[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bachelor's degree from a dutch university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Aerospace-Engineering-Jobs.jpg (105KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
Aerospace-Engineering-Jobs.jpg
105KB, 620x387px
I'm currently working on my bachelor's degree in aerospace engineering at a dutch university. There seems to be a strong conviction around here that you need a master's degree in order to do anything, and in fact 80% of the students in the program go on to get their master's degree straight from their BSc (mostly in the same faculty I would imagine).
This came as a bit of a surprise to me as in the U.S. (where I come from) a bachelor's degree is usually considered more than enough to get a job in the industry and people often do just that before pursuing further education. Furthermore as my family is quite poor, I will probably have to work a job for a while before continuing my studies—unless I get into a PhD program back in the US where stipends / PhD straight from bachelors are a thing.
How easy is it to get an engineering job in Europe with just a bachelor's actually? Surely aerospace engineering bachelors degree holders don't just work restaurant jobs, right? Anybody in a similar position or would like to offer some advice?
>>
>>18058003
>Furthermore as my family is quite poor
Should've studied harder and get that fellowship.

>How easy is it to get an engineering job in Europe with just a bachelor's actually?
Not bad. Just don't expect 45k/y salary.

>Surely aerospace engineering bachelors degree holders don't just work restaurant jobs, right?
Meh, it happens. It's not like the Dutch is known for their rockets. Just do your internship and part-time, dude. And hope for the best.
>>
You should have informed yourself. European bachelors are usually 3 years long, the master is 2 years and a specialization which earns you the credentials to work in the field. After that you can do a doctorate if you want to do research.

You can work while studying, student jobs, assisstant if your grades are good enough etc.
>>
>>18058003
Bachelor's in US works because we have a huge defense industry so aero is an ecosystem that's pretty accessible here. Lots of suppliers here. Also, once you get in you can pretty much go anywhere because Nadcap, FAA, ASTM, MIL-ST, etc. make the process similar at every company but the first can be tough. Never heard of a dutchie and I've worked with guys who did the B2, 777, 747, 787, F-18, F-35, A380, UH-60, and Super Stallion so good luck bud. Airbus is probably your best bet.
>>
>>18058003
>Surely aerospace engineering bachelors degree holders don't just work restaurant jobs, right?

Supply and demand. There are likely many more people with engineering degrees than there are engineering jobs available. And unless you can directly apply your degree to the job you're applying for its basically worthless.

So yeah, some probably do.
>>
>>18058194
>Just don't expect 45k/y salary.
I made 90k a year digging holes in Hawaii...
>>
>>18058003
>my education entitles me to a better job!
>>
>>18058003
This might be a sign you want a career change. Personally, I found out I don't like lab work while working at a lab in the summer before starting honours (which I decided not to pursue) for a medical science degree. I'm still glad I finished my degree even though I don't use it because I don't necessarily have to start another bachelors from scratch if I want to do something scientific or health related. I just generic office jobs for the government but I wouldn't have got those if I had no degree.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.