[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Choice of college major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1484010267145.jpg (263KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
1484010267145.jpg
263KB, 1280x960px
So I'm going off to college next year.
However, I can't decide what should I study.

Here are the options I've been considering:

>Chemistry (3y BS) + BioChem&OrgChem (2y MS)
I've only recently (let's say a year ago) become interested in this area, mostly medicinal biochemistry/pharmacology but my grades are not nearly good enough to enroll in those majors so I'd have to settle for simple chem with a possible specialization in biochem/orgchem.
I'm afraid that I'll lose interest in this area just as fast as I've gained it, and that I will also ruin my life with dependence/addiction issues.

>Computer Science (3y BS) + IT (2y MS)
Computers have always been a huge part of my life and despite never showing any focused interest, I've been following most of IT news, moreso hardware.
I know the basics of networking and basic-level programming (C++ up until OOP) but I think more importantly, have a lot of first hand practical experience and simply understand how computers work at a low level. Easy as fuck to get into, I got 80% when I tried to solve a national HS exam in IT without any studying.

>Mech.Eng (3y BS) + Automotive Engineering (+2y MS)
I've shown similar interest in cars that I have in computers, understanding how engines and every one of their parts work, even spending hundreds of hours using specialized simulations of automotive physics related stuff.
However, I think there's too much math and physics. This is my backup.

>Medicine (6y MD)
There's a very small chance that I manage to get into this college, and if I do, it's going to be a very rough path.
I think simply understanding how the human body works is a fine art in itself, but I don't think I'm motivated enough to become an actual doctor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TL;DR What major? Chem - Want pharmacology but grades are shit. I like drugs a LOT. CS - Always liked computers and not a hard college to get into. MechEng - Like it but too much math/physics. Med - I don't know why
>>
>>18010520
Don't go into computer sciences. That shits gonna die pretty soon because everybody and their mother is telling everybody and their mother to go into IT. The market will be so over-saturated that you will NOT find a job. Tbh, if these are the only options, you're fucked.
>>
>>18010559
There isn't much more I'm interested in.
What the fuck more is there anyway? Maths, economy?
>>
DO NOT go into chemistry or any type of science unless you plan on going into med/dental/etc after.
Hard ass majors that do not help with landing jobs.
Engineering is a good bet, especially with the whole visa ban getting enacted. They always need engineers.
Are you at all interested in business? I'm in accounting and we're basically swimming in job offers so don't rule anything out before you get there and scope things out
>>
File: 1439670367653.jpg (36KB, 316x224px) Image search: [Google]
1439670367653.jpg
36KB, 316x224px
mech + automotive would be good, but then again im biased because i work in the auto industry.

desu the industry is crazy stressful due to competition, market fluctuation and low margins. you could expand your options by going into metallurgy or something instead.

i love and hate my job. im not an engineer though.

another thing is you may be better off just getting a BS in engineering and doing an internship with an OEM or supplier and you may put the MS on the shelf for later. it's the better route desu
>>
>>18010629
>Are you at all interested in business? I'm in accounting and we're basically swimming in job offers so don't rule anything out before you get there and scope things out
I find business/economy to be the most soul sucking careers, but that's just me I guess.

>>18010690
I'm not that interested in metallurgy but I suppose you have to know how to weld if you're going for automotive engineering.

Also, I would be considered a failure if I don't get a Master's.
Nice Twongi.
>>
>>18010735
>I'm not that interested in metallurgy but I suppose you have to know how to weld if you're going for automotive engineering.

I was thinking more in terms of forging, stamping, casting, heat treatments, induction hardening, etc. I work with a lot of steel and think it's super interesting. There's just so much that goes into steel manufacturing that most people never think about or see.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.