[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of a person's intelligence is up to their genes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

How much of a person's intelligence is up to their genes? Can it be changed with proper upbringing?

I'm starting to think about having kids. My gf is not the brightest tool in the shed, so I'm wondering how much that would affect the intelligence of our hypothetical kids. I love my sister's kids, because they're really smart (even though they're 2 and 3 y/o), which I think is because of their upbringing. How wrong am I?
>>
>>18055173

Upbringing plays a big part, yes. Studies have suggested that first kids especially are more intelligent than the second or third child of a family, because parents are more invested in their mental development (read to them more, teach them things earlier on, etc.), while become more lax with the later kids. Also, if parents are highly educated, this translates to certain attitudes and views that usually pass onto the children through upbringing and they too seek higher education. So, genetics do play a part, but upbringing is quite significant.
However, the bad news is that there was a recent study that suggested that a children inherit their intelligence from their mothers, rather than fathers. But it should be easy enough to compensate for genetic shortcomings by raising your kids hardworking and curious, because those traits tend to be more crucial for success than intelligence.
>>
You should be reading studies and papers instead of relying on anonymous advice from 4chan. I will say that many of the pertinent studies conclude that genetics are largely irrelevant (assuming your children don't have downs or some other genetic disorder), but I really don't keep track of this stuff. It's also really weird to pick your girlfriend based on the prospective intelligence of your children.
>>
>>18055173

I think a little bit of it is up to genes, but I would say that the more crucial part of it is the opportunity afforded to the kid, and then consistent parenting.

For example, I went to one of the top two richest public high schools in the state. I had a lot of very well-off friends. Their parents were obviously pretty smart - doctors, lawyers, executives at big companies, that kind of thing. But some of those kids were just completely spoiled, so like, one half of the group now works in valet parking, even though they're almost 30. They took the easiest classes, took vacations, got Cs and Bs, went to a state school, and, meh. All of the wasted opportunity in the world.

On the other hand, there were people the AP and IB classes I was in that came from rich families, but were clearly held accountable for their actions by responsible parents. They got straight As and went to great schools, and are smart now.

I'd say I'm a pretty smart guy, generally more book-smart than my parents. My mom was a model, so, uh, whatever there... and my dad is a pilot. That takes some degree of intelligence for sure, but there's other factors that make him a great pilot that exist outside of being purely book-smart.

Just give them the right upbringing and attention and they should be fine.
>>
>>18055173

almost all of it
>>
>>18055188
>However, the bad news is that there was a recent study that suggested that a children inherit their intelligence from their mothers, rather than fathers.

I can tell you for certain that study is bullshit. I'm exactly like my father, looks and intelligence wise, which is very different and specific from my mother. Also, from my pretty vast anecdotal experience, it's a 50% chance to inherit it from one or the other. Money well spent on that study.
>>
>>18055209

>using anecdotal subjective experience to discredit a scientific research

You sure cleared that up.
>>
close to 50:50 you won't have an einstein without the right genes but you will also not produce serial killers if you care about their upbringing.

Aside from genetic illnesses that run in some families, it's notthing dramatic. And smart kids tend to even be more stressfull and neurotic/ autistic. If you want them to be happy, beeing a bit dumb is a great aid
>>
>>18055189

Obviously, but I just wanted a quick answer without having to do too much work. I didn't mean to suggest my relationship depended on the answer though, I was just curious.
>>
>>18055241

why are you conflating intelligence with morality?

you can have an intelligent killer
>>
>>18055188
First post, best post.
Totally true.
>>
>>18055173
What's more important to you? Having intelligent kids, or having kids with the woman you love?

If you answer the first one, I'd argue that the father's snob genes might also be a problem
>>
>>18055258
False dichotomy.
>>
>>18055258

OP here. What >>18055283 said.

Anyway, I think you're misunderstanding me. All I'm asking is if the way my kids are raised will have a bigger impact on their intelligence than their genetics would.

The problem is that I don't particularly like most kids I meet. But I really like the ones that are smart; a lot of my friends are starting to have kids, and I think you can quickly tell the difference between the kids with proper upbringing and the ones without it.
>>
>>18055294
2-3 year olds don't have that much ability to manifest intelligence, afaik. It's more about how you break down tasks in the most elementary units, and teach them to manage their emotional outbursts. No first-hand experience though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.