[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this generation so depressed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 12

File: 1473474061322.jpg (13KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1473474061322.jpg
13KB, 500x375px
Why is this generation so depressed?
>>
>>17997144
They are godless and submerged in superficial psuedo culture of drugs and sex
>>
I think it's social media.
People see images of their friends or other normies out having adventures, having nice things, and going on nice vacations.
So now people compare themselves to these happy people, wishing they could have the same kind of experiences.
>>
Because the women of this era are fucking trainwrecks
>>
Boomers like to leave messes and don't pick up after themselves
>>
>>17997153

Mostly this.

People only show the successful parts of their lifes on social media. So nobody realizes that everybody goes through hard work, effort and pain to conquer things.
>>
>>17997144
With the internet you have a connection to people all over the planet, and by extension a connection to everyone's lives. Now since people only show off the good part of their lives, you open social media or any other site for that matter and you're bombarded by people going on exotic trips, that one 8 year old Asian that is 10x better than you at guitar, and people living lives 'better' than yours and it makes people feel like shit.
>>
>>17997153
>>17997164
>>17997169
I don't think that this is the cause. This generation doesn't seem to be that jealous.
>>
File: cathfam.jpg (150KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
cathfam.jpg
150KB, 640x445px
>>17997144
Three main reasons
1) They have been denied access to any coherent philosophical framework, meaning they are capable of only measuring things by materialistic comparisons. Since materialism by itself cannot even address the full array of human needs, they are unfulfilled metaphysically
2) The materialistic worldview of society at large makes counter-factual claims about things like 'equality' and such, meaning that they have been told that failure is not part of growth and maturity, but a character flaw. This leads to avoidance behavior where any chance to fail is avoided. the inevitable result are people who lack resilience, maturity, and true ambition. In the absence of these traits people mistake listlessness and anhedonia for depression.
3) There is a cultural impetus towards conformity of thought regarding love, marriage, and childbirth that denies the validity of being married, having children, raising a family as a primary goal, especially for people in their 20's. The drastic uptick in women feeling depression is not seen among those subcultures (Mormons, devout Catholics, orthodox Jews, etc.) that still advocate for women to be primarily wives and mothers. Arguably the vast numbers of women who are being ordered to delay marriage and childbirth are depressed because they are being denied/denying themselves what they truly want.

top of my head
>>
The systematic destruction of the family unit

/thread
>>
>>17997249
The industrial revolution already did that 200 years ago when it destroyed the traditional family model that had worked for thousands of years in favor of the nuclear family which is a more efficient consumer.
>>
>>17997176
It's not a case of jealousy it's a case of thinking that everyone else's lives are so much better than yours.
>>
>>17997144
Our generation has been promised a life of snowflakery and have a hard time coping with the fact that the world WASN'T waiting for us, and that we won't all become the great leaders, inventors and superstars our parents encouraged us to become.

it's basically a misunderstanding: Parents wanting to make their children have high aspirations that would motivate them into working hard on themselves to improve has led to us becoming convinced that we already ARE our goals, and now we're falling flat on our faces because the truth is we aren't.

Also it may pretty with the acknowledging of clinical depression, cases that would formerly have not been observed are now being recorded, so in a way it could be speculated that we've always been so depressed, but only now do we try to treat it, and naturally through social media a lot of people have basically no difficulty broadcasting their emotional turmoil.
>>
>>17997215
Lol wrong.
>>
>>17997144
Do you believe in God? Do you prioritize interpersonal responsibilities over personal happiness?
>>
>>17997144
Good question.

1. I don't think it's as widespread as you might think. There are a LOT of people on the planet. There are a ton who are enjoying their lives, right now, or at least have something to look forward to. People who are frustrated or are going through a tough time aren't necessarily depressed, because that is normal. It really only applies if you stretch the concept of the depressed to mean "anyone who isn't almost literally bursting out of their own skin with joy 24/7". So, depressed to me means deep and consistent feelings of utter failure, low energy, low motivation to live, high motivation to commit suicide, with years of experiencing this.

