[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Meditation is literally the answer to all lifes problems I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: zen-meditation-mudra.jpg (131KB, 1994x1363px) Image search: [Google]
zen-meditation-mudra.jpg
131KB, 1994x1363px
Meditation is literally the answer to all lifes problems

I can't believe the tangible effects it has had on me in a relatively short space of time. Meditating every single day, just for 30 minutes, is just about the best thing you can ever do for your psychological health and all round happiness levels. Its truly unbelievable.

I am not even religious. I am not a Buddhist, I refute the idea of reincarnation or even doubt the idea of the possibility of full enlightenment. I have no interest in chakras or any of that stuff. But man, on a purely practical level, meditation is a life changer for your mental health.

tl;dr - Meditate
>>
Agreed, yet I can't bring it to routine
>>
How do you meditate?
Is simply sitting down and doing nothing enough?
Or should I focus on my breathing?
>>
>>18058090
You will find that it is very difficult to silence the mind. Try to close your eyes for 10 seconds and think no thoughts. You will realize that thought is not an abstract action coming of choice, but rather are determined (in other words, you don't think thoughts, thoughts happen TO YOU.)

Meditation, the "doing nothing" aspect, is actually a very gruelling process for novices that takes considerable effort and determination. In concentration meditation, this is the part where you continuously return your attention to the object of meditation every time your mind wanders. The goal here is to let the object of meditation "consume you" (be it your own breath or a physical object outside via open-eye meditation)
>>
>>18058090

I would start with a simple mindful breathing routine, simply observing the sensation of breath entering and leaving your nostrils. Don't try and force it, just let it happen naturally. Your mind WILL stray, constantly. The aim is to not get frustrated, simply return to your breath as soon as you notice you have wandered into thinking.

Meditation is not about forcing your mind to be empty, it is about observing the mind and body with equanimity (neutrality).

If possible, I would recommend going on a retreat to really get started in a technique. I did a 10 day Vipassana retreat to learn the technique I use.

www.dhamma.org
>>
>>18058090
I would say there's no set way to meditate, but generally speaking sitting at peace somewhere where there is little distraction is the best way to do it.

Basically you want to bring your attention properly to the present moment. When you start to do this, it's like a mental reset.
I'm sure everyone's experience is a little different, but when you bring your focus to the current moment, you remind yourself that it's all anyone ever has and unless you are literally in a life or death situation or starving or some other extreme discomfort, then you are actually doing alright and if there are problems in your life, that's fine too because all you can do is tackle whatever is in front of you at that particular moment.

You don't need to sit in a lotus to do this...hell, some people might find themselves slipping into this state when they play a sport or are doing housework.

Just start being more mindful of your current state and focus. With time, it'll strengthen like a muscle and probably take you to new places as well.
>>
>>18058033

Yup.

Doing 45 min zazen everyday. It is literally curing me from my depression. I find it better than pills and therapy.
>>
Ya, I too can confirm. Mad benefits to be had. set your phone alarm and clear your mind in silence for 30 mins a day.

You can start with less time. Say five minutes at first. Then gradually increase the time until you feel you get what you need.
>>
>>18058033
Good thread boys

I had literally 2 hours of sleep last night. Meditated on the bus, felt comfy and inhavited my space, and did not feel groggy or tired like I usually would.
>>
>>18058033
>be me
>not a betacuck, so don't need to meditate
>>
Yeah but have you had an outer body experience?
>>
>>18058802
have you?
>>
can anybody come up with an even remotely rational explaination of how and why this works?

Those of you who consider this good/great/amazing, I presume it has had some beneficial effects on your behavior. What did it change? Are you less impulsive? More empathetic? do you get stuff done better? If you previously had no idea what to do with your life, did meditating solve that problem or contribute significantly to the solving of that problem?
>>
File: 1394410775751.gif (983KB, 250x197px) Image search: [Google]
1394410775751.gif
983KB, 250x197px
>>18058033

>Meditation is literally the answer to all lifes problems

I'm very unentertained with this meme.
>>
Thought I had it saved, but there's a guide I've seen posted called Starting Sit. It seems like a good beginner guide
>>
File: 1486330264636.jpg (487KB, 518x3648px) Image search: [Google]
1486330264636.jpg
487KB, 518x3648px
>>18058978
>>
>>18058090
>How do you meditate?
start with some guided meditations
http://marc.ucla.edu/mindful-meditations
>>
How do you stay focused? Especially when there's a lot of distractions?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.