[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want my resume to look really professional, but every time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: P_20170120_135922.jpg (1MB, 2304x4096px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170120_135922.jpg
1MB, 2304x4096px
I want my resume to look really professional, but every time I print it off, the gray boxes come out with lines and do not look solid. It makes it look amateur.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

>pic related, my resume
>>
A 'professional' resume doesn't rely on gimmicky fonts to serve its purpose.
>>
>>17976139
Wait, its all in Times New Roman. If you're referring to the font used in the gray boxes its TNR too, the boxes are to freshen it up and make it easy on the eyes
>>
>>17976139
Im talking about the line in picture, by the way. The solid gray rectangle. Its not coming out solid and looks patchy with lines in it. If you look closely youll see what I mean.

I was just wondering if there was a way to fix this
>>
>>17976139
Oh, I think I know what you mean. You're saying the gray boxes in picture are tacky? Only to grab attention? I mean, yeah they are -- that's the point.

But what I'm saying is that I want it to look professional, and eye-grabbing in a good way.

I looked at some lawyer's resume in my town and his looked like this, so I thought I could emulate it.
>>
When it comes to resumes. Less is better. I can already tell you put too much in the top section talking about yourself and then the descriptions of your "jobs" or whatever those are are also too long.

The boxes are also a bad idea like someone else pointed out. HR is going to look at your education and previous job experience. They don't care if it looks flashy. They're going to look at it regardless. It just needs to be simple.
>>
>>17976171
It's a rough draft, I'm definitely not sending this out anytime soon. I just wanted to update it.

Thank you. I figured it was too long. I'll cut the top part a bit.

I just hate having a resume that doesn't at least look like I put effort in -- to me that's when its just a wall of bullet points or a bunch of blank white spaces in between sections.

I dont know, but I'll take all the suggestions I can get /adv/
>>
File: resume.png (60KB, 522x708px) Image search: [Google]
resume.png
60KB, 522x708px
I my as well post my full resume for critique I guess
>>
LF professional development pls whisper
>>
>>17976196
1. Employers look at your resume for 30 seconds. Too much text. Structure is good. The entry text is way too long. Nothing more than 3 short sentences.
2. Education is too short. More description, more of what you did before.
3. No awards section. Unless it helps the employer see you're fit for the position, because blah blah. (Same goes to hobbies and stuff like that).
4. Don't switch between flush left and center all the time. Center (and even caps) looks extremely formal and boring. Unless you're job requires this. Still, don't switch. Do one thing and that good.
5. The general alignment is good, well designed. Throw out the horizontal lines, they serve no purpose. Makes my eyes hurt.
6. You put the text nearly all the way to the border, because you had lots to say. Make it short and don't use up so much space, it's more dynamic and shows that you can communicate clearly with less words.

Personally, I wouldn't employ you. Not because of the design, but because of the crazy difference between your education and experience section. You can't just put your degree there and be done with and then describe what you did as a research assistant in book length. Write one or two more sentences per educatiom entry and shorten the experience section quite a bit and it will be good.

Remember that rule: Employers will look at your resume for 30 seconds. They look at dozens of them every day, if yours is painful to read then, well, next.
>>
>>17976270
To clarify, with horizontal lines I meant the black ones, not the gray ones. Those are good, good design choice.
>>
>>17976270
Thank you, I've take note of all this.

I just thought that my bachelors was only good for a stepping stone. I didn't realize it was so important to employers. I'll add a bit of what I've done in college -- thank you.

I came in with the idea that career experience was more important than education. I mean, I'm most likely applying for a political party in the distant future. So there's that.

I am a recent graduate, but I just thought a bachelors was only so good as a piece of paper to show and nothing much more than that.

I'll shorten it a bit, maybe 1 line per bullet point.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
>>
>>17976309
As in, I'd particularly want to keep the "citizenship award" part because it shows that I'm involved in my community and an active citizen, at least when I was in highschool.

I get what you're saying, I'll shorten it to be more concise, with stuff like my Research Assistant job, I do want to keep it quite descriptive to show I got my foot in the door with my local government... if im going into a local political party idk
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.