[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wine connoisseur faggots, I need your help. I'm planning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1013504321.jpg (1MB, 7296x5472px) Image search: [Google]
1013504321.jpg
1MB, 7296x5472px
Wine connoisseur faggots, I need your help. I'm planning to take a girl as a second date to a wine bar seeing as she had an off comment that she likes wines (obviously she's not a fucking connoisseur, I'm 99% sure she doesn't know jack about them). The place is pretty fancy, at a really sweet spot though so it's a bit touristy with the food, that's where the problem comes in. I don't know shit about wines, can they even be drank without food? The food is like absurdly expensive there, I'm willing to pay to impress with some fancy wine and stuff but paying shitloads for tourist trap-esque food I'm not too big of a fan about. The place is mainly advertised as a wine bar, so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad to just order wine by itself? Or do I have to order some tapas at least or some shit? What should I ask from the waiter to recommend if I want a wine that can be drank without food, are those the sweet-light bodied or whatever the fuck wines?
>>
Red Moscato my friend :) if she says it's too sweet, then get a Cabernet :)
>>
>>18024203
Stop, and don't. You'll be rused and used like a fucking fool if you don't know anything about wines in general and you go to one of these places. Their whole deal is typically to get you comfortable with an above average wine and making you feel like a dumbass for picking something below it but doing it in the way that makes you feel like they did you a huge favor helping you "learn".

Go to a winery and do a tour with tasting. They will literally give you retard treatment as well as help you find stuff that you and she likes. You'll also probably have a good time with a group experience which is great for an early date instead of always making it just the two of you, because it gives you more things to talk about and interact with. I took my woman a few years ago having a decided distaste for wine but she liked the cheapo white dessert shit, and ended up learning a pretty decent chunk of general knowledge that was interesting, finding out I do like several types of wine and why I liked them, and she got to try out like 4 or 5 kinds she never knew about or knew she liked.
>>
>>18024203
>>18024226
Oh and generally wines range at double to triple the alcohol content of beers, yes you want food before and/or with them.
>>
>>18024226
The date's tomorrow, I'm fucked.
>>
>>18024232
Lol. Do you know what kind of wines she drinks right now at all when she says she likes wines? I don't know her obviously, but a lot of women I've met who say they like wine like a cheap $5-10 bottle of sweet dessert wine and don't necessarily mean they know anything about wine in general or care to know.
>>
>>18024236
I legitimately have no idea, the thing with the whole deal is that I want to look more fancy than I actually am and impress her, she really digs this kind of stuff. So, do you think like a cheese plate or some shit would be adequate food? I don't want to make it a full dinner, just drinking, chatting, shit like that. I only picked the place because supposedly it's the best in the city.
>>
>>18024243
Wines are a really vast subject, you're going to look like a fool if the whole idea is to look "fancy" or knowledgeable and lose a lot of credibility with this girl. Go in fully open and tell her exactly what you just said, you don't know shit about wines but thought it would be neat to go to the best rated place in your city so you could ask a professional to help you find your taste and for her to have a good time since she mentioned she liked wine.

Being open, honest, and blunt about shit like that confidently and with good humor is more impressive to most women who aren't braindead.

As an overall;
Cost does not always equate to value of wines the same way it does with a lot of liquors. There are some $10-20 bottles of wine that I personally find just as good as some $100 a bottle wines I've tried. When I did the winery thing with my woman we happened to go on a day they were doing a "wine club" meeting and people we talked to who were almost to snobby tier told us the same thing, so I'd take that one to heart.

White wines tend to be sweeter, red wines tend to be more "dry" in taste. There are a lot of exceptions but it's a good idea to steer you toward finding something for yourself and even her.

Unless you intend on getting buzzed or drunk (which isn't necessarily a bad thing on a date if the woman's going to be in the same boat), make sure you have a full meal cause a few glasses in will sneak the fuck up on you even if you hold your liquor well when you remember they float around 13% ABV. Cheeses are GREAT paired with wines if you like cheese in general. I'd do some tapas personally, seems kind of silly to sit and drink wine which will go quick when it's the only thing there to interact with.
>>
>>18024271
Thanks for the help man, I love you, I have awful oneitis with this chick and I want to get the most out of this so you quite literally saved my life. What you said about being open and blunt might just work, I'm definitely going to do that instead of becoming a google wine expert overnight.

So, the current game plan is a cheese plate and a serrano ham plate as tapas, and you said girls tend to gravitate towards dessert wines? Would that be a good fit as a start? I still do have to tell something to the waiter, right, like, I have to ask him to recommend a dessert wine instead of just flat out asking him to recommend any wine whatsoever
>>
>>18024284
Not all women by any means, just a majority of ones I've dated or talked to about wines in general.

