[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My garbage roommate refuses to pay me for the electricity bill.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 4L_KeVAtjhM.jpg (32KB, 261x367px) Image search: [Google]
4L_KeVAtjhM.jpg
32KB, 261x367px
I'm 18 living with 3 other 19 year old college students in student apartments. The electricity bill is in my name and my parents are paying for that while I pay rent, I collect money from my roommates every month. My other two roommates have been paying me whenever I ask, and it's fine.

My other roommate, however, refuses to pay me, I asked for either cash or cheque. Simple, right? Not to her. she'll only pay me through paypal or shitty electronic services that I don't use. She owes me $130, she hasn't paid me for any bill since late August, when we moved in. She flat refuses to walk a fucking block to the ATM or write a cheque.

I've kind of ignored it, and my other roommates have mentioned that she's still adamant about not paying.

The fuck do I do? My parents want their money, and want to contact her parents, but we all think that's going too far.

Wat do?
>>
>>18054065
Let her pay in fucking paypal, holy shit is that such a problem? Use Venmo, it's even easier

I know you're 18, but you're going to learn quickly that not everyone is going to do everything the exact way you want them to do it
>>
Would you rather have your money through some online service, or would you rather not have it?
>>
>>18054072
I don't want to create and pay for an account on a service that I'll only use for one thing. It's much fucking easier for her to literally just get cash or write a check.

This isn't the only thing she's done either, she's been an awful roommate since we moved in. She stole my other roommate's vicodin when she got her wisdom teeth pulled, threw away some stuff because she didn't like it or some shit, and freaks the fuck out whenever any of us owe her any money at all.
>>
Let your parents talk to her parents but don't tell her that its going to happen. If she doesn't give you the fucking money maybe her parents will.
>>
>>18054107
>This isn't the only thing she's done either, she's been an awful roommate since we moved in. She stole my other roommate's vicodin when she got her wisdom teeth pulled, threw away some stuff because she didn't like it or some shit, and freaks the fuck out whenever any of us owe her any money at all.
k, and?
>>
>>18054072
What? Expecting your roommate to be able to write a fucking check or take 15 minutes to withdraw some fucking cash isn't a sign of immaturity. At all. NOT BEING WILLING TO DO THAT is a sign of immaturity. And pointless besides; you can't function as an adult if you refuse to ever pay bills without Paypal.

OP, you need to stop "kind of ignoring" this. Inform her that you're not signing up for any online service that you don't already subscribe to, that you expect the $130 that she owes you by the end of the week, and that if she doesn't pay you by that time you're going to contact her parents.

Be civil and polite, don't give her any excuse to be an even shittier roommate than she already has been, because she can and will make your life miserable if you give her an excuse (and unfortunately she may try to do that anyway), but equally, be firm. Make it clear that you're going to pursue this until you get your money.

As a note for the future, this is why situations like this, with bills in your name & roommates who pay you each month on a handshake agreement, are not a good idea, except with people who you know VERY well and trust very much.
>>
You guys do know that PayPal doesn't cost anything?!? Fuck you're ignorant, you don't deserve your money if you want to be like that
>>
Also you're the dumbest of the four for volunteering to have anything in your name
>>
>>18054158
If you're going to live like an adult (19 and living on your own in college is adult enough for our purposes here) you should own a fucking checkbook. Period.

Someday checks will be obsolete and people who refuse to use online services will be the unreasonable ones, but we are simply not there yet.
>>
>>18054185
Uh, yeah we are. I've been paying my bills check-free since 2013, you must live in a 3rd world country
>>
>>18054185

I've been an adult longer than you and i use paypal. it's really the same thing but keeps a digital record so nobody has to worry about misplacing a check.
It links directly to your bank so u can send the money quickly and safely.
>>
>>18054192
I've lived in several countries since 2013, all of them first world, and you are wrong.

