[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programming/Coding isn't for me, what do now?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 1467675748930.jpg (59KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1467675748930.jpg
59KB, 1280x720px
I'm taking a entry level programming and realized I don't want to do this kind of work for a living. I wanted to do coding because it's "safe" job choice but if I contintued it I'd be terrible.

So what else is there? I like reading,writing and enjoyed my Psy and Eng classes but I've always read getting an English degree is like throwing your money away. I just want a nice sit-down job where I can use my brain but if not coding, then what?
>>
>>17982193
>I've always read getting an English degree is like throwing your money away
>I just want to use my brain
Well, then start now and stop listening to people who say stuff like that. If you enjoy it, do it. Otherwise there's no point.
>>
>>17982193
Like other anon said, do what you like to do.

Don't pick something because it's "safe", "easy", or "pays great". If you find something you actually like to do and supports you financially, you're set for life.
>>
>>17982193
A branch of engineering could be better for you. Still sitting down and solving problems, but more practical than programming.

Or possibly economics/finance, more sitting down and brain-heavy problem solving, but a bit more theoretical than practical. English would play more of a part with economics than engineering.

That, or writing. You can try freelance but I hear that that's incredibly difficult nowadays unless you write erotica; so I'd say a solid career choice and writing as a hobby that could develop into a career.
>>
I know that feel bro. I'm in the same boat. Programming is a BASTARD to learn and I WANT to be a progammer!

>>17982278
>>17982341
This is good advice, but the economy is a cruel bitch. The funner the degree, the higher that chances that that field is filled to capacity.

In order to succeed, hell, in order to not be stuck as a Barista, you HAVE to network, which is the hardest part (assuming you're introverted, which I'm 99% sure you are because you're browsing a Latvian Taijustu Forum)

Trust me, I was a hermit during my Communications degree and I've been unemployable for 2 years.
>>
File: 1485130931394.png (1MB, 500x1388px) Image search: [Google]
1485130931394.png
1MB, 500x1388px
I'm for once a (professional) programmer in a consulting company and let me tell you - if you don't enjoy it at all, leave it or try it out in the future if you eventually changed your mind and want to give it another try.

Generally career advice is terrible because 'studying out fun' is simply put, a really bad idea in 2017. You're best set to study something in demand (STEM), Law, Accounting/Business Adminstration and get do a lot of networking, hobby-projects, work-experience and skillsets (simple programming. f.e.) on the side and put this on your resume.

You're not getting solely employed for your degree but for the activities while you studied.
Keep that in mind. Better bust your ass 3-6 years off and do it right then living with the bitter pill of regret. Programming is easy. Learning the frameworks is easy. Someone just need to put in the time and effort. It's a skill like anything else. The more you struggle the more difficult it gets.

I liked philosophy and history for example pretty much and even visited lectures when I had time time back in University. I think it was one of my smartest decisions not study what I really love but something I can arrange and motivate myself with. Keep in mind not everyone need to go to University and it's sometimes smarter 'just' doing a trade. Most people in trade nowadays are better off than University graduates. Keep that in mind aswell.
>>
>>17983274
And to add: Don't jump too fast into something. Do some internships or give yourself 1 gap-year and travel, build things and explore. Just something where you can find ambitions and motivation. I would tend to the internships because you get a firsthand experience in the worklife-world.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.