2. I don't think it's just this generation. The internet has just made it easier to detect. You can imagine that for every generation, for thousands of years, there have probably been hundreds of thousands of people always that were depressed, never procreated, their genes fizzling out, etc. Because there are new developments in each generation, it's like the population goes through a molting phase and then emerges as something new, leaving behind the empty shell (all the people who could not adapt and synchronize with those demanding changes, hence causing depression).

3. Advancements in science and tech in turn affect the advancements in politics and culture and vice versa. Globalism is the very natural byproduct of the advent of computer networking tech and vice versa. The world is moving forward in a particular direction. This generation's depression is widely influenced by the internet, and the demands of globalism; people who can't adapt to those demands.

It is also genetic. Not everyone who can't adapt becomes depressed. Some become extremists or just angry. They try to force everything else to adapt to them instead. Depressed people are genetically predisposed to cowardice and striving towards comfort rather than becoming destructive.

1/2
>>
>>17997325
2/2

The internet has made it easier to sense the differences between levels of individuals. Granted, there were still very obvious examples —a peasant looking up and onward at the king and queen, etc. But there was greater distance between the peasant and the king and queen back then, so he comforted himself more easily. There's much less distance now. Granted, many successful people are born from successful, wealthy parents, but there are a lot who aren't. Hard work does get people places, and having connections. People feel more easily now that it is not their lack of birthright that makes them poor or incompetent, but they themselves are the problem.

The internet also makes it so much easier to see how others' lives are. Of course, a lot of it is bullshit. A good deal of people posting on social media showing their happy fun lives are forcing it so they can compete with the people who are really enjoying the high life. But there are still a ton who ARE enjoying the high life, and it's out there in the open for EVERYONE to see. Naturally, you're gonna get people reacting to that.

The increased exposure to others' lives and changes in culture, politics and business have made people much more calculating as well. We have so much entertainment (another symptom of these changes -- increased desire to escape reality), and there are tons of kids (including myself) who are raised in that world of fiction. Being raised like that makes you rather matter-of-factly, a face-value type of person, due to most entertainment's emphasis on the emotions, and then you're faced with the world of reality... which is not matter-of-factly at all, and can appear very calculating and cold to you. And it appeared this way to the artists too, who then went on to make entertainment that focused on the emotions.

So, yeah. There are a ton of reasons. The real solution here is to think less and live more.
>>
>>17997325
Very interesting, thanks anon
>>
>>17997303
....go on....
>>
>>17997164
>So nobody realizes that everybody goes through hard work, effort and pain to conquer things
Uh, no. Every friend I have in high school has both parents still alive, had their tuition paid for, was never single longer than a week, and have no less than 6 friends they see every couple days. They are all home owners now (8 years after high school), most are engaged or married. The hardest thing they had to go through was stupid college breakups and shit. Or Trump winning the election.
>>
>>17997325
>>17997340
Correctarino
>>
Rape being illegal

Women being allowed to divorce and cheat without the punishment of death

High fructose corn syrup

Baby boomers
>>
>>17997471

/r9k/ is that way
>>>>
>>
>>17997340
>think less and live more

How?
>>
>>17997144
My top 3:
>Egocentric Attitude
>Jealousy / Envy of others
>Social comparison bias (i.e wanting to fit in)

People are afraid of being their own person because they fear of being rejected by the social majority, instead find a group to fit in that doesn't care much for who you are because they're too drunk / high / uninterested to care.

I don't remember who said it but it sums up the widespread depression among our peers; "Social media connected all of us as never before, and destroyed our ability to communicate."

Honestly people need to stop envying others for what they have, because take it from someone that never had money troubles; money brings temporary joy, but not happiness.

tl;dr people are too focused on what others think of them and never feel good enough, creating an endless spiral of shit self-esteem and constantly comparing their life to that of others.
>>
File: O-oh.jpg (20KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
O-oh.jpg
20KB, 500x335px
Not advice, but here.

