
>>
>>18079087
why would I be fucked if i am a STEM major and I want to be a front end developer, I have a unrelated desk job and learned the languages the job I want requires. I should be able to find a job doing that when I finish.
>>
>>18079268
It's because for every STEM major who doesn't have relevant experience, there are plenty of others who do. STEM fields are very competitive because of the sheer number of graduates, and you need relevant experience (among other things) to stand out. I mean, who would you hire, assuming everything else is equal: someone who has relevant work experience, or someone who has no relevant experience?
>>
>>18079126
Not OP, but looking for a developer job. So I put like 3 programming assignments from each course that I took in which I did work from a different programming language. I included in the assignment sheet on the github with each program. Some have the program description in the code if I couldn't find the assignment sheet from 2 years ago. They aren't exactly complex programs 100 or so lines, max 200 lines. Working on learning REACT and building a web App and I build my own personal site with html5, less, and boostrap, jquery.

How does this sound, good, bad, meh?
>>
>>18079317
Wait, you're actually putting your code in your application?
>>
>>18079322
no it's on my github. My application will have a link to my personal website and probably a link to my github. My personal sit also has a link to my github.

lul Ima just put a c++ program on my resume
>>
>>18079283
really, they said in America the tech sector is short on jobs. Projected growth on the us labor and stats site is one of the highest, if not the highest. So if I have a github, the skills the employers want, a degree, and an unrelated desk job I worked to put myself through college. These things wont be good enough?
>>
>>18079336
>they said in America the tech sector is short on jobs.
That's not necessarily true, and even if it was, graduates' expectations of the sort of job they could land are a lot higher than they should be. Lots of people get into STEM because they hear of people landing 6 figure salaries right out of school, and they won't accept anything less when they finish. STEM is not a ticket to wealth and a life of luxury like it was 15 years ago.

>Projected growth on the us labor and stats site is one of the highest, if not the highest
That's because the industry is growing. But that doesn't mean the jobs are available when you need them to be available.
>>
>>18079351
I just want to make like 40k a year, 50k and im more than happy with that starting salary. I grew up with a life of wealth and luxury, dont give a shit about that. Just trying to live on my own, not trying to get married and have kids.

>That's because the industry is growing. But that doesn't mean the jobs are available when you need them to be available.

the fuck does this mean? There are not entry level positions for junior developers?
>>
>>18079355
>the fuck does this mean? There are not entry level positions for junior developers?
Take a look for yourself >>18078508

Again, a degree alone does not guarantee you a job. You need to do what you can to make yourself as employable as possible, and you need to do what you can to make yourself better than the other candidates
>>
>>18079361

oh lol helpdesk, yeah no shit. that guy is right help desk jobs are not what you want and anyone can do it.

Fucking kid took calculus and programming courses to do a help desk job? All he had to do was work for help desk while getting his CS degree at his college. Ton of kids do that at my college. Then again I wouldn't do a CS degree to do helpdesk, should have just done programming. A front end dev with 5 years experience is mid-senior level and make like 100k in nyc.

Do you have a CS degree or work in any field of IT? Networking jobs and system admin stuff have that barrier to entry. The senior title in those fields requires much more years put in than the developers do.
>>
File: 1486506562286.jpg (68KB, 600x782px) Image search: [Google]
1486506562286.jpg
68KB, 600x782px
>>18079317
I wouldn't dump assignments from classes. Doesn't really show initiative (that you care for development outside of required work) and it isn't impressive to look at either. Definitely setup that personal site though and web app. GitHub has free hosting services too so if you want to show off something you made using React or some other JS framework, it's easy to do.

From my personal experience, the majority of employees won't even bother clicking on a live link to your site, but it's still probably worth it to host one. Make the front page as flashy and cool and pretty and interactive as possible. They likely won't spend more than a minute exploring it. Same for GitHub, no one wants to read someone else's code. They'll probably check your commit history or maybe ask you to point out something cool later on.

Make sure to list the languages/framework/tools you used next to the project in your resume and a couple of bullet points of the most impressive technical shit that you accomplished. Like I said before, it's just there to pad things out, show that you have a little experience, and for talking points during an interview.
>>
>>18079490
I don't have any other projects other than my class assignments. Shit I kind of ran with a minimalist design for my site too. The web app probably won't be done for 4 weeks and I want to start applying next week.
>>
>>18079542
Unless you have money problems or have a huge gap in your history, I'd finish the web app first. I don't know what you majored in or how much personal programming experience you have but the more you can prepare, the better. Definitely read a book like CTCI for interview and negotiation and other advice.
>>
>>18079033
Took me 7 months to find a job as new grad, went to a company hiring fair that i already sent my resume too. I guess my advice is show up in person, let them see you vs just sending out your resume everywhere.
>>
>>18079033
All state and government jobs take a long time to hire. You can get a low level intro job easy then jump up or be a student assistant ect. Most managers I've seen stated as an assistant for 6 moths to a year then mentally jacked off some bosses to get huge promotions.
>>
>>18079072
Can confirm that there are no jobs for white males who majored in chemistry.
>>
>>18079594
I'm current employed in an unrelated field that I've had for years and I don't have money problems. I just want to make sure I get a job before I graduate. I don't care about salary as long as i can live on my own off of it.
>>
>>18080114
I've heard that New Orleans has good prospects for STEM majors. Whereas STEM majors need to go above and beyond to beat out the competition by getting things like 3-4 computer languages, 1.5 years of related interning, and 4-5 publications in competitive places like LA, Houston, NYC, Atlanta, and every other affluent city, the competition in New Orleans is so low that STEM majors can definitely find 40-50k jobs there.
>>
>>18080165
I was actually trying to target Utah, it looks like they could use some web devs there. I talked to a guy on reddit who said he moved to utah for work. He named a few consultancy that hire jr's and said it may only take a phone interview to get the job. I've been preparing for interviews for the past 6 weeks. My only issue is the lack of relevant work experience. As well as my github only having classwork on it, aside from my personal site. Several job postings eve listed knowing git as something preferred not even required, so im assuming they might not expect a portfolio of side projects.
>>
>>18079336
Hahahaha where have you been? That "growth" is coming from the same people trying to tell you the economy is great and the job market has recovered.