If they offer a flight which a lot of those places do, I'd try that out with her and have some fun with trying out the shit. They'll usually "step them" for you too, because wines are meant to be consumed in a certain order when you're trying them, from lighter toward full bodied, so that you can get the best taste out of each one. Once you find something you like, I recommend sticking to that and trying out varieties of it, because going from one extreme to another back and forth can make some wines taste like shit to you that you might otherwise enjoy.

Pinot Noir is a personal favorite of mine, it's at the low/mid price range generally, is kind of sweet for a red but not really, and generally pairs up with lots of meats and cheeses well. White Moscatos are a really sweet dessert wine and red moscato I think is still considered one if I remember right, but not quit as sweet. Still well past the side of the scale I enjoy though. Cabernet Sauvignon like another anon suggested is good if you like swinging more toward the dry side. Both Rose Wines and Zinfadels are more on a sweet scale but within a tolerable level for someone like me who's not big into sweets. Blends can be really good too, I enjoy Red Bordeaux, it's a mix of Cabernet, which is almost harsh compared to a lot of the others I mentioned and Merlot, which kind of softens up the taste a bit. If you like Red Bordeaux you'll definitely like either of the other two.
>>
>>18024323
She was only available for tomorrow night next week due to work, and the place usually has those tasting nights with someone explaining shit about the wines on fridays, so it's a no-go. Or do you mean just simply telling the waiter the main plan is tasting a couple different wines? They don't seem to have moscatos, they do have the other ones you listed. If you were in my shoes and had to try out like 3 different types of wine by itself (by type I mean what you said, pinot noir, stuff like that), where would you start, where would you continue and where would you finish? You said you go from lighter to heavier but I have no idea what that means.
>>
>>18024346
Lighter to full bodied would be like drinking water, then Coke, then that "real syrup real sugar homemade" soda. It's "heavier". In regards to the taste it's nothing like just adding syrup but it's kind of a way to think about it. A regular Coke right after you get one of the gourmet sodas not only isn't going to taste as good, but there will be flavor changes your mouth causes as well.

A "flight" is something that some wine bars do and some regular bars do for beers, more often at breweries. If this is a very "upscale " place they may not have them available because they may expect you to know what you want, but even if it's not on a menu it doesn't hurt to ask, they're not going to be upset with you or snobby at you like something out of a 90s movie.

If I were going to a place and she has no idea what she wants and you don't either, I'd go something like a White Zinfandel to Merlot to a Red Bordeaux if you liked the Merlot. These all pair really well with food and you mentioned pork which red wines go pretty well with overall. They also give you a good idea of the way that whites vs. reds taste without clashing too hard. Again I favor reds so I'm biased toward this pick.

If you don't like the Merlot specifically because it's too soft and/or sweet, go with the Pinot Noir, it's a red that's a little more dry.

If it's just too heavy/bodied for you, or not sweet ENOUGH, or if she or you really likes the Zinfadel, you might go with a Red Zinfadel or a Rose Wine instead of the Bordeaux and/or the Merlot, but I wouldn't do the Bordeaux at all if you choose to skip the Merlot and instead go with the Zinfadel/Rose wine side of things. I don't like these at all but my woman is big on sweet wines on the opposite side of the scale from me and she loves them.
>>
>>18024346
>>18024398
Also, when you sample or flight wines, having crackers and water helps reset your palette so you can really tell the differences. You'll be eating, so it's not as big a deal because you won't be resetting, but having some water in between each new one will definitely help you really tell the differences, especially if you go the reds route.
>>
>>18024398
You are my favorite person and I love you forever friendo, you helped a brother out big time. I'll heed your word.
>>
>>18024413
Bro, this is the first legit "advice" thread I've seen in like a week that actually wanted advice and wasn't just some stubborn dick going for validation, trying to get his ex back, or asking about hookups or just generally being underage. Glad I could help you with some ideas. A lot of women fucking love experiencing new things just as much as you already being a know it all so have a good time and good luck.
>>
File: IMG_20161109_203241.jpg (49KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161109_203241.jpg
49KB, 300x300px
>>18024232
>>18024232
Buddy, just take her somewhere less expensive to eat first and wine at the nice place after. Plus a lot of wine is like beer... But easier. Red or white depending on if you like or sweeter or such and such. Plus whatever it says on the bottle, if it has hot peppers in it you will get a slight hint of pepper ect ect. Italian wine is good but only one bottle because its expensive as fuck. And after that just get California shit. Its cheap tasty and weird so you look like a genius when you buy a bottle.
>>
>>18024284
Rather pick s rosé instead of s desert wine, they are also sweeter in taste, but not like pure 100% Diabetes sugary.

Olives are also a good addition to the tasting. I dont know where you live, but if your in Europe maybe they have “primitivo“ (a nice redwine) or “regaleali“ (this brand has white and red wine).

Also why are you willing to pay for this whole shit by your own? You could also ask her if you share the snacks and you pay the drinks, or next time she will cook for you, (suck dick) whatever
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.