Social media has been proven to increase cases of depression. Social media is also rampant today.

A much more competitve high school, college, and career life which translates to increased stress in all. Nevermind the fact that college does nothing nowadays. Also lmao entry levels jobs that require experience.

Prices have also risen for necessities faster than wages have increased. You can't move out or move as easily as you could in the past. Student loans can fit here.

Now we move into fringe reasons, but I think they're valid.

Many people live in areas that are overcrowded. Not in the sense that physical reasources are drained, but in the sense that economic and social reasources are drained and even depleted. It's very consistent with the theory of the behavioral sink. There are many parallels between that idea and what we are experiencing today.

Escapism plagues socoety and leads to postive feedback loop where it leads to long term unhappiness and more escapism.

Just my $0.02
>>
>>17997270
>>17997176
i think someone wrote a paper on this
because people only post nice thing on social media so you think every one having nice thing but not you
while this happen to every one
>>
>>17997144
They think they're entitled to whatever they want then get depressed when they can't have it.
>>
>>17997144
The west is dying a slow but certain death at the hands of cultural marxism and globalism, bringing an end to our way of life, and in many cases, ensuring the extinction of our very peoples.

The time of the West has ended. The time of the Chink, Mudslime and Nignog has dawned, bringing forth with it the next dark ages, and possible end of all that our forefathers built.

Why would we be happy?
The mouse society is dying, and we are the beautiful ones. The last generation before the final collapse.
>>
I don't know why I'm depressed.
I guess it's because I feel like I can't connect with others.
Even if I were to try, everybody else seems to have like 6,000 other applicants on social media, so if a person doesn't something about you in the slightest, you just get shafted without explanation and it makes it difficult to grow as a person.
It doesn't help that I didn't grow up in this shit. I grew up alone. Hell if my mother had money to buy me an iphone when I was 8. We were living off instant rice and potatoes.

It seems like it doesn't matter how hard I try or work, ultimately I'm just compared to somebody else, somebody on social media who can do it better.

Perhaps that's what it is. We needed more people when we weren't able to connect as easily, but now that we can connect from anywhere, the world seems both overcrowded and alone at the same time. If there are so many people and it's so easy to connect, why am I always alone? I guess it'd be hard to not take that personally. People trying their best and becoming great at what they do being outshined by somebody that's easier for them to connect to. Why do anything. Might as well just kill yourself, re-roll, and hope for better stats next time.
>>
>>17997144
Too many choices from partners, jobs, education, etc. If life was more simple like past days then people would happier. Also, too little real human interaction and too much reliance on tech.
>>
Because there is never enough money.

Because people think it's ok to have no morals.

Because trust is a hard thing to find.
>>
>>17997144
>Previous generations: Who cares if you're happy all the time? Be responsible and do what's best for your family. Follow through on your commitments, even if it isn't fun.
>Our parents: Who cares what other people think of you!?! Don't let ANYBODY tie you down! Just focus on making yourself happy!! If your family doesn't make you happy anymore, leave them!
>>
>>17997215
What are few examples of a "coherent philosophical framework"?
>>
File: WIN_20160913_23_38_50_Pro.jpg (53KB, 614x326px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20160913_23_38_50_Pro.jpg
53KB, 614x326px
it really isn't it just seems like it

in the '60's, if a kid was depressed, he would stay at home removed from the world and whine in his diary.

Nowadays, every single depressed kid rants about it 24/7 on the internet therefore you see depression everywhere
>>
My theory kind of revolves around the rapid decline in attention span.
The younger generation is all about instant gratification. If its not instantaneous, they feel like a failure. Those failures add up and make them feel down. They don't seem to grasp that shit takes time, and you're not failing by having to wait for it and continue working at it.
Because their attention span is so short they can't grasp that this is how it's supposed to be. It's not supposed to be instantaneous or fast, but they can't stay focused on one thing for too long.

