[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too old for university. Too old for life.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: contemplating suicide.jpg (27KB, 840x405px) Image search: [Google]
contemplating suicide.jpg
27KB, 840x405px
I'm 22 years old and I'm not sure if i'm already too old to go to university. I wanted to do environmental engineering but a guy on r9k told me that at 22 I should already be graduating from something, not starting it. He advised me to go to trade school instead but i don't know. What sort of trade should i do? I'm not skilled on anything. Should i just end it? I feel like i've reached a dead end in my life and it's all over for me. What should i do?
>>
I'm 31 and would kill to be in your shoes.
faggot, just do it
>>
>>18009608
One of my best friends is 27/28 right now and has only recently gotten his bachelor's degree in environmental engineering, my other best friend is 25 now and getting his degree in renewable energies.

Don't sweat it bro, from my point of view you're alright.
>>
>advices from r9k
Dude, if you get everything right you will be 25 with a degree, there is some 35yo here studying
>>
>>18009608
>too old for university
I know people in university who are in their 40s. I'll leave you to make your conclusions
>>
>r9k

Fuck that place, fuck that moron.

People have all sorts of different circumstances, not everyone can go to university at 18. Some may even go twice, simply to retrain into a different field. It's only recently in the last 20 years that sailing straight through high school to university with a clear 40 year life-plan has become the de-facto middle class scenario of success, and it will eventually burst when graduate pay diminishes to a point where it can no longer sustain the debt burden of tuition fees.

In short, if it's something you're passionate about pursuing, some retard on a board full of self-styled social outcasts should not be able to dissuade you.
>>
OP here, okay thank you guys. I feel better, and that is saying something because before making this thread i really wanted to kill myself.
>>
>>18009608
>Too old for university
>22

That's a crock of shit, and I'm not even one of those people who thinks "it's never too late." I'd say once you hit 35 it's too late to go to university and expect to actually do anything with your degree.

Trades are a good idea too, though. It takes a while to get good at that stuff, but it isn't rocket science and you don't need to be skilled going in.
>>
27 and in college.

Just do it
>>
>>18009687

I'm 22 and I just went back. I do online for Computer Programming, my life has never been so cash.
>>
>>18009687
Shit man I'm 22 and about to graduate and I wish I had started at 22 since I'm more mature and could of had a better run of it than at 18. You'll do fine
>>
I'm 23. I'm a year into my degree after a period of break time. You're alright, mate.
>>
>>18009608
I didn't start college until I was 24.
>>
>>18009698

> I'd say once you hit 35 it's too late to go to university and expect to actually do anything with your degree.

Not so, there are cases where you may develop a career in an industry before going to college where a degree will later become advantageous for career progression (i.e. moving into management) with the relevant experience you developed before undertaking the degree. In some cases your employer may even sponsor your education or allow you to do it part time with work.
>>
I've studied both at 18 (and failed) and later and must say it was much better later because I knew what I wanted to do better and was more motivated.
>>
>too old for university

Yeah, as we all know life ends at 40. By that time you're most probably dead, and with grandchildren.

No really, go fuck yourself.
>>
>>18009608
Im finishing a degree at 25. litterally nobody cares bro.
>>
>>18009608
Mate my grand dad didn't go to university until he was in his 40s, fuck off you're too old. Granted, if you want to get a career through college then sooner is better than later but even then you've got hella time

Doing a trade is also a good idea, if you can get an apprenticeship then that'll have you fully qualified in a trade and has the benefit of earning money while you study rather than accruing massive debts (depending on where you live)

Also
>What sort of trade should i do? I'm not skilled on anything.

That's why you go learn a trade, to get skilled af
>>
File: Big-eared-townsend-fledermaus.jpg (49KB, 617x375px) Image search: [Google]
Big-eared-townsend-fledermaus.jpg
49KB, 617x375px
father was fucking around until 23, graduated at 27, doing mcjobs
now i've been living at my own flat since 18 lel
>>
Bless your heart OP - you are so young and have so many doors still open to you!

I originally did a degree at 18 but like another anon here said it's possible to go back to uni to retrain which I have done.....and I'm 32 - I'm loving it!

It's never too late, don't let anybody dictate what you can and can't do....especially not somebody on the internet?!
>>
>>18009608
Yeah, I'm in your shoes. I'm almost 24 and have always done terrible in school. I cant fucking concentrate. I hate being in my hometown and feel utterly shamed and mocked for being here.

Fucking hell, my only option seems to be go to school and put my life on hold even more until I'm almost fucking 30 years old.
>>
File: download_20170131_160039.png (969KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
download_20170131_160039.png
969KB, 1080x1080px
You're never too old
>>
There are no dead ends in life just because of your age unless you're in the fucking womb or something. Everyday is another day to try something new because you're living in a free country where you don't choose your job when you're fucking 12. Either take advantage of your freedom and get a job you want or sit on your ass, live off welfare and eventually kill yourself.
>>
>>18009608
Yeah you're 4 years younger than me and I could theoretically go back to university if I had the money. Fucking do it you clown.
>>
I'm 27 years old and I'm in university. Get a grip motherfucker.
>>
>>18009661
By "here", do you mean /adv/? Because if so, I'm probably that 35 year old.
>>
I'm 22 and just went back to university, you're totally good. School is a lot easier now and I understand life a lot better than I did my first time around as a dumbass 18 year old. I'm in 2 sophomore level classes with 19 year olds and nobody even knows i'm 22. Go for it man, best thing i've ever done with my life.
>>
>Falling for the school meme. You can self teach anything you ever want to know to a Better degree of competency with the help of the internet. Costs a fraction of the money as well.
>>
>>18009608
I'm in courses with 40-year-olds at my Uni. Just go
>>
>>18010012
helps to
>have actual tasks to work towards, and to get feedback from professors
>surround yourself with a social circle who is going through the same thing as you
>network with other people who will be going into the same field as you
>get accreditation for your skill so you aren't just asking employers to take your word for it

of course teaching yourself has it merits, but claiming that school is a meme, is a meme
>>
File: 1466400023599.jpg (52KB, 620x670px) Image search: [Google]
1466400023599.jpg
52KB, 620x670px
>>18010037
Damn you found me out!
>>
>>18009608
>22
>old

Anon, you're only newly an adult. Go out and get that degree
>>
>>18009608
>to old

you what? im 25 (turning 26) and i got friends my age going to university.

hell they meet people on their 30s going to university
>>
>>18009608
I am 21 in university gonna change my subject. So I am going to be in 1st semeser with 22. I know some guys wo start uni at 19 20 or even 22. 4 year bachelor 2 year master 3year training afterwards(maybe) so I will be done with 31 and that's really ok
Doen't know what the big deal is.
Also do'tfall for the bachelor meme, you need that MA
>>
>>18009608
>I'm 22 years old and I'm not sure if i'm already too old to go to university.
People after 60 are still going to college and improving their lives. If you're letting age hold you back, you're never going to get anywhere. As a 22 year old, you're still pretty much a baby.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.