Here's the thing. For developer jobs you should be fluent (not just know) several languages on top of having a solid portfolio. The same is true for any otger stem career. If you don't have extensive experience you're overlooked because there are 20 applicants better than you. Not to mention that employers can just advertise a job opening even though it'll get filled by Pajeet and poo crew.
>>
>>18080795
Alright well I guess I'll find out next week then if I wasted my money on college and should have just joined the army. I have no other idea what to do for work. I'll pretty make a thread to put out a beacon to you guys to let you know how it went.
>>
>>18081009
Let us know how it goes anon.

I mean good luck maybe you can make it, but most of us either went turbo neet or retail cuck.
>>
>>18081035
I'd rather be dead than work in retail or deal with customers like that. It's not like I have no work exp. on my resume, I worked for the past few years at the same desk job to pay for school...just not relevant exp to front end dev. If I can't find a decent job in this field Im so fucked it's not even funny.
>>
>>18081049
First of all, you don't need relevant work experience to get a job. It helps, but it's not always necessary. Secondly, if you need a job, you take what you can get. You're not 'above' any job just because you have a degree.
>>
>>18081062
I want a job in the field which my degree is for, kind of the purpose of getting that degree. Im currently employed, so I have a job not in the field what my degree is in though.

Well the guy above was saying i need to be an expert in 15 programming languages or pajeet will take my entry level position.
>>
>>18081091
>I want a job in the field which my degree is for, kind of the purpose of getting that degree. Im currently employed, so I have a job not in the field what my degree is in though.
Sure, but if you're not getting a job for whatever reason, you don't wait around unemployed if you need the money.

>Well the guy above was saying i need to be an expert in 15 programming languages or pajeet will take my entry level position.
The point he was making was that if all you have to offer is a degree, then you're going to have a harder time finding this entry level job. People who have made an effort to either upskill or have prior work experience, even if it's unrelated to their degree, are going to have a much easier time finding a job. A degree is not enough these days in any field, but especially in oversaturated fields like STEM fields. People who told you that STEM is your ticket to an easy job and a lot of money were wrong.
>>
>>18081097
As i said like 3x, I have an unrelated desk job I worked part time at for over 3 years. My problem is a portfolio of side projects, since I went to school full time and kept my gpa 3.0+ and worked part time. I have a github with a few programs I wrote in a few different languages. I am currently learning the libraries, languages, frameworks the are popular/employers want. The main issue is outside of a personal website I lack the demonstration in those languages bc no personal projects. Im currently working on a web app in one of those languages and libraries but I want to start applying next week and have a job before i finish school.

Now Im scared shitless if this effort I have applied thus far isn't enough and I have wasted a large sum of money and time pursuing a career I wont be able to get into. Im very fucking scared, it keeps me up at night type scared. Everyday I wake up Im just shot from lack of sleep.
>>
>>18081113
You have what you have. Get an unrelated job, whatever you can get (no, I don't care that you don't want to work retail), work on your portfolio, and then apply to these jobs.
>>
>>18081120
the job I work now is a desk job and I make 15 an hour, it's a million times better than retail. What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>18081163
Okay, so stay with that then? I assumed you were no longer working that job because you never mentioned that you were still there, calm your tits.
>>
>>18081168
No, I can't support myself on my own with this job that's why I went for the degree. Looking to get into the web development/ front end dev field.
>>
>>18081190
But the degree alone is unlikely to get you a good job so you need to stick with this until you make yourself more employable. What is so hard to understand about this?
>>
>>18081195
That Im sticking with this job, but Im applying for the jobs in ym degree starting next week. I wanted to do know if I would be able to find one/how hard it is.
>>
>>18081163
>desk job and I make 15 an hour
>I can't support myself on my own with this job
where do you live, NYC? Boston?
>>
>>18081261
nyc, looking to move to utah so I can live on 40k a year.
>>
>>18081120
>OP wants a job related to his degree
>Working a job unrelated to his degree will give him the "relevant experience" required for """""entry level""""" jobs these days

I can't see the endgame here.
>>
>>18080262
Utah it is, beggars can't be choosers.

>>18079336
Yeah, not every STEM major can be in the top 5%.
>>
>>18081474
It's been explained ITT several times.
>>
>>18081113
>The main issue is outside of a personal website I lack the demonstration in those languages bc no personal projects.

You went through school without doing any hobby projects? That just shows to your employer that you're only interested in the job purely for the money and lack passion for it.
>>
>>18081557
yeah I didn't do things the proper way, I was too ignorant and had no guidance.

I decided Im going to starting applying monday with what I got, see if I can't land something decent. Going to continue working on this web app. If I don't land a job before graduation, I'll probably make a desperate move and apply anywhere in the country instead of the location I want to live in. I want to live in Utah, but I live by NYC right now. If those things fail, im fucked then.
>>
>>18081557
>>18081592
The US really does need to be more open about employment prospects when the students go into majors like STEM that are "supposed to" have jobs.

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Most of us didn't know that being "good enough" didn't get us jobs in what we studied until it was too late. What's really interesting is how the massive competition has influenced the family, so that women have new income standards and now 2 incomes per household is the standard.
>>
>>18081035
Most of my chem/biochem buddies went turbo NEET for a year or two before going into an unrelated field, usually outside of the US after feeling really disenfranchised.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.