As to what caused this drop in attention span, well the culprit isn't exactly hidden. It's the rapid advancement in technology. I'm not one of those old farts saying technology is evil, just not blind to the fact that whole technology is a wonderful thing and has advanced us as a society in some ways, it's also set us back in others. There's consequences to all good things really, you just have to decide if those consequences are large enough to overshadow the benefits.
>>
>>17997144
i think it is the electricity in general. I always tought world was a much happier place in 18th century then the electricity came and the laziness etc.
>>
>>17997144
We live in a time where were to late to explore the world and to early to explore the galaxy
>>
>>17997144

The definition of depression has changed for the broader. There is little reason to think people are actually more depressed now.
>>
>>17997266
To be fair, the nuclar unit was itself far better than the shit we have today, where people opt for singularity parenting more and more, or just having kids without wedding first. As of the early '10s, we're even making designer babies and polyamorous relationships possible.

Point is we're slowly degenerating as a species in the first world.
>>
>>17997144
the thing is, this is a new age, the ending of a large narrative, this is our new narrative. Post-modernization is not only centered around the 40s and 70s, but its roots can be traced all the way back to the 1300s and the black death. the ending of the totalitarian "era"
the thing is, when this happened we started to look more to our selves, and the frontal cortext of the brain, the one responsible for self-reflection is one of the main causes of depression. it all can be tied into the ideas of the information era.
>>
>most millennials won't make it past 70
Even with advances in medicine and prevention most millennials will make it to like 65 and start losing the will to live. Ok 70 might be cutting it short but really think about it.

>>17998181
Some dumbass doctor came up with Seasonal Affective Disorder (yes SAD) in the 80's. I knew a girl who said she had it. What a fucking joke.
>>
I'm really really depressed because I wasted my life. I was intelligent enough that I could have succeeded in something in theory. But I was abused by parents and I had cancer and so then I went to school and was 85% selective mute like I would just in the lunch room and I felt like I was in extreme danger, I could barely move my neck I was so scared and I could barely look up and talk. People would ignore or laugh at me or basically just toy with me and see how humiliated I could be without fighting back. So I literally never talked to anyone and never made a friend in school. I went to uni anyway and I tried for 3 years but my new found friendships were weak and eventually I did nothing apart from occasionally go to class. I couldn't deal with the academic pressure on top of being so alone so I never finished. 4 years later I got a ldr boyfriend and did about 5 months of work in total. Been unemployed for 20 months now. And more so than not having a career or money to brag about - I'm just so desperately sad that I've never sat down with friends and had a genuine laugh. The sorrow is too much to bear at this stage.
>>
>>17997215
>They have been told that failure is not part of growth and maturity, but a character flaw. This leads to avoidance behavior where any chance to fail is avoided.

True, I didn't realize this until pretty recently.
>>
File: 1420554581881.png (95KB, 296x267px) Image search: [Google]
1420554581881.png
95KB, 296x267px
My take on it is a bit different.

The internet plays a big role in it, but not because "muh happeh pikchurs", but because it made it possible to be digitally surrounded by likeminded people whenever you want.

Before the internet era, it was you and the people around you in your daily real life. No guarantee they would be compatible, but there was a mutual effort at least try and make it work. You didn't know any better, but you knew you would be completely alone without these people, because there was no alternative, so you and them would keep one another company and get to know each other. Maybe the bonds were out of necessity, but they were there.

The internet became that alternative, and a very "instant gratificating" one.

Once you found a place full of people with your exact same outlook on life, hobbies, sports and so on, a place where to debate about and ask help or suggestions/counseling about anything, full of entertainment on the palm of your hand, the necessity to make the best out of your surroundings worn off. The clique you went out with is still there, but it's just "people", socialfaggotry is still necessary, but a necessary burden. You can find "better" "company" somewhere else, but so can they, and that's very deflating because it's all very convenient but it kinda kills humanity in interactions.
>>
>>17998405
There, there.
It'll get better.
You just need to learn to transcend humanity like doctor Manhattan, and colonize the moon.
>>
>>17997147
What he said.
>>
>>17998545
I think the old way just taught people to learn to love.

