[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /adv/, I'll be moving to a new city soon to pursue

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: All three cities.jpg (228KB, 522x920px) Image search: [Google]
All three cities.jpg
228KB, 522x920px
Hey /adv/,

I'll be moving to a new city soon to pursue a Ph.D, and I'm having a difficult time learning about the 3 possible cities I'm going to. The cities are: Boston, MA (MIT); Madison, WI (Uni. of WI); and Urbana-Champaign (Uni. of IL).

I've googled about as much as I can and here's what I've found about the cities

Boston:
-Pros
>>Variety of food
>>Good public transportation
>>It's MIT
>>Easy to walk around downtown
>>Plenty of entertainment
-Cons
>>Extremely high cost of living
>>Snow everywhere
>>Might have to sell my car or leave it with one of my parents
>>Extremely liberal
>>Will have to fly to visit gf/family

Madison:
-Pros
>>Good music scene
>>Public transportation
>>Cost of living is pretty decent
>>Decent amount of entertainment
>>Near good natural scenery and tourism
>>I can keep my car
-Cons
>>More fucking snow
>>Madison lost a lot of professors in my department
>>It's in WI
>>Far from gf, will have to drive 7 hours or fly

Urbana-Champaign:
-pros
>>Cost of Living is very low
>>Uni. of IL. is the second best school I got into
>>I can keep my car
>>3 hour drive from gf
-Cons
>>In the middle of nowhere
>>Almost no local entertainment
>>Local airport is expensive to fly into/from

Just wanted to see if anyone here has had personal experience living in any of these cities or could comment on my pro/con list. Thanks for the feedback.
>>
>>18024128
something to consider about boston- the freshest of seafood will be readily available to you at all times
this would be the deciding factor for me
>>
>>18024146
I don't think seafood is the biggest deciding factor for me
>>
If you got into MIT, go to MIT. The payoff will trounce every one of those cons. Don't blow a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Also, as an Illinoisan, I can confirm that Urbana/Champaign is shitty unless you like farmland and solitude. There are even barns on campus, it's depressing as shit.
>>
>>18024128
Boston is a real city. Madison and Champaign are big college towns.
>>
>>18025165
That's why I was thinking as well.

I know MIT is obviously "the" school to go to, but I've heard some yeas and nays depending on the professor. UIUC is still a fantastic school though.

Thanks for the help so far
>>
>>18024767
way to be a wet blanket, i was making a joke
>>
>>18024128
Dude MIT is way up there with Harvard and Yale, the other schools are nothing compared to the reputation of MIT.
>>
>>18024128
Urbana Champaign is a hell hole. It's not even close to any major cities....

I didn't go there, but I would often visit my gf who went to school down there. Nearly the entire city revolves around the campus, which some people might like, but others don't. It's definitely the typical "college town" experience.
>>
you can get to every building on campus at MIT via an indoor network its awesome

Not like you're going to be leaving your office though when you start huehue

uni of IL looks like the best to me based on your pros and cons
>>
>>18026430
Well, I figured you were joking, but for some people I know, that would be a serious factor they consider.
>>
>>18024128
>>Far from gf, will have to drive 7 hours or fly

Don't treat that as a factor. You guys will break up
>>
>>18026954
We've been long distance with the same 7 hour distance for a year so far, hasn't really been an issue.
>>
>>18024128
What field of study?
>>
>>18027114
Chemistry, with an emphasis on inorganic/bioinorganic chemistry
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.