[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you define an intelligent person?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 1

How do you define an intelligent person?
>>
By how fast they are at learning
>>
by how much i like them
>>
There's different intelligences

For.me it's how fast they learn, how adept they are at problem solving and also how skilled they are at handling their emotional climates. As well as being honest about everything including failure and successes, being able to analyze what went right and how to repeat that and what went wrong and how to improve and not repeat the mistake.
>>
>>18051767
By pattern recognition, memory, and creativity.
>>
>>18051767
By the size of their paycheque.
>>
A person who sees a serious problem, and gives it an extraordinary solution.
>>
>>18051882
The simple solution is the best one though.
>>
Ignorance is rigid, intelligence is fluid.
>>
>>18051767
A person who uses common sense to the fullest.
>>
They're really smart n shit
>>
>>18051890
And coming up with a simple solution is often more difficult than coming up with a complicated one.
>>
Jordan Peterson.
>>
>>18051767

by how successful they are at getting what they want
>>
>>18051798
The only correct answer ITT.
>>
>>18051767
there a gay nerd
>>
>>18051767
definitely something women don't have because most of them will not even pass the turing test.
>>
>>18051767
the moment you do, you can't be intelligent yourself
>>
What I've noticed that the more intelligent a person is, the less inclined he or she is to judge someone's intelligence.
>>
>>18051777
kek

true
>>
handsome = intelligent, else retarded
>>
I feel intelligence is the overall ability to learn new information and apply it properly to different situations.
>>
Well, there are many kinds of intelligence, so it's hard to narrow it down to one definition.

I think one of the major signs of intelligence is curiosity. Intelligent people seek out knowledge and and intellectual stimulation, they want to understand how the world around them works.

Of course there's still people who I consider stupid that are still curious so.. it's more of an indicator.
>>
>>18051767
I think its based on how willing the person is to learn. No one is just born smart, some people have more motivation to learn and that makes them diffrent from others
>>
>>18052853
I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. While motivation can help to bridge the gap, it seems to me that some people just don't learn.

Athe the same time, a naturally smart person can neglect their gift and have it fade.
>>
>>18051775
This right here. Almost everyone will figure something out given enough time but what I consider the measure of intelligence is how fast someone can learn new things.
>>
By how much fiber are they eat. This way I can judge whether they are full of s*** or not
>>
I define an intelligent person by how well they can adapt to their surroundings and the people within those surroundings. Adaptability is important for survival and self-protection.
>>
>>18051767
Someone who learns from their mistakes, even when those mistakes happen repeatedly.
>>
>>18054006
but wouldn't they just be doomed to repeat them, then?

You're either sadistic or you just genuinely enjoy stupid people. I mean, I get the appeal, but goddamn, there's a limit and you went way past it.

Moving on,
>>18051767
Not very easily.
>>
>>18054032
You misread my sentence, or I didn't make it clearly enough.

Someone who learns from their mistakes is intelligent. Someone who makes mistakes repeatedly and THEN learns from those mistakes is intelligent.

The operating assumption here is that when the person making the mistake repeatedly learns from that mistake, and thus stops making it, they have gained intelligence.
>>
>>18051767

They can go through high school and college without trying too hard

They don't have a habit of criticizing other people.

They tend not blame other people for their problems.

They don't have a victim complex.

They have a job that pays well.

They have no trouble socializing.

They can easily entertain themselves.

They can accept valid criticism.

They strive for self-improvement.

They are conscious of their health and the dangers of their surrounding environment.

A stupid person fails at or struggles with most or all of the above.
>>
Some of these replies are too fucking funny.
>>
>>18054129
Are you sure about the socializing part?
>>
>>18054430
An actually intelligent person has no trouble socializing unless he has mental issues.
>>
>>18054444
And if he or she has mental issues, is not an intelligent person?
>>
>>18054450
It's possible. But intelligent people have certain characteristics. And if a person is mentally ill, then regardless of intelligence he will have some handicaps.
>>
>>18051767
>How do you define an intelligent person?
They're smarter than me. Opposite to that, a dumb person is more stupid than me. I judge everyone using myself as the base.
>>
>>18054498
And how do you define yourself?
>>
>>18054537
normal intelligence.
>>
>>18054450
>>18054467
Actually, studies have shown that a lot of geniuses are diagnosed with mood and mental disorders.
>>
>>18051767
How do you define "define"?
>>
>>18054973
Post links.
>>
>>18051767
aptitude, character and fruitfulness.

you can't have any of those thinks without intelligence.
>>
>>18054444
This isn't even close to true. Infact, social ineptitude is a notorious trait for highly intelligent people.

http://bfy(dot)tw/A830
>>
Being apt at abstract thinking, quick to understand new concepts and see patterns. Not that unintelligent people can't be curious, but from my experience highly intelligent people tend to be curious and interested in a variety of diverse topics, especially if they are also emotionally competent.

For me the biggest is being able to see nuance, though. Generalizing etc is essentially dumbing down reality into a neat overview. It takes more intelligent people to be aware of contradictions, individual circumstances, shades of grey essentially. Of course you can be highly intelligent and still have a personal blind spot, but in my experience the most intelligent people tend to be mentally flexible and able to see issues from different sides with good arguments for all sides, don't have a knee jerk reflex opinion on things but are able to take every situation like a new scenario with its own answers.
>>
>>18051767
These days, anyone who understands critical thinking, proper research skills and source checking.

The shit people.believe now. Its getting bananas out there.
>>
Sure are a lot of stupid people in this thread, but it's good to see exactly how stupid and full of shit people are.

Anyone who thinks that intelligent people can't have mental or emotional issues just needs to do a little research on Einstein.
>>
>>18055079
Damn bruh, you win for about the best description of intelligence I've seen, I am going to use your explanation from now on.

>>18054444
Clearly you aren't all that intelligent, because socializing with comparatively stupid people takes a shit ton of effort, making it generally not worth the energy and making me kinda suck at socializing.

Also more intelligent people tend to use drugs more, keep in mind the difference between using and abusing.
>>
>Write down how you'd define yourself
>List the opposite of those characteristics
That's intelligence.
>>
IMO Being able to adapt to all situations
>>
>>18055261
/thread
>>
>>18055099
an inadequately challenged intelligent person (like, staggeringly intelligent, not like, the smart kid in your class) develops a slew of neuroses.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.