Sure some people can come off as huge pieces of shit, but you get to know them well enough, and you'll learn why. People just don't want to get close to anybody they find even slightly undesirable now, and so I think they miss out on a lot of great friendships.

We all come from different places, so there is bound to be some grit. It isn't what separates us that makes us strong though, it's what brings us together.
>>
>>17998545
This one seems the closest to true to me. I think it can apply to cell phones as well. Like people being able to text and call whoever whenever as well.
>>
>>17997144
An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars, advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.
>>
>>17997144
social media
>>
>>17997147

This
>>
I'm not depressed just mildly upset sometimes. I was dealt the cancer card at age 3, few years down the road it caused growth defects and a body that I loathe to be in everyday. My generation mostly only cares about the outside anyways by this point and when you grow up with that in mind you feel even more upset about it. I've tried to get over the fact of that, I'm lucky to be alive I only had a 15% chance if living but no one cares about your past it's all about what you look like in my case. I've some how managed to get a girlfriend, but I'm anxious to even show her what I look like, and I'm nervous that she could find someone better. Either way from my personal experience I feel like thats why we're mostly depressed, the thought if comparing and contrasting each other constantly and wishing we had things we didn't have and sorts while forgetting to make do with what we have
>>
>>17998721
Sorry man. I had cancer at 4 and it's so hard to move on cause my teeth were ruined for good and have irreversible long term health problems. Plus the low quality of life I've had since then makes me realise how beautiful it would have been to die back 22 years ago
>>
>>17998765
As much as it would've been satisfying to die at a young age probably reverse the perspective a little and try and see the good in what came of it, you were still able to experience what life has to offer whether it be good or bad you're able to say "Hey I've seen this/done this I know what it's like". As much as I hate it I try to push it as much as I can becuase not only am I giving up on myself but I'm giving up everyone who chose to standby me and take care of me when I was dying
>>
>>17997147

100x this. Hollywood is our new false idol. Now so more then ever because of ease of accses. Our biological bodies suffer because we are not living true to our nature.
>>
>>17997144
because everything is shit my boy
you see there is this whacky thing called economics and all has been going to shit for a while
you see feminist, marxism, liberalism. These are all things that thrive when the economy does bad and there is a depressed job market dog
so all your homeys that were suppossed to be working, bettering their lives and starting familys cant because there isnt stability or job security and they can barely afford a place for themselves let alone raising children
so you are stuck in a world with less class mobility than ever and every year that comes you are more poor and the only people proposing something different actually want something worse because they are commies who are totally lame and they want to make you give up your freedoms wich is not cool you dig?
>>
>giving a shit about my peers being depressed
>not even once

I'm over here enjoying life every single day. Ok, I lied I sometimes I do give a shit and I wish they'd just quit complaining because it's annoying.
>>
>>17997147
One can be unreligious and ethical or moral, and not partake in the hedonistic culture of our age.

Religion was just a way to make the majority behave.
>>
moral decline t b h
>>
File: 1485207195629.jpg (50KB, 500x486px) Image search: [Google]
1485207195629.jpg
50KB, 500x486px
>>17997147
>submerged
>sex
>>
social media and the internet

we're in too deep now but im 100% certain the phenomenon of social media is causing mental health issues

like pigs in a battery farm, getting a mindless fix of dopamine by lurking through the internet and sharing articles on how doing X is bad to validate their beliefs to their social group who all believe the same thing anyways
>>
>>17998863
We'd like to think we've evolved past the need for organized religion, but we sure as fuck haven't figured out another way to fulfill the purpose it serves in a successful society. It doesn't just "make the majority behave," it provides social structure and a sense of purpose.
>>
>>17997144
The advent of mass media coupled with romanticism convinced everyone that there should be "something more" to life, which is horseshit. Post-modernism made everyone into cynics, which is also horseshit. You have a global population that is plugged into entertainment media that convinces them they are missing something meaningful and important from their lives, and they are also convinced that nothing can be meaningful or important. You have three entire generations of people convinced they need something that they also believe doesn't exist.

