[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some of the most effective ways to fight depression?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 2

File: 1483478626519_copy.jpg (41KB, 439x500px) Image search: [Google]
1483478626519_copy.jpg
41KB, 439x500px
What are some of the most effective ways to fight depression?
>>
>>17981471

Working out, vitamin D3, raw chocolate, Thc
>>
Support groups, confiding in friends and family you trust, meds, meditation, copious amounts of coping skills. What're your coping skills anon? What have you tried so far?
>>
>>17981471
Exercise and lifting.

Sunlight or vitamin D if lack thereof.

Steady sleep schedule.

Having some form of purpose in life.
>>
>>17981674
coping skills? what does that mean?
not OP btw
>>
>>17981501
>THC

stop projecting you stoner
>>
>>17982311
>coping skills
learning to deal with new problems instead of just letting them weigh you down.

>>17981471
doing things. the best way to get that feeling of 'i dont want literally anything' is to suffer through doing a couple of things, then doing more and more.

i know it can be hard to get up, take a shower, and get dressed. but you just need to force yourself to do something, anything, and more will come.

this is more advice on dealing with it day to day. long term can be a much harder task that usually involves living a healthier lifestyle, therapy, support networks, and even sometimes medication.

it can be very hard to find help and you cant do it by yourself. so ask someone you tryst for heup. tell them you want them to encourage you to do better and find services that heup you learn to deal with living with it.

if its real depression you will live with it forever, but you dont have to live in sadness.
>>
>>17982338
what would be good examples of coping skills?
when I run into problems I usually just ignore them.
>>
>>17981471
Exercise
>>
>>17982348
positive counterthoughts and box breathing when it comes to negative thoughts

positive activities lists and box breathing when it comes to negative feelings

independant affirmation, active listening and positive counterthoughts when it comes to relationships

stoicism, goal systems, journaling, and record keeping in general.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoicism

will elaborate if needed (especially cause terms used for these are often nonstandard) but i dont know what you already know so tell me which ones youre interested in.
>>
>>17982386
what is box breathing?
and this stuff sounds rough, lying down and forgeting my problems is easy.
>>
>>17982396
I like box breathing too! It's super helpful for me. I'm not the guy who answers you before but you're right, it is easier to just lay down and give up. It's a total cop out. You're worth it anon even if you don't feel like it and believe it of yourself. It's hard living with a mood disorder and I too want to lay down and not wake up sometimes. I keep fighting and getting up because I refuse to allow my disorder to control me. You can do this anon. We're here for you. You can get up. You're worth it.
>>
>>17982396
box breathing is

>breathe in till youre full of air
>hold it for three seconds
>breathe out till youre close to out of air
>hold it for three seconds

calms you down and resets your mood. helps with anger, anxiety, and sadness. can end a panic attack if you can focus on it. its challenging enough to get you to stop thinking about what you were thinking, and just focus on breathing. the bottom hold is very important because ;ou really have to try. take it easy if you get lightheaded and instead of seconds, once you calm down a bit (and if you can hear it) do three heartbeats.
>>
>>17982396
>and this stuff sounds rough, lying down and forgeting my problems is easy.
well shit anon
do you want easy or do you want the most effective ways to fight depression?
>>
Not being self-centered
Being grateful for what you have
Considering your luck compared to others less-fortunate
Exercise and natural release of endorphins
Embracing the emptiness of life
Filling the emptiness with positive goals
Embracing that depression is inevtiable
Embracing that depressive disorders are largely a modern ailment
Embracing that humans require a goal (so make some)
Being happy that youre in a rut, meaning you that your potential for levelling up is quite high
Freeing yourself from the pressures of society
Following your own path to happiness
Realizing all people get depressed
Realizing all people want the same thing (true happiness)
Realizing the generosity and serving others helps them relieve their stressed (and eases their depressions)
Realizing that all things must pass

These are just some of the thoughts you can counterbalance with the depressive thoughts.

Everyone gets them, but how one deals with it separates those who are weak (suicide, given up, spiralling further) to those with a strong mind (acceptance, non-avoidance, non-aversion, honest, forthrightness)
>>
>>17982459
thats a good point but the way I see it, if my natural instinct is to give up, should I actually try? obviously this means that I've failed. I don't feel a reason to do anything
>>
>>17982472
>should I actually try?
yes. your point of veiw is reactionary to your circumstance, you have not failed. try anon. if yiu fail at least you tried and if you succeed you will be happier and healthier. win-win.
>>
>>17982460
>Realizing all people get depressed
>all people have a medical mental disorder.
kys just for that
>>
>>17982493
Everyone suffers from mild depression from time to time

What youre referring to is clinical depression which is a mental illness
>>
Dark chocolate, pushups, LSD, DMT, red wine, positive mindset, spirituality, ditching atheism, good weed, good music, get your shit together before investing in other people's lives (Don't worry about getting a gf if you don't even have money saved or a career building.)

Just be stoic, grateful, and disciplined.
>>
>>17982472
>thats a good point but the way I see it, if my natural instinct is to give up, should I actually try? obviously this means that I've failed. I don't feel a reason to do anything

how do you know that's your natural instinct and not your depression or whatever.
fuck anon if you want something you'll go and do it

what else can you do?
give up?
eventually you'll be back here asking the same questions. it will not get you anywhere.

making a change in your life is not easy. that is the problem. you run in to a wall. or dip or a point where things get hard and if you then stop you'll never push through.

at that point you have to power through

> I don't feel a reason to do anything
write down what you want from life. what do you want to do? are you doing things that get you closer to what you think life should be? have you ever asked yourself shit like that? figure out what is important to you and what isn't and then go do the important bits.
>>
My big thing is loneliness. I have 0 friends. How can I make them :(
>>
>>17982571
take a class, internet date, go to bars/clubs.
>>
>>17982590
Too ugly for internet dating, too young for bars. :(
>>
>>17982571
go do a thing where you will meet new people
group of people to get to know
go to meetups
or
>>17982590
>take a class
this
>>
>>17982613
>Too ugly for internet dating
post face
>>
File: IMG_20161124_182515715.jpg (2MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161124_182515715.jpg
2MB, 2340x4160px
>>17982619
There's a huge rock climbing gym near by, I've been thinking about starting to go.
Also been thinking about bowling league but that's for old people.
What kind of classes can I take? I'm not in uni btw

>>17982626
Pic related. Its pretty old but haven't changed. Can't take a new one right now. Nothing that will show more of my face either
>>
>>17981880
>Having some form of purpose in life.

