[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one start the conversation about anti-depressant meds?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: new banner.png (57KB, 410x151px) Image search: [Google]
new banner.png
57KB, 410x151px
How does one start the conversation about anti-depressant meds?

What is life like on them?
>>
I'm on anti-depressant meds and

Pros: - I sleep finally more than a couple of hours and feel refreshed when waking up
- I can actually focus and concentrate on things
- I'm better able to manage my emotions and thoughts and behaviour

Cons:
- I can't enjoy masturbation half as much as I used to. It takes a lot for me to get off which is a downer but, considering how I was before, I'll work that part out with my doc.

Has a doc been talking with you about whether or not it's best for you to be on them?
>>
>>17996304
I've only asked about them. I'm seeing an on-campus shrink and she said she can set me up with the on campus Psychaitrist.

The only thing is she said "Yeah they'll ask you some questions and give you a prescription" which seems impersonal.

My main concern is it changing who I am as a person. Like I may be a fucking crazy person but I'm still me. I'm already kind of disassociated from myself in a negative way and I don't want to *really* not be able to recognize myself.
>>
>>17996323
Here's the thing, meds don't change who you are anon and neither does being diagnosed. You aren't whatever it is you're dealing with. You're still you.

Taking meds is only helpful in most cases in that it helps the chemicals in your brain stabilize to where they should be so that you can effectively learn to manage your thoughts and feelings and actions better.

It was pretty impersonal what that person said to you and I'd be very wary about that kind of attitude. Meds aren't for everyone. Not everyone needs them. Be your own advocate anon. Even though you're going through a difficult time right now mentally, you're not crazy and you're not stupid. Ask lots of questions from the psychiatrist. Be brutally honest. Tell them how you feel about it all. If you ever feel like maybe they aren't taking into consideration your thoughts and feelings, find a different doc you're comfortable with.
>>
>>17996356
Thank you.
>>
>>17996362
You're welcome. I hope i helped in some way. I understand being worried about the meds changing who you are. I've felt worried about that myself. It's been an adjustment for me having to go to sleep earlier than usual and having to change my study habits. I used to easily stay up well past 0100 in order to finish all of my assignments and study effectively. Now I can barely make it past 2200. I'm learning to see that a lot of what I used to do isn't healthy for me and isn't part of what makes me who I am.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.