Some people are bound to lose hope.

>>17997147
Not even fucking close. Animals are godless and all they care about is eating and reproducing--how many animals commit suicide? How many animals are even observed to be depressed unless they lose a life-long mate? Fucking dipshit.
>>
>>17998792
But it doesn't give me any comfort or satisfaction at all to say hey at least I lived to try sushi or climb a mountain etc
>>
File: suck.jpg (66KB, 650x819px) Image search: [Google]
suck.jpg
66KB, 650x819px
>>17997215
This, esp. #2.

A certain amount of languor, as well, causes problems. When you're busy battling an existential threat like famine or rapidly-onsetting winter, you don't have time or energy to worry about minutia.
For that reason alone, I suggest that men with depression or ennui take a dangerous job. Not being killed a couple of times really puts things in perspective.

Don't downplay the role of religion and community here. We're a social species, and need contact, even when we don't truly want it. Avoiding the biological imperative to be fruitful and multiply had a cost, too, which is why childless women are absolutely the most obnoxious and sad people on earth.
>>
>>17998942
It's not exciting probably but you're still here to do it, even if it's the most generic thing you can thing you can think of, be happy you're still here to do it. Life could've ended short and "sweet" but it didn't. It opened a new world of opportunities for both you and me to see life in a different perspective. It's not the best mind you, but it gives you an entirely different reason to make the best in life as much as you can and even if you can't do that if gives you a chance to share your experience and help others not feel so alone because I know no one can ever put themselves in your shoes or mine unless they went through what we did and if they have you give them hope that some day they might just be able to live a "normal" life too
>>
>>17997153
Abso-fucking-lutely
>>
Are there any statistical evidence of this "generation" depression and self hate? So far the only examples I've seen are majority in 4chan,and it's mostly Americans. In my third world shithole everyone seems to be happy.
>>
>>17999325
America is pretty much at the "Fall of Rome" stage right now.
>>
>>17999327
Are you for real? For the past years I always thought this diversity thing, the whole /pol/ belief was limited to the internet only, not in real life. But for the past few years, the movements, the protests, the "alt-right" craze, the internet, no, social media (that includes 4chan, twitter, tumblr, etc..) have become so intertwined with reality. Actually, American reality to be specific, or at least that's how I see it. I browse a lot of Discord servers and the ones that majority Americans usually have this "depressed" or "nihilistic" vibe, and I may be biased. I just can't believe this. This is the state of American culture? I just refuse to believe it.
>>
>>17997147
>christcucks

id rather be depressed than deluded desu
>>
>>17997144
An obsession of drugs, alchohol,sex and social media has really fucked this generation.
>>
>>17999870
I take neither and I'm still fucked up, dig deeper
>>
>>17997144
ED and 4chin made me into a sociopathic nihilist.

Made me pretty charismatic tho
>>
>>17997144
We're the first generation doing categorically worse than our parents did.

When my mom was my age, she had already had 2 kids, divorced my father, and bought ANOTHER house for us to live in afterward.

I can barely afford to split rent on a falling apart 2 bedroom with my brother while I have NO FUCKING IDEA how to socialize with people my age that aren't either single-mom tier used goods or other various internet recluses I occasionally pass in my own introverted reclusedom.

It's super fucking depressing chief.
>>
Because our lives are fundamentally different and difficult from every generation prior to us and we have to way to relate or seek advice as we pioneer into this hi tech digitally infused age.
>>
File: MENTAL_CRISIS.png (230KB, 1844x515px) Image search: [Google]
MENTAL_CRISIS.png
230KB, 1844x515px
>>17999874
Bump
>>
File: db241_fig1[1].png (109KB, 960x801px) Image search: [Google]
db241_fig1[1].png
109KB, 960x801px
>>17999343
Americans are miserable desu.
>>
>>18000027
>>18000008
More of these pls.

Show me how bad it is, Doc.
>>
The MTV generation is bald now.

