[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work Responsiveness to Boss

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1346989281122.jpg (85KB, 475x356px) Image search: [Google]
1346989281122.jpg
85KB, 475x356px
My new boss isn't particularly responsive or timely during the day. Most days, she's late to our calls, and my emails with clear questions for her go without response for hours. (We don't work in the same place, so that contributes to this.)

But, each night, between 5:30 and 7:30, I get a ton of emails from her.

I'm salaried. Should I be making myself available to answer her emails outside of our normal working hours, or should I let them wait until the start of the business day, unless it's urgent?
>>
>>18030057

salaried doesn't mean that you're a 24 hour on call employee. salaried does not mean that you aren't supposed to adjust your entire life to match when your boss answers emails. it sucks that she won't get back to you faster, but adding in more time because shes chosen to balance her job this way isn't going to help you.

if you are supposed to leave before 5:30 just let her know that your day ends when its supposed to end so any emails sent after that time wont be read until the next day.
>>
>>18030057
>Should I be making myself available to answer her emails outside of our normal working hours, or should I let them wait until the start of the business day, unless it's urgent?
Depends. Is it something that can wait until the next morning? If so, then leave it. Just because you're salaried doesn't mean you're expected to be on call 24/7
>>
>>18030070

I mean, it's hard to differentiate. We have a client on the East Coast, so my "morning" isn't the same as theirs.

I hate being outworked.
>>
>>18030080
You say you don't work in the same place, is there a time difference?
>>
If you're using email as the main form of communication I think the format itself is for getting back to people when you have time.

If your workday starts at 8am then don't check your emails until 8am and then respond to everything. If something is really urgent there should be a separate contact method like calling or texting your work phone.
>>
>>18030105

Same time. We're actually both in the same city.

>>18030123
That's true, but with emails all coming right into my phone (personal phone), it's not like I have an excuse to not reply, besides just deciding not to do it, even if that means "I'm not at my computer but can look into this tomorrow."
>>
I typically reply at my leisure when it's after hours. I have access to my work email through my phone so replying isn't an inconvenience because it takes literally a minute to reply to an email.

My company has locations internationally plus most of our clients work 24/7. I get like 2-3 dozen emails a day and pretty much reply when I feel like it, but I'm also on the ball so I usually reply fairly soon unless I'm incredibly busy...

tl;dr reply when you feel like it, but really just reply sooner than later. i doubt it takes that much time...
>>
well if you can choose your own hours work later if not then just respond the next day. I doubt the emails are very urgent.
>>
You need to set a standard, and stick to it.

Fuck that bitch, she can email you during normal work hours.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.