So much this. This right here is my problem. I have no reason to do anything, so i don't.
>>
>>17982668
not too ugly for internet dating. get a haircut so you look like an adult.
>>
>>17982696
I dont know what to cut it to, I've had this haircut for ages.
Also, I'm 3/10 at best. You have to be at least average to date
>>
>>17982714
tell the stlist to pick a cut that compliments your headshape. if yiu dont like it it will grow back

>I'm 3/10 at best. You have to be at least average to date
THATS THE CONFIDENCE GIRLS ARE LOOKING FOR
>>
>>17982733
>THATS THE CONFIDENCE GIRLS ARE LOOKING FOR

:^) alpha af
>>
I can definitely vouch for rock climbing. It clears my mind completely of any shit I have going on, plus you can get fairly built from it too
>>
>>17982733
>>17982735
But seriously, why bother if I can't change how I look? I'll just get turned down every time
>>
>>17982747
>be you
>not be ugly
>have so little confidence that girls find you unnatractive
>i cant change it hurr durr

dude. get a haircut, wear clother that fit, have the assumption that you're good looking (or at least pretend), then get laid.

quit beieg a pussy.
>>
>>17982760
If I assume I'm a bird, can I fly too?
>>
>>17982936
You've just been told you're not unattractive, stop telling yourself what you want to hear.
>>
>>17981471
Adrenaline. Go free-fall parachuting, buy a motorcycle and do track days, etc...
>>
It's all about finding your niche and dedicating yourself to it. Activity fuels the production of certain endorphins in your brain which help you feel happy. This "activity" could be a variety of things but typically it just involves improvement in any general field of your life which could include a working out, a hobby, school or your work.

Make sure you also talk to people. Isolation will just make things worse. Evaluating your diet and making sure you're getting all the nutrients you need will also help as well as having a proper sleep schedule.
>>
>>17982668
>too ugly to internet date

Are you fucking serious? I'm way uglier than you and I was able to get a boyfriend online. What the shit nigga, this is just fishing
>>
>>17983098
what if I never find it? nothing holds my interest, I'd rather just sleep
>>
>>17983133
Is there anything you don't like about yourself? Anything you wish you could change?
>>
>>17983144
as in my image? I'm short, thin and weak, but I think I look attractive. I take good care of my hair and skin, and if I see my reflection I have to check myself out.
but I don't know how other people see me
>>
>>17982668
Fucking hell you look pathetic. Cut your hair shorter, get neater clothing and you'd look more confident.
>>
>>17983158
If you feel you're thin and weak, change that. Start lifting and get strong. You don't need a good reason to improve yourself, you just have to do it. The biggest hurdle is motivation but once you find it, you won't stop
>>
>>17983105
Because you are female and don't looks pathetic like
>>17983159
Says
>>
>>17981471
Get some sun
Exercise
Continue doing things you loved even though they may not be fun anymore
>>
>>17983174
Nah, I'm a dude
>>
>>17983192
Dating pool is a lot smaller for gays. Girls can choose anyone else other than me
>>
>>17981471
Prescription medication and a great medical support team.
Seriously.
>>
>>17983164
>thin and weak
I accept these traits as a part of me, I don't feel I need to change them. I don't see them as bad things, just as descriptions
>>
>>17983180
I'd like to really, but I just don't have the energy
>>
>>17983214
Weak is and always has been a negative trait. It sucks to be weak.

Luckily you can get stronger, so it's one of the most curable negative traits. I myself have bad eyesight, this will never change, but at least I am strong in will and physique and I'm positive I'd feel much worse if I wasn't.
>>
>>17981471
With experience. Go skybdiving, rock climbing, hiking, exploring, mountain climbing do something that gets your heart pumping, get your blood flowing, do some exercise.
Please forgive me if I sound harsh, but stop sitting around feeling sorry for yourself and go do something you've never done, rinse and repeat until you've forgotten what a sad sack you were. And you'll have some awesome stories to tell and some memories that willblast a lifetime.
Never underestimate the therapeutic value of travelling
>>
>>17981471
Meds, psychotherapy, excersise, opening up to people, drawing/writing, good rest and day and night rhitm and vipassana meditation (google it).

Don't totally socially isolate yourself

t. hospitalized depression patient
>>
>Recognize when you start feeling sad
>Get behind your sadness with a knife
>Stab in into it's back and rip out it's fucking kidney
>Sell kidney
>Buy drugs
>???
>Profit!
>>
>>17982668
Kane motherfucking Russi!
>>
>>17981471
Exercise
Therapy
Medication
Socializing
Eating and sleeping regularly
Medication
Sunlight
Medication
Medication
Medication

>>17982460
This is like Live Laugh Love but for edgy neckbeards. Don't listen to this idiot.
>>
Take enough vitamin D to kill a 12 year old on an Indonesian goat market forum.
>>
>>17982460

You've clearly gone through depression and know what you're talking about, 10/10 post.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.