MTV doesn't even play music anymore.

Nobody lives or is capable of reaching what would have been considered a sane way of life by yesteryear's standards.

"Generations" are rapidly disappearing as mainstream propagandists lump them all together and blame them for the system that was handed down to them.

People are taught and conditioned to hate each other.

Free-thinkers and harmony-makers are hunted down and taken out as quickly as they are spotted.

Bankers own everything; ordinary workers are paid in debt while the money elite position themselves to become the pampered masters of socialism when it finally reigns supreme.

Did you need advice with something?
>>
>>18000314
I am an American and I am not miserable, but I attest, most of the country are Slaves. Mind Slaves, sick in soul and body, addicted to drugs and propaganda. They live in communist condos and never see one another despite living among millions. Who will save us? We are all turning into farmers again as we recognize our enforced peasantry.
>>
>>18000327
The modern world is 1984.

Following the law of human nature, society divides itself into three groups. There's the high, the middle, and the low.

The high attack the middle every chance they get, while manipulating the low into also attacking the middle. The low are as carefree as livestock, while the middle are systematically stripped of everything and branded criminals to justify any imaginable mistreatment.

The purpose is to prevent the high from being replaced by the mid. If nature is allowed to run its course, then once every so often the high and the mid trade places through war. The low are low simply because they refuse or fail to be anything else.

All the official information is part of one eternal gaslighting trick. The state does not persuade people that war is peace; it just buries people under such vast and obvious misinformation that real information simply ceases to exist. The low group will never challenge this propaganda, and anyone in the middle trying to challenge it will simply disappear.
>>
I blame this board

Listening to all you people's dumbshit problems would make anyone depressed
>>
>>18000349
Faulty cause and effect.

People aren't depressed because of this board. This board is shit because we're living in the awkward moment between two entirely different eras.
>>
>>17997144
Lack of exercise and sunlight. Social media. General sedentary lifestyle, poor diet, pollutants. Lack of community and deep interpersonal connection.
>>
Is this generation really so depressed? Teenage suicides were a lot more numerous during the 19th. century than they are now. Talking about your suffering just isn't that big a taboo any more.
>>
>>17997144 We haven't a snowballs chance in hell of even addressing the problems we want fixed like racism or social inequality.

Thirty years ago you got a pat on the back for getting your car fixed locally.

Theres no righteousness we dont set our own bar or surmount our own goals. Those are lies to help us accept that we let people continue being american even though its evident this is a bad thing.

I personally feel a little better being lazy and useless but knowing this.
>>
File: suicide_AFSP.png (16KB, 608x352px) Image search: [Google]
suicide_AFSP.png
16KB, 608x352px
>>18000314
>>18000027
The American numbers for suicide are lower now than before the 90's.
>>
>>17997144
Because this is, without a doubt, the most totalitarian age humanity has ever lived in. Sure, people have always wanted to control people's thoughts, but modern technology has made it more possible than ever. Modern identity politics are a result of this, as they are based entirely on determining people's worth according to how they fit into the paradigm.

You're being watched more than ever. Measures of control over you are greater than ever. There's more government and ideology looking over your shoulder than ever. And unlike generations past, you can't run. We've run out of places to go.

And surely someone will come in to point out that the system is quite liberal. And sure, it is. But that's not the point. The point is that the judgemental sword of Damocles is hanging over more heads than ever. And consequently, it makes people feel more lonely than ever, because every person will be different from any other person, and that is now a vector to condemn people.

