[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Army

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3594.png (579KB, 900x798px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3594.png
579KB, 900x798px
Should I join the army?
>be me
>2nd year of physics degrees
>love it. Always wanted to know how the universe worked at a fundamental level mathematically (hate physics meme however)
>don't want to work in a lab. Too stressful and depressive plus I don't give a fuck about experimental physics. Other people can do it.
>don't wanna teach. I hates kids, specially the pseudo intellectual fags in the 1st year
>could try any kind of job, but they wouldn't allow me to become a NEET once i retired.
>love my country above anything else
>start looking at the army's webpage
>wtf they're better than I expected them to be
>how to join?
>find out if I get a degree I'll get an official rank as soon as I get in
So I'm just want to finish my degree and get a theoretical physics masters and then join the army. Should I do it? I get to fight for my country and get paid well. Pros and cons?
>>
Where are you from OP?
>>
>>18055817
Portugal
>>
Served in the German Army (Air force branch) for most of my working life.

>find out if I get a degree I'll get an official rank as soon as I get in

You mean Officer rank don't you?

The advice I give to anyone looking into joining the Army (no matter which country as from my experience this holds true in any Army I had contact with over the years) don't join unless you get on the Officer-Path right away.

If you need a degree to do that in your case, do that. Generally speaking the Army isn't as bad of an employer as people make them out to be. In the past few decades they had to try harder and harder to find fitting personal - and that shows by some of the benefits you get.

Especially as an Officer the pay and other benefits are great.

also ask me anything you may want to know.
>>
>>18055835
>You mean Officer rank don't you?
Yeah. It was a typo.

Would like to know:
How long am I supposed to serve?
When I'm at home can I use my army rifle for self defence?
How do I rank up?
any need for physicists in nowadays wars?
And do I need to be extremely fit or just healthy will do?
>>
>>18055824
Well, I have no military experience besides half a year in national youthguard during middle school, lol

I can only give a brief overlook, Portugal is a NATO member, so it sees action, if you go in with a highest education, that's a plus already

If you go in with a physics degree, even bigger plus in my opinion, doesn't air force value physics and maths knowledge quite a lot from most? Maybe the experienced guy can confirm

All in all, you'll do great I think
>>
>>18055861
But I think I can't join the Air Force since I wear glasses and I can't use contact lenses. Would like to if I could.
>>
>>18055866
The other guy prolly knows better but I doubt everyone there needs an eagle vision, well, the actual pilots probably do, but there are tons of other aspects to it, like radar work, calculations, electronics
>>
>>18055878
Yeah maybe the Air Force is the best for me. But what about the army, the navy or the marines? What do they do? Wouldn't mind to be a normal soldier btw, would like to participate in the action
>>
>>18055854
>How long am I supposed to serve?
You can probably find information on that on the Army's website - you can also get in touch with a recruiter to ask him questions.
If you are asking for how long I'd recommend you to sign up that is really up to you. Personally I stayed for as long as I had to (because I got training as a pilot that was 15 years back then) and left afterwards - but I also have many friends that are still serving now.

>When I'm at home can I use my army rifle for self defence?
In Germany you can't - no idea about Portugal but it would surprise me.

>How do I rank up?
There are ranks which are automatically awarded after some time spent in service - and others that require time spent in service and further action. It is not always the most transparent service, but usually your rank will be adjusted because of time spent in service.

>any need for physicists in nowadays wars?
Certainly, everything STEM related is highly sought after by the military.

>do I need to be extremely fit or just healthy will do?
Being at least reasonably fit will help you immensely, but if you are an average healthy male you should be able to pass through the requirements.

>But I think I can't join the Air Force since I wear glasses and I can't use contact lenses
Usually wearing glasses does not automatically disqualify you from joining the Air Forces (or even becoming a pilot) its mainly about you having 100% sight with glasses on. But as stated before, research into that on your own (or talk to a recruiter).
>>
>>18055885
I doubt I'll be able to elaborate besides the basic stuff everyone can google in a few secs, if it's for the action, Army and marine branches are usually sent to international missions, besides air force, navy not so much, but I may be wrong

In general, all of these participate in action, besides the national guard and similar groups

As you're into physics, maybe you'd eventually roll into some signal corp, those may be interesting
>>
>>18055885
I may be repeating myself but I'll say it once more. Hit up a recruiter and skim through the Army's, navy's and Air Force's websites. You'll probably find answers to most of the questions you have asked so far on there. Furthermore a recruiter will probably burry you in Information pamphlets on the different branches and career paths.

>would like to participate in the action
I would be careful with saying that too an recruiter too early on - or just saying it when there is no need to. You are looking to join the Army, the fact that you'll possibly see action is part of the job and saying that you'd like to participate in it is a given. Being too excited over the possibility of one day being involved in battle is a bit of a red flag.
>>
>>18055893
>>18055901
Well thanks for your time guys. Don't know if I will join the army of the Air Force but now no have no doubts I want a life in the military.
>>18055908
Yeah thanks for the warning. I know that war can be though. Guess I've gotta use logic over adrenaline.
but I will take with a recruiter when they come over my college. Thank you very much guys.
>>
>>18055918
>but I will take with a recruiter when they come over my college

Definitely, keep in mind that they are more desperate to get qualified personal than you are to join them ;)
>>
>>18055923
Ok thanks for the tip man.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.