Regarding Paypal specifically there are some perfectly legitimate reasons someone might not want to use it. As for Venmo, guess who owns them? Paypal.

It's great if you've been able to pay bills check-free since 2013! Really. It's a lot more convenient. We'll all get there eventually, I'm sure. But we're not all there yet. You are in error if expect EVERYBODY to handle money transfers that way and think they're being unreasonable if they won't.

You should get a checkbook, dude. It's a good thing to have on hand.
>>
>>18054220
I'm older than you, and there is no one I would even right checks to. Why can't you accomodate her? Why does she have to accomodate you? Why do you have to have it your way? Please, take a step back and look at this situation. She is WILLING to pay, all you need to do is create an account that you will almost DEFINITELY need in the future, and you're refusing because why? Just do the right thing.
>>
>>18054201
As for this post, I think it's pretty clear that I'm not the OP. I haven't been in college for about a decade.

I've spent about as long as I'm going to on this thread -- I'm not going to go over the reasons someone might be cautious about using Paypal, you can look them up easily enough on your own. And let's be clear, I have a Paypal account. I use it.

The question isn't "Is Paypal convenient and useful?" (yes) but "Is it acceptable, if you owe money to someone who doesn't have a Paypal account, to just not pay them for months?" The answer is no.

So again, OP, talk to your roommate. Be polite, firm, and make it clear that you expect to be paid, soon. With that I'm bowing out of the thread.
>>
>>18054227
Yeah, he's right, it just takes 5 minutes to set it up, a day for your bank to confirm it and it's done.
>>
(And, in future, ALWAYS get arrangements like this in writing, even if you know the people involved. It's just better, and it might save a few friendships, too.)
>>
>>18054229
>Is it acceptable, if you owe money to someone who doesn't have a Paypal account, to just not pay them for months?

Yeah. If they are being so stubborn they won't spend 5 minutes to receive their money in a convenient way, why must you spend 15 minutes each month to inconveniently get them their money?

I hate having debts, and because of that I would go to the bank and withdraw the money, but it's kinda retarded for OP to not accept the money in a different way as a gesture of good will.
>>
If she does not pay for anything, then fucking tell her to pay up in a week or be kicked out. If your friends refuse kicking her out, then find another living situation. I don't think it matters who they are and how close you are to them. This chick sounds like a lazy bitch that is trying to get a free place to stay and control everyone's lives like she owns the place.
>>
>>18054264
Did you read the OP? It isn't rent. It's just electric. And she's willing to pay, just not in OP's preferred format.
>>
>>18054270
But she wants to pay in online currency that OP does not have and is too lazy to walk a fucking block to an ATM. OP says that he/she is paying rent, and she just needs to pay her share of electric, but won't even try for that. It is obvious that she is just trying to make it hard on them so she does not need to pay right now. OP even said she throws their shit away because she "doesn't like them" without asking anyone. I don't think OP should have to put up with her shit, OP is paying rent and everyone is paying their share of the bills, but this bitch is making it hard on everyone and acts like she owns the place.
>>
>>18054294
>that OP does not have
And she doesn't have a checkbook, what's the difference? Maybe that's not her bank's ATM and there's a fee? I wouldn't pay $5 to withdraw my money ever. No reason OP can't just do it
>>
>>18054294
No, just because someone asks you to do extra work to give them money, doesn't mean you are "making it hard on them so you don't have to pay" if you refuse.

OP and this roommate are both stubborn asses, but the fact is that OP is be stubborn about receiving money. If the roommate was trying to dodge or pay in buttcoins then yeah, I'd say fuck that roommate, but they aren't. If you have someone stubborn about the format of sending money and someone else stubborn about the format of receiving money, the receiver is the greater fool.
>>
>>18054307
>the receiver is the greater fool
This. If OP wants the money, he'll take it the way she's willing to give it.
>>
>>18054065
If you want to make a girl comply, you go after her friends. Destroy her reputation with your other roommates.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.