Previously, some opinion you had was just that, some opinion. Barely judged and quickly forgotten. Today, people insist it's your entire being.
>>
File: dyq094f1.gif (21KB, 440x350px) Image search: [Google]
dyq094f1.gif
21KB, 440x350px
>>18000383
>>18000444
Long term numbers for England and Wales underscores the drastic fall in suicides over the 20th century. Technology and modern civilization are literally saving lives. Don't believe that /pol/ losers that try to make their own suffering and failures the fault of society.
>>
>>18000444
>>18000463
>being alive is the same as being happy

This is pretty much a classic misuse of statistical data.
>>
>>18000469
>"reee people are so depressed"
>"its never been worse"
>"see here are some suicide numbers to prove our point"
>suicides actually lower than ever
>"please refrain from using statistics that doesn't fulfils our predetermined views thanks"

Kys buba.
>>
>>17999343
It's pretty bad. We don't believe in God, we don't really believe in the "fall in love, get married, start a family" thing anymore, because a HUGE percentage of our parents grew to hate each other, divorced, and continued to be miserable. There aren't really good jobs available, the majority of our economy is controlled by do-nothing finance majors who just move money around without actually producing goods and services.

We used to idolize entertainers, but now our entertainment industry is cannibalizing itself too, producing nothing but re-hashes of successful movies/books from a happier time. And if there's still an actor that you like and respect, just check his Twitter feed and see that he's just as stupid as anyone else.

I just don't really see a lot of hope for improvement. I honestly feel that America has run its course, passed our peak, and it's all downhill from here. We made our money, had our great wars, made our great art, and it's all two generations in the past now. We reached the top and got comfortable, and comfort brings decay.
>>
>>18000975
After reading this I kinda understand a lot of what's going on now better than I did before. But with this being in mind what can we do now to ease things or help things get better?
>>
>>17997144
>Why is this generation so depressed?

I think 4chan is coloring your view of reality (aside from the hell of the third world), most people are kinda happy.

WE are not.
>>
>>17997144
Because they're too entitled.
>>
>>18000975
This sounds like something that was written from the perspective of a 14 year old
>>
Maybe because we surround ourselves with like minded people. And since we're depressed, we end up being surrounded by more depressed people.
>>
>>17997144
there gay
>>
Because the current generation was babied and are now a bunch of pussies that want everything catered rather than working for things and now that life fucking smashes their skulls into the ground they're now helpless. Also, social media is gay as fuck, kids don't know how to talk to people anymore. You see this shit on this board all the time, asking how to talk to a girl, talk to them like people. But... yeah social media and overprotection of emotions are at play here for all this fags being depressed. It's all in your head, it's a huge world, go out and explore dumbass
>>
>>17998628
Chill out, Tyler.
>>
>>17997153
I had an idea, my few normie friends pressured me into making an instagram and I don't use it at all so why not just take pictures of things like walls, floor tiles, grass and the sky. It feels more honest, most of my life isn't fun and eventful, it's mundane just like most people's. This is honestly the only way I could use shit social media without spouting memes or killing myself.
>>
>>18002224
Well, I'm partly agree. But I think when you put too much on what other will think people about your picture, that point you will be overly self-conscious. Just take picture a moment that looks good to you then it's already enough.

I don't post photos myself. I rather keep it myself and rather show it personally to other people. At least that's my way of being sincere to myself.
>>
>>17998628
Let me translate in rational thinking that for you
>An entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables, slaves with white collars
=Current generation is too poorly educated to get jobs doing anything better despite their protests to the contrary
>working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need
=Current generation has a negative attitude towards work and doesn't have the willpower to resist materialism despite looking down on it
>We're the middle children of the history man, no purpose or place, we have no Great war, no Great depression, our great war is a spiritual war, our great depression is our lives, we've been all raised by television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars, but we won't and we're slowly learning that fact. and we're very very pissed off.
=Current generation is full of entitled brats who fooled themselves into thinking they were special then try to blame their inevitable feelings of disappointment on other people
>>
>>17997846
I'd say it's the fault of our forefathers as well. There was absolutely no good reason to give women or faggots equal rights.
>>
I think it's because life has gotten so much more comfortable now and with that comfort comes stagnation. No one feels challenged enough in their lives so they never grow as people and then they get older and wonder why they are so lost.
>>
>>17998941
Wise.
>>
>>18002720
This. Im 18 and in college and have been changing my life. I've been working hard towards great goals i created while everyone else parties and wonders y life sucks.
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.