[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wanting to join the army but uncertain I'd make the cut

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: community_image_1421550623.gif (2MB, 400x304px) Image search: [Google]
community_image_1421550623.gif
2MB, 400x304px
Any armyfags on /adv/? Got questions and am looking online, but was hoping to ask people with actual experience in the army rather than stuff they put online which most likely only advertises the good bits. Some questions off the top of my head.

>How physically capable do I need to be?
I'm 5'7 and 152lbs, so pretty short, and not exactly jacked. I'm assuming that you'll be forced to get a lot fitter in basic training but I want to make sure I'm in as good a position as possible so I don't end up walking away as a failure or getting turned away at the front door.
>How does social anxiety/autism impact on being in the army? Does it flat out prevent you from joining or does it get stomped out of you?
I'm an aspie and I'm not great at being social, I'm a bit of a loner and a loser, part of the reason I want to join, sick of being the runt of the litter and don't want to live my life as some schmuck in a macdonalds.
>How common are things such as PTSD, Loss of limbs, and other traumatic events in the army?
One of the main reasons I asked on 4chan, seems to be the place to ask if I want to know the truthful answers, even if they're horrible to hear.
>I've heard that basic training is made to break you and to weed out people who'd be too weak to cope in a military environment. How true is this?
I'm assuming this is true and that I'd be broken quicker than I'd realise, but if it makes me a stronger and better person I'm up for it.
>I'd want to be a combat medic, but I have no medical knowledge. Do they teach this or will I need to have gone to medical school?
This may be a better subject to just look up online, but I'll ask here too just in case someone on here can provide any insight.

I may have further questions later but I'll leave it at that for now.
>>
>How physically capable do I need to be?

Enough to pass the Army PFT, if you don't pass you get sent up to PCP (Physically Conditioning Platoon.)

>I'd want to be a combat medic, but I have no medical knowledge. Do they teach this or will I need to have gone to medical school?

They will teach you it. They teach you what you need for your MOS which is 68W. There are different types of medical schools such as SOCM but when you go to AIT where you learn about your job they will teach you there which is around 16 weeks.
>>
>>18030024
All other questions should be asked on >>>/k/32893958
>>
>>18030131
>>18030136
Thanks, Didn't think about /k/. Will look tomorrow.
>>
To be honest if you got aspergers it's gonna be there's a slim chance they may even take you at all, you would need a medical waiver and after that it's up to what the army medical officers say (I went Navy but it's basically the same crap)
>>
>>18030024
On mobile so sorry for short reaponses.

Ok so I was 138 at 5'9. They don't care about underweight just overweight. The height requirement is basically as long as your boy legally a midget.

The army is full of weirdos, and people who aren't social, and so on. The image as the army as full of ripped chads is a lie. It's like a micro society, with all sorts of folks from all walks of life and all different types of personalitys.

Not common at all statistically. Esp now that we're out of any large conflicts for the most part. as for ptsd, in my experience most who claim it claim it for attention and VA benefits. And as some "badge of honor" that makes them billy badass. The few I've met who really have it don't advertise it. It's also not that common if your talking long-term ptsd. If you go through combat you coudl have a short term lik version of it. Also if you want to avoid that, don't take a combat related job. Get something technical where you learn a skill.

It's not that bad, it's all mid games. Try not to stand out, do as your told, and never try to screw over any of your battle buddies. Keep your head down, and don't draw hebdrill seargents attention to you. You do that then it's mostly just excercise and occasionally gettin yelled at as part of a group. Basic is meant break down the "Im an individual" mentallity and explain instill the "I'm a member of a team" mentality.

Having exp helps but is not a nessicity.
Also combat medic doesn't mean combat medic. The soldiers who work on base hospitals also are the same MOS (job code). If you get out in a hospital, you'll most likely never deploy and just go from base to base hospital. But medical has the most girls and the most fun with them.

Source: over six years in the army now, been to afganistan, Korea. Not an expert, just an normal guy and this is what I've experienced in regards to your questions.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.