[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me choose a career

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tradeschool.jpg (12KB, 415x293px) Image search: [Google]
tradeschool.jpg
12KB, 415x293px
29 and NEET here. I fucked up a lot over the past 10 years, and have had some simple bad luck. I'm hoping to have my life set in the right direction career-wise before I turn 30, and I would appreciate any suggestions or constructive criticism you guys might have for a guy in my position. I'm not looking to achieve great things, I just want to learn a skill and eventually earn a middle-class income. I'm already a university dropout and I have no intention of going back,so I'm looking to enroll in a program at the local trade school/community college. I have narrowed it down to these choices:

>Electrician
I've actually enrolled in this program already, but I'm still keeping my options open. The work sounds interesting, it pays well once you get licensed, but the apprenticeship scares the fuck out of me. It's extremely difficult to get hired as an apprentice unless you know someone, and trying to get hired as a 30 year old loser might be impossible.

>Cook
There's lots of work in this and I am naturally talented, but the pay is extremely low.

>Trucker
I like trucks and I think I have the right personality for this job (I'm not a complete autist but I am introverted and certainly don't mind being alone for long periods of time). The problem is that I have a DUI on my record. It happened a long time ago and I am insurable, but it could still make getting a job difficult. I also hear that truck drivers are treated like total shit by their employers.

What do you guys think I should do? And do you have any other suggestions about careers I should be looking into or steps I could be taking to make myself more employable?
>>
>>18021477
>apprenticeship
I took an IT degree, but I just googled for local companies and sent an unsolicited email directly to the lead IT person at the company.
>>
any trades is good

eletrician
plumber
hvac
roofing
concrete
tiling
general contractor
>>
>>18021486
Trades are great when you have a license, but contractors don't seem to hire unlicensed apprentices unless it's someone they know.
>>
bomp
>>
Just choose the career you like most, if you work just for the money then you will never be happy. If you choose a career you really like, then you'll be good at that career; if you are good at that career, you'll be well payed. DONT CHOOSE A CAREER JUST FOR THE MONEY. YOU HAVE TO LIKE IT.
>>
>and trying to get hired as a 30 year old loser might be impossible.

Or it might be an advantage; to be mature and to know what you want to do. Some people would rather hire someone older (someone that feels more mature, or more grounded). Some young people are extremely flaky or have a poor work ethic.

It's not really so black and white as that, but just to highlight that what you expect isn't really true. The best jobs I've got have been due to my lack of experience (which I've always believed to be my fault)
>>
>>18021477
"I'm not a complete autist but I am introverted and certainly don't mind being alone for long periods of time" OP that needs to be dealt with. I have a personality disorder that makes me prefer being alone. I thought I liked being alone. Don't fall for that lie. Socializing is hard to get into, but I cannot overstate how life changing it was for my happiness in general to start doing. If you have any issues that make socializing not preferable to you those issues can be dealt with. Once you start having really positive social experiences you will want to socialize even more. You just have to find the right people that you have great chemistry with that you get along with well.

Make sure you're not just asking 4chan for advice about this. I'm guessing you're doing way more research on google but I just wanted to make sure.

>and trying to get hired as a 30 year old loser might be impossible.

I can't tell if you're just joking with that statement or not. If you're serious, listen. I'm almost 30 too. You're not a loser, You'll never be a loser. You are still incredibly young. Don't worry so much about how hard it will be to get hired. Just focus on getting hired and it will happen. There's no reason that it would not happen if you use basic common sense to make sure you're not doing anything majorly bad to prevent yourself from being hired. Your age should not get in the way at all of this happening.

>I like trucks
Every person I know who got into trucking hated trucking. You don't want to do trucking. Most of your day you're on a road and away from friends and family and everything. It makes living a balanced happy life much harder. Don't do that to yourself.

Think more deeply about what you want to do. You only have one life to live. Pick something you actually want. Don't listen to doubts saying you can't do what you want. Yes you can do what you want. Make it your choice to do what you want for a living. You can make it happen.
>>
>>18021753
>You only have one life to live. Pick something you actually want. Don't listen to doubts saying you can't do what you want. Yes you can do what you want. Make it your choice to do what you want for a living. You can make it happen.

No offense, but that sounds like a crock of starry-eyed horse shit.
>>
>>18021705
No one will give me a fuckin job. I need to be practical above all else.
>>
ey opi, same age here kinda same background
why you ruled out IT? do some basic course for few months and be some sort of IT or communications technician, i knew several ppl who went that route cause they didn't want to get a proper degree. the salary ceiling is not as high as you would would get with a uni paper but it's like low mid class even if you're lazy
>>
>>18023240
I've never really thought about it, I guess it makes sense considering that I already spend too much time at the computer. I'm worried about having to compete with Pajeet who has a CS degree and is willing to work for dog shit, as well as all of the kids who are coming out of highschool and are more computer literate than me. Also, working in industrial trades is just more interesting to me. And I'm not sure where to start sifting through all of the IT programs that are available, there are a lot of them and I'm not sure which ones are bullshit mickey mouse diplomas.
>>
>>18023308
i'm not very knowledgeable about that field, do some research it's a nice possibility imo, most of the young kids out of college will focus on the more shining work places and will be more picky, so there will always be a demand somewhere
as something more industrial maybe cnc? it pays nicely in my country
>>
I think I am just going to go work as a factory laborer or something for a few years until I qualify to get my DUI expunged, then I will become a trucker.
>>
>>18023368
Interesting idea
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.